Production Sequencing

CLTGT

Verified Owner
Cars
73 Mustang Conv & the GT
OK, I am putting this in a separate thread in hopes that someone at Lucid might see it and have a few more answers or be willing to give their DAs more information to disseminate. I was also hoping for my DA to respond by now to my request, but that has not happened.

We are all making assumptions based on trends we see that they are color batching as a primary driver of production scheduling. Order date only impacted confirmation date and confirmation date is secondary to color when it comes to what Lucid appears to be producing. This has resulted in customers that ordered months (and maybe years) before others not receiving their VINs in favor of those that might have happened to order a favored color. For example, there are customers who ordered in the Summer/Fall and gotten confirmation dates in December getting VINs (hence delivery) before some customers that ordered over a year ago and confirmed in November. This is happening without regard to the assumed Santa Cruz interior issues as it appears to be a case for grey and silver customers, even those who did not order the lighter interior.

Further, nobody is really telling those that have ordered grey and/or silver when they might receive their VINs (and hence, delivery). Most, if not all, were told delivery would be in 2-4 months. Well, those who confirmed red, white and black in December (and a few from November) may have made that window. That window might even be made for those grey and silver customers who confirmed in December (doubtful, but possible). Those who ordered earlier (with the exception of the Santa Cruz interior) and confirmed in November are or will definitely be outside that window with absolutely no reset or update on their expectations. Lucid has missed the timeframe and the only guidance they will give, if they give any, is nebulous.

I guess some of us assumed that they would be producing by confirmation batch as why else would they issue confirmation batches as such. There are also instances where, on more than one occasion, a customer changed their color at confirmation and was told that color would not impact timing. This has turned out to be downright wrong. The more disappointing thing is that nobody at Lucid will communicate what is actually happening. There certainly should be a production schedule of some sort that shows what colors for what confirmation batches are going to be produced in what order. Are we going to start seeing not only November and December batches, but also January and February batches of red, white or black before they start grey or silver? If so, when does that mean grey or silver should start?

I have heard Lucid personnel sometimes read these comments and I am hoping they do in this case as well.

Last edited:
Mods, can we sticky this for Lucid? Thanks!

OK, I am putting this in a separate thread in hopes that someone at Lucid might see it and have a few more answers or be willing to give their DAs more information to disseminate. I was also hoping for my DA to respond by now to my request, but that has not happened.

We are all making assumptions based on trends we see that they are color batching as a primary driver of production scheduling. Order date only impacted confirmation date and confirmation date is secondary to color when it comes to what Lucid appears to be producing. This has resulted in customers that ordered months (and maybe years) before others not receiving their VINs in favor of those that might have happened to order a favored color. For example, there are customers who ordered in the Summer/Fall and gotten confirmation dates in December getting VINs (hence delivery) before some customers that ordered over a year ago and confirmed in November. This is happening without regard to the assumed Santa Cruz interior issues as it appears to be a case for grey and silver customers, even those who did not order the lighter interior.

Further, nobody is really telling those that have ordered grey and/or silver when they might receive their VINs (and hence, delivery). Most, if not all, were told delivery would be in 2-4 months. Well, those who confirmed red, white and black in December (and a few from November) may have made that window. That window might even be made for those grey and silver customers who confirmed in December (doubtful, but possible). Those who ordered earlier (with the exception of the Santa Cruz interior) and confirmed in November are or will definitely be outside that window with absolutely no reset or update on their expectations. Lucid has missed the timeframe and the only guidance they will give, if they give any, is nebulous.

I guess some of us assumed that they would be producing by confirmation batch as why else would they issue confirmation batches as such. There are also instances where, on more than one occasion, a customer changed their color at confirmation and was told that color would not impact timing. This has turned out to be downright wrong. The more disappointing thing is that nobody at Lucid will communicate what is actually happening. There certainly should be a production schedule of some sort that shows what colors for what confirmation batches are going to be produced in what order. Are we going to start seeing not only November and December batches, but also January and February batches of red, white or black before they start grey or silver? If so, when does that mean grey or silver should start?

I have heard Lucid personnel sometimes read these comments and I am hoping they do in this case as well. This is what I last emailed to me DA -
well stated. That is what I have surmised. I think everyone is just looking for guidance and information

Yes, well said. I just copied your post to my DA. I've been asking, politely. about whether the 20" wheels - and now the Santa Cruz interior with the white carpet - have the potential to delay production. I get that there are many factors affecting our orders, but if it is unknown how long a delay might be I'd like the option to choose different wheels or interior.

The 20" wheels for sure. They stated that would at least push it back to Q2 this year from what I remember
Yes, well said. I just copied your post to my DA. I've been asking, politely. about whether the 20" wheels - and now the Santa Cruz interior with the white carpet - have the potential to delay production. I get that there are many factors affecting our orders, but if it is unknown how long a delay might be I'd like the option to choose different wheels or interior.

Thanks for looking at this. Like you I can’t get a straight answer from Lucid. Maybe the best way to get their attention is to talk to your stock broker who follows Lucid & make him aware. If the the stock has an impact because of disgruntled buyers they might start communicating.

