Scheduling of EV Charging

BS8899

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I am a new Lucid owner (Lucid Aur Grand Touring). I see the Lucid can be charged at home using a Level 2 charger or directly connect a 240V (or 120V) to the Wunderbox. That's all great!
My question is, how do you SCHEDULE charging vis-a-vis, if I plug my Lucid in at 6PM but I want the charging to start at 9PM where the TOU rates cut in, how do you do that? It seems like the Wunderbox has no scheduling capability (and no abiliy to set the current limit). I can do scheduling via the Level 2 charger (I have a JuiceBox). If I use the JuiceBox, it can schedule, but meanwhile, the Lucid goes to sleep and when the JuiceBox is ready to charge at 9PM, the Lucid is fast asleep!. Is there a way around it?

Also, it seems to me the Wunderbox should have a clock/scheduler. I have a HondaClarity (PHEV) and its has an internal scheduler. that allows you to set

Were you able to force start it from the app, or did you have to unplug and plug back in to get it to charge?
Not able to do it through the app. Also not able to do it on the pilot panel via a "start charge" button either. The only way to have it start charging is to disable the scheduled charging, and it will start charging right away.

Not able to do it through the app. Also not able to do it on the pilot panel via a "start charge" button either. The only way to have it start charging is to disable the scheduled charging, and it will start charging right away.
Ugh

I have the Chargepoint Homeflex and I also could not get the scheduled charge to start at 21:00. I went back out and turned off the schedule option on the car and the charging started right up. Tomorrow I will see if perhaps this might have fixed the charge port error I get if I plug in the car prior to the 21:00 charging time set for off-peak hours (which are 21:00 to 07:00). I can live with that for now.

yup, it starts to charge if you turn off the new Scheduled Charging feature.

So, what's the a\point of this Scheduled Charging feature?:::

Didn't someone at Lucid try it out beforethey released it?:

This is ridiculous!

I know it's only half a loaf, but if this step means that I can plug in my car when I get home and not get errors that prevent the charge from initiating at the scheduled time several hours later (without unplugging and then plugging the cable back in right around 21:00), that would be a major step forward for my situation. That being said, walking out to my garage and finding a "full tank" every morning vs driving to a gas station is still something to savor.

This whole episode of Scheduled Charging (part of UX 2.0.52) is a confusing and disappointing saga.

As of now, no one seems to be able to get it to work.

The issue I experienced (prior to UX 2.0.52) is as follows:

• Lucid UX (prior to UX 2.0.52) has no provision for delayed (scheduled) charging.
  • As a result, if you use the Lucid charging dongle that comes with the car and you plug it in when you get home, it starts charging right away i.e., no delay for scheduled ToU.
  • If you plug the Lucid into an EVSE, in my case, a JuiceBox, and it is outside of ToU, there is no power in the J1772 plug and the Lucid flags it as a plug error and ask you to disconnect and reconnect. However, if you just leave it plugged in, the error message disappears after a few minutes (at least so with my JuiceBox).
  • Even though the disconnect/re-plug message disappears, the Lucid goes to sleep in the meanwhile. So, when ToU comes around, the J1772 plug is now energized, but the Lucid is fast asleep and won’t recognize it is ToU time. You will have to wake the Lucid up and then it will charge.
This is my experience with my JuiceBox. What about other users? Do you have the same experience?

Now, I’d expect the UX 2.0.52 Scheduled Charging to be able to program in the ToU times and starts on its own.

• If UX 2.0.52 does that, then the Lucid can charge either with its own NEMA 14-50 dongle or through your EVSE. Apparently, it doesn’t do that.
  • At a minimum, when ToU rolls around, I’d expect UX 2.0.52 to clear the errors, wake the Lucid, and let my EVSE commence charging. It doesn’t do that either.
  • Now, with UX 2.0.52 Scheduled Charging installed, I can’t even wake my Lucid up on my phone app to initiate charging. I have to remove the Schedule Charging feature to do that!
  • So, what exactly does Scheduled Charging on UX 2.0.52 do?
  • Did anyone at Lucid test the feature before it was released?
  • Are we (all?) using this new feature (Scheduled Charging UX 2.0.52) incorrectly?
It shouldn’t be this hard. My 2019 Honda Clarity (PHEV) has this feature (ToU Scheduled Charging) and works flawlessly! Other users at this forum also reported the same capability on other EVs. Why can’t Lucid figure it out? And why did Lucid release a feature that doesn’t seem to work?

