Software issues

When I spoke with the salesperson at the Manhattan store, I asked about satellite radio and she said the production model has it. Is it something that is going to be enabled with a software update?

Now that's the first time I've heard that.

When I spoke with the salesperson at the Manhattan store, I asked about satellite radio and she said the production model has it. Is it something that is going to be enabled with a software update?
So the DE has a satellite radio receiver??

So the DE has a satellite radio receiver??

I'm pretty skeptical about this. I've never seen, anywhere, even a passing reference to XM and there's no shark fin. Unless they've hidden a new style antenna there's no way.

I'm pretty skeptical about this. I've never seen, anywhere, even a passing reference to XM and there's no shark fin. Unless they've hidden a new style antenna there's no way.
You don't need a shark fin antenna for satellite radio. The satellite antenna is a small puck and can easily be placed where the GPS antenna is currently. There are many other locations possible for a satellite antenna. The shark fin antenna is traditionally used for AM/FM radio in place of an attend whip and Lucid has AM/FM and no shark fin.

Also, I have gotten "blank stares" from many people at Lucid when asking about Satellite XM radio, although a rep, who was present for the Scottsdale grand opening, mentioned that the car did have XM Radio. But since my car was delivered everyone I have talked to or communicated with via email has denied there is XM Satellite radio present (aside from using it in Apple CarPlay).

You don't need a shark fin antenna for satellite radio. The satellite antenna is a small puck and can easily be placed where the GPS antenna is currently. There are many other locations possible for a satellite antenna. The shark fin antenna is traditionally used for AM/FM radio in place of an attend whip and Lucid has AM/FM and no shark fin.

Also, I have gotten "blank stares" from many people at Lucid when asking about Satellite XM radio, although a rep, who was present for the Scottsdale grand opening, mentioned that the car did have XM Radio. But since my car was delivered everyone I have talked to or communicated with via email has denied there is XM Satellite radio present (aside from using it in Apple CarPlay).
Not in mine, either.

Couldn't they just enable XM through the data connection? streaming as opposed to an antenna?

I agree. Sirius has an iOS app so all Lucid would need to do is have an app and use the data connection.

Couldn't they just enable XM through the data connection? streaming as opposed to an antenna?
I suspect Lucid eventually will redo and/or undo the early misguided business partnering decisions likely made a few years ago. The current deals (e.g., Alexa) simply are not sustainable for DE owners whom the company would hope to emerge as brand ambassadors and affinity customers. Some of us currently are holding reservations on other trims but likely will not proceed if all we end up with is a good looking super fast car. I am one of them.

Does Google have voice integration with Android Automotive? Seems like its obvious but I have no idea.

I suspect Lucid eventually will redo and/or undo the early misguided business partnering decisions likely made a few years ago. The current deals (e.g., Alexa) simply are not sustainable for DE owners whom the company would hope to emerge as brand ambassadors and affinity customers. Some of us currently are holding reservations on other trims but likely will not proceed if all we end up with is a good looking super fast car. I am one of them.

Alexa is, I would argue, among the better voice assistants out there. Siri is garbage, and Google Assistant is genuinely the worst of all, but they all suck.

I think the hope is that Alexa improves as its 'the leader' in voice assistants and integrations, or they just swap the voice assistant entirely, to something else later. Alexa definitely does not make or break the car.

Also, with CarPlay, you'll get Siri, so this will be moot.

I would argue that Siri is actually quite good in its automotive application. Its voice recognition is excellent and commands are generally carried out flawlessly.

Streaming XM will easily be an option via the car's data connection or your own phone. Having actual XM hardware is more about the near perfect availability during non urban driving. Places where cell service is spotty (both car and phone) will likely still have great satellite service. That's what makes it so great for road trips.

Alexa is, I would argue, among the better voice assistants out there. Siri is garbage, and Google Assistant is genuinely the worst of all, but they all suck.

I think the hope is that Alexa improves as its 'the leader' in voice assistants and integrations, or they just swap the voice assistant entirely, to something else later. Alexa definitely does not make or break the car.

Also, with CarPlay, you'll get Siri, so this will be moot.
Interesting, I’ve had very different experiences.

I find Alexa to be the worst of them. We tried swapping all of our google homes for Echoes at one point in the past year or two and we’re super frustrated over the fact Alexa just seemed to keep trying to sell us stuff vs actually providing useful information.

Siri seems to have very good recognition, but we run into limits relatively quickly with her.

Google Assistant is the most functional for us, although it sometimes will do weird crap with not quite providing what we asked for.

Streaming XM will easily be an option via the car's data connection or your own phone. Having actual XM hardware is more about the near perfect availability during non urban driving. Places where cell service is spotty (both car and phone) will likely still have great satellite service. That's what makes it so great for road trips.
Exactly! Have never had XM signal loss in city or rural travel. But, have not driven across the Plains or canyons nor plan to.

Interesting, I’ve had very different experiences.

I find Alexa to be the worst of them. We tried swapping all of our google homes for Echoes at one point in the past year or two and we’re super frustrated over the fact Alexa just seemed to keep trying to sell us stuff vs actually providing useful information.

Siri seems to have very good recognition, but we run into limits relatively quickly with her.

Google Assistant is the most functional for us, although it sometimes will do weird crap with not quite providing what we asked for.
Yea, I find Google the best, just wasn't sure how it is integrated into car stuff

If I ask Alexa to place a call in my car, I get a string of responses varying from "I cannot handle that request" to "I cannot find that name in your contact list". Invariably, when I then try to place the call via "Hey, Siri" on my cell phone, it finds the name and puts the call through. I don't even bother with trying to use Alexa to place calls any more.

A good portion of the time when I ask Alexa to "navigate to home", it says it cannot find the address. Other times, it finds the address just fine.

I have neither of these problems with the voice activation in our Tesla. The Air is my first experience with Alexa, and I find it a useless mess.

I lost XM when I traded my Tesla X for my Y and while it was very annoying at the start, I got used to it and now don’t really miss it - though the caveat is that I live/drive in mostly urban/suburban areas with decent cell service. I haBe found similar Charles on the streaming service.

I'm doing the OTA download of 1.1.2 right now. The release notes didn't say much about what it does. Does anyone know?

Also, for the first time, the prompt said that leaving WiFi connected would not interfere with the download. Any ideas why it would vary from one download to another? Or why you have to unplug the car to do a download?

I'm doing the OTA download of 1.1.2 right now. The release notes didn't say much about what it does. Does anyone know?

Also, for the first time, the prompt said that leaving WiFi connected would not interfere with the download. Any ideas why it would vary from one download to another? Or why you have to unplug the car to do a download?
Since plugging in would require the car computer to be active, my guess is that is why it needs to be unplug to update and reboot.

The issue is that we want Sirius XM Satellite radio. Not everyone has cell coverage everywhere they travel.

Back