Physics question

Rocketsurgeon

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid air gt,RR sport
First time ev owner/driver. Recently accepted delivery on cosmos silver gt with 21’s and Mohave.
i understand that the high regen setting captures more recharging to the batteries; but if I am on standard regen and perform a “one pedal stop”, haven’t I recaptured the same amount of energy. Am I missing some other form of braking that is independent of the motor/generator?

First time ev owner/driver. Recently accepted delivery on cosmos silver gt with 21’s and Mohave.
i understand that the high regen setting captures more recharging to the batteries; but if I am on standard regen and perform a “one pedal stop”, haven’t I recaptured the same amount of energy. Am I missing some other form of braking that is independent of the motor/generator?
You are not missing anything. If you are able to stop with one pedal driving in low regen then you are recapturing all of the energy from the car as it slows. However, I think that you will find in many cases you cannot stop fast enough without using the brake when in low regen. In this case, you will be losing that energy as heat to the brake rotors. This is why many people here like the high regen mode. I certainly do.

Most people don't use the ow setting because it's harder to guesstimate distance in stopping

Lucid has one of more aggressive regen than other brands’ EV. Once you use it, you will appreciate the beauty of 1-pedal.

It's hard to describe regenerative braking until you drive it for 20-30 miles. You learn to trust it... You realize it will not fail...
My "dad" who is a motorhead engineer and has been driving for 55+ years drove my Lucid to his house for me the other day when I picked up from storage. This is what he told me:
"It took me a few miles to get used to the brakes, but when I tried driving my car after, I thought it was broken"
That was his way of saying, "man I really loved it"
So, beyond physics, it FEELS right after you get used to it.

Lucid has one of more aggressive regen than other brands’ EV. Once you use it, you will appreciate the beauty of 1-pedal.
Yes, way more than the BMWs. The Air being my first EV I started on Low, but moved to high after just a couple days and haven’t looked back.

I suppose city driving with regen is why that provides better range than the freeway.

Back