Perhaps Lucid can learn from the Rivian R1S: Great review

imran

Cars
Lucid air GT
Great review of the just released R1S and the reviewers are saying the software worked flawlessly. Maybe Lucid should outsource their tech to Rivian...

Great review of the just released R1S and the reviewers are saying the software worked flawlessly. Maybe Lucid should outsource their tech to Rivian...

I have an R1S on order and am an IPO holder. One or two people’s positive review doesn’t negate the documented avalanche of problems they are having. The only thing Rivian is the poster child of is how not to roll out a new EV. They have taught Lucid a lot.

Last edited:
I don’t have a Rivian.

But I think the first post is correct from what I’ve read.

Consumer Reports absolutely loves them.

“A new from-the-ground-up, potentially segment-changing vehicle like the R1T would be noteworthy from any automaker. But that this is startup-EV automaker Rivian’s first-ever production vehicle, and that it’s this well sorted, right out of the gate, is worthy of a standing ovation.”

Disclosure: I also have a Rivian reservation. But just for fun bc everyone seems to want one. I don’t go off-roading. Ever.

I test drove an R1T at their Venice Hub about a week ago. Obviously 40 minutes behind the wheel isn’t long to really judge but they have done an excellent job. The interface is well laid and out and logical. It’s also super snappy even though they have a lot of map to render on that big screen and it zooms and pans flawlessly.

My only gripe was the terrible sound the turn signals made when they were on. Otherwise they have done an excellent job of cramming more than one type of vehicle into that truck. In sport mode it feels like a car but it’s capable of hardcore off-road. The interior fit and finish was excellent as well.

My takeaway was that they killed it and I’m looking forward to getting my R1S.

Last edited:
Maybe Lucid should outsource their tech to Rivian...

Rivian buys its motors from Bosch and its battery packs from another supplier. Other than software and some cool off-roading features, they actually don't have much tech to sell anyone, much less to Lucid, which has broken new ground with powertrain efficiency and compactness.

(I have had a reservation for an R1S since February 2019 and am still waiting even to get a call from my "Rivian Guide" from whom I was told I would hear before last Thanksgiving. I'm not hostile to the brand; I'm just not impressed with their ability to deliver a vehicle.)

I have a reservation for both, tbh, the R1S probably has more utility for me but the Lucid efficiency is amazing. There is actually a benefit on the side of off the shelf parts, I fully trust that the Bosch motor is robust and will be serviceable for an extended period. We won't really know about Lucid's motor until it starts aging and getting used.
The battery may be different since Lucid's batteries have been getting used in Formula E and have seen some hard miles.

In the end, I'm just loving that there are options and is serious competition for my $

Rivian 70mph range test

There is actually a benefit on the side of off the shelf parts, I fully trust that the Bosch motor is robust and will be serviceable for an extended period. We won't really know about Lucid's motor until it starts aging and getting used . . . .

In the end, I'm just loving that there are options and is serious competition for my $

I agree, and my post was not meant as a slam against Bosch motors. I was simply pointing out in response to another post that, unlike Lucid, Rivian has not broken much new ground with technology. Rivian has instead focused on an amazingly creative assemblage of features that will span a huge variety of use cases for its vehicles.

I, too, am loving the emergence of real variety and competition in the EV space. That's why we own a Tesla, a Lucid, and will soon add a Rivian to the stable. The "fanboy" mentality that can develop around a specific brand strikes me as just as moronic as the Chevy / Ford figurative duels-to-the-death of yesteryear.

Last edited:
If I was running Rivian, my first EV would have been the R1S. Driving the R1T now for a month I do believe the R1S is going to be one of the best all electric SUVs that money can buy. BTW ..There is nothing wrong for a start up to go with third party Motors and electronics. It nails down the up front cost of all the major components. Also, as a start up, It's a lot easier to just pick up the phone and tell a supplier his motor is licking oil than to try and figure out why your design is not working as intended.

It nails down the up front cost of all the major components. Also, as a start up, It's a lot easier to just pick up the phone and tell a supplier his motor is licking oil than to try and figure out why your design is not working as intended.

Word is that Rivian is now rushing work on an in-house motor as their loss of control of component pricing is driving up costs faster than they can countenance. Again, I have no beef with Rivian's outsourcing their motors, given their business model.

At the same time, I'm glad that Lucid chose the different path of trying to push the efficiency envelope by developing new motors with amazing volumetric and weight power density. There's room in the market for various approaches. Rivian's approach allowed them to apply resources to and focus on a very innovative feature set for rough-duty use, and Lucid's approach allowed them to break new ground in power, efficiency, and interior space.

Maybe Lucid could sell Rivian motors….

