Savage Geese: Long term Air review

You can retrofit the newer ecus into the older cars!
That caught my attention as well.

I also agree it is the car I like to drive the most … even if it is buried in my garage behind multiple cars in the driveway … I’ll move all of them so I can take my Air out for a run to the market or to go grab take out food. :)

Is it confirmed whether the retrofit will be offered, or did they just say it’s possible? (Genuinely curious, my present circumstances prevent me from actually watching it)

Is it confirmed whether the retrofit will be offered, or did they just say it’s possible? (Genuinely curious, my present circumstances prevent me from actually watching it)
My gut tells me Lucid reviewed this video before it posted. I'm gunna say it's confirmed.

He says he's been driving a 2025 model year for months. How do you think he got it?

Once again, a review by a seasoned expert on performance cars leaves me slack-jawed at what a marvelous piece of automotive engineering the Lucid Air really is. I got downright emotional as he was relating how much being in other cars makes him want to return to his Air. I get the same feeling. Is this love? Is it normal to feel this way about a . . . car?

The one question was when he mentioned getting better efficiency out of the lower-powered Airs. In an early interview, Peter Rawlinson said that EVs are the opposite of ICE cars in that the pursuit of efficiency means using more powerful motors, as electric motors are more efficient the lower they operate in their power band. This, rather than the pursuit of power for its own sake, was the explanation Rawlinson gave for the extraordinary horsepower ratings of the Air motors.

I got downright emotional as he was relating how much being in other cars makes him want to return to his Air. I get the same feeling. Is this love? Is it normal to feel this way about a . . . car?
Uh… I’d assume @Chrry could answer this?
The one question was when he mentioned getting better efficiency out of the lower-powered Airs. In an early interview, Peter Rawlinson said that EVs are the opposite of ICE cars in that the pursuit of efficiency means using more powerful motors, as electric motors are more efficient the lower they operate in their power band. This, rather than the pursuit of power for its own sake, was the explanation Rawlinson gave for the extraordinary horsepower ratings of the Air motors.
One thing I’d like cleared up: does this mean that the actual power output of the car matters, or does it refer to the maximum motor output (670 hp)? Essentially, what I am asking is: If a Pure were to hypothetically (somehow) make 670 hp, would it be more efficient than the current one having 430 hp despite using the same motor (rated at 670 hp)?

Uh… I’d assume @Chrry could answer this?

One thing I’d like cleared up: does this mean that the actual power output of the car matters, or does it refer to the maximum motor output (670 hp)? Essentially, what I am asking is: If a Pure were to hypothetically (somehow) make 670 hp, would it be more efficient than the current one having 430 hp despite using the same motor (rated at 670 hp)?

I'm no engineer, but my guess is that it's specifically the motor's power output that is relevant to the point Rawlinson was making. The power output of the whole powertrain involves many other factors, especially those relating to battery current output.

The amount of Pure engineering that goes into Lucids is what car engineers Dream of to be able to do. The foresight of future-proofing the systems and the "relentless pursuit" of improvements are what I love about the Lucid team. Really wish Lucid would give any upgrades of various modules to the early Dreamers and adopters at a nice discount that paid full price.

I asked about this at the Miami Service Center. I was told that Lucid will only allow the replacement of the old ECU with the new one if there is a malfunction with the old one, even if the customer is willing to pay for it. According to the Service Manager the new ECU has better communicability and is less susceptible to interference, but the increase in processing speed is not significant.

I asked about this at the Miami Service Center. I was told that Lucid will only allow the replacement of the old ECU with the new one if there is a malfunction with the old one, even if the customer is willing to pay for it. According to the Service Manager the new ECU has better communicability and is less susceptible to interference, but the increase in processing speed is not significant.
It is not something you can do today. It is something you may be able to do in the future. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Sounds like another case of service folks confidently stating things they don't know. Just last week Peter said in person they haven't figured out a plan for upgrades. Not that it's impossible, not that there are specific rules defined for it, they just don't have the answers yet.

But also, why are we already chomping at the bit for an upgrade we don't really have any details about? One that may not make any perceptible difference with our current infotainment? Relax and enjoy the ride, folks!

Not sure if control modules are plug and play, but if its an easy swap, I foresee a market for old control modules. Or a market Lucid should capitalize on.

Modules like this are already readily available from cashed Lucids. Just takes a few brave souls to give it a try...

Try searching yourself:

Select Lucid Air
Year 2024, or 20203
Chassis Control Computer
Enter any zip code

Attachments

• control modules.webp
    control modules.webp
    295.8 KB · Views: 86
Back