• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Standard Dream Drive doesn’t have lane centering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"
  • DreamDrive™ Pro expands computing and sensor hardware – including first automotive LIDAR in North America – and major new functions to be delivered with seamless over-the-air software updates"
Does it mean with DD Pro, those who chose not to get Pro will not see OTA updates? Perhaps Tesla is the same with Auto Pilot vs FSD. I opted for DD Pro more for safety than anything else.

"
  • DreamDrive™ Pro expands computing and sensor hardware – including first automotive LIDAR in North America – and major new functions to be delivered with seamless over-the-air software updates"
Does it mean with DD Pro, those who chose not to get Pro will not see OTA updates? Perhaps Tesla is the same with Auto Pilot vs FSD. I opted for DD Pro more for safety than anything else.
Not really, DD Pro is the Tesla AutoPilot version with no more.

Not really, DD Pro is the Tesla AutoPilot version with no more.
DD seems to offer lot more than Tesla Auto Pilot. Tesla FSD Beta as they call it now does not promise any more than DD Pro. Tesla claims that it is hardware ready for Level 5 ADAS. I disagree. Tesla discontinued Radar and parking sensors on new models and they tout just Cameras with AI can do Level 5. I cannot understand how cameras and AI can compensate for lack of sensors like Sonar, Radar and Lidar.

DD seems to offer lot more than Tesla Auto Pilot. Tesla FSD Beta as they call it now does not promise any more than DD Pro. Tesla claims that it is hardware ready for Level 5 ADAS. I disagree. Tesla discontinued Radar and parking sensors on new models and they tout just Cameras with AI can do Level 5. I cannot understand how cameras and AI can compensate for lack of sensors like Sonar, Radar and Lidar.
Does the DD have at least lane centering and adaptive control?

Does the DD have at least lane centering and adaptive control?
If what they in this link is correct, Lane centering and adaptive cruise control seem to be part of DD Pro. That is not a good thing.
"The Highway Assist feature helps reduce the burden of long-distance driving fatigue by allowing the driver to take their hands off the wheel. It combines adaptive cruise control and lane-centering assistance to keep the vehicle cruising along on the freeway at a safe distance from the car ahead while staying fixed to its lane. With upgraded DreamDrive Pro, this semi-autonomous system will offer more advanced functionality on an expanding number of roadways in the coming years. "

"
You’ll get OTA updates, in general. They’re just saying that additional features for DD Pro, if you have the hardware, will be delivered OTA.

Read the "What is Lucid DreamDrive" link that's a few posts up. It spells the difference out for you.

Read the "What is Lucid DreamDrive" link that's a few posts up. It spells the difference out for you.
I already did and contacted my sales representative and all confirmed that DD will not have the highway assist (lane centering) which is a feature of DD Pro. Thanks for the suggestion!

I understand where you’re coming from. I will say the 360 view on the Lucid is unparalleled by any other maker in terms of detail and clarity, largely due to the additional cameras.

I don’t think you’re going to change Lucid’s mind; I’m just trying to explain the differences.

I think it is a mistake to look at any individual feature and the pricing of it when picking a car. I think one should identify what one wants in a car and then see which cars offer that and at what cost. Is it performance? Is it range? Is it speed of charging? Is it type (SUV/Sedan/etc.)? And then one should identify those more particular features and refine the analysis. If 360 view is important to you, then plan on spending the money for DD Pro or look elsewhere BMW, MB and Audi all make fine electric cars with different features and price points.

You're putting Lucid and money grab in the same paragraph where you are suggesting Tesla isn't doing the same thing with FSD? 15k to make my car try to kill bicyclists and phantom brake every ten minutes?

Lots of people here have said they prefer driving their own car to having the computer drive, anyway. FSD is not having your car drive for you. It's way worse than that. It's you having to watch over a teenager on their first drive, every single day. And they never get any better at it. So you have to keep taking over as you almost crash into something.

Until one day you wise up, realize you wasted your money, and turn off FSD for the rest of the car's life.

I can't fathom why people prefer that to just driving themselves, but I have lots of friends who do. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

If DDPro isn't worth 10k to you, that's cool. You are not a customer for Dream Drive Pro. And if you think the Tesla is a better value because it has lane centering without paying the extra, then keep your Tesla, or buy another one. I'm glad Tesla is still out there for people who prioritize those specific features. They are fine cars with plenty of satisfied customers.

What drove me to Lucid is all the ways they are not Tesla. Sure, they need to compete and offer some similar features, but I like that there are more EVs available now, designed with different philosophies and priorities. To me, the extra interior room and efficiency, the 360 cameras, the larger auto-closing frunk, the far classier visual design cues, and the all-around better ride quality all make Touring a better value. And they make Lucid a more valuable brand.

But no reason folks can't disagree with me. To each their own. Land of the free and all that.
I can’t say enough ^ this. Tesla drove me away with its lack of focus on the vehicle and driving experience and its heavy focus on its software as a service stack. I like driving and pay for that experience.

I don't think I've seen a single reviewer or owner who has compared both to pick the model s over the Lucid. But to each their own!
Technically, Kyle did choose the Model S on Out Of Specs due to software and the hatchback. He clearly noted it wasn’t the better drive though.

Technically, Kyle did choose the Model S on Out Of Specs due to software and the hatchback. He clearly noted it wasn’t the better drive though.
True he did, but the I was responding to the comment about the lack of air suspension making the Lucid not as good of a drive compared to the Model S.

