Repair Costs

TCGT

Cars
Grand Touring
Starting a new thread here on general repair costs that might come up. All just FYI.

Case #1:

Had a rock take out one of my front parking sensors and Lucid is pricing a new sensor at $600 plus tax which does not including painting it. My location (Twin Cities) is 400 miles from Chicago, so they've partnered with a local body shop which can do it (and also does sensor and camera calibration). Not sure of price for painting yet.

Case #2:

A small scuff on the rear bumper that insurance (other party) will pay for is around $2600.

Case #3:

I scraped up underneath the left front wheel well (parking issue), and the repair replaces some trim pieces and then requires re-calibration of the front Lidar and Cameras ($395 each calibration). Total about $2500.

Very low damage to GT Stealth Trim Package. Front end damage from running over a tire that came flying at me. Also ripped out the battery coolant hose, so a few hundred to replace the pump. Overall it seemed like pretty basic damage to a few trim pieces. Estimate was $2,300 in parts and over $5,100 in labor. Total $7,665.62

(if you have your car ceramic coated, make sure you tell insurance so you can get those pieces recoated)

Attachments

• IMG_9922.jpeg
    IMG_9922.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9924.jpeg
    IMG_9924.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 178
Rear ended by Ford F650 (roughly 26,000 lbs gross vehicle weight, likely 18,000 at time of impact). I was at a stop light, the F650 decided "to go".
The trunk was sprung open (no longer water tight (not drivable in rain/snow) and would not open/close). The rear bumper & light bar were damaged beyond repair. The rear window was cracked.
$27,384.54 & just under 4 months to repair (mostly parts wait).

Attachments

• 20221107_160823.jpg
    20221107_160823.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 239
  • 20221107_155606.jpg
    20221107_155606.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 225
  • 20221107_152808.jpg
    20221107_152808.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 20221107_152540.jpg
    20221107_152540.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 257
Rear ended by Ford F650 (roughly 26,000 lbs gross vehicle weight, likely 18,000 at time of impact). I was at a stop light, the F650 decided "to go".
The trunk was sprung open (no longer water tight (not drivable in rain/snow) and would not open/close). The rear bumper & light bar were damaged beyond repair. The rear window was cracked.
It’s amazing how good the car still looks after significant damage. I was able to drive mine after my accident while I waited for parts, but my front end looked almost completely fine, minus a single perfect circular hole that their tailpipe went through. All the electronics worked. I barely felt anything.

~$20000 repair (about 4-5k of which was radar/ppf)

Her 2002 Camry? Totaled.

And before anyone gets on me about rear ending someone, you weren’t there, lol. I’m not sure I know of literally anyone who could have avoided this one, following someone who short stopped from about 55 to about 5 to try and make an exit about 80 feet away. I almost swerved but couldn’t safely. The car did slam on the brakes (as did I, and admittedly I’m not sure which one of us did first) and it couldn’t quite save it. Impact at about 10-12mph.

Parts took about 6-8 weeks. Work took about another 4-6.

Attachments

• IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 207
Chipped driver side window needed glass replaced happened with my first tinter who ended up being the last tinter: $475

ouch. how long before insurance companies start adjusting for the repair costs? i already got a premium increase in July with no claims.

My wife clipped a mailbox due to an oncoming car crowding her. Shattered the right side mirror, broken the plastic turn signal lens and a small ding in the mirror housing. Mobile service came out and replaced the housing and mirror lens, but didn’t have the internal parts to allow mirror adjustment. Just clear taped the mirror in place over a homemade foam rubber filler. Tyler is coming back tomorrow to complete the install. Quoted price is ~$700.

This thread is depressing. Sorry for all you guys who had your Lucid's involved in an accident.

I mentioned this in another forum, but after seeing all the teardowns and reviews of how compact and miniaturized the front is, there's a ton of stuff around the frunk area and I think it's probably the part of the car that requires most labor costs as everything is so compact and difficult to remove and replace and put it all back together.

This thread is depressing. Sorry for all you guys who had your Lucid's involved in an accident.

I mentioned this in another forum, but after seeing all the teardowns and reviews of how compact and miniaturized the front is, there's a ton of stuff around the frunk area and I think it's probably the part of the car that requires most labor costs as everything is so compact and difficult to remove and replace and put it all back together.
It's important to remember this is the first car from a brand new company. As such, a lot of the parts and assembly of this car are bespoke and complex. That's guaranteed to have an effect on repair costs.

I would expect these numbers to come down with new models over time, as Lucid learns to scale. But for the short term, this is part of the deal when you jump into an early adopter situation.

Comparisons to any other car company aren't really fair. Unless you compare to Rivian or some other new company. (And if you check Rivian repair costs, you'll see they are in line with Lucid.)

Replacing a broken iPhone screen used to cost hundreds of dollars. Now you can get a quick repair in an hour for $29 if you have AppleCare on your phone. Took years for that to become possible.

It's important to remember this is the first car from a brand new company. As such, a lot of the parts and assembly of this car are bespoke and complex. That's guaranteed to have an effect on repair costs.

I would expect these numbers to come down with new models over time, as Lucid learns to scale. But for the short term, this is part of the deal when you jump into an early adopter situation.

