Q3 production and deliveries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is not fully baked, but I get the sense that Lucid wants to focus on making a driver focused EV while using partners to fill the rest of the technology requirements. The problem is that its tech partners are behind when compared to current EV leaders. Think Nvidia vs Tesla ADAS, or EA vs Tesla supercharging.
If Mercedes is starting to roll out level 3 driving with the same technology, I don’t see that Lucid is too far away from significantly improving L2 driving if it is a priority. I don’t think the market really cares about L3 at this point, but some day it will.

https://www.automotivedive.com/news...d with NVIDIA,hardware to support Drive Pilot.

If Mercedes is starting to roll out level 3 driving with the same technology, I don’t see that Lucid is too far away from significantly improving L2 driving if it is a priority. I don’t think the market really cares about L3 at this point, but some day it will.

https://www.automotivedive.com/news/mercedes-benz-level-3-autonomous-driving-in-california/652727/#:~:text=Mercedes-Benz partnered with NVIDIA,hardware to support Drive Pilot.
I wasn't aware that Benz uses the same Nvidia ADAS suite. Ironically, I'm eating eggs for lunch.

It’s all about pricing. People
So luxury car sales 45k in 2019 and Lucid predicted 49k Air sedan production in 2023? Makes you think! What a big failure in assessing the market! Who did Lucid consult for marketing? Or did they just pull the number out of a hat! Looking at 2019 sakes, even I would not put out a 49k production number. And they can’t even sell 10k cars a year!

2019 seeing 2023? No one had crystal ball to see inflation and multiple interest rate hike. However management does need to respond quickly to adjust to market conditions. There were many delays in information relay, the optics is not good to outsider for competency. Delay in execution can also translate to financial waste and missed opportunities.

Tesla responded quickly to market conditions by adjusting prices with their overproduction clearance. I know Lucid probably faced many canceled Pure orders due to people just couldn’t wait on the unknown delivery time table. I know I was one of them for RWD Pure, so we didn’t get our 2nd Air, but Polestar2 last year instead. This year, market condition drastically changed, Polestar2 only worth 50% of purchase price not worth trade in for Pure trim.

So luxury car sales 45k in 2019 and Lucid predicted 49k Air sedan production in 2023? Makes you think! What a big failure in assessing the market! Who did Lucid consult for marketing? Or did they just pull the number out of a hat! Looking at 2019 sakes, even I would not put out a 49k production number. And they can’t even sell 10k cars a year!
The 45k is US sales only. I'm guessing Lucid was planning on global sales by 2023. The luxury car market in China is huge and Europe is probably on par with the US considering they prefer sedans over SUVs.

Was that number from Lucid sedans only or did it include some Gravity sales?

Also, every car maker from GM, Rivian, Tesla, Ford, etc has really over promised on EV deliveries. No one has come close to their promises from 24-48 months ago.

Did I miss something? I didn't think he said anything inappropriate? Sounds like he is just hoping that the CEO of the company updates strategy to make sure the company stays solvent?
No, but this is probably the 5th post in this thread alone with the same sentiment. It's not going to change anything and is not contributing to the discussion either.

Will Gravity be able to compete price wise with Lucid?
Do you mean compete with Rivian? I sure hope so because I think they will do very well competing at that price point. Rivian’s wait list for an R1S is measured in years. I waited several years for mine.

What?

Look at R1S sales and THEN tell me this. Mercedes is the outlier discounting by upwards of 20 percent because their cars are mediocre. And the gravity should have more range, power, space, and looks than the EQS...

Also, Lucid has a cash flow to survive for a good amount of time. Too many people expect Lucid to be Tesla. Sorry, we arent. Then, they would have started with a model y competitor.
Not expecting it to be the next Tesla, at least show some decent numbers. You need to show progress, irrespective of what other manufactureres numbers are. Peter said 49k production in 2023! They are struggling to make 10k. All I see is complacency. If Peter cannot pull a rabbit out of a bag at the earnings report, this company is toast!

Not expecting it to be the next Tesla, at least show some decent numbers. You need to show progress, irrespective of what other manufactureres numbers are. Peter said 49k production in 2023! They are struggling to make 10k. All I see is complacency. If Peter cannot pull a rabbit out of a bag at the earnings report, this company is toast!
So, why the projected 49k production would decrease to an actual number of 10k?

Is the factory not large enough? Does it need to set up some tents out in the parking lot to increase the capacity output?

Not enough workers? Do we need H-2 visas to bring assembly workers from outside of the US?

What?

Look at R1S sales and THEN tell me this. Mercedes is the outlier discounting by upwards of 20 percent because their cars are mediocre. And the gravity should have more range, power, space, and looks than the EQS...

