Problems, glitches, issues and observations etc

That's a bummer to hear about Alexa. Our Polestar has the Google Auto system in it and it's nearly perfect from a voice recognition and functionality standpoint. Honestly one of the best implementation of "Big Tech" in a car that I've seen.

Hopefully when they release Apple CarPlay that will at least give us the option of using Siri instead. Although it means using Apple Navigation which probably won't be helpful when estimating the percent remaining at a destination for example.
We test drove a Polestar and actually really liked it. The major reason we didn't consider it was a cheaper alternative (read: non-luxury) was because it has basically zero ADAS. If they put in some systems, it would also be a real contender for the mid-market.

We test drove a Polestar and actually really liked it. The major reason we didn't consider it was a cheaper alternative (read: non-luxury) was because it has basically zero ADAS. If they put in some systems, it would also be a real contender for the mid-market.

Well, sounds like Lucid has no ADAS at the moment either and is double the price :D

I took it as a non-parochial endorsement of the utility of EVs. With not all Dream Editions yet delivered, I can't imagine it would sit well with many customers to see Airs used as service vehicles at this time.
I assume techs have left by now. Have you taken the Air out for a test drive yet?

I assume techs have left by now. Have you taken the Air out for a test drive yet?

The tech was here for 5 hours. He went through a series of checks ordained by the HQ IT team, including draining and recharging the cooling system for the main computer. running software diagnostics, etc. He said he never got any indication of what the problem was.

We just got back from a ~20 mile test drive. Everything went fine except, of course, for Alexa. I didn't try to get it to do anything until we were in an area where we were getting full signal strength on our Verizon and Google cell phones, just to be sure lack of a cell signal wasn't an issue. Every time I asked Alexa to play music, it responded, "something is wrong". I then asked Alexa to place a phone call, and it responded, "something is wrong". I then said, "Hey Siri, call __________", and the call went right through and played over the car's audio, showing the phone was connected to the car. However, when we asked Alexa to program a nav route, it did so. Finally, as we turned around to head home about 10 miles out, Alexa suddenly started playing the music we had asked for miles earlier. At no point during the drive did the LTE signal strength meter come up on the car's Glass Cockpit display, although we must have been getting some signal because the nav system was working -- and eventually the music. The WiFi signal strength meter was displaying for a while after we got out of the house's range and then came back as we approached the house.

Either this car is very bad at picking up LTE signals that our mobile phones are easily picking up, or Alexa is a total mess. Going forward, if I really need to make a phone call from the car, I'm just going straight to Siri without hassling with trying to get Alexa to respond. However, without Alexa, I cannot manually key in a music search in Tidal, as no search menu will come up on the screen in the car.

But at least we haven't had any screen freezes or blackouts for the past couple of days.

The tech was here for 5 hours. He went through a series of checks ordained by the HQ IT team, including draining and recharging the cooling system for the main computer. running software diagnostics, etc. He said he never got any indication of what the problem was.

We just got back from a ~20 mile test drive. Everything went fine except, of course, for Alexa. I didn't try to get it to do anything until we were in an area where we were getting full signal strength on our Verizon and Google cell phones, just to be sure lack of a cell signal wasn't an issue. Every time I asked Alexa to play music, it responded, "something is wrong". I then asked Alexa to place a phone call, and it responded, "something is wrong". I then said, "Hey Siri, call __________", and the call went right through and played over the car's audio, showing the phone was connected to the car. However, when we asked Alexa to program a nav route, it did so. Finally, as we turned around to head home about 10 miles out, Alexa suddenly started playing the music we had asked for miles earlier. At no point during the drive did the LTE signal strength meter come up on the car's Glass Cockpit display, although we must have been getting some signal because the nav system was working -- and eventually the music. The WiFi signal strength meter was displaying for a while after we got out of the house's range and then came back as we approached the house.

Either this car is very bad at picking up LTE signals that our mobile phones are easily picking up, or Alexa is a total mess.

But at least we haven't had any screen freezes or blackouts for the past couple of days.
I take that as a very good sign. Hope it holds up. Alexa is an annoyance. Some of that other stuff you were going through was borderline unsafe. And I’m betting it’s something related to cell signal capture.

