Some odds and ends

The ones the service guy gave me were Sony

As I spent some time in the car I received today, I soon found it beset by software gremlins too long to list here in detail. Suffice it to say that while I was in the car and on the phone with Lucid Customer Care about constant screen freezes, Alexa malfunctions, misbehaving features, etc., all the screens went blank and the car doors froze and could not be opened (with me in the car) although the windows still worked. Thank goodness I was able to open the door with the phone app, which had also been malfunctioning.

Customer Service asked me whether I had software Version 1.0.6 or 1.0.7 in my car. I told them I had 1.1.0, and they said that was impossible since it had not been released yet. When we finally got the screens back on I was able to send them a screen shot of my Pilot Screen that showed 1.1.0. They concluded that somehow a software version had been loaded into my car that was full of bugs and not ready for release.

I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow after the IT team gets to work to see if they can figure out how this happened. They told me it would be safe to drive the car as long as I'm not getting any warnings . . . but I'm not so sure. Getting locked in a car with all the systems down and the screens blacked out is kind of creepy. Thank goodness I had my phone with me when I went out to the garage.

IMG_0912.jpg

Guess that's why I'm stuck on the stone age 1.0.7. Glad you were able to get that resolved. I've been sitting in the car before where everything goes black as well, but just pushing on the brake or opening the door brought everything back online.

As I spent some time in the car I received today, I soon found it beset by software gremlins too long to list here in detail. Suffice it to say that while I was in the car and on the phone with Lucid Customer Care about constant screen freezes, Alexa malfunctions, misbehaving features, etc., all the screens went blank and the car doors froze and could not be opened (with me in the car) although the windows still worked. Thank goodness I was able to open the door with the phone app, which had also been malfunctioning.

Customer Service asked me whether I had software Version 1.0.6 or 1.0.7 in my car. I told them I had 1.1.0, and they said that was impossible since it had not been released yet. When we finally got the screens back on I was able to send them a screen shot of my Pilot Screen that showed 1.1.0. They concluded that somehow a software version had been loaded into my car that was full of bugs and not ready for release.

I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow after the IT team gets to work to see if they can figure out how this happened. They told me it would be safe to drive the car as long as I'm not getting any warnings . . . but I'm not so sure. Getting locked in a car with all the systems down and the screens blacked out is kind of creepy. Thank goodness I had my phone with me when I went out to the garage.

View attachment 418
This sounds like either a bug with their deployment tool or bad documentation for support. Either way the software seems like beta/..

that's annoying and scary. please keep us posted after talking to IT.

Guess that's why I'm stuck on the stone age 1.0.7. Glad you were able to get that resolved. I've been sitting in the car before where everything goes black as well, but just pushing on the brake or opening the door brought everything back online.

Pushing on the brake brought the screens back once during the afternoon. Over the course of the evening the problems began to worsen, and bringing back the screens got more complicated. Unfortunately, nothing is resolved. Customer Service wanted me to stay on the phone with them last night, but it was nearing 2:00 a.m. and I was exhausted from having gotten up early to prepare for delivery. So I'm supposed to call them again today to continue diagnosing things.

I learned a few things last night:

- Customer Service is open 24/7 at 888-995-8243, and they try very hard to be patient and helpful.

- Rebooting the software is more complicated than in our Teslas. (The Tesla can get a soft reboot from pressing the buttons on each side of the steering wheel for 30 seconds, which can be done even while driving. A hard reboot requires stopping the car but can be redone from the driver's seat.) The Lucid requires you to get out of the car, wait a few minutes, and then press the key fob once, wait a second, and press again.

- Although Lucid tells you that most customers use their mobile key and don't carry the fob (but should carry their key cards in their wallets as a backup), you actually need to have all three with you whenever you are in the car. You have to have the key card in case your fob or phone won't open the car (as often happens in our new Tesla). You have to have the key fob if you need to do a system reset (as I had to do several times last night), and you have to have your mobile phone with you in case the car locks you inside and disables the doors (as happened to me last night).

- Rebooting the software is a bit tedious when at home. But if you have to reboot away from shelter in bad weather, you're going to find it beyond aggravating.

