Speaker locations

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
@nautchilous asked about speaker locations.

None in the front door. 2 in the A pillar, rear door, above the rear door, 3 in the rear window, 3 up front.

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1648.jpeg
    IMG_1648.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 384
Front door panels are terrible places for speakers so I’m glad they stuck with the pillar and dash. They eat space, have worse acoustics for anything other than LF duties which can cause nasty resonances or standing waves in the footwell (I’m looking at you, Harmon/Kardon!)

For the second row in-door is fine simply because you don’t have a dash in the way and can place higher frequency drivers there. Even then lucid stuck HF transducers in the roof rail - a good move. I got to try the stereo from the back seat recently and was highly impressed.

For bass, the rear window doesn’t seem to cover the full lower range due to having only one transducer in the center (the ones on the sides of the rear window are midrange by the look of it). I suspect there might be another bass unit tucked away in a band pass enclosure that vents into the cabin that would explain the odd dual-response for the lower ranges I measured with @borski

Front door panels are terrible places for speakers so I’m glad they stuck with the pillar and dash. They eat space, have worse acoustics for anything other than LF duties which can cause nasty resonances or standing waves in the footwell (I’m looking at you, Harmon/Kardon!)

For the second row in-door is fine simply because you don’t have a dash in the way and can place higher frequency drivers there. Even then lucid stuck HF transducers in the roof rail - a good move. I got to try the stereo from the back seat recently and was highly impressed.

For bass, the rear window doesn’t seem to cover the full lower range due to having only one transducer in the center (the ones on the sides of the rear window are midrange by the look of it). I suspect there might be another bass unit tucked away in a band pass enclosure that vents into the cabin that would explain the odd dual-response for the lower ranges I measured with @borski
Some of these words made sense

There are supposedly 21 speakers, and I definitely haven’t found all of them yet.

Obviously the non-Surreal Sound will have a different layout and fewer.

There are supposedly 21 speakers, and I definitely haven’t found all of them yet.

Obviously the non-Surreal Sound will have a different layout and fewer.
Some of the locations may have more than one behind a single grill, namely the front and rear dash. I suspect the rear doors do as well.

What was the odd dual response you got for low frequencies? That shouldn’t happen. Low frequencies aren’t usually perceived as directional, could there be latency between? I wonder if the crossover/low pass filter isn’t covering all of the mid range speakers and so some are playing frequencies the woofer is also playing, but then you’d get some nasty peaks below 200hz or wherever depending on where they set the filter at. My MB has one woofer in the trunk behind the seats under the cover for the Burmeister system, and it PUNCHES the lows so they probably set their crossover higher than normal, it’s not tubby at all. I’m really curious what Lucid did now.

What was the odd dual response you got for low frequencies? That shouldn’t happen. Low frequencies aren’t usually perceived as directional, could there be latency between? I wonder if the crossover/low pass filter isn’t covering all of the mid range speakers and so some are playing frequencies the woofer is also playing, but then you’d get some nasty peaks below 200hz or wherever depending on where they set the filter at. My MB has one woofer in the trunk behind the seats under the cover for the Burmeister system, and it PUNCHES the lows so they probably set their crossover higher than normal, it’s not tubby at all. I’m really curious what Lucid did now.
See here

Thread 'Lucid Air Stereo "Surreal Sound" Test Impressions' https://lucidowners.com/threads/lucid-air-stereo-surreal-sound-test-impressions.727/

What was the odd dual response you got for low frequencies? That shouldn’t happen. Low frequencies aren’t usually perceived as directional, could there be latency between? I wonder if the crossover/low pass filter isn’t covering all of the mid range speakers and so some are playing frequencies the woofer is also playing, but then you’d get some nasty peaks below 200hz or wherever depending on where they set the filter at.
There was an odd drop in the bass on the response graph. The -3db was at 47hz, oddly high for any high-end system, but then it had another shelf all the way to 26hz before rolling off. On some tracks I tested the absolute lowest bass notes were surprisingly weak. This could be caused by having multiple drivers covering a close frequency range and canceling out, standing waves, etc.

Your assessment of the crossovers is probably correct. I wouldn’t be surprised if the DSP isn’t a specific filter across drivers and instead has some different ranges between them. In the end though, it’s still one of the best stereos I’ve ever heard in a car.

None in the front door. 2 in the A pillar, rear door, above the rear door, 3 in the rear window, 3 up front.
Appreciate the photos Bill55…Pillars are good for mids and tweets…Hopefully the base model will house A midbass driver in the front doors…I currently have a 3way Active setup in my Tesla and was hoping to transfer them into the Lucid..I might have to have my installer build custom Kick panels.

If you don’t mind my good sir..could you take couple pics of the lower kickpanel area on the driver and passenger side…Whenever it’s convenient for you Of course 😎.
I worried I will not have the room to install a Midbass driver in a fiberglass enclosure on the floor board.

thanks

If you don’t mind my good sir..could you take couple pics of the lower kickpanel area on the driver and passenger side…Whenever it’s convenient for you Of course 😎.
I worried I will not have the room to install a Midbass driver in a fiberglass enclosure on the floor board.

thanks
What components are you looking to use?

What components are you looking to use?
my current setup in my Tesla are all Morels
Supremo Piccolo tweet
Elate MM3
carbon MW9 midbass
ONCORE sub.
Helix Dsp
Mosconi amps

i have the mid and tweet in the A pillars and the midbass in the lower doors. My current setup sounds so good, another reason why I did not want to upgrade to the Touring…I highly doubt if the Surreal sound can match the sound I am getting now.

