Some odds and ends

Range is important to me as I only have a 20 amp dedicated circuit for charging. To get a more powerful circuit, I would have to trench my lawn to increase my service from 225 to 400 amps.

Maybe its our choice of destinations but its been more than a decade since I have driven farther than 400 miles. Recently its 173 to Chicago. I understand the point about charging and the need but without a change of narrative we will have a hard time with adaption. Most people are daily commuters only. How often do people do "road trips?"
I absolutely agree. Now that my kids are getting older, I'm discovering that twice a year I will have to drive for 12 hours to drop off/pick up a child from college. Before that, I never would have considered driving cross country for any reason. Flights are quick and inexpensive.

I absolutely agree. Now that my kids are getting older, I'm discovering that twice a year I will have to drive for 12 hours to drop off/pick up a child from college. Before that, I never would have considered driving cross country for any reason. Flights are quick and inexpensive.
COVID -19,20,21,22

Having taken both the model S Plaid and the Lucid Air DEP on a trip from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando and back, Other than charging the cars at different locations, both cars needed to be charged once. The Tesla was charged at Orlando prior to heading back (225 miles from home), while the Lucid was charged at Port Saint Lucie (90 miles from home). Speeds were similar. Based on this experience: The charging experience was identical. I pulled up and just plugged the cars. The charging rates were similar. The amount of time I spent charging to make the round trip was less with the Lucid, as I just needed to add 70 miles to get home compared to 170 with the Tesla. This is obviously not a scientific test but it does point to one advantage Lucid has, which is Battery size. BTW... I did set the cruise control on the Tesla to 79. The cruise is not available on the Lucid so the speed was varied which pretty much eliminated any efficiency advantage the Lucid may have had.

Having taken both the model S Plaid and the Lucid Air DEP on a trip from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando and back, Other than charging the cars at different locations, both cars needed to be charged once. The Tesla was charged at Orlando prior to heading back (225 miles from home), while the Lucid was charged at Port Saint Lucie (90 miles from home). Speeds were similar. Based on this experience: The charging experience was identical. I pulled up and just plugged the cars. The charging rates were similar. The amount of time I spent charging to make the round trip was less with the Lucid, as I just needed to add 70 miles to get home compared to 170 with the Tesla. This is obviously not a scientific test but it does point to one advantage Lucid has, which is Battery size. BTW... I did set the cruise control on the Tesla to 79. The cruise is not available on the Lucid so the speed was varied which pretty much eliminated any efficiency advantage the Lucid may have had.

Thank you. To me, this is a very useful report.

If I drove 65-70 on our highways other cars would be constantly riding my tail and beeping at me. Even at 75 many cars are driving faster.

DOT studies have shown that the average speed on rural U.S. interstates 78 mph. That's why I always think in terms of the highway mileage I would get at 80 mph instead of what the testers report at 70 mph. (I'm sure for legal reasons they don't want to be putting up videos showing them breaking the speed limit.)

It varies a bit by car, of course, but I've read that the increase in aerodynamic drag in the same ICE car by going 80 mph instead of 70 mph increases fuel consumption by about 11-13%. I suspect something similar holds for EVs, as drag increases exponentially with speed no matter how the car is powered.

DOT studies have shown that the average speed on rural U.S. interstates 78 mph. That's why I always think in terms of the highway mileage I would get at 80 mph instead of what the testers report at 70 mph. (I'm sure for legal reasons they don't want to be putting up videos showing them breaking the speed limit.)

It varies a bit by car, of course, but I've read that the increase in aerodynamic drag in the same ICE car by going 80 mph instead of 70 mph increases fuel consumption by about 11-13%. I suspect something similar holds for EVs, as drag increases exponentially with speed no matter how the car is powered.

Exactly. That is why a test at highway MPH of 55 is totally meaningless to me. When I drive a BEV I don't want to be hypermiling, I want to enjoy the torque and capabilities.

When actually driving we are closer to 75-85, its kinda hard to keep the speed below 70 in this car. I was having a super hard time staying 25 and 50 in various backroads in Napa...

Amen, brother. I am constantly fighting to keep the car from getting so far about the speed limit that it would attract police attention. The quietness, the smoothness, and the sense of solidity just make the sense of speed melt away -- moreso even than in our Teslas and other EVs in which I've ridden.

Yea, Tom and Kyle even said in their Q & A, the reason they set it to 70mph is because that is the upper limit in some parts of the country and they don't want to risk any tickets.

