Software issues

I have no issue with a software release that has "bug fixes" in it. I've run engineering groups for a long time and that's pretty standard vs. listing all the bugs. Its the features that are my issue. If you are doing anything feature related you have to list that out and they must be working with some feature release schedule. Let us "beta testers" see it. We understand schedules can change, but it would be good to show us how they are staging these releases. Unfortunately it's clear that they don't want bad press, so staying dark with bits of information is how they seem to be managing this.
Ahh...just regarding the first point, there's a mirror folding button.

View attachment 588
You are correct but when I back out of the garage, the camera views are blocking that screen, I think, and when I change from reverse to drive, another camera view blocks that screen.

I will try this again, as my car has had at least (2) software updates.

But if I were on the design team, I would have put a physical button on the armrest like most cars have. I am not a fan of the Tesla approach of everything on the screen.

You are correct but when I back out of the garage, the camera views are blocking that screen, I think, and when I change from reverse to drive, another camera view blocks that screen.

I will try this again, as my car has had at least (2) software updates.

But if I were on the design team, I would have put a physical button on the armrest like most cars have. I am not a fan of the Tesla approach of everything on the screen.
Ah yea, when you put it in reverse, the surround view comes up. For now, I guess you could always close the surround view and hit the button, or hit it first before you engage reverse.

This kind of feedback is great and priceless to those of us who are further down the line for delivery. The mirror thing, for me, is a non-issue. I can count on one hand the number of times I have folded my mirrors in over the seven+ years I have owned my M5. The garage door thing might be a pain, but I need to find out more about it.

Heck, it took me three years to finally figure out how to program my wife's GLS450 and not need the opener on the visor...

Not having Satellite radio (or having to listen to it through my phone) is one of the bigger downsides for me, but that is the way I do it in my '68 and '73 Mustangs.

Buying a BEV in today's world, especially from a new manufacturer, will have early production problems. One must expect that. I know that I do and that is one of the reasons why my reservation is for a Pure. I figure that by the time they get to Pure's they will either have figured this all out or I will go elsewhere.

Getting an early production model (DE), one must expect some of these problems. Tesla is still fooling around with "autopilot".

I also fold my mirrors in and out of my tight garage door opening. One of the things Tesla mostly got right was having those mirrors auto fold when approaching garage. Of course it is hit or miss of them folding on way out. More times than not, I had to push the button on driver's door to close them. It will be easy enough in the Lucid to close them on way in by hitting the button @hydbob mentioned (I used it a couple of days ago during test drive). I think a solution for me would be to fold the mirrors before putting the car in reverse. Otherwise, I'm touching too many screens.

I also fold my mirrors in and out of my tight garage door opening. One of the things Tesla mostly got right was having those mirrors auto fold when approaching garage. Of course it is hit or miss of them folding on way out. More times than not, I had to push the button on driver's door to close them. It will be easy enough in the Lucid to close them on way in by hitting the button @hydbob mentioned (I used it a couple of days ago during test drive). I think a solution for me would be to fold the mirrors before putting the car in reverse. Otherwise, I'm touching too many screens.

I also have a tight garage and always fold my mirrors going in or out as I only have a few inches on the right side when my wife's car is in the garage. Having a button would make it so much easier, as it is with the button on my Panamera.

I think Lucid could have done better if they had given a prototype to some of us on this forum. A lot of these problems would have been detected early on and corrected before deliveries began.

I also have a tight garage and always fold my mirrors going in or out as I only have a few inches on the right side when my wife's car is in the garage. Having a button would make it so much easier, as it is with the button on my Panamera.

I think Lucid could have done better if they had given a prototype to some of us on this forum. A lot of these problems would have been detected early on and corrected before deliveries began.

Apparently the Dream Edition model is the Prototype!! I'm still waiting for mine and fully expect there will be issues that will get solved "down the road" (pun intended!!).

Yes, I really wanted to like it. It's not just software bugs, it's poor design. The high price is so if I sell it, ok, I will move on. If I don't, maybe software updates will make it good enough.

It's really fast but I enjoy driving my 2018 Navigator better. The new 2022 Navigator has SYNC-4, Ford's self-driving, wireless Android Auto, better ergonomics and is quieter. Just not and EV.