When I talked to my SA, I was told that DD is equivalent of Tesla AP. DDPro is equivalent of Tesla FSD. That being said, it will be quite disappointing if SA sells you on the wrong information. Like others have mentioned even the most basic cars now day have some sort of Active Lane correction. I really hope that DD has active lane centering. LiDAR is not needed for lane centering, I totally understand if people are paying extra 9K to “future proof“ their car but again it’s a future promise. Not something Lucid can deliver on today. And not to bash on Lucid, Tesla who has been collecting data and promising these things for years, even they haven’t been able to offer true Full self driving. They still have phantom braking issues… I own a Tesla but not a huge fan, hence making my move over to Lucid. I don’t see how Lucid can deliver on this promise even in the next couple years considering that Tesla is years ahead of most MFR and can’t deliver on this to date.

All being said, no matter what the MFR can program in a software update and is capable of doing. Level 3 autonomy is only offered on 1 car MFR at this point - Mercedes Benz S class. You have to get approval from the government and the MFR needs to demonstrate several millions miles of data to get that approval. BMW was also promising level 3 autonomy and have failed to demonstrate this and fell short on this promise. BMW ix was supposed to release level 3 autonomy in January of 2022. So if legacy automakers who have been in the works for years can’t demonstrate this and can‘t get government approval, I see no hope of Lucid reaching this point even in next 3 years. You have to realize there are two parts to this problem - software evolving and approval from the government which won’t happen unless you have millions of miles of data of full self driving. So honestly, DDPro is not even worth it because by the time it will be official, something better would be in the market. FSD is considered ‘level 5 autonomy’, but to my point earlier only Mercedes has received official approval on Level 3 autonomy to date.

Every automaker can advertise what they want, but due to legal reasons, we are still several years behind on this feature. Sure LiDAR is considered the future, but how fast tech obsoletes, it wouldn’t surprise me if LiDAR is a dead end and few years from now something else will be on the market. And unlike Tesla, Lucid has not advertised upgrade of the hardware in the future if you pay for DDpro package today. Tesla will actually upgrade your hardware in the future if you paid for it today. Just my 2 cents, but DDPro is not the future. Software will have to keep up with hardware and you may be paying for outdated hardware if things become “official“ 3 years from now. We already are at the 1-year mark with some of the early Dream Owners, so what’s another couple years?

Sure LiDAR is considered the future, but how fast tech obsoletes, it wouldn’t surprise me if LiDAR is a dead end and few years from now something else will be on the market.
Lucid's current LiDAR is direct time of flight dTOF, next generation will likely be frequency modulated continuous wave FMCW because FMCW provides an objects position and velocity in one scan. dTOF requires mulltiple scans to determine an objects velocity. You are correct the technology will evolve but I am betting that some of the benefits of LiDAR (distance and resolution of angular position) will occur long before it can be replaced at a reasonable price.

Lucid's current LiDAR is direct time of flight dTOF, next generation will likely be frequency modulated continuous wave FMCW because FMCW provides an objects position and velocity in one scan. dTOF requires mulltiple scans to determine an objects velocity. You are correct the technology will evolve but I am betting that some of the benefits of LiDAR (distance and resolution of angular position) will occur long before it can be replaced at a reasonable price.
I agree with your comment about LiDAR and future iterations of LiDAR. But aside from hardware evolvement, we are also taking a gamble that Lucid will be able to successfully seek full approval from the government to officially offer autonomous driving on their vehicles. They may have to do the same thing as Tesla where they offer a beta version of the software. We all know betas are buggy and not the actual thing. Also, if I am not mistaken DDPro is a semi-autonomous system for 9K, while Tesla is considered “Fully autonomous’ for 15K.

Personally I was hesitant when Elon went to vision only ADAS, however, if it makes the things affordable for the end user, I am all for it. You don’t need LiDAR to self drive the car. And not sure if anyone has experimented with LiDAR even on their phones, but to process that much data, you need one hell of a processing power to make decisions on the fly. LiDAR has a lot of data points to collect and process. We are talking about gigabytes worth of data to process On the fly. And I do not believe yo are getting a better computing unit as part of the 9K. Just more sensors, cameras and a LiDAR.

Personally I was hesitant when Elon went to vision only ADAS, however, if it makes the things affordable for the end user, I am all for it. You don’t need LiDAR to self drive the car. And not sure if anyone has experimented with LiDAR even on their phones, but to process that much data, you need one hell of a processing power to make decisions on the fly. LiDAR has a lot of data points to collect and process. We are talking about gigabytes worth of data to process On the fly. And I do not believe yo are getting a better computing unit as part of the 9K. Just more sensors, cameras and a LiDAR.
I think the part that gets lost is that Lucid is not developing their own self driving tech. They are leveraging all the data and work that NVIDIA is doing and has access to all that data of which MB is included in feeding their system data back to NVIDIA. This is where I truly believe Lucid and other manufacturers can leap frog Tesla because they are pooling their resources and data together instead of being stubborn and doing it on their own.

You're certainly getting additional hardware - which will sit there, depreciating, until the accompanying software arrives. The DD Pro buyer has to guess the chance that the paid-for system will actually become good early enough in the car's useful life that the up-front five-figure expenditure is worth it.

Hopefully they will allow the press to see the DD Pro functionality on unchaperoned cars prior to the first Touring configuration lock-ins.
Bingo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back