hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
We've been having a discussion about radar installation in the Lucid Air under the "Safety Recall" thread (my fault, I admit). So I thought we should start a thread specific to this topic.

I picked up our car today after a 7-day installation job. The car was returned in perfect condition near as I can tell -- no squeaks, rattles, panel misalignments -- despite significant portions of the front and rear ends and the under-dash panels having been removed.

There were a couple of questions raised under the other thread:

Q: How did the build quality of the Air compare to what the installer has observed in other cars on which he's worked?

A: The build quality and engineering approaches appeared to be on par with other premium brands on which he's worked. The only exception was an unusually widespread use in the Air of Velcro for plastic panel and cover attachments in places other manufacturers would have used clips. He could not divine any reason why other than perhaps easier and speedier assembly, but he did have questions about the durability of such an approach.

Q: Why not a Stinger system instead of the Radenso?

A: The installer uses both systems. He prefers the Stinger system for certain exotics with highly-contoured and smooth fascias, as its fiber optic sensors require only 3-mm holes (one set of 3 holes in each side of the fascia). However, these sensors are not as effective in detecting signals as the bulkier AL Pilot sensors used by Radenso, plus he thinks the Radenso filtering algorithms are the best on the market.

Now, here are some photos of the installation:

Front Laser Sensors:

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.00.41 PM.png

Rear Laser Sensors:
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.02.08 PM.png

Front Radar Detector (rear detector is mounted behind the bumper cover):

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.03.48 PM.png

Does this void the warranty in any way?

Does this void the warranty in any way?

I've never heard of an automaker voiding a warranty due to a radar detector installation. My installer got telephone assistance from the Lucid Riviera Beach Service Center, and I discussed this installation with Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service. No one mentioned any impact on warranty. In fact, the Service Center offered to waive the fee for recalibrating the lidar unit which had to be temporarily unplugged for the installation.

I've never heard of an automaker voiding a warranty due to a radar detector installation. My installer got telephone assistance from the Lucid Riviera Beach Service Center, and I discussed this installation with Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service. No one mentioned any impact on warranty. In fact, the Service Center offered to waive the fee for recalibrating the lidar unit which had to be temporarily unplugged for the installation.
Good to hear. Very clean install

How often has the system, especially the laser, saved you from a ticket?

And will the system be able to evolve to match the new developments in lasers?

Finally, I assume that the laser detector doesn't interfere with LIDAR?

Actually, will the reverse be a problem? The LIDAR works by shooting a laser beam and looks at what comes back. But part of what comes back may interfere with the laser detector that was just installed?

I've been told that police laser guns and automotive lidar sensors operate at different wavelengths and do not interfere with each other.

We've been having a discussion about radar installation in the Lucid Air under the "Safety Recall" thread (my fault, I admit). So I thought we should start a thread specific to this topic.

I picked up our car today after a 7-day installation job. The car was returned in perfect condition near as I can tell -- no squeaks, rattles, panel misalignments -- despite significant portions of the front and rear ends and the under-dash panels having been removed.

There were a couple of questions raised under the other thread:

Q: How did the build quality of the Air compare to what the installer has observed in other cars on which he's worked?

A: The build quality and engineering approaches appeared to be on par with other premium brands on which he's worked. The only exception was an unusually widespread use in the Air of Velcro for plastic panel and cover attachments in places other manufacturers would have used clips. He could not divine any reason why other than perhaps easier and speedier assembly, but he did have questions about the durability of such an approach.

Q: Why not a Stinger system instead of the Radenso?

A: The installer uses both systems. He prefers the Stinger system for certain exotics with highly-contoured and smooth fascias, as its fiber optic sensors require only 3-mm holes (one set of 3 holes in each side of the fascia). However, these sensors are not as effective in detecting signals as the bulkier AL Pilot sensors used by Radenso, plus he thinks the Radenso filtering algorithms are the best on the market.

Now, here are some photos of the installation:

Front Laser Sensors:

View attachment 963

Rear Laser Sensors:
View attachment 964

Front Radar Detector (rear detector is mounted behind the bumper cover):

View attachment 965

Are you sure that’s the radar detector in the front? That looks, to me, like the TX piece of the ALP/Radenso laser: https://www.alpriorityusa.com/TX-Laser-Sensors.html

Given that radar passes through plastic, I’d be *really* surprised if it isn’t behind your front bumper.

I think you're right. I probably misunderstood what the installer told me.

I, uh, *may* have called your installer yesterday to ask for some info haha, so I got some pics and details - otherwise I wouldn’t have known either.

*super* clean job btw. I’m seeing if I can get some of that linen fabric from Lucid to see if I can upholster the console

One other question: is there a reason to get rear radar? Since front radar will trigger either way, does it matter if you know which direction it’s coming from vs. just slowing down every time?

I like getting directional information for two reasons. First, most of the last 10 miles to our house is a 6-lane road on which traffic routinely flows 10-15 mph above the speed limit. If I pick up a signal behind me and see it is not gaining strength for a prolonged period, I know the police officer is traveling with the traffic flow, and I can safely stay with that speed. If the officer is parked ahead of you, the signal can sometimes look stationary for a good while and then suddenly jump as you reach a certain point in the field, not always leaving you time to slow down.

Also, there is a Sheriff station less than a half mile from the turn off to our house. Our area is thus heavily trafficked with police cars running radar even though the officer might not be monitoring it closely. These cars turn onto and come off side roads constantly, and it's helpful to know their location in all directions, which is easier to determine with front and rear antennas.

How often has the system, especially the laser, saved you from a ticket?

I've only gotten two tickets in 20 years of using radar/laser detectors. One came from an officer in an unmarked car who tracked me using his speedometer. The other came from my not hearing the radar detector alert. (I was driving down the interstate with the top down in a V10 convertible and playing music loud enough to hear over the engine and wind roar.)

And will the system be able to evolve to match the new developments in lasers?

Radenso does frequent firmware and software updates. The installation price includes a quarterly visit to the installer for any available updates. The only risk might be a new speed detection technology that the sensors are not designed to read.

Nope. They operate at different wavelengths.

Very nice install stinger and ALP are the best. I have ALP in a few other cars.

Very nice install stinger and ALP are the best. I have ALP in a few other cars.

Do you have an opinion about them? I’m trying to decide between the two.

Stinger is more stealth but more expensive. ALP offers bluetooth updates and has an app. I am not sure head to head which is better. Its matter of choice of aesthetics. Cant go go wrong with either.

The only exception was an unusually widespread use in the Air of Velcro for plastic panel and cover attachments in places other manufacturers would have used clips.
Living in Arizona, I'm a bit concerned about the Velcro. Haven't come across one that can withstand the summer heat here. Hopefully, theirs is better than the commercial stuff.

Do you have an opinion about them? I’m trying to decide between the two.

I'm not versed enough in the technology to hazard an opinion. My installer said that Stinger laser sensitivity was about 85% that of ALP, but I don't know where he got that number.

He did tell me he got a call from someone on this forum, and I was guessing it was you. I hope he was of help. He seems to know what he's doing.

I'm not versed enough in the technology to hazard an opinion. My installer said that Stinger laser sensitivity was about 85% that of ALP, but I don't know where he got that number.

He did tell me he got a call from someone on this forum, and I was guessing it was you. I hope he was of help. He seems to know what he's doing.

I’m getting the Stinger. I just like the stealthier idea. Will let you know how it goes!

Back