Pure Standard Equipment

Yes...if it is allowed to be so.
You seem convinced Lucid wants to make the RWD Pure the most awful car in history. Serious question: Why would any company do that?

And let's not get into "because they want to force people to buy the more expensive…" blah blah. Because that argument makes no sense to anyone who has ever run a business.

Lucid wants all their products to be as good as they can be in their respective categories at their respective price points. Having a crap car at the entry price point would be the dumbest thing they could do from a branding perspective (and a sales perspective).

The RWD Pure has the potential to net Lucid a rather large group of customers they otherwise simply can't reach at $100k+. No company can force people who don't have the money to spend more money they don't have. All they can do is offer something that they can afford that nonetheless still makes them feel great about buying it.

If the car is not appealing, the brand suffers to that entire group, which is several times larger than the entire audience of GT. Thus, the perception of a majority of the car-buying public becomes "Lucid's cars suck." Which in turn kills the allure of the brand to the higher-paying customers buying GTs.

Of course the GT, the Touring, etc. will always be a bit better. You get what you pay for. But the experience of driving a RWD Pure has to make you feel like you got most of what's great about those cars while spending a fraction of the price. So far, that's how the AWD Pure buyers here seem to feel.

Do you get the impression the executive team at Lucid is just a group of idiots who don't understand basic business practices?

You seem convinced Lucid wants to make the RWD Pure the most awful car in history. Serious question: Why would any company do that?

And let's not get into "because they want to force people to buy the more expensive…" blah blah. Because that argument makes no sense to anyone who has ever run a business.

Lucid wants all their products to be as good as they can be in their respective categories at their respective price points. Having a crap car at the entry price point would be the dumbest thing they could do from a branding perspective (and a sales perspective).

The RWD Pure has the potential to net Lucid a rather large group of customers they otherwise simply can't reach at $100k+. No company can force people who don't have the money to spend more money they don't have. All they can do is offer something that they can afford that nonetheless still makes them feel great about buying it.

If the car is not appealing, the brand suffers to that entire group, which is several times larger than the entire audience of GT. Thus, the perception of a majority of the car-buying public becomes "Lucid's cars suck." Which in turn kills the allure of the brand to the higher-paying customers buying GTs.

Of course the GT, the Touring, etc. will always be a bit better. You get what you pay for. But the experience of driving a RWD Pure has to make you feel like you got most of what's great about those cars while spending a fraction of the price. So far, that's how the AWD Pure buyers here seem to feel.

Do you get the impression the executive team at Lucid is just a group of idiots who don't understand basic business practices?
You have misrepresented me. I said that it was either too good or too bad. I am hoping for too good. Also, I do not think the car will not be appealing. We all have our requirements and desires and if they decontent it too much, it will not be appealing FOR ME. But that doesn't mean it is not an appealing vehicle.

1. please calm down.
Are you excited? I'm not. I am feeling quite the opposite really.

2. your assumption that lower horsepower gives higher range is completely faulty.
I am open to ANY evidence that contradicts my assumption that AWD reduces range. However, with almost every other EV that offers both RWD & AWD, the RWD version of that EV has greater range. I see no reason why the Lucid would be any different. Therefore the burden of proof is on you.
3. They will release the figures when they are ready to. Single motor Pures are still months away. Perhaps they are still tweaking them. Large publicly held companies don’t ballpark.
Yes, that is Lucid's prerogative to release, or not release any information. However, Lucid's sales require that they meet (or exceed) customer expectations. Some of their customers (more than me) are getting fed up with the lack of transparency.
4. You didn’t pay Lucid $300. It’s a refundable deposit.
Nope - When my deposit was acknowledged the email stated:
  • Non-Refundable Order Deposit: $300.00 USD
  • Order Date: August 12, 2022
The quote above is cut-and-pasted from that email.

I have HEARD that some people were able to get their Non-Refundable deposit back, but that it involves having a telephone conversation with a Lucid sales employee (or two). I have not seen anything in writing to back that up. I have even spoken with my Lucid SA about this in December 2022. He indicated that I could cancel my order by talking with him, but not that I would get the deposit back.

Right now, I know that I can buy a pure for a set price, and I have paid $300 for that option. Just like a stock option, I may choose to exercise it, or take a $300 loss and walk away. The more time that elapses, the more likely the latter option will be exercised.
5. Why would an all-new motor be a bad thing? I doubt this is actually happening, but if it were it would likely be better than its predecessor in some way, otherwise why bother?
Because I understood that ALL Lucid vehicles that were announced when I placed my order used the same motor. This was implied (if not stated) in Peter's video;

This holding tight to final specs isn't new for Lucid. 819 hp for GT was new info just before deliveries wasn't it? Touring final hp and range didn't get released until just before deliveries started. As consumers, we find that information vacuum infuriating but that's just how Lucid is handling it. Final specs for Pure awd, same story so you expecting Lucid to handle rwd differently is unrealistic. But I agree it would be good to have numbers early rather than late

