Rant Regarding Windshield Cracks

Maverick

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
So I'll start this post off by saying that I am cursed when it comes to windshields. Having had my Jeep for about 2.5 years, I have had to replace my windshield no fewer than 7 times (and the newest one is currently cracked). While I thought that this bad luck was related to the Jeep windshield design, I have also had 2 windshield replacements on the Lucid in the 4.5 months I've owned it (more on those in the second). As a result, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expert on windshield cracks. This morning while driving to Costco, I managed to get yet another crack in my Lucid windshield.

To bring us up to speed, I got the first crack on US 60 in Mesa while about 4 miles from dropping it off at the PPF place in May. I was surprised that what sounded like a small-to-medium-sized rock while going 60 mph would cause a crack, I chalked it up to bad luck. It was the type of crack that likely could have been repaired, but of course, Lucid doesn't offer repair, only replacement. And as @MoniputerLM pointed out, having someone else try to repair it has not yielded good results. Additionally, the crack looked different than any I had seen before on my Jeep or Truck. For such a small projectile, the crack seemed to go farther into the glass than I've seen. Basically, it looked like it punched a hole in the top layer while the bottom layer (interior side) stayed in tact. After getting that replaced, all was well for about a month.

In June, I needed to have a little bit of PPF repair work done not long after I had had the windshield replaced. When I picked it up, there was a 2 foot linear crack above the driver's side and along the edge of the glass. It was entirely on the interior, so something related to the glass structure or install had caused the crack, and thankfully, Lucid agreed and replaced this at no charge.

With today's crack, I was driving down Happy Valley Rd (for those in PHX), and both I and the car in front of me slowed down to about 40 mph to cross a bit of sand that had washed over the road from the rain the day before. Before I crossed, I heard the tell-tale sound of a small rock hitting the windshield. It was a thunk that should have been deflected without harm. Instead, I immediately noticed another crack in front of the passenger seat. The spread is well under the size of dime, but certainly very noticeable. Again, this would be something that should easily be repaired in any other vehicle but no option for that here. More concerning is that it cracked the windshield in the first place. Additionally, once I parked and had the chance to look at it, again, this crack looked like it penetrated the top layer. Though a smaller hole, there was still one there.

Given all of this, I think the glass for windshields suck. I don't think they have the same strength as most other cars, and if accurate, this is a big problem given that there are no repair options and it costs $2500 to replace. On top of that, because I am cursed with windshields, if I need to get it replaced any time soon, it will have to be out of pocket as I can't file anymore claims for a while. I love the car. I've had almost no issues hardware or software wise, but Lucid, assuming you're reading this, I'm pissed. Please look into this! Maybe it's just my curse and everybody else is doing great, but man, it feels like I should be able to take a small pebble off a massively angled roof at 40 mph and not get a crack in my windshield!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or feels the same, but I'd love to hear from you.

So I'll start this post off by saying that I am cursed when it comes to windshields. Having had my Jeep for about 2.5 years, I have had to replace my windshield no fewer than 7 times (and the newest one is currently cracked). While I thought that this bad luck was related to the Jeep windshield design, I have also had 2 windshield replacements on the Lucid in the 4.5 months I've owned it (more on those in the second). As a result, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expert on windshield cracks. This morning while driving to Costco, I managed to get yet another crack in my Lucid windshield.

To bring us up to speed, I got the first crack on US 60 in Mesa while about 4 miles from dropping it off at the PPF place in May. I was surprised that what sounded like a small-to-medium-sized rock while going 60 mph would cause a crack, I chalked it up to bad luck. It was the type of crack that likely could have been repaired, but of course, Lucid doesn't offer repair, only replacement. And as @MoniputerLM pointed out, having someone else try to repair it has not yielded good results. Additionally, the crack looked different than any I had seen before on my Jeep or Truck. For such a small projectile, the crack seemed to go farther into the glass than I've seen. Basically, it looked like it punched a hole in the top layer while the bottom layer (interior side) stayed in tact. After getting that replaced, all was well for about a month.

In June, I needed to have a little bit of PPF repair work done not long after I had had the windshield replaced. When I picked it up, there was a 2 foot linear crack above the driver's side and along the edge of the glass. It was entirely on the interior, so something related to the glass structure or install had caused the crack, and thankfully, Lucid agreed and replaced this at no charge.