I don't know man..... you're not happy with the car and selling it but want $230K for it? I hate this car so much but I want to make a profit on it

This kind of feedback is great and priceless to those of us who are further down the line
If Lucid was as inactive with OTA updates as some or vehicles still weren't capable of OTA, then I'd agree. I'm fascinated by what the experiences have been and what is being discovered but given the pace of updates, the experience of today's owners in respect to software is irrelevant to owners in the next quarter. In respect to when I get my car, what you dismissed in the ADAS thread (future software releases) is much more relevant since that is what will be in our cars versus what is in them today. When @hydbob says his loaner has a beta version of 1.1.6 and all the features of dream drive are active, we understand that those concerns will be addressed soon.

The experiences and feedback from current owners is invaluable to Lucid. It does inform future owners of the development path that was taken and assures us the company is working hard to satisfy current owners. I loved the comment someone made that Lucid wants to satisfy current owners and will take parts off cars on the production line to fix one they already sold. I recently purchased ebikes and many companies ignore current owners so they can continue to make new sales so warranty repairs can't be made due to parts not being made available. So I chose companies that owner forums showed had parts for warranty work. On a Tesla forum I look at, owners complain about waiting months for parts. Glad to hear Lucid values current owners over new sales. Company values, service experiences, quality of the product outside of software, how active the company is in working on software issues/upgrades, that's what is really valuable in what is being passed down to us by current owners. Hopefully, those aren't temporary - it's how the company operates. Software is definitely temporary. For future owners, it doesn't matter what the state of the software is today as long as the company continues to address shortcomings and add new features. Obviously, someone expecting delivery a month from now is more interested in the current state than someone taking delivery 6 months from now (me - probably number 12k).

@Bill55 with his detailed posts regarding problems he's experienced. @hmp10 with his tale of woe - hang in there and I hope the hardware replacements address the unique issues you've faced. @hydbob and @Alex have been great sharing their experiences and providing feedback. So thanks to all of the current owners who have been willing to share their experiences with us and Lucid. Keep telling Lucid what is important to you so that my car do all the mundane things we take for granted in other cars along with presenting things where I think - Hey, that's really great.

I don't know man..... you're not happy with the car and selling it but want $230K for it? I hate this car so much but I want to make a profit on it

I'm guessing if he dropped the price to something closer to what he actually paid "out the door" he'd get it sold quickly!!

If Lucid was as inactive with OTA updates as some or vehicles still weren't capable of OTA, then I'd agree. I'm fascinated by what the experiences have been and what is being discovered but given the pace of updates, the experience of today's owners in respect to software is irrelevant to owners in the next quarter. In respect to when I get my car, what you dismissed in the ADAS thread (future software releases) is much more relevant since that is what will be in our cars versus what is in them today. When @hydbob says his loaner has a beta version of 1.1.6 and all the features of dream drive are active, we understand that those concerns will be addressed soon.

The experiences and feedback from current owners is invaluable to Lucid. It does inform future owners of the development path that was taken and assures us the company is working hard to satisfy current owners. I loved the comment someone made that Lucid wants to satisfy current owners and will take parts off cars on the production line to fix one they already sold. I recently purchased ebikes and many companies ignore current owners so they can continue to make new sales so warranty repairs can't be made due to parts not being made available. So I chose companies that owner forums showed had parts for warranty work. On a Tesla forum I look at, owners complain about waiting months for parts. Glad to hear Lucid values current owners over new sales. Company values, service experiences, quality of the product outside of software, how active the company is in working on software issues/upgrades, that's what is really valuable in what is being passed down to us by current owners. Hopefully, those aren't temporary - it's how the company operates. Software is definitely temporary. For future owners, it doesn't matter what the state of the software is today as long as the company continues to address shortcomings and add new features. Obviously, someone expecting delivery a month from now is more interested in the current state than someone taking delivery 6 months from now (me - probably number 12k).

@Bill55 with his detailed posts regarding problems he's experienced. @hmp10 with his tale of woe - hang in there and I hope the hardware replacements address the unique issues you've faced. @hydbob and @Alex have been great sharing their experiences and providing feedback. So thanks to all of the current owners who have been willing to share their experiences with us and Lucid. Keep telling Lucid what is important to you so that my car do all the mundane things we take for granted in other cars along with presenting things where I think - Hey, that's really great.
Just 1 small correction that was on Jon Rettinger loaner not mine, otherwise, even the car now compared to when I first got it (Nov) has improved software wise.

