Perhaps Lucid can learn from the Rivian R1S: Great review

As much as I love our Lucid Air and like our Tesla Model S Plaid and as addicted I now am to electric powertrains, if I could own only one vehicle it would be the Odyssey. While some 7-passenger EVs are finally hitting the market, they just don't yet have the range we would need for long road trips with a load of people and luggage, which is the primary reason we keep an Odyssey.

I hate to break this to your wife, but long after the kids are gone the aches, creaks, and groans of old age make the Odyssey attractive all over again. When we're road tripping with other retiree couples, things such as the sliding rear doors, low step-in height, and upright seating position are balm to our various infirmities.

An Odyssey body on a Lucid platform would be just what the doctor ordered . . . almost literally.
ID BUZZ here you come!

Wish I knew. There are a couple of recent video reviews, but they were of pre-production vehicles.

We've had a reservation since February 2019 for a vehicle that was supposed to be delivered in fall of 2020. In fall of 2021 I was sent an email saying my "Rivian guide" (equivalent to a Lucid Delivery Advisor) would contact me by Thanksgiving for final order configuration. That contact never came, and I received an email at the start of this year saying I could expect delivery in May/June. That's obviously not going to happen, either. I've sent two email inquiries to Rivian and never received a response.
3+ years still waiting?
Is that $1k reservation refundable in case you change your mind?

A former finance executive at Rivian is suing the company for a hostile work environment (if I remember correctly). In her filings, she claims that Lucid knew well before its IPO that it would lose money on every vehicle it sold at the reservation prices, but that they failed to disclose that in the SEC filings for the IPO. Sandy Munro has commented that the R1T looks more like a $95K vehicle than what he paid for it.

In light of the $15-20K price increases over the early reservation prices, I think it's become clear that Rivian is going to lose a lot of money on their first production runs.
I totally concur, the R1T/R1S in the 4 motor configuration is worth more than the original pre-orders were offered it for.

The language in the pre-order paperwork stated that price wasn’t locked in. But when they went to jack the price on the pre-order people there was a mutiny.

3+ years still waiting?
Is that $1k reservation refundable in case you change your mind?
They are telling me H12023 in Canada. Seems some people are getting their R1Ts way ahead of the pre-order holders. Sounds like they are blending their sales between new reservations and pre-order holders to not take a bath on profitability this year.

Missing 3rd row seat. 😞
I thought I read somewhere the US version will have the 3rd row? Or do I have that backwards,and only the EU market gets that?

Can you post a link or thread confirming this? I don’t think it’s true.

Everything I’ve read says it’s an option.
I only watched few YouTube of prototype. I didn’t see it as option in prototype review. They may have option for that. It will be silly not to utilize that big extra space in the back.

Last edited:
Can you post a link or thread confirming this? I don’t think it’s true.

Everything I’ve read says it’s an option.
No it’s definitely there.

… and it’s good! Beats the Model X handsomely.

No it’s definitely there.

… and it’s good! Beats the Model X handsomely.
I cannot wait for Gravity cabin review…

I only watched few YouTube of prototype. I didn’t see it as option in prototype review. They may have option for that. It will be silly not to utilize that big extra space in the back.

The original plan was that the R1S would premiere with the 180-kWh battery pack and no third row seating option, with the 135-kWh pack with a third row seat to come later. (The speculation was that the larger battery pack did not leave room to fold down a third-row seat.) Then Rivian announced there would be a third-row option for the 180-kWh pack. Then things changed again, and the current state of things is that the R1S Launch Edition will be available only with the 135-kWh pack and a third-row seat.

P.S. I just noticed this discussion originated in regard to the VW ID.Buzz. Sorry for the confusion, but I decided to leave this up, anyway, if anyone is interested about the ups-and-downs of Rivian product planning (especially given the flak Lucid got for the late-stage splitting of the Dream into two versions).

I totally concur, the R1T/R1S in the 4 motor configuration is worth more than the original pre-orders were offered it for.

The language in the pre-order paperwork stated that price wasn’t locked in. But when they went to jack the price on the pre-order people there was a mutiny.

I was an early reservation holder for both the Rivian R1S and the Lucid Air, planning to take whichever vehicle came out first. Since it was looking that the Rivian would hit the market first, we traded our 2015 Tesla Model S for a Model S Plaid in August 2021. But then, to my surprise, the Air beat Rivian to market, leaving us with two EV sedans. At that point, I decided to keep our Honda Odyssey until I saw what Lucid does with the Gravity SUV.