With today's crack, I was driving down Happy Valley Rd (for those in PHX), and both I and the car in front of me slowed down to about 40 mph to cross a bit of sand that had washed over the road from the rain the day before. Before I crossed, I heard the tell-tale sound of a small rock hitting the windshield. It was a thunk that should have been deflected without harm. Instead, I immediately noticed another crack in front of the passenger seat. The spread is well under the size of dime, but certainly very noticeable. Again, this would be something that should easily be repaired in any other vehicle but no option for that here. More concerning is that it cracked the windshield in the first place. Additionally, once I parked and had the chance to look at it, again, this crack looked like it penetrated the top layer. Though a smaller hole, there was still one there.

Given all of this, I think the glass for windshields suck. I don't think they have the same strength as most other cars, and if accurate, this is a big problem given that there are no repair options and it costs $2500 to replace. On top of that, because I am cursed with windshields, if I need to get it replaced any time soon, it will have to be out of pocket as I can't file anymore claims for a while. I love the car. I've had almost no issues hardware or software wise, but Lucid, assuming you're reading this, I'm pissed. Please look into this! Maybe it's just my curse and everybody else is doing great, but man, it feels like I should be able to take a small pebble off a massively angled roof at 40 mph and not get a crack in my windshield!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or feels the same, but I'd love to hear from you.
I haven’t had any issues here in CA *knocks on wood*

If you have comprehensive or glass coverage, there shouldn’t be a limit on making claims?

I have had (4) cracked windshields on (2) different cars while living in Houston for (7) years. Part of the problem, I think, is that manufacturers are making the glass thinner to save weight. I wish Lucid would offer extended warranties. When I bought the C8 Vette and the AMG EQS, I got the factory windshield replacement warranty. It was the cost of one windshield so I thought that was a good deal.

I haven’t had any issues here in CA *knocks on wood*

If you have comprehensive or glass coverage, there shouldn’t be a limit on making claims?
There was definitely a limit. Didn't know that until they dropped me a week or so ago. I guess any 5 claims in a 36 month period will trigger this. There's no deductible, but do it enough, and they say goodbye. Fortunately, the policy isn't up until March, but man, very annoying.

I have had (4) cracked windshields on (2) different cars while living in Houston for (7) years. Part of the problem, I think, is that manufacturers are making the glass thinner to save weight. I wish Lucid would offer extended warranties. When I bought the C8 Vette and the AMG EQS, I got the factory windshield replacement warranty. It was the cost of one windshield so I thought that was a good deal.
I'd definitely opt for that were it an option. Or maybe Lucid could figure out how to do repairs. I told the SC that I'd be a guinea pig for it if they wanted to give it a shot.

I've had quite a few rocks hit my windshield and I always double check because of your experience. Supposedly, those windshield coatings (not the film) are supposed to help, but I think it's all marketing. Either way, when I got my ceramic they put it on for free.

Sorry to hear about yet another windshield mishap , @Maverick..
Can @MoniputerLM give us more details on this warranty? Who underwrites it?
Both are factory warranties, I think, but will check. As I remember, there was a cheaper 3rd party option.

I will verify and report back.

I don’t have my Lucid yet but I’ve had my share of windshield chips and bullseyes on other vehicles. I’ve had good luck with this DIY repair kit:

Works just as well as the safelite repair (which I’ve had done in the past). I use it even if I get very small chips as it can keep them from spreading.

You can pick it up for about 10 bucks in the auto parts section at Walmart.

I just became the latest victim from the torrential rain yesterday.
A white Chevy commercial van pulling a mini trailer was merging in from Cactus, 101 E. The mini trailer spit up a shower of rocks and I now got a cracked windshield. I think it is repairable,
I was the second car behind this van and who knows how many cars were hit.
If more people use mud flaps, this kind of thing would be less common.
I was sufficiently ticked that I caught up with this van to see the name of the company and he ROC number on the van.

I just became the latest victim from the torrential rain yesterday.
A white Chevy commercial van pulling a mini trailer was merging in from Cactus, 101 E. The mini trailer spit up a shower of rocks and I now got a cracked windshield. I think it is repairable,
I was the second car behind this van and who knows how many cars were hit.
If more people use mud flaps, this kind of thing would be less common.
I was sufficiently ticked that I caught up with this van to see the name of the company and he ROC number on the van.
Hopefully my misfortune today didn't rub off on you. I can't remember ever having a crack in my windshield let alone replacing one until I moved to AZ.

