Standard Dream Drive doesn’t have lane centering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Model S just laying my hand on the yoke is enough resistance to keep the nag warning from appearing. Is this the case with Lucid or do you find you need to actually torque the wheel?
See above. You can keep your hand on the wheel and just squeeze it enough for it to know you’re there. If it complains, give it a slightly tighter squeeze or move your hand. It’s not annoying.

I believe it is still adaptive cruise, not dynamic cruise. Just no lane centering. I hope I am right (I am still on the cusp of a decision as to whether to add Pro to my build).
Just a shame that it does not come with lane centering. For the price of the car that is expected and will put it behind the competition.

Just a shame that it does not come with lane centering. For the price of the car that is expected and will put it behind the competition.
A similarly specced model S will run you 114k. So it's actually right in line with the competition.

False statement. Similar spec Model S is around $105 when compared to Touring. I paid $77k for mine new. And it comes with lane centering, which was my point.
Can you buy a 77k new model s right now? The cheapest spec is still 105k unless I'm missing something?

Can you buy a 77k new model s right now? The cheapest spec is still 105k unless I'm missing something?
You are missing the point. You can buy a Model S for $105, which includes lane centering and comparable options to a Touring. Touring has no lane centering unless you get Dream Pro. That is not competitive. Not sure how else to explain it.

I have a Touring on order, so I am not being a Tesla fanboy. Lucid needs to add lane centering as standard to be competitive, especially in this day and age. BMW has it part of package, that is less than 2k, as do other car manufactures.

You are missing the point. You can buy a Model S for $105, which includes lane centering and comparable options to a Touring. Touring has no lane centering unless you get Dream Pro. That is not competitive. Not sure how else to explain it.

I have a Touring on order, so I am not being a Tesla fanboy. Lucid needs to add lane centering as standard to be competitive, especially in this day and age. BMW has it part of package, that is less than 2k, as do other car manufactures.
I'd guess that once Lucid gets through a large chunk of their 30k+ reservations, they'll take a closer look at the features needed to be competitive. For now though, they are what they are, and much like the cable packages of old (or maybe still), everyone laments that they have to buy the next package up to get the one channel they really want.

My guess is since Lucid isn’t selling DDPro as a magical future where steering wheels no longer exist, they want to keep some features that are actually real in the Pro package. Right now, that includes highway assist. Maybe in the future, when they get some more advanced features shipped, they will move lane centering into the non-pro category? Depends on whether their implementation relies on LiDAR at all.

I agree, to be competitive long-term, they will probably want to do that. For now, it’s all about what the market will bear. And they currently have more reservations than they can build, at least for the next year or two.

It isn’t “hands free” because it still wants you to keep your hands on the wheel . . . .

I thought the camera aimed at the driver's face was supposed to detect inattention and eliminate the need to keep one's hand on the wheel? Is that a feature waiting for a future update?

I prefer driving a car myself in almost all circumstances . . . and that would certainly remain the case if Dream Drive Pro requires me to keep my hands on the wheel, anyway.

I thought the camera aimed at the driver's face was supposed to detect inattention and eliminate the need to keep one's hand on the wheel? Is that a feature waiting for a future update?

I prefer driving a car myself in almost all circumstances . . . and that would certainly remain the case if Dream Drive Pro requires me to keep my hands on the wheel, anyway.
Lucid uses double detection - hands on steering wheel and eyes forward. If either condition is not met for 6 seconds (give or take), it objects. If and when L3 automation is introduced, then we are supposed to be able to go hands free.

I do think lane centering should be made available in DreamDrive or offer another upgrade path for less than $10K. The "Driver Assistance" packages on the German brands run at around $2K to $4K. I see DreamDrive Pro as more perks in the autonomous area like hands free for extended periods of time on the freeway, auto park, summon, auto lane change, Level 3 (although I think Lucid has moved away from this promise) etc. The price point of the Pure and Touring should come standard with ACC & Lane Centering with DreamDrive.

Correct me if i'm wrong but ACC & Lane Centering comes standard with Tesla Autopilot that's included on all models. it's all the other bullshit that Elon has promised and yet to deliver that's in the FSD for $15K now.

Lucid uses double detection - hands on steering wheel and eyes forward. If either condition is not met for 6 seconds (give or take), it objects. If and when L3 automation is introduced, then we are supposed to be able to go hands free.
Correct.