Without muddying the water even more, in some (many) areas, ToU is not just an evening thing. In AZ (and certain parts of CA), weekends are also covered by ToU. UX 2.0.52 cannot do that. Again, other cars can comprehend these requirements. Why can’t Lucid do the same?

My bigger concern is,

• Does Lucid do survey/research of what their competitors offer?
  • If so, why can’t they match what their competitors offer?
  • Why did they release a (common and simple) feature (after more than 1.5 years after shipping cars) and it doesn’t work?

Clearly Lucid tested this and something went wrong with the deploy or similar. Where possible, assume accident rather than malice or stupidity. They did not mean for it to not work, and they were not “dumb enough” not to test it. But it is clearly broken.

That also means it will get fixed, and likely quickly.

You are missing my point...

I am sure the engineer tested his/her Scheduling Charging module on its own and it worked.
However, when integrated and bundled with other changes in UX2.0.52, now it doesn't work. Maybe it was an error when things got bundled. more likely, there are unanticipated/unintended interaction between modules.
This type of thing happens all the time when a complex system (here, the total car) interacts in an unanticipated way resulted in unanticipated errors.
that's why someone needs to be in charge of the whole system and rigorously test and validate the system before release.

System validation is not new science. it is simply a Best-
known Practice that Lucid needs to follow.

This is probably not of huge interest to this thread, which is focused on the scheduled auto start of charging, but another data point which I didn't see mentioned.

Someone mentioned charging doesn't work unless the scheduling feature is disabled. They may have meant plugging in during scheduled charging doesn't work, I'm not sure. Certainly people have identified the auto charging during scheduling doesn't yet work.

I had Scheduled Charging enabled and I was able to charge *outside of the scheduled charging window* by simply plugging in (well, twice as it was EA). So, I don't think it is correct to say "Charging doesn't work unless scheduling is disabled".

This is probably not of huge interest to this thread, which is focused on the scheduled auto start of charging, but another data point which I didn't see mentioned.

Someone mentioned charging doesn't work unless the scheduling feature is disabled. They may have meant plugging in during scheduled charging doesn't work, I'm not sure. Certainly people have identified the auto charging during scheduling doesn't yet work.

I had Scheduled Charging enabled and I was able to charge *outside of the scheduled charging window* by simply plugging in (well, twice as it was EA). So, I don't think it is correct to say "Charging doesn't work unless scheduling is disabled".

are we mixing the issues?

the Scheduled Charging we talk about is L2-J1772 AC charging. Charging on EA is DC charging, a totally different animal.

The issue I experienced (prior to UX 2.0.52) is as follows:

• Lucid UX (prior to UX 2.0.52) has no provision for delayed (scheduled) charging.
  • As a result, if you use the Lucid charging dongle that comes with the car and you plug it in when you get home, it starts charging right away i.e., no delay for scheduled ToU.
  • If you plug the Lucid into an EVSE, in my case, a JuiceBox, and it is outside of ToU, there is no power in the J1772 plug and the Lucid flags it as a plug error and ask you to disconnect and reconnect. However, if you just leave it plugged in, the error message disappears after a few minutes (at least so with my JuiceBox).
  • Even though the disconnect/re-plug message disappears, the Lucid goes to sleep in the meanwhile. So, when ToU comes around, the J1772 plug is now energized, but the Lucid is fast asleep and won’t recognize it is ToU time. You will have to wake the Lucid up and then it will charge.
This is my experience with my JuiceBox. What about other users? Do you have the same experience?
yes. That is exactly my experience with my ChargePoint Flex prior to 2.0.52

Now, I’d expect the UX 2.0.52 Scheduled Charging to be able to program in the ToU times and starts on its own.