Has anyone had a situation where the car is shown parked several miles away from where it is actually parked in the mobile app?

Not that I've encountered

I just updated to 1.1.36. From 1.0.4 at delivery to 1.1.36 today, other than lock/unlock being more consistent, I'm still waiting for an update that has anything of significance. Anyone feel differently?

I just updated to 1.1.36. From 1.0.4 at delivery to 1.1.36 today, other than lock/unlock being more consistent, I'm still waiting for an update that has anything of significance. Anyone feel differently?
I'll take the slow and steady and done right over fast and still buggy as shit. For how long though...still questionable

Done right? How does that cross reference with what was installed on the car at release?

More on the trunk ...

In the course of examining the misaligned closure, I noticed what looks and feels like a wrap on the trunk lid. It is very easy to feel with your finger and you can see the wrap edge with your naked eye. The paint color extends beyond the wrapped material, so I can't figure what it is other than a clear wrap. I checked the frunk, which does not have a similar coating or wrap. It was too difficult in a still photo, but is very easy to see in a frame grab from a short video. Look horizontally where the arrows point.

Any ideas?

My car was picked up today for transport across the state to the Riviera Beach Service Center in a closed trailer. I was surprised and impressed by the fact that, instead of the transport driver I was expecting, the Manager of the Service Center and another Lucid employee showed up. The manager spent a lot of time going over every problem I was having and also had a list of questions Engineering had sent him to ask me. This was no pick-up-and-get-gone exercise, but a real attempt to develop a thorough understanding of what's going on with the car.

Since I had a senior guy on hand, i asked him about two things about which we've been speculating:

1. The rear trunk panel is a composite material that is bonded to the metal frame of the trunk. That line that appeared to be a paint line or the edge of a plastic wrap is the bonding line between the composite panel and the metal frame. (This means that the paint loss I've had will not introduce any corrosion points to metal, which makes me more comfortable with not trying to touch the paint up and consequently messing with the ceramic coating.)

2. My car does not have the hardware installed for power door operation. He said the pistons for power operation would be visible with the doors fully open, and my car instead had the simple metal bars that limit the door opening width. He was not sure if any of the Dreams had the pistons. He had heard that Lucid had been thinking about installing the hardware for later activation, but some legal issues arose that put everything on pause. He said it may be that my car has the mounts inside the doors to serve as the piston attachment points, in which case the pistons could be installed later, but he could not tell for sure without removing a door panel, which I did not want them to do.

My car was picked up today for transport across the state to the Riviera Beach Service Center in a closed trailer. I was surprised and impressed by the fact that, instead of the transport driver I was expecting, the Manager of the Service Center and another Lucid employee showed up. The manager spent a lot of time going over every problem I was having and also had a list of questions Engineering had sent him to ask me. This was no pick-up-and-get-gone exercise, but a real attempt to develop a thorough understanding of what's going on with the car.

Since I had a senior guy on hand, i asked him about two things about which we've been speculating:

1. The rear trunk panel is a composite material that is bonded to the metal frame of the trunk. That line that appeared to be a paint line or the edge of a plastic wrap is the bonding line between the composite panel and the metal frame. (This means that the paint loss I've had will not introduce any corrosion points to metal, which makes me more comfortable with not trying to touch the paint up and consequently messing with the ceramic coating.)

2. My car does not have the hardware installed for power door operation. He said the pistons for power operation would be visible with the doors fully open, and my car instead had the simple metal bars that limit the door opening width. He was not sure if any of the Dreams had the pistons. He had heard that Lucid had been thinking about installing the hardware for later activation, but some legal issues arose that put everything on pause. He said it may be that my car has the mounts inside the doors to serve as the piston attachment points, in which case the pistons could be installed later, but he could not tell for sure without removing a door panel, which I did not want them to do.
Good info! Remind me, is your DE# 4, 44, 9, 99, 13? ;)

I try not to be a superstitious person, but my Superformance Cobra was Chassis #2813 with a Roush 427 with serial number 666, no joke. Even given that, the car never gave me any issues.

I try not to be a superstitious person, but my Superformance Cobra was Chassis #2813 with a Roush 427 with serial number 666, no joke. Even given that, the car never gave me any issues.

Easily explained. Even the devil wouldn't mess with a Cobra.

My car does not have the hardware installed either. I do live 55 miles from Riviera Beach so I am happy to see the response you are receiving from the Lucid Service center.

Back