- Cars are not mobile computers or PDA's and should not be thought of and designed as such. Maybe in the future when software development skills have developed further but, after six years of owning Teslas with ever-evolving software glitches, I can tell you that we're still a long way away from prime time.

I had drafted a post describing the problems I was already having with the software before the swarm of screen freezes took over last night, but once I found out the cause may be loading the car with the wrong software version, I did not post it. I will post it if anyone asks, but my posts tend to be long enough as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: FFT
I write like to know the reboot sequence that requires the fob. Please post regardless

I write like to know the reboot sequence that requires the fob.

The reboot requires that you exit the car, unplug from the charger, and keep the fob and mobile key away from the car for a few minutes. Then, standing near the car, press the key fob once, wait a second, and press again. The horn should beep and the lights flash to signal a successful reset.

The reboot requires that you exit the car, unplug from the charger, and keep the fob and mobile key away from the car for a few minutes. Then, standing near the car, press the key fob once, wait a second, and press again. The horn should beep and the lights flash to signal a successful reset.
Sounds way way too complicated. Do you have to pat your head and rub your tummy at same time as well? Hoping this is needed much less frequently than in Tesla.

So if you happen to be out and about without the phone and car not plugged in:
  1. Walk up to your car
  2. Press the key fob twice
  3. Wait a second
  4. Press fob again
Car Resets?

- Cars are not mobile computers or PDA's and should not be thought of and designed as such. Maybe in the future when software development skills have developed further but, after six years of owning Teslas with ever-evolving software glitches, I can tell you that we're still a long way away from prime time.
I agree, but rest assured not all EVs have these kinds of software issues. I never had issues of this magnitude in either my I-Pace or e-Tron. Of course in the 2nd week of I-Pace ownership I did break down, necessitating a tow, but that turned out to be a simple grounding issue. It's a bit odd that Lucid seems to have some of the same software issues that Tesla does. Then again, considering where some of the Lucid folk come from, maybe it's not so odd.

With that said, I'm sure Lucid will resolve these issues...at least the more serious ones.

Hah, okay I've done that accidentally. That is actually super easy to reset, not sure why people are saying it's complicated. 2 key presses on a remote? Good to know. Thanks!

Hah, okay I've done that accidentally. That is actually super easy to reset, not sure why people are saying it's complicated. 2 key presses on a remote? Good to know. Thanks!
If all it take is to press the remote twice, I completely agree. I read you had to leave the car, walk away from the car for a few minutes, come back to the car and then press fob twice. Again, I'm hoping this is a rare occurrence, although I'm sure I'll forget the sequence.

True, walking away is an inconvenience. At least the soft reset is no big deal.

In any event, I can’t wait to get my AGT. I’m highly confident the vast majority of the software issues will be resolved by March/April.
I agree and feel the same way. I really do appreciate all of these Dream owners being so open and willing to share their experiences, good and bad. If Lucid is as pragmatic as I think they are, they will take all of this feedback on the many shortcomings of the software and we will all be better for it.

It's not a question of being complicated. I'm not an idiot. It's a question of being sure you have the key fob with you instead of just the mobile key or the key card (which is all some people use regularly), having to get out of the car, move away from it for a few minutes, and then hope it resets. If you're not near shelter when you do this, good luck with the weather.

We just got back from a drive to check out the one road in the Naples area that has decent graded curves on it that you can take at speed. My partner drove up to test the handling in Swift and Sprint modes (and it was stellar, btw). However, by the time we arrived at the shopping center where we traded drivers, the Pilot Screen had frozen yet again. We got out of the car, moved away to stand under some shade trees while the car rebooted, and then tried the reset. This time it did not work (as it did not on one occasion yesterday), and I drove home with the car defaulted to the Smooth mode where it remained frozen.

Thank God Lucid had some manual backups for adjusting the A/C and audio volume, but we were unable to get our masks out of the glovebox at the shopping center because we could not open the glovebox.

You may think this is super easy to deal with. I respectfully disagree.

While I certainly expected there to be some software issues for a good while with such a new car, I thought they would be more like glitches in one feature or another, or delays in activating certain features -- inconveniences and minor annoyances, but nothing major.

I did not, however, expect to receive a car with software that is not yet released for production vehicles and that has frozen significant operational aspects of the car every single time we have driven it so far.

Back