Every car from every car maker lacks some features or makes them optional. BMW, e.g., makes most ADAS features optional as you note. Now add in the features that Lucid Touring has as standard that BMW doesn't. If lane centering is that important to you, and you don't want to buy dream drive pro, buy a Tesla! For me, adaptive cruise control is important, lane centering not so much. I still like to drive my cars.

I am still on the cusp of a decision on whether to add DD Pro to my Pure. I figure I have most of a year before I need to make that decision. But the absence of lane centering won't be a cause for me to not go forward with the purchase. More important to me is surround view and parking assist.

I do think lane centering should be made available in DreamDrive or offer another upgrade path for less than $10K. The "Driver Assistance" packages on the German brands run at around $2K to $4K. I see DreamDrive Pro as more perks in the autonomous area like hands free for extended periods of time on the freeway, auto park, summon, auto lane change, Level 3 (although I think Lucid has moved away from this promise) etc. The price point of the Pure and Touring should come standard with ACC & Lane Centering with DreamDrive.

Correct me if i'm wrong but ACC & Lane Centering comes standard with Tesla Autopilot that's included on all models. it's all the other bullshit that Elon has promised and yet to deliver that's in the FSD for $15K now.
It's enhanced ap for 6k and then fsd for additional to 15k I believe.

I agree. My 2022 Model S came standard with lane centering, ACC, and lane change camera (albeit in a stupid location) with the option to upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot (auto lane change, etc.) for $6K and Full Self Driving for $15K. I don't place a value on auto park or summon type of functionality so I'm not clear what extra driving experience I'm getting with Dream Drive Pro at this point when adding on to a Touring order and why I'm being charged $10K for lesser functionality than what Tesla offers in the $6K Enhanced Auto option. If they had also released auto lane change with this update it could at least be somewhat comparable. I get that they are talking about adding advanced functions in the future, but the price for the premium functions should reflect the capabilities at the time of purchase for early adopters and it feels like a money grab.

I agree. My 2022 Model S came standard with lane centering, ACC, and lane change camera (albeit in a stupid location) with the option to upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot (auto lane change, etc.) for $6K and Full Self Driving for $15K. I don't place a value on auto park or summon type of functionality so I'm not clear what extra driving experience I'm getting with Dream Drive Pro at this point when adding on to a Touring order and why I'm being charged $10K for lesser functionality than what Tesla offers in the $6K Enhanced Auto option. If they had also released auto lane change with this update it could at least be somewhat comparable. I get that they are talking about adding advanced functions in the future, but the price for the premium functions should reflect the capabilities at the time of purchase for early adopters and it feels like a money grab.
You are paying for the addition of LiDAR, additional cameras, and sensors to the car. That’s the difference; it isn’t purely a software play, but an actual hardware play.

I wish Tesla hadn’t kickstarted this whole thing with “paying for future software” because it has tainted when any other company does something like this, but you aren’t *just* paying for the promise of future software. There’s quite a bit of hardware that does not get installed if you don’t have DD Pro. The software features will roll out in time, true, but you’re paying largely for the additional hardware, which is a distinct difference from Tesla’s play.

You're certainly getting additional hardware - which will sit there, depreciating, until the accompanying software arrives. The DD Pro buyer has to guess the chance that the paid-for system will actually become good early enough in the car's useful life that the up-front five-figure expenditure is worth it.

Hopefully they will allow the press to see the DD Pro functionality on unchaperoned cars prior to the first Touring configuration lock-ins.

You're certainly getting additional hardware - which will sit there, depreciating, until the accompanying software arrives. The DD Pro buyer has to guess the chance that the paid-for system will actually become good early enough in the car's useful life that the up-front five-figure expenditure is worth it.

Hopefully they will allow the press to see the DD Pro functionality on unchaperoned cars prior to the first Touring configuration lock-ins.
Well, you’re also getting the most amazing 360 view on the market, plus Highway Assist, which is extremely stable and consistent.

Reactions: DBV
Well, you’re also getting the most amazing 360 view on the market, plus Highway Assist, which is extremely stable and consistent.
True, and very much part of the calculation. Worth it for some, I'm sure.

Do you feel the 360 view is of much use parallel parking, or would you be OK with just the rear view camera?

True, and very much part of the calculation. Worth it for some, I'm sure.

Do you feel the 360 view is of much use parallel parking, or would you be OK with just the rear view camera?
I *love* the 360 view for parallel parking because I’m used to much smaller cars. I find it helpful to keep me from curbing the wheels. YMMV, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back