Rant Regarding Windshield Cracks

Kim Java just posted a video on Rivian's problem with their glass roof. Kim sits on the metal part of the roof, leans back and puts her hands on the glass part...and CRACK. She looks at internet and sees examples of others posting about their glass canopies breaking. Guy is washing his truck, standing on the bed, leans forward with his hand on the canopy and breaks the glass. She and the truck owner take the truck to the service center and the service center personnel break the 2 canopies they had in stock so they have to wait until new stock is delivered. Service personnel say there's no problem with their glass. I hope Lucid's canopy can handle me leaning over on it as I wash it. With @Maverick's luck, I won't ask him to test it.
I do think that truck has a lot of fun factor.

I went to Ford dealership today, I was told F150 Lightning from ordering date to delivery is currently 1 year+ wait.

This is an Arizona reality. I lived on the east coast for decades, never had to replace a windshield. In Arizona, I have had to replace windshields on every car I have had in Arizona often. I have a Porsche Boxster S. I have replaced rock cracked windshields 5 times on that car. Twice on an Escalade. Once for a Mercedes-Benz sedan. I average about one new windshield per year. it's crazy. For my Air GT, I have heard stones hit the windshield and there are now some chips but no cracks or stars. I have 5,200 miles on the Air. I am assuming it will just be a matter of time until there will be a crack that forces a new windshield.

Kim Java just posted a video on Rivian's problem with their glass roof. Kim sits on the metal part of the roof, leans back and puts her hands on the glass part...and CRACK. She looks at internet and sees examples of others posting about their glass canopies breaking. Guy is washing his truck, standing on the bed, leans forward with his hand on the canopy and breaks the glass. She and the truck owner take the truck to the service center and the service center personnel break the 2 canopies they had in stock so they have to wait until new stock is delivered. Service personnel say there's no problem with their glass. I hope Lucid's canopy can handle me leaning over on it as I wash it. With @Maverick's luck, I won't ask him to test it.
One of the reasons why I don't/didn't want the glass roof.

I’m in the same boat, never had a windshield crack or star until I moved to AZ. You all have me worried about my Lucid windshield, when I get it. I have often complained about BMW windshields, have replaced about 1 per year. My Chevy truck doesn’t seem to have a problem. Lots of rock hits, but no damage.

Glass roof handles washes just fine! My car has been washed at least 12 times no issues!

Maybe Lucid and Tesla use better roof glasses than Rivian?

Lucid earlier this year complained about supply chain issue with those big glasses, but Rivian didn’t seem to have that problem and ramping up. Perhaps it is easier for vendors to deliver Rivian glasses?

As a fellow Phoenix resident, I can certainly empathize with you. Our roads are full of small rocks which, when combined with trucks and lawn service trailers who can't be bothered to install mudflaps, make for lots of rock chips.

I was considering installing a windshield film if/when I ever take delivery of my Touring. I thought this video provided a pretty good overview of that technology. TL;DR - both window films stopped a Tesla windshield from being cracked after being shot with a BB gun.

although i also have no deductible on my windshield, i would probably consider paying for a windshield protection film just so i can avoid the hassle of replacing my windshield and time, such a pain, removing the dashcam and then having to re-order my registration and inspection stickers because it looks like crap when they peel it off and put it on the new window. The only downside is the fact that these films will need to be replace every 1-2 years.

Guess I won't be ordering that Rivian then.

Maybe Lucid and Tesla use better roof glasses than Rivian?

Lucid earlier this year complained about supply chain issue with those big glasses, but Rivian didn’t seem to have that problem and ramping up. Perhaps it is easier for vendors to deliver Rivian glasses?
The owner made a good point that maybe because of them trying to fix panel misalignments post-production that it could put stress on the frame and glass? In any case, the fact that the R1T glass shatters that easily and is a common problem is kind of a big deal because the whole point of this thing is to take it off road where it's going to face way more glass impact potentials than the Lucid would. And I thought it was funny his phone proximity key doesn't unlock the car half the time, sound familiar? Just further justifies my evangelism for carrying the fob.

