Just test-drove the Air Pure RWD

Vette2Lucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I've read the media's takes on the Air Pure RWD but never saw anyone tell in detail how the experience differed going from one Air model to another. I test-drove the GT a little over a year ago, then I bought the Touring and have put 8000 miles on it, and now I've driven a Pure RWD, once again with my friend Cory at the Scottsdale studio (thank you, Cory!).

Humorous start: this was a base Pure, and Cory and I both got a good laugh after he pointed out that we both didn't properly close our doors. Honestly, the regular doors don't require a strong pull or push, they close quite pleasantly. We're just so used to the soft-close doors. :)

The biggest difference between the Pure RWD and any other Air made itself known within the first minute of driving. The Pure is REALLY quiet! One might expect it to be quieter given the lack of the front motor that generates much of the "business jet whine" sound heard in AWD Airs, but wow. If anyone is turned off by that sound, they really need to drive the Pure. I like the sound but if I had driven this Pure first, I probably would have bought it. It's that good.

The next biggest difference was also discovered quickly thereafter: the regen. Most folks know that cars have more powerful brakes in front... well, in an EV, take away the front motor and you can guess what happens to the regen. I made sure to have the regen set to high as I'm used to that, but the difference driving around town was significant. For better, the reduction in regen and power meant it was easier to get just the level of power or braking you want-- this would be an easier car for a first-time EV driver to drive. For worse, even though I'm used to dipping into regen very early, I still found myself going for the brake near the end of most stops as the extra regen I'm used to dipping into near the end of each stop just wasn't there. I'm not sure that's a drawback, it's just not what I'm used to.

Of course, there's the power. I vividly remember what it was like experiencing over 800hp in my GT drive, it was so quick my brain couldn't keep up with it. 620hp in my Touring is still absolutely breathtaking. The Pure's 430hp exactly matches my old Vette and the level of acceleration is quite similar, just without the audio drama. Wait-- any audio drama? It just goes, quite quickly by anyone else's standard. AWD Airs have audio cues that you just squashed the go-pedal. Not here. Hardly what I would call disappointing acceleration, though. If serenity is more your thing, the Pure is flawless at keeping you and your passengers happy.

I was hoping to get a sense of more steering feedback due to the lighter, less complex front end, but I honestly couldn't tell that the steering felt any different, and I'm pretty sensitive to that. This was on 19s, just as I have on my Touring. Maybe 20s would bring out a difference, but I would expect it to be subtle.

Finally, returning to the parking garage, I discovered what it's like to not have at least Dream Drive Premium-- I pressed the bottom of the screen to get my surround view, only to be greeted by a black screen. The only indication of how many inches you are away from the wall in front of you is the beeping you hear.

Materials in the base model include coarser, dark woven fabrics that don't seem as inviting to touch as what I'm used to in my Santa Cruz interior-- but now you have the option to get that, and the soft-close doors, or even the massaging seats that I don't have, on a Pure. I honestly think, especially now with the latest Lucid pricing scheme, the Pure is quite a deal for what you get.

Lucid Motors, thank you for a job well done-- again. If only more people knew what a bar-resetting car this is!

Love my GT, but more isn't always better. Sometimes simplicity is beauty.

I believe somebody had a draggy time under three seconds for the GT.

Now I'm also curious to go test drive the RWD. I always thought it would be quieter with less regen actually (why I initially wanted to wait for a RWD actually) but I'm quite happy with my AWD Pure when all said and done. I still think I'm going to go test drive a RWD though just to see how it compares in drive and feel back-to-back now that I've lived with my Pure 7 months and just about 7300 miles

Back