Are you excited? I'm not. I am feeling quite the opposite really.
It just seems like your tone is rather aggressive. This is a forum that we try to keep our "tone" as friendly as possible. You seem to be angry at Lucid. Honestly, I would recommend you consider requesting your deposit back and getting a different vehicle to avoid your self-fulfilling prophecy that this car and its manufacturer sucks.
I am open to ANY evidence that contradicts my assumption that AWD reduces range. However, with almost every other EV that offers both RWD & AWD, the RWD version of that EV has greater range. I see no reason why the Lucid would be any different. Therefore the burden of proof is on you.
I don't feel compelled to prove anything to an Internet stranger. Your statement of "decreasing the horsepower will likely result in increased range (it's a physics thing)" grossly oversimplifies a very complicated equation that affects EV range. I do agree that AWD likely reduces range, but that was not your original statement. For example, my Jaguar EV is the same weight as Lucid, half the horsepower and gets 2.5m/kWh conspired to 3.1 with the Lucid.

All the best with your decision. I will say this: I find the Lucid to be a wonderful car, best I've ever owned. I have had luxury cars and sports cars from all of the major manufacturers and the Lucid beats them all. Yes, the software still has some growing to do. But the vehicle drives like none other.

You guys are moderators here?
There's that internet tone again. My friend, there are a lot of owners here who enjoy this forum. We do not tolerate personal attacks, especially on the volunteer moderators. Consider this a warning.

This holding tight to final specs isn't new for Lucid. 819 hp for GT was new info just before deliveries wasn't it? Touring final hp and range didn't get released until just before deliveries started. As consumers, we find that information vacuum infuriating but that's just how Lucid is handling it. Final specs for Pure awd, same story so you expecting Lucid to handle rwd differently is unrealistic. But I agree it would be good to have numbers early rather than late
Came here to say THIS ^^^
I haven't cancelled yet but I am about to. I was willing to wait for the car (RWD Pure) so long as I knew that it was something I wanted. Hence I wanted to know the specs. When November 15th came and went without any information, and the Genesis GV60 popped up, I went for it. It is now the middle of January and still nothing about specs.

I have a new theory: Either (a) the Pure is going to be so good that they don't want to announce it early to avoid folks cancelling orders for higher versions; or (b) it is so bad that folks will cancel and they will have to report that in their quarterly SEC filings. I can't think of any other reason that Lucid won't release specs on the RWD Pure.
We know. It sounds like you will be cancelling your second reservation as well. I hope not, because I really believe once you own an Air you will LOVE it!

It seems there's another large influx of people making "threats" to cancel their reservation for "Insert whatever reason they come up with here".....If you are on the fence of purchasing this car for ANY reason, you have to do what makes the most sense for you. Buying a LUXURY vehicle means a higher price, period. Buying the luxury vehicle from a new company also comes with its risks. Weigh it all out, then decide. It's a big decision, I get it. I made it. It just seems people are finding the silliest reasons to not do it, and to yell from the rooftops so everyone understands. You don't owe anyone on an owner's forum a reason why. I can't be the only one on here that gets tired of the back/forth.

Hey MODS, you're doing a great job, and I don't envy your position at all! The internet is such a crazy place, and keyboards are really easy to not transfer the correct tone.

To everyone still on the fence: Do what honestly is best for you, do your due diligence, and please listen to the current owners who say the car is AMAZING TO DRIVE. But in the end if you go a different route, everyone here wishes you the best and safe/fun driving with whatever you purchase. If you get something other than a Lucid, then you don't need this forum anymore.

No one should be here to push an agenda, including and especially making a negative post, or overdoing the comparisons just to stir up drama.

The people I find funny are the ones who said they didn't sign up to be a beta tester. You bought a brand new car from a brand new manufacturer. If you were expecting perfection from the outset, I have some oceanfront real estate in Arizona to sell you...

I haven't cancelled yet but I am about to. I was willing to wait for the car (RWD Pure) so long as I knew that it was something I wanted. Hence I wanted to know the specs. When November 15th came and went without any information, and the Genesis GV60 popped up, I went for it. It is now the middle of January and still nothing about specs.

I have a new theory: Either (a) the Pure is going to be so good that they don't want to announce it early to avoid folks cancelling orders for higher versions; or (b) it is so bad that folks will cancel and they will have to report that in their quarterly SEC filings. I can't think of any other reason that Lucid won't release specs on the RWD Pure.
Aren't you getting hip replacement surgery? I'm surprised you still have a reservation given your condition. It can't be easy getting in and out of a low sedan like the Air. I would think that GV60 or similar vehicle is much better suited for the next couple of years or more.