I'm not sure that would work without a major overhaul of the Rivian chassis layout, as the Lucid motor is designed with a split rotor that sends torque in two directions through planetary gear sets on both ends of the motor. Rivian uses dual motors on each axle, with the half shaft of the left motor sending power to the right wheel, and the right motor half shaft sending power to the left wheel. However, Rivian is working on a two-motor vehicle that might work more easily with the Lucid motor if Rivian designed the layout for it from the get-go. That could be a win-win for both companies.

What I really wish is that Honda would drop its minivan body on a Lucid platform.

I'm not sure that would work without a major overhaul of the Rivian chassis layout, as the Lucid motor is designed with a split rotor that sends torque in two directions through planetary gear sets on both ends of the motor. Rivian uses dual motors on each axle, with the half shaft of the left motor sending power to the right wheel, and the right motor half shaft sending power to the left wheel. However, Rivian is working on a two-motor vehicle that might work more easily with the Lucid motor if Rivian designed the layout for it from the get-go. That could be a win-win for both companies.

What I really wish is that Honda would drop its minivan body on a Lucid platform.
Oh no...that would be too dangerous...I can just imagine my Odyssey with the acceleration of the Air...ooh

Word is that Rivian is now rushing work on an in-house motor as their loss of control of component pricing is driving up costs faster than they can countenance. Again, I have no beef with Rivian's outsourcing their motors, given their business model.

At the same time, I'm glad that Lucid chose the different path of trying to push the efficiency envelope by developing new motors with amazing volumetric and weight power density. There's room in the market for various approaches. Rivian's approach allowed them to apply resources to and focus on a very innovative feature set for rough-duty use, and Lucid's approach allowed them to break new ground in power, efficiency, and interior space.
Agree ..There are advantages and disadvantages going to third parties. Not having to develop everything in house is how they manage to have the first crack at the truck market but did expose themselves to supplier rate increases. Would not be surprised their 18% price increase originated with their suppliers. Looking at the R1T, I don't see how Rivian can build it for $73k. My apologies .. I don't mean to turn this forum into a Rivian discussion group but there are not that many around and I thought it may be of interest to our members from an EV point of view.

If I was running Rivian, my first EV would have been the R1S. Driving the R1T now for a month I do believe the R1S is going to be one of the best all electric SUVs that money can buy. BTW ..There is nothing wrong for a start up to go with third party Motors and electronics. It nails down the up front cost of all the major components. Also, as a start up, It's a lot easier to just pick up the phone and tell a supplier his motor is licking oil than to try and figure out why your design is not working as intended.
When is R1S coming out? I’ve seen someone post on Instagram, not sure just preproduction or just marketing promo.

If they have Odyssey in EV, we will get in heart beat. I told my wife Honda is commited to go mostly EV by 2030. She said then we won’t need Odyssey anymore as kids would already be out of college by then in 2030.

Looking at the R1T, I don't see how Rivian can build it for $73k.

A former finance executive at Rivian is suing the company for a hostile work environment (if I remember correctly). In her filings, she claims that Lucid knew well before its IPO that it would lose money on every vehicle it sold at the reservation prices, but that they failed to disclose that in the SEC filings for the IPO. Sandy Munro has commented that the R1T looks more like a $95K vehicle than what he paid for it.

In light of the $15-20K price increases over the early reservation prices, I think it's become clear that Rivian is going to lose a lot of money on their first production runs.

If they have Odyssey in EV, we will get in heart beat. I told my wife Honda is commited to go mostly EV by 2030. She said then we won’t need Odyssey anymore as kids would already be out of college by then in 2030.

As much as I love our Lucid Air and like our Tesla Model S Plaid and as addicted I now am to electric powertrains, if I could own only one vehicle it would be the Odyssey. While some 7-passenger EVs are finally hitting the market, they just don't yet have the range we would need for long road trips with a load of people and luggage, which is the primary reason we keep an Odyssey.

I hate to break this to your wife, but long after the kids are gone the aches, creaks, and groans of old age make the Odyssey attractive all over again. When we're road tripping with other retiree couples, things such as the sliding rear doors, low step-in height, and upright seating position are balm to our various infirmities.

An Odyssey body on a Lucid platform would be just what the doctor ordered . . . almost literally.

When is R1S coming out?

Wish I knew. There are a couple of recent video reviews, but they were of pre-production vehicles.

We've had a reservation since February 2019 for a vehicle that was supposed to be delivered in fall of 2020. In fall of 2021 I was sent an email saying my "Rivian guide" (equivalent to a Lucid Delivery Advisor) would contact me by Thanksgiving for final order configuration. That contact never came, and I received an email at the start of this year saying I could expect delivery in May/June. That's obviously not going to happen, either. I've sent two email inquiries to Rivian and never received a response.

Back