Comparisons to any other car company aren't really fair. Unless you compare to Rivian or some other new company. (And if you check Rivian repair costs, you'll see they are in line with Lucid.)

Replacing a broken iPhone screen used to cost hundreds of dollars. Now you can get a quick repair in an hour for $29 if you have AppleCare on your phone. Took years for that to become possible.
So, I guess we should then also expect the insurance cost to be that much higher as well. An insurance Company SHOULD look at the repair cost being higher for whatever reason and charge accordingly. I did not find my insurance cost to be much, if at all, higher than my BMW M5, but the cost to repair sure is.

I am not arguing that the cost of repair should not be higher, just that we all realize it probably is, for whatever reason. I do expect insurance costs to catch up and for them to be higher if the cost to repair is higher.

So, I guess we should then also expect the insurance cost to be that much higher as well. An insurance Company SHOULD look at the repair cost being higher for whatever reason and charge accordingly. I did not find my insurance cost to be much, if at all, higher than my BMW M5, but the cost to repair sure is.

I am not arguing that the cost of repair should not be higher, just that we all realize it probably is, for whatever reason. I do expect insurance costs to catch up and for them to be higher if the cost to repair is higher.
Oh, insurance will definitely go up once enough claims are paid out. I think most of these companies had no idea what a "Lucid Air" was and priced along the same lines as a Tesla or other more established EVs. Enjoy the low rates while they last.

In my case, while I filed with my insurance (State Farm), they then went against the other vehicle's insurance and they got full reimbursement in arbitration (including my deductible being recovered, $0 out of pocket in the end for me). I've seen 2 bills (6 month policy renewal) since the claim, and the rates I am paying (about $100/month) have not changed beyond what is occurring across the board in car insurance (up a bit). Yup, Lucid seems to be in line with Rivian, and it is not just EVs, but more about the "luxury" component I believe (all those sensors make repair much more complex).

It’s amazing how good the car still looks after significant damage. I was able to drive mine after my accident while I waited for parts, but my front end looked almost completely fine, minus a single perfect circular hole that their tailpipe went through. All the electronics worked. I barely felt anything.

~$20000 repair (about 4-5k of which was radar/ppf)

Her 2002 Camry? Totaled.

And before anyone gets on me about rear ending someone, you weren’t there, lol. I’m not sure I know of literally anyone who could have avoided this one, following someone who short stopped from about 55 to about 5 to try and make an exit about 80 feet away. I almost swerved but couldn’t safely. The car did slam on the brakes (as did I, and admittedly I’m not sure which one of us did first) and it couldn’t quite save it. Impact at about 10-12mph.

Parts took about 6-8 weeks. Work took about another 4-6.
The camry was at fault for insurance claims? Any effects on your insurance premium?

The camry was at fault for insurance claims? Any effects on your insurance premium?
No, it was definitely ruled my fault. My point was that it was unavoidable unless I had been in a different lane entirely; I wasn’t following close, either. It’s just unreasonable to come to a near-complete stop in no traffic to make an exit, imho.

No effect on premiums thus far (they went up slightly, but in line with average rate increases in the state, not seemingly due to the claim).

No, it was definitely ruled my fault. My point was that it was unavoidable unless I had been in a different lane entirely; I wasn’t following close, either. It’s just unreasonable to come to a near-complete stop in no traffic to make an exit, imho.

No effect on premiums thus far (they went up slightly, but in line with average rate increases in the state, not seemingly due to the claim).
I don't understand how it can be ruled your fault when someone stops in the middle of a highway? That's reckless and endangering others.
Regardless of following distance. It's the equivalent of being brake checked

I don't understand how it can be ruled your fault when someone stops in the middle of a highway? That's reckless and endangering others.

I agree BUT the government officials would tell you that you were required to leave enough space to stop. Now if the car in front of you had done that and its brake lights didn't work, then you would have a case.

I rear-ended them; there was nobody else around to prove they slammed on their brakes, and I don't have a dashcam and her 2002 Camry definitely didn't have one either.

I agree it wasn't my fault. Proving that would be impossible, in this case.

while parked in my driveway after washing my lucid touring a family member caught the side of my rear bumper. No other damage, but I’m afraid the fascia may need replaced and I’ve read mostly horror stories. I was hoping that I could call my service center and they would be able to get one in a couple days and just pull the old one off and put a new one one on. I’ve called service center and lucid approved shop and not heard back from either in the past 5 and 3 days. seems no one really wants to do the work or tell me what it’s going to cost. Don’t plan on sending to insurance, but am really depressed from my experience so far. The glossy area is from a wrap I had added. Any thoughts or ideas on going forward would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.3 KB · Views: 142
while parked in my driveway after washing my lucid touring a family member caught the side of my rear bumper. No other damage, but I’m afraid the fascia may need replaced and I’ve read mostly horror stories. I was hoping that I could call my service center and they would be able to get one in a couple days and just pull the old one off and put a new one one on. I’ve called service center and lucid approved shop and not heard back from either in the past 5 and 3 days. seems no one really wants to do the work or tell me what it’s going to cost. Don’t plan on sending to insurance, but am really depressed from my experience so far. The glossy area is from a wrap I had added. Any thoughts or ideas on going forward would be much appreciated.
To replace that will be in the thousands. If probably get some Dr colorchip and just paint it to not look as bad

Back