I had the windshield in my wife’s FJ replaced last year and made it 3 miles down 60 in Mesa before a rock bounced up and cracked it. I was so pissed I had to pull over and cuss for a few minutes. Arizona just seems to be bad to windshields. It is strange to me though that the Lucid also has issues, we have a Camry that has been hit by multiple rocks and hasn’t been hurt. With the Lucid I would have expected rocks to not hit at such an angle that they would break so easily. The FJ is practically flat, so it’s more understandable, bugs don’t stand a chance either 🙂

I think its an Arizona thing. I lived in Arizona for a couple of years and everyone complained that windshields were always getting cracked. When I took my Porsche in for service and got a loaner, I had to pay extra to cover all the windshields that broke. Arizona is more of a pickup truck state.

I think its an Arizona thing. I lived in Arizona for a couple of years and everyone complained that windshields were always getting cracked. When I took my Porsche in for service and got a loaner, I had to pay extra to cover all the windshields that broke. Arizona is more of a pickup truck state.
I totally agree that AZ is a big part of the problem. All of the rocks that get washed or blown on to the road and picked up by wheel tread only to be launched at your windshield one day makes sense. BUT having lived here for 10 years now, and owning a Jeep, I believe I'm a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to rock impact sounds and their likelihood of causing a crack. With my most recent crack, I strongly believe that the angle of the windshield, the size of the rock and the speed the car was traveling should not have caused a crack and certainly should npt have caused a crack that actually punctured into the glass itself.

I totally agree that AZ is a big part of the problem. All of the rocks that get washed or blown on to the road and picked up by wheel tread only to be launched at your windshield one day makes sense. BUT having lived here for 10 years now, and owning a Jeep, I believe I'm a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to rock impact sounds and their likelihood of causing a crack. With my most recent crack, I strongly believe that the angle of the windshield, the size of the rock and the speed the car was traveling should not have caused a crack and certainly should npt have caused a crack that actually punctured into the glass itself.
Cracking the glass on a Lucid must suck with all that glass.

By the way, and this is a true story, when I moved out to Arizona a couple years ago I don't think I had had a windshield break on any car I was driving for well over 20 years. But on day one, I was driving east on Highway 8 and a rock kicked up and shattered my windshield on my one month old Porsche Cayenne S. No joke. That's when I was told by, the glass replacement people, that it's a common occurrence in Arizona. It was like Arizona was saying "welcome to Arizona!" I have since moved back to California.

So I'll start this post off by saying that I am cursed when it comes to windshields. Having had my Jeep for about 2.5 years, I have had to replace my windshield no fewer than 7 times (and the newest one is currently cracked). While I thought that this bad luck was related to the Jeep windshield design, I have also had 2 windshield replacements on the Lucid in the 4.5 months I've owned it (more on those in the second). As a result, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expert on windshield cracks. This morning while driving to Costco, I managed to get yet another crack in my Lucid windshield.

To bring us up to speed, I got the first crack on US 60 in Mesa while about 4 miles from dropping it off at the PPF place in May. I was surprised that what sounded like a small-to-medium-sized rock while going 60 mph would cause a crack, I chalked it up to bad luck. It was the type of crack that likely could have been repaired, but of course, Lucid doesn't offer repair, only replacement. And as @MoniputerLM pointed out, having someone else try to repair it has not yielded good results. Additionally, the crack looked different than any I had seen before on my Jeep or Truck. For such a small projectile, the crack seemed to go farther into the glass than I've seen. Basically, it looked like it punched a hole in the top layer while the bottom layer (interior side) stayed in tact. After getting that replaced, all was well for about a month.

In June, I needed to have a little bit of PPF repair work done not long after I had had the windshield replaced. When I picked it up, there was a 2 foot linear crack above the driver's side and along the edge of the glass. It was entirely on the interior, so something related to the glass structure or install had caused the crack, and thankfully, Lucid agreed and replaced this at no charge.

