Sapphire lease

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but what about the extra luxury? The far better handling? The "included" track pack? I'd argue an extra 60k would be a BARGAIN for that..

Ok…$40k more if you include track pack, I edited my comment to reflect this earlier.

I put in the Air Touring vs LR S analogy because the added luxury LITERALLY adds $10k.

$40k more isn’t enough to cover the difference? GTP and Dream drop to 100-$110k immediately after they are driven off the lot. That’s what they are worth in the eyes of the market. The last inventory GTPs were sold new by Lucid for $120-130k. $149k would be a psychological barrier “low 100s” that I think would make it sell well.

Of course it’s a different story if lucid just doesn’t have enough parts to build more sapphires. Which is my guess as to why they haven’t lowered the price

Nobody has answered my question. That's OK I'll just leave then. Go to the bloody Skoda forums!😢

JK LOL!
Skoda... get out of here European (jk, when I went to Europe those Skodas looked nice, but it was obvious they just copied a VW. Going on the Autobahn in a E220d is ill-advised, as we found out..)! 🤣 🤣 You can leave this thread, one kilometer mile at a time!

Also, Lucid did add a lease calculator for the Sapphire, which can give you a basic idea (although it won't be accurate).

Of course it’s a different story if lucid just doesn’t have enough parts to build more sapphires. Which is my guess as to why they haven’t lowered the price

Lucid would have to have access to parts to repair Sapphires, so I suspect their supply chain for Sapphires was set up to deal with very low volumes on a continuing basis. Apparently they are not building Sapphires to inventory, with each car going into production only after an order is placed.

I didn't really expect Lucid would lower the Sapphire price. It is not really aimed at customers who view it as another trim level in a multi-tiered model lineup, such as the Model S Plaid is. (Except for the third motor and the track package option, the Plaid is almost identical to the long-range Model S, reflected in its fairly small price spread.) The Sapphire is a very different car from a Grand Touring from the wheels up. It is aimed at customers who want a pinnacle car and for whom price is largely irrelevant.

Hello Mr Sapphire!🙂

"Went to the Newport Beach showroom. The lease is $4200 a month before tax for 36months and $24k down!"

Is this accurate still from earlier in this thread?

And also does it come with a house LOL! 😂
Can't speak for what it would cost now, but that's about what I'm looking at for mine from February

Lucid would have to have access to parts to repair Sapphires, so I suspect their supply chain for Sapphires was set up to deal with very low volumes on a continuing basis. Apparently they are not building Sapphires to inventory, with each car going into production only after an order is placed.

I didn't really expect Lucid would lower the Sapphire price. It is not really aimed at customers who view it as another trim level in a multi-tiered model lineup, such as the Model S Plaid is. (Except for the third motor and the track package option, the Plaid is almost identical to the long-range Model S, reflected in its fairly small price spread.) The Sapphire is a very different car from a Grand Touring from the wheels up. It is aimed at customers who want a pinnacle car and for whom price is largely irrelevant.
I do agree 100% but it does leave us Dream edition performance owners in a weird spot, especially if you got the DE used like myself. I paid $90k for my car used. Can I afford a $250k car? Hell no, not yet but I also know that the reality of EVs is they will advance very quickly and the creature comforts that come within the next 5 years will tempt me.

Without lucid offering a trim similar to my car in performance, it definitely puts me in a catch 22 along with other DE-P owners. Seems like my next car (given it’s a lucid) will have to be a GT in a couple years. Will be interesting if they ever lower sapphire prices or if they ever introduce a performance trim again.

I do agree 100% but it does leave us Dream edition performance owners in a weird spot, especially if you got the DE used like myself. I paid $90k for my car used. Can I afford a $250k car? Hell no, not yet but I also know that the reality of EVs is they will advance very quickly and the creature comforts that come within the next 5 years will tempt me.

Without lucid offering a trim similar to my car in performance, it definitely puts me in a catch 22 along with other DE-P owners. Seems like my next car (given it’s a lucid) will have to be a GT in a couple years. Will be interesting if they ever lower sapphire prices or if they ever introduce a performance trim again.

The loss of the Dream and Performance trims really does leave an extraordinarily large gap in both performance and price between the Grand Touring and the Sapphire. (Since Rawlinson has said the Sapphire actually produces well above 1,234 hp, that means well more than a 400-hp gap between the GT and the Sapphire, which is one of the widest gaps I've ever seen in a car lineup.) I seriously doubt whether the Air Sapphire would have cannibalized GT Performance sales, as I really think the Sapphire -- aside from price -- is a bridge too far for many buyers with its metal roof, stiffer suspension, dark interior palette, and heavily-bolstered front seats. I love that Lucid developed the Sapphire to demonstrate the company's phenomenal engineering chops, but I really wish it would not have come at the expense of the trims parked halfway between the Grand Touring and Sapphire performance levels.