I honestly think I will either get asked politely to take my business elsewhere or they will just continue staying silent or replying with "word salad" as @Sandvinsd characterized their responses. I also would not be shocked to see them "reassign" me to another DA, thinking that might pacify me, but if they do that without communicating better (however that is defined), they have not understood the issue.

I honestly think I will either get asked politely to take my business elsewhere or they will just continue staying silent or replying with "word salad" as @Sandvinsd characterized their responses. I also would not be shocked to see them "reassign" me to another DA, thinking that might pacify me, but if they do that without communicating better (however that is defined), they have not understood the issue.
They will just move your order to the end of the Pure production! LOL

I asked about changing exterior or interior colors and was told not to because it would cause a delay. My DA also didn't like me suggesting White/Black/Red without Santa Cruz interior taking priority at the moment. I have a feeling they are getting hit with a lot of complaints and questions. Doesn't sound like we are going to get any official response or change in the current process.

I wonder if they will be producing grey by then.

He didn't like you making the suggestion? Why not, can he not read the Tracker. Just because you "don't like something" doesn't make it less true. I think it might be more likely that they know it's true and are taking heat for a decision made by management. They are allowing us to control the narrative and have all the ability in the world to change that narrative, unless they can't.

The complaints/questions are all of their making, whether they like them or not. I do not expect them to change anything, too late for that, but maybe some better customer guidance or anything more than "hopefully soon". What does "hopefully soon" even mean? I still haven't heard anything from my DA since my last email earlier this week.

I asked about changing exterior or interior colors and was told not to because it would cause a delay. My DA also didn't like me suggesting White/Black/Red without Santa Cruz interior taking priority at the moment. I have a feeling they are getting hit with a lot of complaints and questions. Doesn't sound like we are going to get any official response or change in the current process.
Why would they be sensitive to that question, unless it hit a nerve? It is really ok to do color batching. I have assumed that since the Dream productions, but we would just like clarity on it. Just communicate as to where people are in the queue, and the process, and they will have fewer questions generated. In a vacuum of communication, people will fill the void with their own deductions.

Hard to pretend like Santa Cruz isn't causing delays when there have been 0 VINs assignment for people with Santa Cruz interiors and 2019 reservation dates.

Yep, something along the lines of "we expect to shift to grey and silver by xx/xx/xxxx". If that date is still March, great. If it is April, not happy as that means the 2-4 months was more like six months, minimum. If that date is May or June, I might just forget the whole Lucid adventure and when friends/relatives/colleagues ask how I like my Lucid (they all know I ordered and they all know when I was told to expect delivery), they will get to hear my experience.

I really wish they would give an indication though as I have taken time out of my vacation next week to test drive the car and I would rather not waste that time if Lucid is going to delay that long.

Poor business tactic in my opinion but they are probably being vague on answers in a attempt to stall folks from canceling orders and hoping customers will stick around until they are restocked with the paint colors and carpet they do not have now.

I should clarify that my DA was very nice. It's just when it came to the question about Santa Cruz and Grey vehicles not getting VIN numbers, he quickly jumped to what felt like a Corporate line they are being told to communicate. Essential said he hasn't been made aware of any sort of delay for Santa Cruz or priority to other colors. It was the first time he referred to me as Mr. "My Last Name" instead of calling me by my first name only. I was also given the same line of "hoping to have an update soon" that I've been given for a couple of months now.

I don't blame the DA's at all. They are clearly in a sh*tty position dealing with unhappy reservation holders and being told nothing new, or asked to keep everything vague. It seems fairly simple for Lucid to simply be straight forward with us about the current situation and provide realistic timelines for delivery. I would rather be told my car is going to be delivered in June versus keep telling me that I should have an update soon that never happens.

The 20" wheels for sure. They stated that would at least push it back to Q2 this year from what I remember
The 20" wheel delay could be due to tire availability as well. Michelin has just started rolling out the Pilot Sport EV line in the USA.

Well, they shouldn't have to restock grey or silver since they have not produced those colors yet. Maybe they had the paint and lost it...:)

I should clarify that my DA was very nice. It's just when it came to the question about Santa Cruz and Grey vehicles not getting VIN numbers, he quickly jumped to what felt like a Corporate line they are being told to communicate. Essential said he hasn't been made aware of any sort of delay for Santa Cruz or priority to other colors. It was the first time he referred to me as Mr. "My Last Name" instead of calling me by my first name only. I was also given the same line of "hoping to have an update soon" that I've been given for a couple of months now.

I don't blame the DA's at all. They are clearly in a sh*tty position dealing with unhappy reservation holders and being told nothing new, or asked to keep everything vague. It seems fairly simple for Lucid to simply be straight forward with us about the current situation and provide realistic timelines for delivery. I would rather be told my car is going to be delivered in June versus keep telling me that I should have an update soon that never happens.
I don’t think this is going to be resolved discussing it on a forum. Might be time to cancel and go in another direction.

I don't think one should ever hope to resolve issues like these over a forum. It helps though to know others think/feel the same way and that one is not alone in their thoughts/opinions. Venting can be cathartic.

I already had NEMA 14-50 outlets installed in both my garages so I do have some investment in this already.

Back