Saudi Arabia connection

A more pressing question on Saudi Arabia (and similar locales):

In a country with temperatures well north of 100 degrees, why do men wear bright white and women wear all black?

A more pressing question on Saudi Arabia (and similar locales):

In a country with temperatures well north of 100 degrees, why do men wear bright white and women wear all black?

Bedouin's of both sexes actually prefer black robes over white. Strange as it may sound, black robes are just as comfortable in the desert as white ones:

Especially since SA is making anti-USA moves (by lowering its oil production) is anyone having second thoughts about owning a Saudi-financed Lucid? I know there isn't a fully politically correct car to buy, (i.e. Henry Ford was an anti-Semite,) but I'd like your opinions, please!
I am no fan of the Saudis, but what did Biden expect when he stated he wanted to make Saudi Arabia an international pariah. Of course the Saudis are going to stick it to Biden by cutting their oil supply. Plus trying to make a watered down deal with Iran which whereby the US gives Iran billions of dollars which they will then use to promote international terrorism is causing alarm in a good many Arab countries not to mention Israeli security. I would have been amazed if Saudi went along with Biden's requests concerning oil production. So instead, Biden now wants to deal with Venezuela for its oil, which has a wonderful record of human rights. No hypocrisy there.

Bedouin's of both sexes actually prefer black robes over white. Strange as it may sound, black robes are just as comfortable in the desert as white ones:

An interesting experiment, but having spent weeks wrapped head-to-toe in black, part of the equation is obviously growing up in the hotter environment. In reality, Westerners probably just tend to wear their regular clothing under the shrouds, so there is probably less of the air convection for the "cooling effect". That white HAS to reflect at least a modicum of heat somehow....

It doesn’t matter if they’re a majority shareholder or not. If people want to get on their morale high ground then all companies Saudi Arabia have invested in should be boycotted. People are very quick to criticize Lucid for taking Saudi money but what about all the other companies that have allowed them to invest in them? Nothing, you don’t hear a word.

I love how the US government criticizes Saudi Arabia and says they don’t support what they do etc yet they have no issues selling them billions on military weapons among other things. For all the grandstanding the government does, Saudi Arabia isn’t getting cut off from anything anytime soon. They’ve got something we all need. Cash and oil!
Facts

And if the Biden administration cuts off the arms supply to Saudi Arabia in retaliation for cutting the oil production, it will just push the Saudis to get them from the Russians or the Chinese. Our foreign policy is not well thought out.

Let’s be honest. How many other people had to Google James Beard?

Not I. For years I had never heard of James Beard, and then I encountered the name twice this summer. When we went to Asheville for our first Lucid road trip, the James Beard Foundation named an Indian street food bistro there the best restaurant in the U.S. (We made a beeline for it the day the announcement came out, only to find it was closed for renovations.) Then when we went on a cruise circumnavigating Iceland, the ship's chefs were trained through the James Beard Foundation. And the food on the ship was spectacular.

I have no more second thoughts about buying a car from Lucid than I have about buying gas from American oil companies that have spent years and untold millions trying to deny climate change.

Do I hate many of Saudi Arabia's social and political stances? Yes.

Do I like the constant climate change denial in U.S. politics and the recent administration's hostility to electric vehicles and its attempt to revive the moribund coal industry? No.

The Saudis are rapidly diversifying their economy to prepare for the inevitable decline in fossil fuel use. What we now need from them is more sand, as we can't seem to find enough stateside to stick our heads into.
hmp10 for president

It's kind of like "can you separate the art from the artist?" A lot of "bad actors" are involved in some things that bring us a lot of joy or do a lot of good. It is just a consequence of globalization.

This was on FaceBook yesterday; "Lucid announces the opening of its first Studio in the Middle East, located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. #DreamAhead."

I'm not sure that Lucid should be promoting this - especially in the US. I have an order for a Pure DESPITE the Saudi connection, not because of it.

This was on FaceBook yesterday; "Lucid announces the opening of its first Studio in the Middle East, located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. #DreamAhead."

I'm not sure that Lucid should be promoting this - especially in the US. I have an order for a Pure DESPITE the Saudi connection, not because of it.
So they shouldn’t announce the opening of the first studio in the country that controls 61% of their stock? Not sure that would be a wise decision...

So they shouldn’t announce the opening of the first studio in the country that controls 61% of their stock? Not sure that would be a wise decision...
I'm just saying that it would have made a lot more sense to target the audience better. Saudi Arabia is no friend to the US.

They should have placed an advertisement in the Jerusalem Post, the Tehran Times or something...

I'm just saying that it would have made a lot more sense to target the audience better. Saudi Arabia is no friend to the US.

They should have placed an advertisement in the Jerusalem Post, the Tehran Times or something...
Well, they didn't send all their US customers an email about it, or anything.

It's a tough spot to be in for them. Sure, US customers might not love this relationship, but investors sure want to see it continue.

Saudi Arabia is no friend to the US.

Nor is China. But good luck trying to buy anything today without Chinese content in it, from smart phones to appliances to plumbing fixtures to cars to kitchen cabinets.

Lucid would not be manufacturing cars today if it were not for the Saudi government making commitments to EV development in a way that the U.S. government hasn't. It would be duplicitous of Lucid to try to hide the Saudi connection.

Also, Lucid stock owners are looking for Lucid to become an international brand, especially in markets that are embracing EVs faster than the U.S. If Lucid is first putting its international foot forward in the Middle East, it is to be expected that they would say so.

Nor is China. But good luck trying to buy anything today without Chinese content in it, from smart phones to appliances to plumbing fixtures to cars to kitchen cabinets.
To take one example; you don't see Apple touting the fact that the iPhone is made by Foxconn in China to the American public.

To take one example; you don't see Apple touting the fact that the iPhone is made by Foxconn in China to the American public.
Could it be because China is not the majority stakeholder in the company.

Back