hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
The Lucid host at the Geneva Auto Show said the Air Pure RWD has 16 battery modules, making it the lightest vehicle in the line-up. I thought there were only three battery packs in current Lucids: two with 22 modules (118 and 112 kWh) and one with 18 modules (92 kWh)?

The comment is at 3:03 in this video:

P. S. Interesting that neither of the Airs on display at the show have the glass canopy.

No, the Pure RWD has an 88 kWh battery pack. The main reason why the range of the RWD is about the same as the AWD.

So removing two of the modules reduces the pack capacity by only 4 kWh -- or am I wrong that the 18-module pack is 92 kWh?

The 22-module 112-kWh pack has ~5.09 kWh per module. At the same capacity per module, the 18-module pack would have about 92 kWh, which is the figure I've seen given. This would put the 16-kWh pack at just over 81 kWh . . . unless something else is going on.

P. S. Interesting that neither of the Airs on display at the show have the glass canopy.

Ignore this comment. I missed it on the first pass, but there was a Grand Touring with the glass canopy also at the show.

So removing two of the modules reduces the pack capacity by only 4 kWh -- or am I wrong that the 18-module pack is 92 kWh?

The 22-module 112-kWh pack has ~5.09 kWh per module. At the same capacity per module, the 18-module pack would have about 92 kWh, which is the figure I've seen given. This would put the 16-kWh pack at just over 81 kWh . . . unless something else is going on.
It is confirmed that it has 88 kwh, but the battery modules lay unexplained still. Maybe there is a changed buffer? Or the 92 KWH is only usable capacity?

It is confirmed that it has 88 kwh, but the battery modules lay unexplained still. Maybe there is a changed buffer? Or the 92 KWH is only usable capacity?

It was be odd to cite only usable capacity for one pack but full capacity for another pack. I know the 118-kWh pack has less buffer than the 112-kWh pack, but they're giving usable capacity for both. If they did change the buffer, I wonder if that means the cells are different in the 16-module pack? (The buffers are different between the 112- and 118-kWh packs because, although they use the same number of cells, the cells are from different manufacturers, with the Samsung cells in the 118-kWh pack more resistant to damage from full charging.) And/or, if they did change the cells, do the new cells have higher energy density?

In some of the Gravity videos, they have suggested a pack capacity around 120 kWh still using the 22 modules. I wonder if whatever changes are coming to the Gravity pack are already in production in the Pure RWD?

Back