C62FB7EC-4454-407D-9ABC-9C660666AA79.jpeg
E1F409F5-570D-48BA-B52D-8EBB16F96959.jpeg

my current setup in my Tesla are all Morels
Supremo Piccolo tweet
Elate MM3
carbon MW9 midbass
ONCORE sub.
Helix Dsp
Mosconi amps

i have the mid and tweet in the A pillars and the midbass in the lower doors. My current setup sounds so good, another reason why I did not want to upgrade to the Touring…I highly doubt if the Surreal sound can match the sound I am getting now.

View attachment 1669View attachment 1670

I think you’d be surprised. One of the guys who I trust for my sound systems helped design the layout of the lucid speakers and it’s among the best he’s ever heard.

@nautchilous I'll echo @borski here - the Surreal Sound is excellent. Once my car arrives I'm going to run some more tests, but overall I think they nailed it. Mid and highs are fantastic with some of the best sound staging I've heard in a car to date.

That said...absolutely excellent driver choices for your current system! Morel makes some of the best around.

There are two drivers in the A-pillars already, so if you absolutely must replace the tweeters you would already have some room. The Piccolo's would probably be too big without messing up the pillar (it is a beefy thing for structural reasons). Maybe AMTs or the peerless ring tweet for something with wider dispersion?

For kick panels: the geometry of the door is much more concave than most cars. I'm not sure you'd be able to get anything in there without intruding into the cabin or eating a large chunk of soundproofing. I doubt you'd be able to get the MW9s into the dash however so you may not have a choice.

If I was going to do anything I'd consider a single-reflex bandpass to cover the absolute low-end unless Lucid gives us more EQ bands. Could probably have it in the trunk venting out under the rear seats.

@nautchilous I'll echo @borski here - the Surreal Sound is excellent. Once my car arrives I'm going to run some more tests, but overall I think they nailed it. Mid and highs are fantastic with some of the best sound staging I've heard in a car to date.

That said...absolutely excellent driver choices for your current system! Morel makes some of the best around.

There are two drivers in the A-pillars already, so if you absolutely must replace the tweeters you would already have some room. The Piccolo's would probably be too big without messing up the pillar (it is a beefy thing for structural reasons). Maybe AMTs or the peerless ring tweet for something with wider dispersion?

For kick panels: the geometry of the door is much more concave than most cars. I'm not sure you'd be able to get anything in there without intruding into the cabin or eating a large chunk of soundproofing. I doubt you'd be able to get the MW9s into the dash however so you may not have a choice.

If I was going to do anything I'd consider a single-reflex bandpass to cover the absolute low-end unless Lucid gives us more EQ bands. Could probably have it in the trunk venting out under the rear seats.
Ah my fellow audiophile brothers 😎…..I already have the system already setup in my head…My installer is very thorough and is up to any challenge . He will find a way a to make a kickpanel enclosure to house the MW9 or maybe a SW6 driver work …
.Since the Lucid as a ski pass…I was thinking on doing an Acoustic SBP15 in an IB setup..maybe 2 ..not sure yet..I had this sub in my Q50 and it played ridiculously low with great accuracy and authority ….That empty opening in the trunk would house the amp and dsp racks.
I had one question..Do the Lucid vehicles have a normal 12 volt battery ? The new Teslas have a weird 15 volt setup which is quite difficult to work with.

Last edited:

I am Sure the surreal system sounds amazing…I just can’t see myself spending over a 100k for a car..Unfortunately my friend, I am not in that tax bracket 😩 to spend that much…The pure Is more in my price range…Besides, I invested so much in my Current audio system , it would be a shame to let it go.

I am Sure the surreal system sounds amazing…I just can’t see myself spending over a 100k for a car..Unfortunately my friend, I am not in that tax bracket 😩 to spend that much…The pure Is more in my price range…Besides, I invested so much in my Current audio system , it would be a shame to let it go.
I totally understand! If you’ve already got a killer system then why chuck it?

Ah my fellow audiophile brothers 😎…..I already have the system already setup in my head…My installer is very thorough and is up to any challenge . He will find a way a to make a kickpanel enclosure to house the MW9 or maybe a SW6 driver work …
.Since the Lucid as a ski pass…I was thinking on doing an Acoustic SBP15 in an IB setup..maybe 2 ..not sure yet..I had this sub in my Q50 and it played ridiculously low with great accuracy and authority ….That empty opening in the trunk would house the amp and dsp racks.
I had one question..Do the Lucid vehicles have a normal 12 volt battery ? The new Teslas have a weird 15 volt setup which is quite difficult to work with.
The battery is 12v I believe from what @hydbob found

A sub in an infinite baffle through the ski pass could be a challenge. It isn’t that wide and it would stop you from using the fold down seats. You might have an easier time using the rear dash behind the seats.

There should be sufficient room in the front dash for midrange drivers. You could stick with Morel and use the MSW 144 or 114 (5” and 4” respectively). Both have excellent mids, large voice coils and are certainly shallow enough. This would avoid the kick panels and still get that amazing Morel sound. I’ve also been very smitten lately with BMR drivers for mids. Crazy good dispersion and some of the most realistic midrange I’ve ever heard, just not sure they could take the power you want to put through.

Back