Savage Geese: Long term Air review

I don't get the excitement with the new processors. I have a '24 AGT and there is little to no lag.

According to the Miami Service Manager, the new processor has enhanced communicability and is less susceptible to interference but doesn't significantly speed up processing time.

I like the part where he admits he drives in SMOOTH mode 95% of the time.

For me it's 99.9% in SMOOTH,
0.1 % in SWIFT ....
0% in SPRINT

I have never been in Sprint mode ... it's like knowing there is a monster under the bed.

I like the part where he admits he drives in SMOOTH mode 95% of the time.

For me it's 99.9% in SMOOTH,
0.1 % in SWIFT ....
0% in SPRINT

I have never been in Sprint mode ... it's like knowing there is a monster under the bed.
He does a lot of SUV videos and is depressed.
He just wants a smooth ride.
On the other hand he and Jack like to rip it up on the track, but that is for other cars like the Sapphire. Remember him just laying on the floor decompressing after experiencing the top dog?
Hoping to meet him some time at a local Chicago event.

This is so disappointing.
Guys... take a breath.

We know nothing. We don't know if it will or will not be replaceable. We don't know when such a replacement would be offered. We don't know what it would cost, how long it would take, what the specs are, or literally anything else.

We also certainly don't know that it isn't something they will offer, even if they don't offer it today.

So breathe. In time, we'll discover the answers together. For now, perhaps it would make sense to stop speculating on this point, stop bothering service or CS about a thing that has never been announced by Lucid, at least yet, and get back to discussing the rest of the review? That would be my earnest suggestion.

duck-run.gif

Maybe just contact Mark and see if he can share some details

I don't get the excitement with the new processors. I have a '24 AGT and there is little to no lag.
For the first 5+ minutes after powering up, if I get a text message alert on the console while listening to Tidal, you can hear the Tidal playback become jittery while it deal with the text message. Reasonably sure it's not like this all the time, though as I'm 99% sure I've been on longer drives with text messages coming in that haven't interrupted the playback quite so dramatically.

Map performance and the rest of the car's UI feel plenty fast ('22 AGT) to me otherwise. However, I suspect those new processors might facilitate additional DDPro features. Time will tell.

This is so disappointing.
For those disappointed or desiring a new processor, could you even quantify the necessary decrease in processing times for you to perceive it as responsive? If we are talking more than 5%, I highly doubt what is likely a single threaded bound task will be improved by a new CPU. You might see a 5% increase from an old chip, but the margins we are talking about to perceive a change are likely much higher and require a code change, not a processor change.

Processors have greatly improved in all core frequencies and number of cores, but single core frequency has been relatively capped due to the physics of thermal loads. The only way for a direct boost via replacement would be an increase in base single core frequency. Given these are commercial grade chips, that frequency is usually kept at a conservative level for longevity and reliability vs raw throughput.

In other words, those of you disappointed at a lack of a retrofit for UI/UX speedup is misplaced in hardware rather than a software solution. Given a lack of announcement or withholding of new features for Dream Drive in older cars, you can rest assured your processor is more than capable. Otherwise, Lucid would make an announcement or restrict features, neither of which have happened to date.

Savage Geese have remarked on all the bright points of ownership and continued joys of the Lucid. This is the focus of the review of what has been achieved since launch and the continued progress of an exceptional car and driving experience.

I suspect those new processors might facilitate additional DDPro feature
No, The DDPro features are handled by the NVIDIA Orin processor, which has not been upgraded. The "new" processors are for the UI system.

No, The DDPro features are handled by the NVIDIA Orin processor, which has not been upgraded. The "new" processors are for the UI system.
I'm relieved to hear it. I thought the new hardware would've encompassed the new NVidia tech, too. That being the case, I'm not too concerned about the new processors as the only perceivable issue I've seen is with Tidal playback being affected by incoming text messages from time to time, and that might be something they can address through software alone.

This thread has gotten rather interesting. As I've posted many times, I view a car first as a driving machine and an enjoyable source of human interface with things mechanical. I am usually more annoyed than pleased when control functions are moved into software and onto screens.

The "Savage Geese" video spent most of its time lauding the engineering of the car's hardware, its superb suspension and handling, its passenger and cargo space, its comfort, and an overall daily driving experience that he prefers over any other of the many cars he's owned and driven.

Yet a passing mention of a processor upgrade has sent many on this thread -- myself included, in that I called Lucid to inquire -- down a rabbit hole in which all attention to the car as a superb driving machine dissolved into almost an obsession about the car's UI software.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind fewer signal loss issues than I have with the Lucid, but if I never see another software upgrade again in our Air, I would still take it over any other car I have ever owned (including two Teslas with their supposedly leading-edge software).

I have to disagree...just because there is a discussion about hardware doesn't mean that everything else has been disregarded. There are questions/issues regarding the hardware discussion. The fact that they loved the car is awesome, to be sure, but there aren't questions/issues surrounding that fact, hence the lack of discussion. I still love the hell out of the car.

When the software is generally the source of let down in an otherwise fantastic EV, its natural for owners to want better better processing power. I'm a big fan of Lucid, but not so much to delude myself into believing there is no room for improvement. Early adopters are willing reframe a lot of problems as a "personality" of the car, but I'm telling you the Gravity UI needs to be MUCH better than the 2.2.3 that we're on now as its going to attract a lot of first time EV buyers that won't be as charitable as a lot of folks around here.

When the software is generally the source of let down in an otherwise fantastic EV, its natural for owners to want better better processing power. I'm a big fan of Lucid, but not so much to delude myself into believing there is no room for improvement. Early adopters are willing reframe a lot of problems as a "personality" of the car, but I'm telling you the Gravity UI needs to be MUCH better than the 2.2.3 that we're on now as its going to attract a lot of first time EV buyers that won't be as charitable as a lot of folks around here.
First time EV buyer here. I was prepared for an awful experience based on what I'd read here in the months leading up to the purchase, particularly with the native maps and key fob issues. I've had zero door issues and have found the software to be intuitive and powerful. What would you say are the specific UI issues that need to be addressed to permit mass adoption?

I don't think there is one huge thing, rather there are 100 small things. In my case, I have very basic needs of car's UI. I stream BT and ... that's about it. The less you use it, the less issues you observe :)

When the software is generally the source of let down in an otherwise fantastic EV, its natural for owners to want better better processing power.

I guess I don't get all the "let down" talk about Lucid's software these days. Having one of the early Dream Editions, I lived through pure software hell for 10 months with UX 1.0. But in my view UX 2.0 began to change the game, and the stream of updates has brought Lucid into the big leagues in this regard.

I've been driving Teslas for nine years, first a 2015 Model S P90D and now a 2021 Model S Plaid. I can assure you that Tesla's vaunted leading-edge software is far from problem-free. To this day, our key fobs go through periods where they will not open the doors and sometimes will not start the car, leaving us to rub the key cards over the phone charger pad. The Plaid's automatic gear selection is faulty to the point that we invariably have to swipe up or down on the screen to get the car in the right gear. The car won't play a USB music stick. There is no birds-eye view for parking. When the car is moving, for a passenger to adjust the audio volume or A/C vents requires bracing your hand against something while you try to tease the icons just so and hope for the best. I could go on.

To me, software is not the end game. It's part of the overall means of controlling a vehicle. For my money, our Lucid is a much easier car for both driver and front-seat passengers to operate. The combination of stalks, manual switches, tactile vent adjustments, etc. -- with important software features that Tesla doesn't have, such as 360-degree views -- makes for a far more pleasant -- and safer -- use experience.

Back