Maybe Lucid can source some gorilla glass from this other popular EV company… oh wait…

As a fellow Phoenix resident, I can certainly empathize with you. Our roads are full of small rocks which, when combined with trucks and lawn service trailers who can't be bothered to install mudflaps, make for lots of rock chips.

I was considering installing a windshield film if/when I ever take delivery of my Touring. I thought this video provided a pretty good overview of that technology. TL;DR - both window films stopped a Tesla windshield from being cracked after being shot with a BB gun.

Hopefully my misfortune today didn't rub off on you. I can't remember ever having a crack in my windshield let alone replacing one until I moved to AZ.
Same where. Never had a windshield crack anywhere else that I'd lived.
In hindsight, I shouldn't have been the 101 yesterday.
Aware of Cactus having been flooded and seeing your post, I should have known better and picked a different route.
Yesterday, that stretch of the 101, on the right side, was literally covered with gravels and rocks washed down from the freeway bank.

Last edited:
Same where. Never had a windshield crack anywhere else that I'd lived.
In hindsight, I shouldn't have been the 101 yesterday.
Aware of Cactus having been flooded and seeing your post, I should have known better and picked a different route.
Yesterday, that stretch of the 101, on the right side, was literally covered with gravels and rocks washed down from the freeway bank.
And Scottsdale Road was closed South of Cactus and north of Fashion Square.

When I lived in tempe for a short time, all of my co workers ranted about getting their windshield cracked again. The roads there just have tons of rocks randomly everywhere. You just have to be more proactive about the way you drive. Dont drive behind lifted trucks, or semi trucks without trailers or mudflaps. I usually do this anyway anywhere I drive. I try not to follow anyone or if I do, its some small car. Plus small cars give greater visibility ahead so you can see traffic better.

When I lived in tempe for a short time, all of my co workers ranted about getting their windshield cracked again. The roads there just have tons of rocks randomly everywhere. You just have to be more proactive about the way you drive. Dont drive behind lifted trucks, or semi trucks without trailers or mudflaps. I usually do this anyway anywhere I drive. I try not to follow anyone or if I do, its some small car. Plus small cars give greater visibility ahead so you can see traffic better.
You know, I'm actually pretty proactive these days. The problem is that literally any car can get a rock stuck in the tread. In my case on Saturday, it was a Mercedes SUV going over sand at 40 mph. And I definitely know that AZ is a problem overall. The issue I have is that the actual cracks on the Lucid windshield seem to penetrate the glass a lot deeper than I have seen on my other cars. Both times it's felt like broken glass in the "crater". The first time I was actually worried that it had cracked the interior side of the glass which would have been a first for me.

You know, I'm actually pretty proactive these days. The problem is that literally any car can get a rock stuck in the tread. In my case on Saturday, it was a Mercedes SUV going over sand at 40 mph. And I definitely know that AZ is a problem overall. The issue I have is that the actual cracks on the Lucid windshield seem to penetrate the glass a lot deeper than I have seen on my other cars. Both times it's felt like broken glass in the "crater". The first time I was actually worried that it had cracked the interior side of the glass which would have been a first for me.
I think the only way to avoid rock chips in AZ is not to drive. My luck is not as bad as yours, but I average one windshield every year between my car and my wife's car. A new Lucid windshield every two years is about exactly the same as my insurance premium. I am sure that our insurance prices will increase to cover this cost unless Lucid can find a repair technique, stronger glass or lower cost replacement.

You guys just made me want to avoid AZ passing thru with Air in the future. 😔

Kim Java just posted a video on Rivian's problem with their glass roof. Kim sits on the metal part of the roof, leans back and puts her hands on the glass part...and CRACK. She looks at internet and sees examples of others posting about their glass canopies breaking. Guy is washing his truck, standing on the bed, leans forward with his hand on the canopy and breaks the glass. She and the truck owner take the truck to the service center and the service center personnel break the 2 canopies they had in stock so they have to wait until new stock is delivered. Service personnel say there's no problem with their glass. I hope Lucid's canopy can handle me leaning over on it as I wash it. With @Maverick's luck, I won't ask him to test it.

Back