I was thinking of canceling my Rivian reservation when they announced a $14,000 price increase for the vehicle I had configured. That announcement convinced me to cancel, as I was also seeing some R1T reviews that suggested the second row seat of the R1S might not be as roomy as I had assumed, thus not making the R1S a good road trip replacement for our Odyssey -- and Rivian's plans to offer a test drive tour in Florida seemed to evaporate. But when Rivian reversed course on reservation pricing in the face of the mutiny, I decided to keep my R1S reservation. I'll get the Rivian and, if its second and third rows are not good replacements for the commodious Odyssey cabin, I'll probably be able to flip it for a profit, given I could sell it for less than a new buyer would have to pay.

Last edited:
As much as I love our Lucid Air and like our Tesla Model S Plaid and as addicted I now am to electric powertrains, if I could own only one vehicle it would be the Odyssey. While some 7-passenger EVs are finally hitting the market, they just don't yet have the range we would need for long road trips with a load of people and luggage, which is the primary reason we keep an Odyssey.

I hate to break this to your wife, but long after the kids are gone the aches, creaks, and groans of old age make the Odyssey attractive all over again. When we're road tripping with other retiree couples, things such as the sliding rear doors, low step-in height, and upright seating position are balm to our various infirmities.

An Odyssey body on a Lucid platform would be just what the doctor ordered . . . almost literally.

I am sure that your wife has figured this out. Like the restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally.

• Haha
Reactions: DJL
Sorry to dig up a zombie thread, but Lucid learning from Rivian is like The Vegan Society learning from Jeffrey Dahmer.

This month is my 1 1/2 year anniversary of my previously scheduled delivery month for my R1S order. They moved it to 2023, but after today’s announcement I would be surprised if I receive it before 2024 if I want the actual features I ordered.

Sometimes it’s fun to visit the twisted panty brigade (Rivian forums) just to put our problems in perspective. In case I haven’t said it in a while. I love you Lucid!, warts and all! 😂

Sorry to dig up a zombie thread, but Lucid learning from Rivian is like The Vegan Society learning from Jeffrey Dahmer.

This month is my 1 1/2 year anniversary of my previously scheduled delivery month for my R1S order. They moved it to 2023, but after today’s announcement I would be surprised if I receive it before 2024 if I want the actual features I ordered.

Sometimes it’s fun to visit the twisted panty brigade (Rivian forums) just to put our problems in perspective. In case I haven’t said it in a while. I love you Lucid!, warts and all! 😂

I hear you. I reserved an R1S in February 2019 and have had it configured on their ordering site for months. One teased delivery date after another has come and gone and, based on this morning's blast email from Rivian, it's clear I won't be getting it any time soon.

In fact, I'm now thinking there's a chance that the Lucid Gravity will become available as a replacement for our Honda Odyssey before I see that Rivian.

In fact, I'm now thinking there's a chance that the Lucid Gravity will become available as a replacement for our Honda Odyssey before I see that Rivian.
I’m thinking the same thing, but price will be a large factor for me after buying the GT. I feel like the “OG” Rivian pricing is amazing value if they live up to their promise of not increasing prices on pre-March 2022 orders.

There is a lot of virtue to wait for a car since 2019… 😴

There is a lot of virtue to wait for a car since 2019… 😴

Well, I reserved the Air in September 2018 and waited until the last day of 2021 to get it. I have a couple of friends on waiting lists to get other EVs. There are bad times for anxious EV purchasers . . . unless you want a white Tesla, perhaps.

At age 70, waiting three-plus years for cars is starting to feel ridiculous. I'm hoping that by the next round of car buying in our household, there will be enough choices of readily-available and appealing EVs that I can try a couple more out before that last short ride in the hearse.

Well, I reserved the Air in September 2018 and waited until the last day of 2021 to get it. I have a couple of friends on waiting lists to get other EVs. There are bad times for anxious EV purchasers . . . unless you want a white Tesla, perhaps.

At age 70, waiting three-plus years for cars is starting to feel ridiculous. I'm hoping that by the next round of car buying in our household, there will be enough choices of readily-available and appealing EVs that I can try a couple more out before that last short ride in the hearse.
I hear you, I’m a few years away from only buying ripe bananas. 😂

It seems Lucid has the build quality down but it's costing them dearly with the slow ramp up compared to Rivian. Rivian seems to have the software in a much better state than Lucid. You can see the 2 paths these companies took

Rivian - Outsource motor, battery, etc. and focus on in house software
Lucid - vertically integrate, focus on engineering, internal motor, battery etc. and leave software to last

Back