With today's crack, I was driving down Happy Valley Rd (for those in PHX), and both I and the car in front of me slowed down to about 40 mph to cross a bit of sand that had washed over the road from the rain the day before. Before I crossed, I heard the tell-tale sound of a small rock hitting the windshield. It was a thunk that should have been deflected without harm. Instead, I immediately noticed another crack in front of the passenger seat. The spread is well under the size of dime, but certainly very noticeable. Again, this would be something that should easily be repaired in any other vehicle but no option for that here. More concerning is that it cracked the windshield in the first place. Additionally, once I parked and had the chance to look at it, again, this crack looked like it penetrated the top layer. Though a smaller hole, there was still one there.

Given all of this, I think the glass for windshields suck. I don't think they have the same strength as most other cars, and if accurate, this is a big problem given that there are no repair options and it costs $2500 to replace. On top of that, because I am cursed with windshields, if I need to get it replaced any time soon, it will have to be out of pocket as I can't file anymore claims for a while. I love the car. I've had almost no issues hardware or software wise, but Lucid, assuming you're reading this, I'm pissed. Please look into this! Maybe it's just my curse and everybody else is doing great, but man, it feels like I should be able to take a small pebble off a massively angled roof at 40 mph and not get a crack in my windshield!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or feels the same, but I'd love to hear from you.
It seems like you've encountered a streak of bad luck when it comes to windshields, both with your Jeep and now your Lucid. Dealing with cracks and replacements can be a hassle, especially when the design and strength of the glass come into question. Your observation about the cracks penetrating the top layer of the glass is intriguing and raises concerns about the durability of the windshields. Given your experiences, it might be worth exploring options for stronger glass or advocating for improvements in windshield technology. In the meantime, keeping an eye out for any advancements or repair solutions like the Crack Eraser (crackeraser.com) could potentially help mitigate future issues. Sharing your feedback and concerns might also prompt manufacturers to take a closer look at the windshield quality of their vehicles.

I just became the latest victim from the torrential rain yesterday.
A white Chevy commercial van pulling a mini trailer was merging in from Cactus, 101 E. The mini trailer spit up a shower of rocks and I now got a cracked windshield. I think it is repairable,
I was the second car behind this van and who knows how many cars were hit.
If more people use mud flaps, this kind of thing would be less common.
I was sufficiently ticked that I caught up with this van to see the name of the company and he ROC number on the van.

Good for you. That is a very badly designed exit/entry setup where a lane disappears only to reappear a mile later. One of the advantages of an electric car in Arizona is you can drive in the carpool lane and the trucks that spill rocks and kick them up tend not to drive in those lanes. I drive that road all the time, usually starting at Frank Lloyd Wright entry on the way to see my son and grandson in Tempe.

When I got my current car a week later I got a chip on the passenger side. I got it repaired at no cost. 8 months later despite all the construction sites and vehicles around here, no others (I probably just jinxed myself). I don't see what is different about Lucid glass that prevents repairs of a chip.

Actually, Pilkington and Safelite have told me that Colorado has the honor of the number one state for windshield replacement. AZ must be a close second. Our wonderful DOT used to use almost pea size gravel cinders on the highways during snow storms. That stopped but I think it was more to do with streams getting clogged. They have removed more hundreds of tons of gravel and sand from the streams along side Vail Pass.

A Lucid service tech said that the Lucid windshield and roof is sourced from a Belgium (or Luxemburg?) firm that makes tanks and armored vehicles. He said Lucid did not find the Tesla glass supplier to be strong enough. But, glass strength vs resistance to chipping are different things. Audi owners have for years debated OEM German vs Level 3 US replacement windshields - like Pilkington. Most everyone finds that while German OEM glass can be slightly better fit and finish - a tad clearer, it is also noticeably softer than Level 3 high grade US replacements - more frequent replacements. YMMV

Actually, Pilkington and Safelite have told me that Colorado has the honor of the number one state for windshield replacement. AZ must be a close second. Our wonderful DOT used to use almost pea size gravel cinders on the highways during snow storms. That stopped but I think it was more to do with streams getting clogged. They have removed more hundreds of tons of gravel and sand from the streams along side Vail Pass.