I'm a bit on tenterhooks to see whether the Gravity Dream resurrects -- at least for a while -- that gap filler between the Gravity Grand Touring and eventual Sapphire trims. The Air Sapphire is a bit too bleeding edge for me at this stage of life, but I absolutely love our Dream Air Performance and would gladly pay a similar premium to get its enhanced powertrain in a Gravity.

Last edited:
Yes, the Sapphire to GT gap is large. But the market for anything in between is tiny.

Let’s face it: the vast majority of people can’t afford a Pure, let alone a Sapphire.

So they might as well get as much money from Sapphire as they can, while they concentrate all efforts on moving down market, not up. Keep it exclusive.

I’m sure Sapphire will eventually come down in price over time. But I wouldn’t count on it soon. Sapphire exists for the brand. It’s not meant to sell in volume.

Yes, the Sapphire to GT gap is large. But the market for anything in between is tiny.

That's probably true about the market size. However, unlike the Sapphire, the Dream and the GT-P are pretty much the same car as the Grand Touring except for the battery cell suppliers and, at least in the case of the Dream, some special metallurgy in the rear motor. The rest of the differences are in software and suspension tuning and a couple of wheel choices.

Given the price premium the Dream and the GT-P commanded over the GT, it would seem worthwhile to keep them on offer even at low volumes. Mercedes and BMW with their AMG and M versions have had to deal with a lot more hardware differences to get the price premiums those car commanded over their more mainstream versions.

I’m sure Sapphire will eventually come down in price over time. But I wouldn’t count on it soon. Sapphire exists for the brand. It’s not meant to sell in volume.

I agree Sapphire exists for the brand. I'm not so sure the price will come down over time. That could actually reduce its appeal with its target market.

Part of the thing is the Sapphire looks like a family sedan.
It is not. Well, it is that too, but...
If you think of the car as a hyper-exotic ... like a Bugatti ... actually I'm having trouble coming up with any car that compares ...

it really is a one-off. heck of a deal.

Yes I expect the technology in the Sapphire will spread to other brands, such that this kind of performance in EVs may soon be available for less...

for now ... nothing can touch it. it's a steal at 1/4 million.

I was looking for hyper-car brands to see what they are worth used. Shocked to see that you can get Lambos and Ferraris and McLarns for less than a Sapphire...and they are ridiculous, impractical cars, albeit quite beautiful. I too am waiting for the day someone gets bored with their Sapphire and dumps it on the used market. The wife definitely would not tolerate any hyper exotic ... but I might be able to sneak a Sapphire by her, as it is the sleepiest hyper-car I've ever seen; being so practical and sedan-looking.

And yet...at my advanced age I have no business driving a car with hyper-car performance. I haven't even been in Sprint mode on the GT.
My plan is to wait until she gets tired of the Mazda 6 and give her my GT...darn...I need a car...guess I'll just buy a "used" Lucid.

So yeah ... going to get a Sapphire ... in my dreams.

Last edited:
I bought a Dream Performance when they first came out and added a Sapphire. Two completely different animals. Way more than a 123 hp difference between the two.

I bought a Dream Performance when they first came out and added a Sapphire. Two completely different animals. Way more than a 123 hp difference between the two.

Go on! Why should I, a DE-P owner, lust after the sapphire? What are the differences since you have both? (Asked in earnest, no sarcasm)

Rawlinson recently said that the Sapphire develops considerably more than 1,234 hp but that they publicized that figure just to be cute. That seems an odd marketing decision. As each one of the Sapphire's three motors is supposedly capable of 670 hp, I was assuming the 1,234 hp cap was a function of limits in battery current.

I'll be interested to hear your answer to @borski as well. I know the Sapphire's added power, the rear torque vectoring, the firmer suspension tuning, the wider and stickier tires could make real differences, but I'm curious just how much of that really shows up in driving on public roads.

We have a Tesla Model S Plaid as well as an Air Dream Performance, and I find the Air the more balanced performer of the two. But then the Plaid is just an up-powered version of a long range Model S. It doesn't even utilize its dual rear motors to get true rear torque vectoring.

The loss of the Dream and Performance trims really does leave an extraordinarily large gap in both performance and price between the Grand Touring and the Sapphire. (Since Rawlinson has said the Sapphire actually produces well above 1,234 hp, that means well more than a 400-hp gap between the GT and the Sapphire, which is one of the widest gaps I've ever seen in a car lineup.) I seriously doubt whether the Air Sapphire would have cannibalized GT Performance sales, as I really think the Sapphire -- aside from price -- is a bridge too far for many buyers with its metal roof, stiffer suspension, dark interior palette, and heavily-bolstered front seats. I love that Lucid developed the Sapphire to demonstrate the company's phenomenal engineering chops, but I really wish it would not have come at the expense of the trims parked halfway between the Grand Touring and Sapphire performance levels.