Also, Lucid has a cash flow to survive for a good amount of time. Too many people expect Lucid to be Tesla. Sorry, we arent. Then, they would have started with a model y competitor.
I don’t think they are the outlier. BMW is doing the same as Mercedes with their IX. Any high dollar EV is getting to be a harder sell now. I think a lot of people that wanted higher dollar EV’s have gotten them and now it is convincing the rest of the public to convert, which will probably be unlikely with the cost of EV’s in this segment, high interest rates if taking a loan and also the charging horror stories most of the American public hears about.

I love Lucid and also Tesla, but I have been with high level execs at major corporations the last couple weeks and whenever I plug Lucid with them, they said they would not take a chance buying a Lucid, if they have even heard of Lucid. They think it is too high risk and if getting a high end EV it would be the Mercedes EQS SUV or maybe a BMW IX. Thought that was interesting feedback. I mentioned I was probably going to get a Lucid Air and they think I am crazy.

You know what's so great about this whole thread? I've been enjoying and loving my car for the past 2 years while everyone keeps predicting Lucid's inevitable doom.

What?

Here are the RI2 sales figures for 2023. I would not expect Lucid to sell many more than Rivian. Limited market of $100K+ cars/SUVs.

Rivian R1S U.S Sales Data & Charts​

US Monthly Sales​

YearJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec

I don’t think they are the outlier. BMW is doing the same as Mercedes with their IX. Any high dollar EV is getting to be a harder sell now. I think a lot of people that wanted higher dollar EV’s have gotten them and now it is convincing the rest of the public to convert, which will probably be unlikely with the cost of EV’s in this segment, high interest rates if taking a loan and also the charging horror stories most of the American public hears about.

I love Lucid and also Tesla, but I have been with high level execs at major corporations the last couple weeks and whenever I plug Lucid with them, they said they would not take a chance buying a Lucid, if they have even heard of Lucid. They think it is too high risk and if getting a high end EV it would be the Mercedes EQS SUV or maybe a BMW IX. Thought that was interesting feedback. I mentioned I was probably going to get a Lucid Air and they think I am crazy.
Well, lucid is offering 4.99% so I dont believe its the interest rates. Its a vicious circle- low sales, scares people about bankruptcy, leading to low sales. To break it you need to change something. In Lucid's case, I believe they need to bring out the smaller car now, not in 3 years. Or maybe a really cheap version of the Pure. I know some people feel Lucid is luxury, they shouldn't stoop that low etc...but look at the writing on the wall. Do you want the company to continue to burn cash and fail or would you rather have a pivot to volume and survive. Initially, Peter had the right approach. But when things got tough, he stuck with his masterplan. That, is a big mistake, unless miraculously a lot of AIr Pures get sold. I don't see that happening.

... I mentioned I was probably going to get a Lucid Air and they think I am crazy.
Sure, but it's a great crazy. Didn't expect to love mine, but I do, every time I drive it.

Here are the RI2 sales figures for 2023. I would not expect Lucid to sell many more than Rivian. Limited market of $100K+ cars/SUVs.

US Monthly Sales​

Dies that mean when I got my R1S in January this year, I was the first batch???

Well, lucid is offering 4.99% so I dont believe its the interest rates. Its a vicious circle- low sales, scares people about bankruptcy, leading to low sales. To break it you need to change something. In Lucid's case, I believe they need to bring out the smaller car now, not in 3 years. Or maybe a really cheap version of the Pure. I know some people feel Lucid is luxury, they shouldn't stoop that low etc...but look at the writing on the wall. Do you want the company to continue to burn cash and fail or would you rather have a pivot to volume and survive. Initially, Peter had the right approach. But when things got tough, he stuck with his masterplan. That, is a big mistake, unless miraculously a lot of AIr Pures get sold. I don't see that happening.

The smaller car is not ready now.

Lucid factories are not ready now.

Lucid distribution is not ready now.

Lucid service is not ready now.

Lucid brand awareness is not ready to move 500k plus units per year.

Trying to speed up the introduction of the smaller car will also require volume commitments from Lucid to suppliers. If volume isn't met you are in the same place as now with Air but on a much bigger scale.

"Now" is impossible. 18 months has so many hurdles it means almost certain failure.

The only viable path is to hope Gravity delivers the volume hoped for Air or more and Gravity serves as a cash bridge to the smaller Lucid.

US Monthly Sales​

I was more referring to the amount of reservations, but yes, that is true.

In Lucid's case, I believe they need to bring out the smaller car now, not in 3 years. Or maybe a really cheap version of the Pure.

“Prototype is easy, production is hard, 10,000% hard, and to have positive cash flow for a revolutionary new car model is even harder, that is why for 100+ years, no new automaker has yet make money to survive yet except Tesla.” ~Elon on Tesla 2023 Q3 Earning Call.

This thread is like beating a dead horse depending on which side argument you are on. See you next year when they publish Q4 results and we go through this same thing all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back