• If UX 2.0.52 does that, then the Lucid can charge either with its own NEMA 14-50 dongle or through your EVSE. Apparently, it doesn’t do that.
  • At a minimum, when ToU rolls around, I’d expect UX 2.0.52 to clear the errors, wake the Lucid, and let my EVSE commence charging. It doesn’t do that either.
  • Now, with UX 2.0.52 Scheduled Charging installed, I can’t even wake my Lucid up on my phone app to initiate charging. I have to remove the Schedule Charging feature to do that!
  • So, what exactly does Scheduled Charging on UX 2.0.52 do?
  • Did anyone at Lucid test the feature before it was released?
  • Are we (all?) using this new feature (Scheduled Charging UX 2.0.52) incorrectly?
It shouldn’t be this hard. My 2019 Honda Clarity (PHEV) has this feature (ToU Scheduled Charging) and works flawlessly! Other users at this forum also reported the same capability on other EVs. Why can’t Lucid figure it out? And why did Lucid release a feature that doesn’t seem to work?

Without muddying the water even more, in some (many) areas, ToU is not just an evening thing. In AZ (and certain parts of CA), weekends are also covered by ToU. UX 2.0.52 cannot do that. Again, other cars can comprehend these requirements. Why can’t Lucid do the same?
it should be a simple software for the car to wake up at a certain time. If I plug in my ChargePoint Flex preprogramed for scheduled charging, the car eventually goes to sleep. Waking it up, and it begins charging. That is a simple. “At time x, wake car and look for active plug”

for the Lucid Home charger, I cannot schedule. Again, the car should know that “when home” it won’t charge until it wakes up at time x and looks for an active plug. In that way, plugging in the Lucid charger would not start a charge until the car allows it. i can plug, unplug and plug on my Nissan Leaf to over ride scheduled charging at home. This Is not that completed and just a little bit of software code.

yes. That is exactly my experience with my ChargePoint Flex prior to 2.0.52

it should be a simple software for the car to wake up at a certain time. If I plug in my ChargePoint Flex preprogramed for scheduled charging, the car eventually goes to sleep. Waking it up, and it begins charging. That is a simple. “At time x, wake car and look for active plug”

for the Lucid Home charger, I cannot schedule. Again, the car should know that “when home” it won’t charge until it wakes up at time x and looks for an active plug. In that way, plugging in the Lucid charger would not start a charge until the car allows it. i can plug, unplug and plug on my Nissan Leaf to over ride scheduled charging at home. This Is not that completed and just a little bit of software code.
You and I are on the same page. We just have to get Lucid there!

So, no one got the new UX 2.52 Scheduled Charging to work?
Nope. Scheduled charging doesn’t even work with the Lucid charging cable connected directly to 14-50 outlet. Back to the drawing board. Happy that USB audio works at least!

Nope. Scheduled charging doesn’t even work with the Lucid charging cable connected directly to 14-50 outlet. Back to the drawing board. Happy that USB audio works at least!
I can’t get charging or usb audio to work even with a new faster flash drive. If you have any tips for the usb audio it would be appreciated.

I’m sure this sounds overly simplistic, but scheduled charging worked flawlessly through 3rd party apps before 2.0. Even if this OTA worked, it would still not have worked as well as it used to because now we have a weird 12 hour window, when lots of customers have a 15 hour EV charging window (12:00 AM to 3:pM in my case). Why not just go back to the way it was for now while they figure out a way to make it match the rest of the industry? I would have to the think that the code that allowed this to happen prior to 2.0 still exists somewhere.

I also think they should go back to beta testing like they did during the software 2.0 launch. Nobody knows these cars as well as a lot of our forum members and I think solid feedback could save some embarrassment and help to deliver a more usable product.

I can’t get charging or usb audio to work even with a new faster flash drive. If you have any tips for the usb audio it would be appreciated.
reformat the drive to FAT32

reformat the drive to FAT32
It’s already formatted that way. My older Mac won’t let me erase and reformat to fat32 only Fat and exfat. Transferred a couple songs but nothing shows up in the car. Keeps asking me to insert a drive. Even bought a brand new drive that others had recommended. I didn’t realize I was so technologically challenged?? Sorry I hijacked the thread. Might need you to make a video in your free time?? Just kidding. thanks for the help

Back