Margaret Burgraff is VP of Software Validation at Lucid Motors. She is responsible for assuring quality for all software inside the vehicles as part of the overall software development for Lucid Air.

Most recently, Margaret served as a Partner at Continuous Ventures, a global Venture Capital and Private Equity firm that primarily supports tech startups. She has spent 25 years at world-renowned organizations, including six years at Intel Corporation and 15 at Apple. At Intel, Margaret joined as a Director before holding multiple Vice President roles overseeing different facets of quality management. At Apple she launched the first iMac and served as Senior Quality Manager for Apple Macintosh engineering products.

Margaret holds a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Economics from University College Cork. An internationally known speaker, Margaret has spoken to global audiences on topics such as A.I., big data, and female empowerment.

I am assuming that it is her team that is under the gun at Lucid for this rocky roll-out of the software. Interestingly she spent 15 years at Apple as a quality manager. IMHO, this software rollout is definitely not Apple-like.

I walked up to my car, just cell phone in pocket, car noticed me and warmed up inside, but door wouldn't unlock. Tried the app as well and it wouldnt unlock. Had to go get the FOB

Either this car is very bad at picking up LTE signals that our mobile phones are easily picking up, or Alexa is a total mess. Going forward, if I really need to make a phone call from the car, I'm just going straight to Siri without hassling with trying to get Alexa to respond. However, without Alexa, I cannot manually key in a music search in Tidal, as no search menu will come up on the screen in the car.

I might have missed it, but what cellular provider do you have and what is the car using? One car I had used AT&T while I was using Verizon for our phones. There was often a distinct difference in cell quality & strength, with AT&T being the worse of the two.

I walked up to my car, just cell phone in pocket, car noticed me and warmed up inside, but door wouldn't unlock. Tried the app as well and it wouldnt unlock. Had to go get the FOB
Did you try pushing the driver's door handle? Push it in and hold it in - or push it in, then push again.

Either this car is very bad at picking up LTE signals
You keep mentioning LTE. I thought the car has 5G? I was told it had 5G from my Sales Advisor and I'm sure I saw a 5G symbol on some of the online pictures. My car has no LTE or 5G symbol just strength bars.

Margaret Burgraff is VP of Software Validation at Lucid Motors. She is responsible for assuring quality for all software inside the vehicles as part of the overall software development for Lucid Air.

Most recently, Margaret served as a Partner at Continuous Ventures, a global Venture Capital and Private Equity firm that primarily supports tech startups. She has spent 25 years at world-renowned organizations, including six years at Intel Corporation and 15 at Apple. At Intel, Margaret joined as a Director before holding multiple Vice President roles overseeing different facets of quality management. At Apple she launched the first iMac and served as Senior Quality Manager for Apple Macintosh engineering products.

Margaret holds a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Economics from University College Cork. An internationally known speaker, Margaret has spoken to global audiences on topics such as A.I., big data, and female empowerment.

I am assuming that it is her team that is under the gun at Lucid for this rocky roll-out of the software. Interestingly she spent 15 years at Apple as a quality manager. IMHO, this software rollout is definitely not Apple-like.
Top managers often are necessary but rarely sufficient for seamless development and integration of complex systems. Lucid clearly has the 'Big Dogs.' But, it's the line designers, programmers, and test protocol operatives that bake the cake.

I suspect most of us are, respectfully, past the hype. All I want is a vehicle with software functions that work more than don't.

Reactions: FFT
Did you push the handle?

Did you push the handle?
when i was at the local showroom, i inadvertently pushed the handle and it got stuck there :D even their salesperson couldn't 'pull' it back out. he said it was pre-production version yada yada.

when i was at the local showroom, i inadvertently pushed the handle and it got stuck there :D even their salesperson couldn't 'pull' it back out. he said it was pre-production version yada yada.
It gets stuck if there is no key around. But otherwise, it should lock or unlock the car.

It gets stuck if there is no key around. But otherwise, it should lock or unlock the car.
So what counts as a key? The card? The Fob? The App on the cell phone? All of the above separately or together?

Just the fob or phone.

Back