Some odds and ends

My car spent a good part of the morning with two blacked out screens and a warning telling me to slow down so that it could find a parking spot. (I was driving on a 6-lane highway.)

I didn’t notice it when I went back in. Maybe software bug

Also this is a good example (the photo is bad, car was moving and it was night), of what I was referring to with the heated seats, which seat do you think has the heat on? Passenger side or driver side? Note the button on driver side is lit, but the picture almost looks like passenger side
My guess would be driver side!

My car spent a good part of the morning with two blacked out screens and a warning telling me to slow down so that it could find a parking spot. (I was driving on a 6-lane highway.)
That happens when the parking sensor thing malfunctions and it stays in parking mode...

Well, don’t leave us hanging! Did it find the spot?!

Yep! But I still stand by my comment it is confusing.

(Also: holy hell Tidal crashes a lot when using Dolby atmos. It’s “ok” otherwise…)
Wait how does it choose to use dolby atmos? I have never had tidal crash on me though

Wait how does it choose to use dolby atmos? I have never had tidal crash on me though
Search for Dolby atmos playlists. There are a few of them. You’ll notice that instead of grayed out the Dolby atmos text becomes white and the audio sounds WAY more “intense”. The problem is the music randomly stops constantly in that mode

Edit: well that is fun: the shuffle button is different when active in tidal and Spotify. In tidal it is a really hard to see dot under the icon. In Spotify the whole icon turns orange

Last edited:
Search for Dolby atmos playlists. There are a few of them. You’ll notice that instead of grayed out the Dolby atmos text becomes white and the audio sounds WAY more “intense”. The problem is the music randomly stops constantly in that mode

Edit: well that is fun: the shuffle button is different when active in tidal and Spotify. In tidal it is a really hard to see dot under the icon. In Spotify the whole icon turns orange
Ooh, can you suggest one? I should test that

Great thanks! Will test this tomorrow to see if it crashes...

Great thanks! Will test this tomorrow to see if it crashes...
What mi/kWh are you averaging?

We are 2-2.8 and have not beat 3 for any extended time yet. This is doing 65-70 on the highway.

I could have sworn there was another forum member erring really low efficiency.

We are 2-2.8 and have not beat 3 for any extended time yet. This is doing 65-70 on the highway.

20220103_165535.jpg

That was my trip back from AZ to LA, averaging 80ish. Around town, I probably average 2.4-2.8 driving mainly in swift.

I had commented on a recent review where the reviewer got in the area of 4mi/kWh, yet I haven’t seen actual owners reporting anything like that. I tend to put more faith in owner’s reports, rather than carefully controlled tests, that may not be reflective of the typical day to day driving most of us do.

Some of these carefully controlled tests raise expectations to what are often unachievable levels, unless you precisely match their test conditions and driving style. This invariably leads to disappointment and the inevitable, ‘What am I doing wrong’ or ‘What’s wrong with my car’. This is not just a comment on Lucid’s results, but many EVs.

I had commented on a recent review where the reviewer got in the area of 4mi/kWh, yet I haven’t seen actual owners reporting anything like that. I tend to put more faith in owner’s reports, rather than carefully controlled tests, that may not be reflective of the typical day to day driving most of us do.

Some of these carefully controlled tests raise expectations to what are often unachievable levels, unless you precisely match their test conditions and driving style. This invariably leads to disappointment and the inevitable, ‘What am I doing wrong’ or ‘What’s wrong with my car’. This is not just a comment on Lucid’s results, but many EVs.
I agree that the inside EV range test results of 500 miles of range is unattainable since most of us are not going to lightly accelerate to 70 in perfect weather and cruise for hours at that speed. Those tests are of course for comparing all the EVs on a level playing field. If I can get anywhere near 325 miles going from 90%to 10% SOC in normal daily driving I think that will huge accomplishment and leagues ahead of my old Raven model S performance. (340miles EPA range I was lucky to get near 200 miles running from90 % to 10% SOC)

I didn’t notice it when I went back in. Maybe software bug

Also this is a good example (the photo is bad, car was moving and it was night), of what I was referring to with the heated seats, which seat do you think has the heat on? Passenger side or driver side? Note the button on driver side is lit, but the picture almost looks like passenger side

Driver's side

View attachment 668
That was my trip back from AZ to LA, averaging 80ish. Around town, I probably average 2.4-2.8 driving mainly in swift.

This is very close to the projection I made some months ago of getting 252 miles of range using 70% of the battery (90-20% SOC) on a road trip at 80 mph in temperate weather. (118 kWh x .7 x 3.1 m/kWh = 256 miles.) I made this projection based on my experience with two Tesla Model S's and Lucid's claims of better efficiency. This caused me to change only one assumption in the comparison: the Lucid would get about 80% of its rated range on the highway versus the 60% I had gotten on the 2015 S P90D and the 70% we were getting on the S Plaid:

Using 70% of our Plaid pack capacity yields 171 miles of range with the same driving conditions. That means our Dream Performance will go about an hour longer than our Model S Plaid on the kinds of road trips we typically take.

The only advantage the Tesla has as a road trip car right now is the ubiquity and reliability of Tesla's supercharging network versus the lower presence and reliability of the Electrify America network at this point.

As Tom Moloughney said in an earlier video, he no longer bothers to do any charge planning no matter where he takes his Tesla. You may have to charge a little more frequently, but you will never found yourself unable to find a Tesla Supercharger. The trips I've planned so far for our Lucid still involve some less-than-ideal routing to make sure we have access to DC fast chargers -- and finding a charge location completely out of service would be a real problem.

Maybe its our choice of destinations but its been more than a decade since I have driven farther than 400 miles. Recently its 173 to Chicago. I understand the point about charging and the need but without a change of narrative we will have a hard time with adaption. Most people are daily commuters only. How often do people do "road trips?"

If I drove 65-70 on our highways other cars would be constantly riding my tail and beeping at me. Even at 75 many cars are driving faster.

If I drove 65-70 on our highways other cars would be constantly riding my tail and beeping at me. Even at 75 many cars are driving faster.

I was seeing about 3.2-3.8 mi/kWh on average. When I was gunning it (showing off heh) it was more like 1.8-2.8 depending.

In the city I’ve hit 4.5 or so.

well, this was when testing the performance.

When actually driving we are closer to 75-85, its kinda hard to keep the speed below 70 in this car. I was having a super hard time staying 25 and 50 in various backroads in Napa...

Back