I'm a bit on tenterhooks to see whether the Gravity Dream resurrects -- at least for a while -- that gap filler between the Gravity Grand Touring and eventual Sapphire trims. The Air Sapphire is a bit too bleeding edge for me at this stage of life, but I absolutely love our Dream Air Performance and would gladly pay a similar premium to get its enhanced powertrain in a Gravity.
Agreed on all counts. I think that what you would want is something like an Alpina B8 vs a BMW M8, right? In this case, the M8 would be the Sapphire, as it is the fastest version of the Lucid Air that does sacrifice some creature comforts, such as the glass roof, etc. However, I assume you would want something like an Alpina, which has the same engine but is more oriented towards comfort. A “normal” tri-motor Air (somewhat like the Alpina) with everything such as platinum accents, the glass roof, etc would be great..
Rawlinson recently said that the Sapphire develops considerably more than 1,234 hp but that they publicized that figure just to be cute.
Well, just before the Sapphire’s HP figures were revealed, Motortrend put out a comparison showing it had 1513 HP. I just couldn't believe the gap could be THAT large, as this level of underrating is unprecedented even compared to the Germans.

Well, just before the Sapphire’s HP figures were revealed, Motortrend put out a comparison showing it had 1513 HP. I just couldn't believe the gap could be THAT large, as this level of underrating is unprecedented even compared to the Germans.

It might be. Rawlinson has railed, privately, against terms like “Ludicrous” and “Insane,” instead choosing to call the performance of the Air, on nearly every single call and in every conversation, simply “satisfactory.”

When he announced the Sapphire, he used the very same word.

Given that level of understatement, it is entirely possible the gap is that large. I don’t know, but I wouldn’t put it past them, heh.

(I don’t know whether it’s good or bad marketing, I’m not opining on that; I do prefer understated over bluster, but I don’t know if bluster sells more cars, or if perhaps we already have enough bluster out there)

It might be. Rawlinson has railed, privately, against terms like “Ludicrous” and “Insane,” instead choosing to call the performance of the Air, on nearly every single call and in every conversation, simply “satisfactory.”

When he announced the Sapphire, he used the very same word.

Given that level of understatement, it is entirely possible the gap is that large. I don’t know, but I wouldn’t put it past them, heh.

(I don’t know whether it’s good or bad marketing, I’m not opining on that; I do prefer understated over bluster, but I don’t know if bluster sells more cars, or if perhaps we already have enough bluster out there)
So basically... he turned into a Rolls Royce CEO? 🤣 (Rolls Royce is well known for an oddly similar thing, calling the performance of their cars merely "adequate.") The Sapphire being "satisfactory" is certainly one of the understatements of the century. Maybe if they advertised it with 1400 hp, but it was really 1513, I could accept that (even THAT is a huge understatement).. but its 300 HP "down!"

I definitely don't know about what the target audience is like (if they like headline figures or not), but at least to most people my age the higher figure would make the difference between it being a "poster" car or not (which I'd think is one of the purposes of the Sapphire). Then again, there will be about -0.5 people my age buying the Sapphire, so only our Sapphire owners (@Charley , @Bill55 , @RM-S8) really have the authority to chime in on whether they would prefer the higher figure or not. Also, Sapphire owners, do any of you have plans to dyno the car?

So basically... he turned into a Rolls Royce CEO? 🤣 (Rolls Royce is well known for an oddly similar thing, calling the performance of their cars merely "adequate.") The Sapphire being "satisfactory" is certainly one of the understatements of the century. Maybe if they advertised it with 1400 hp, but it was really 1513, I could accept that (even THAT is a huge understatement).. but its 300 HP "down!"

I definitely don't know about what the target audience is like (if they like headline figures or not), but at least to most people my age the higher figure would make the difference between it being a "poster" car or not (which I'd think is one of the purposes of the Sapphire). Then again, there will be about -0.5 people my age buying the Sapphire, so only our Sapphire owners (@Charley , @Bill55 , @RM-S8) really have the authority to chime in on whether they would prefer the higher figure or not. Also, Sapphire owners, do any of you have plans to dyno the car?
To me as an individual, the figure doesn't matter so much. However I think for marketing purposes, xponents is right. Advertising the actual figures if they are larger than a clever number like 1234 would make more sense and make the car more memorable. That being said, if it's close, then a gimmicky number may make sense to make a figure stick. For example if the Sapphire actually has like 1275 hp then 1234 may be easier to remember for "non-car" people? I would be shocked if they underrated the power by even 100hp...

Also interesting is the hp/tq difference on the Sapphire. On all the other Air models, the gap between advertised hp and tq is nowhere near as large as on the Sapphire, with several trims having more hp than torque. Speculation, but could support the idea that Sapphire has a underrated hp #

Back