A Lucid service tech said that the Lucid windshield and roof is sourced from a Belgium (or Luxemburg?) firm that makes tanks and armored vehicles. He said Lucid did not find the Tesla glass supplier to be strong enough. But, glass strength vs resistance to chipping are different things. Audi owners have for years debated OEM German vs Level 3 US replacement windshields - like Pilkington. Most everyone finds that while German OEM glass can be slightly better fit and finish - a tad clearer, it is also noticeably softer than Level 3 high grade US replacements - more frequent replacements. YMMV
Apple went with a German supplier for their giant curved glass panels at the “spaceship” headquarters. Can’t imagine what transpiring those looked like.

So I'll start this post off by saying that I am cursed when it comes to windshields. Having had my Jeep for about 2.5 years, I have had to replace my windshield no fewer than 7 times (and the newest one is currently cracked). While I thought that this bad luck was related to the Jeep windshield design, I have also had 2 windshield replacements on the Lucid in the 4.5 months I've owned it (more on those in the second). As a result, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expert on windshield cracks. This morning while driving to Costco, I managed to get yet another crack in my Lucid windshield.

To bring us up to speed, I got the first crack on US 60 in Mesa while about 4 miles from dropping it off at the PPF place in May. I was surprised that what sounded like a small-to-medium-sized rock while going 60 mph would cause a crack, I chalked it up to bad luck. It was the type of crack that likely could have been repaired, but of course, Lucid doesn't offer repair, only replacement. And as @MoniputerLM pointed out, having someone else try to repair it has not yielded good results. Additionally, the crack looked different than any I had seen before on my Jeep or Truck. For such a small projectile, the crack seemed to go farther into the glass than I've seen. Basically, it looked like it punched a hole in the top layer while the bottom layer (interior side) stayed in tact. After getting that replaced, all was well for about a month.

In June, I needed to have a little bit of PPF repair work done not long after I had had the windshield replaced. When I picked it up, there was a 2 foot linear crack above the driver's side and along the edge of the glass. It was entirely on the interior, so something related to the glass structure or install had caused the crack, and thankfully, Lucid agreed and replaced this at no charge.

With today's crack, I was driving down Happy Valley Rd (for those in PHX), and both I and the car in front of me slowed down to about 40 mph to cross a bit of sand that had washed over the road from the rain the day before. Before I crossed, I heard the tell-tale sound of a small rock hitting the windshield. It was a thunk that should have been deflected without harm. Instead, I immediately noticed another crack in front of the passenger seat. The spread is well under the size of dime, but certainly very noticeable. Again, this would be something that should easily be repaired in any other vehicle but no option for that here. More concerning is that it cracked the windshield in the first place. Additionally, once I parked and had the chance to look at it, again, this crack looked like it penetrated the top layer. Though a smaller hole, there was still one there.

Given all of this, I think the glass for windshields suck. I don't think they have the same strength as most other cars, and if accurate, this is a big problem given that there are no repair options and it costs $2500 to replace. On top of that, because I am cursed with windshields, if I need to get it replaced any time soon, it will have to be out of pocket as I can't file anymore claims for a while. I love the car. I've had almost no issues hardware or software wise, but Lucid, assuming you're reading this, I'm pissed. Please look into this! Maybe it's just my curse and everybody else is doing great, but man, it feels like I should be able to take a small pebble off a massively angled roof at 40 mph and not get a crack in my windshield!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or feels the same, but I'd love to hear from you.
I’m sorry to hear about your windshield troubles. I’m picking up my Air Touring this week, and I’ve had a few windshields replaced in my previous Teslas. I have zero financial interest in this product, but it helped reduce wIndshield damage once I found it: C-bond windshield strengthener. It’s made in Houston, which is where I bought it, but I think that the exclusive distributor is now an 18 wheeler store. (I guess that the big rigs get a lot of chips and cracks, since they are on the road so much). The website is Iowa80.com. On their page, search for cbond and scroll down to Cbond nanoshield. I will be treating my windshield with it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Quick question: you repeatedly use the term "crack". In my world of definitions (and we are all different) there is a distinction between a crack which is some kind of line and a chip which is a little hole. The latter is more repairable unless it is in the direct line of sight of the driver. I have had chips and had them repaired but a crack would likely require replacement. Here in Arizona, we do get lots of those.

Back