Pay Attention Warning and Keep Hands on Wheel when in Highway Assist

kasblga

Cars
Air Grand Touring
DE Number
Despite the Distracted Driver and Drowsy Driver warnings being turned off, we keep getting warnings to PAY ATTENTION and KEEP HANDS ON WHEEL when in Highway Assist mode but not when in Adaptive Cruise mode. Any known fix for this?

Despite the Distracted Driver and Drowsy Driver warnings being turned off, we keep getting warnings to PAY ATTENTION and KEEP HANDS ON WHEEL when in Highway Assist mode but not when in Adaptive Cruise mode. Any known fix for this?
the fix is to realize that ASSIST is the operative word.
the car is still not capable of hands free driving. so you will continue to see the warnings and they cannot be turned off when in the assist modes

the fix is to realize that ASSIST is the operative word.
the car is still not capable of hands free driving. so you will continue to see the warnings and they cannot be turned off when in the assist modes
But on many highway runs the road is straight so one gets the message even though one is "driving" the vehicle. Alas, I believe all cars do this today one way or another (haptic touch sensor, camera, etc.) so the annoyance is not unique to Lucid. One of those things that we must learn to live with.

Its the industry standard and also a liability issue. Even with highway assist enabled you must be ready to take over at any time. Any indications that you're not (eyes off the road, hands not on wheel) will trigger the warnings.

I personally don’t find the lucid implementation to be all that annoying. A light nudge of the wheel is enough to turn it off 🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s no more annoying than other brands but I do wish they went with a capacitive touch wheel over relying on torque.

It’s no more annoying than other brands but I do wish they went with a capacitive touch wheel over relying on torque.
Considering this was/is a major complaint with Tesla and the fact that Peter came from Tesla, I'm surprised that they didn't implement capacitive out the door. Rivian uses capacitive and it is much easier to use than having to put a constant slight pressure on the wheel or having to give it a "little tug"

the original tesla AP and the system in the Lucid are capable of hands free like driving but because of the morons who abused it, see the vids of fools in tesla pretending they were sleeping and like idiocy like that coupled with people who just didn't pay attention and allowed the cars to crash into other cars and objects the systems had to be neutered, hence the constant nags.
I had a tesla with AP 1 and could drive dozens of miles without any nags, my last model 3 would nag almost every 30 seconds.
responsible people cannot have a better system because of the irresponsible

I had a tesla with AP 1 and could drive dozens of miles without any nags, my last model 3 would nag almost every 30 seconds.
I would be happy with 30 seconds. Ours nag at 15 seconds, which isn’t even enough time to crack a beer and down a Double Double.

Just keep at least one hand on the wheel is the fix—and the sensible safe way to drive.

Unfortunately, one hand on the wheel is not adequate for my car. It is one hand with the exact amount of torque required to let the system know yet not disable assist. Not pleasant to do for long periods of time.

Unfortunately, one hand on the wheel is not adequate for my car. It is one hand with the exact amount of torque required to let the system know yet not disable assist. Not pleasant to do for long periods of time.
There are a few methods to it not being an issue; I use one hand at 9 o clock with my elbow on the windowsill. Others use one hand at 3 o clock with their elbow on the center armrest.

Either works fine

when I drove a model 3 I was able to use my knee to nudge the steering wheel.
the constant nags made it a poor experience

when I drove a model 3 I was able to use my knee to nudge the steering wheel.
the constant nags made it a poor experience
Sorry but that's not okay. Don't take your hands off the wheel for 15 seconds. I want to live. Driving with your knees should not be enabled. We can talk about a capacitive touch sensor vs torque sensor or whatever else, but your hand(s) must be on the wheel and your eyes must be on the road.

There are a few methods to it not being an issue; I use one hand at 9 o clock with my elbow on the windowsill. Others use one hand at 3 o clock with their elbow on the center armrest.

Either works fine
I just drove 1900 miles from Co to VA using Highway Assist with my left hand on the wheel at 9 o'clock and my elbow resting on the door armrest for most of the time with no problem. Of course, the right hand at 3:00 makes the longer segments easier to take. Yes, in narrow lanes with 18-wheelers a few feet away two hands on the wheel is prudent. HA does seek the center of thel ane at times, which is a bit disconcerting, so holding the wheel is sensible. My tolerance for error with HA is small, especially at 75 mph or more.

Sorry but that's not okay. Don't take your hands off the wheel for 15 seconds. I want to live. Driving with your knees should not be enabled. We can talk about a capacitive touch sensor vs torque sensor or whatever else, but your hand(s) must be on the wheel and your eyes must be on the road.
yawn. thanks for the advice, I have driven thousands of miles on AP, I've been driving cars with AP long before they were forced to retard it's functions.
I have a very good handle on how this new fangled tech works

Please tell me where you drive so I can avoid driving near you <3

Stay safe
should I get your knickers all knotted?
I draft 18 wheelers also, on days with strong headwinds you can save over 20% of your SOC doing it right.

should I get your knickers all knotted?
I draft 18 wheelers also, on days with strong headwinds you can save over 20% of your SOC doing it right.
Cool. 😎

Enjoy it, for as long as you can continue “doing it right.”

I tend to avoid meaningless energy savings or feeling “saucy with my knees” when the wrong move or sudden stop might mean the death of me, my passengers, or other people around me. Especially when, as a software engineer, I know just how generally unpredictable these systems are to date.

But you do you 🤷‍♂️

Back