After a couple weeks of travel, I’m back to the Air as a daily driver. 1300 miles in, There are 4 items that impact my enjoyment of the car daily and everything else I could live with indefinitely.
1. Park distance / camera implementation needs significant improvement.
2. Homelink implementation
3. Inconsistent unlocking/locking and no set able preferences for same
4. CarPlay missing

Wanting to turn the car “off” by pressing park a second is #5 on my list, but perhaps fixing item 3 above makes that ok.

If my wife drove the car more often I would add no comfort access and the time it takes to Switch profiles when driving after someone else.

I think you narrowly interpreted my comment to be solely software related. Feedback about mirror switches and other more hardware/physical/service response/etc. related items are just as, if not more important than something that can be fixed OTA. I want to hear all experiences, in all areas, so I can make as informed decision as possible at the time that decision needs to be made based on what is important to me, not anyone else. Having people say they have hit their head getting in and out lets me weigh for myself if that is an issue for me (I doubt it), but now I know to pay attention to it. The mirror switch, albeit important to many, is not to me.

And yes, I dismissed something in a loaner as it has not been released and tested in the broader sense yet. I expect it to in the short term and I also expect them to not release it until they are happy with it. We all know they "are working on it". The question is "is it working and has it been tested". I honestly hope they get it out as quickly as possible so it can be vetted before I get my car. I would rather not be the one doing the "vetting" if it can be avoided and I appreciate all of you DE purchasers doing the vetting for us expecting deliveries further down the road. My point about it being in the loaner was more along the lines of "great, I will be more interested when they do the OTA and see how it lives up to expectations".

I really just want to make sure I know what I am buying and have realistic expectations at delivery as I do not get the chance to take a test drive being in Charlotte. There are no facilities within 100's of miles of me.

I think you narrowly interpreted my comment to be solely software related. Feedback about mirror switches and other more hardware/physical/service response/etc. related items are just as, if not more important than something that can be fixed OTA. I want to hear all experiences, in all areas, so I can make as informed decision as possible at the time that decision needs to be made based on what is important to me, not anyone else. Having people say they have hit their head getting in and out lets me weigh for myself if that is an issue for me (I doubt it), but now I know to pay attention to it. The mirror switch, albeit important to many, is not to me.

And yes, I dismissed something in a loaner as it has not been released and tested in the broader sense yet. I expect it to in the short term and I also expect them to not release it until they are happy with it. We all know they "are working on it". The question is "is it working and has it been tested". I honestly hope they get it out as quickly as possible so it can be vetted before I get my car. I would rather not be the one doing the "vetting" if it can be avoided and I appreciate all of you DE purchasers doing the vetting for us expecting deliveries further down the road. My point about it being in the loaner was more along the lines of "great, I will be more interested when they do the OTA and see how it lives up to expectations".

I really just want to make sure I know what I am buying and have realistic expectations at delivery as I do not get the chance to take a test drive being in Charlotte. There are no facilities within 100's of miles of me.
I’m driving the car to Greenville, SC and will be there March 7-13 I’ll be keeping the car there at my race team facility if you want to drive down. Www.Thunderbunnyracing.com

I might just drive down for the day and take you up on that if my schedule allows. Don't be surprised if you get a private message the week before. Thanks for the offer.

I'm confused, if you have to fold the mirrors to get out wouldn't you have to fold them to get in? So why unfold them in the garage?

Profit is not the motive. If someone will pay $230,000 then I will sell it. If not then I will "wait it out" for better software or give it to one of my kids.
The price is just my way of not having to make a decision about it, now.

Also, I never said that I hate the car, just disappointed in it and Lucid.

I'm confused, if you have to fold the mirrors to get out wouldn't you have to fold them to get in? So why unfold them in the garage
I do fold them to get in. My Tesla usually does that. But once the car is switched “on” in the garage when I get into the car, the mirrors often revert to their unfolded position thereby requiring me to manually fold them backing up.

I do fold them to get in. My Tesla usually does that. But once the car is switched “on” in the garage when I get into the car, the mirrors often revert to their unfolded position thereby requiring me to manually fold them backing up.

Thanks for explaining that. Should be a toggle and not part of boot sequence. Lucid take that out, please. This should shorten boot up time a little. Fold out automatically at 5mph forward or reverse.

Not having Satellite radio (or having to listen to it through my phone) is one of the bigger downsides for me, but that is the way I do it in my '68 and '73 Mustangs.
When I spoke with the salesperson at the Manhattan store, I asked about satellite radio and she said the production model has it. Is it something that is going to be enabled with a software update?

Back