Most of us are on this forum because we are either owners or seriously interested and waiting or we are asking questions and sharing experiences. Can you please tell us what your motivation was in joining this forum? As an Owner of Pure who also drove a GT I am absolutely certain that the base pure will be way better than the best car I own other then Lucid pure AWD DDPro SSPro. That is a 300hp Lexus ls RWD 0 to 60 in about 5 sec and very quiet. Who cares about a horsepower number?

Aren't you getting hip replacement surgery? I'm surprised you still have a reservation given your condition. It can't be easy getting in and out of a low sedan like the Air. I would think that GV60 or similar vehicle is much better suited for the next couple of years or more.
You are absolutely correct. My surgery was originally scheduled for last week so by the time I got the Lucid RWD Pure I figured I would be recovered. But my surgeon fractured his thumb so my surgery is off until February 28th.

The GV60 is like a junior Lucid. Smaller with lots of HP, Torque and Luxury. Biggest problem is handling...a raised hatchback (small SUV) just doesn't handle like a well tuned sedan. But the makeup is the ease of sitting (the height of the driver's seat is perfect for me and the car has easy entry/easy exit to make it even easier), Nappa upholstery, etc.

But the delay is probably the final straw leading me to cancel. That and the fact that Lucid still has not told me what the specs will be for the RWD Pure.

Once I cancel I will likely drop off this board unless folks tell me to do otherwise.

You have an excellent memory.

Why do people think that mods can't express their opinion like everyone else? Their responsibility is to maintain this site, step in when necessary. Outside of that, they are just regular users on the site free to express themselves like all members. This isn't like a presidential debate where the mods are supposedly unbiased and not supposed to inject their opinions.

Why do people think that mods can't express their opinion like everyone else? Their responsibility is to maintain this site, step in when necessary. Outside of that, they are just regular users on the site free to express themselves like all members. This isn't like a presidential debate where the mods are supposedly unbiased and not supposed to inject their opinions.
Yup. 💯. We do our best to stay neutral whenever possible, especially when it comes to the act of actually moderating, but until someone decides to contribute to my income I make no promises about having no personal opinions. :)

You are absolutely correct. My surgery was originally scheduled for last week so by the time I got the Lucid RWD Pure I figured I would be recovered. But my surgeon fractured his thumb so my surgery is off until February 28th.

The GV60 is like a junior Lucid. Smaller with lots of HP, Torque and Luxury. Biggest problem is handling...a raised hatchback (small SUV) just doesn't handle like a well tuned sedan. But the makeup is the ease of sitting (the height of the driver's seat is perfect for me and the car has easy entry/easy exit to make it even easier), Nappa upholstery, etc.

But the delay is probably the final straw leading me to cancel. That and the fact that Lucid still has not told me what the specs will be for the RWD Pure.

Once I cancel I will likely drop off this board unless folks tell me to do otherwise.

You have an excellent memory.
Haha, please keep hanging out if you want! We just like to poke fun at you and the GV60 in “every” comment :)

I hope you take it in jest, as that’s how I believe it’s meant - just good, old fashioned “ribbing” :)

You and I may disagree on other things, of course, like whether Lucid is being disingenuous about the Pure or anything else, but the GV60 stuff is certainly just in jest.

That said, it may be boring for you if you aren’t getting a Lucid too.

I will be test-driving a Tesla Model Y long-range this Friday. I have a Pure RWD on order but with the lack of information on range and timeline and considering the drop in price on the Model Y, I have to consider getting a Tesla.

I will be test-driving a Tesla Model Y long-range this Friday. I have a Pure RWD on order but with the lack of information on range and timeline and considering the drop in price on the Model Y, I have to consider getting a Tesla.
I’m driving a rented one now and it is no comparison, heh - I’ve also had tons of annoying problems with it. That said, everyone has different opinions, and the price is definitely lower. Let us know how it goes!

I’m driving a rented one now and it is no comparison, heh - I’ve also had tons of annoying problems with it. That said, everyone has different opinions, and the price is definitely lower. Let us know how it goes!
Aside from Elon I do not understand the model Y vs. Lucid. They are simply not in the same ball park, maybe not even in the same city. The model Y is essentially a stripped box that forces you to use a touchscreen for everything and to look to your right to see how fast you are going, etc. And that doesn't even mention fit and finish and cabin materials.

Taycan: yes. Audi GT: yes. BMW IX: yes. Genesis GV60: yes. MB EQS: yes. These cars all have their own quirks and differences but IMHO they at least play in the same ball park. One could maybe make a case for including the Tesla Model S or X.

If I were comparing the Y I would look at the Mach-e, the Volvo C40, the EV-6, the Ionic-5.

Steve, I could make a strong case for including the i4. There, I said it. ;)
I thought about it. I just didn't see the I4 meeting the luxury levels of the other cars mentioned here. I had a BMW with Dakota leather and if it came down to it, I would take Sensatec before Dakota. My next BMW had Nappa which I loved. But IMO the I4 does belong in the second group in my post. I think it is not only a competitor to a Tesla Model 3 but I think it blows it out of the water.

Back