Outdoor chargers

copper

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I'm going to be installing a charger on the side of my house as I don't have a garage that can take the Lucid. Currently I'm planning on using a Grizzl-E charger (with the optional locking mount). Since this is a no-frills charger I'll be relying on the car to do charging scheduling once that is in the software so I don't get hosed with peak hour electricity rates.

Anyone else in the same boat with an outdoor charger have experience with Grizzl-E or have other recommendations?

The Grizzl-E is an excellent charger and is reviewed here:

it is a 40 amp charger so can do 9.6 kW per hour. That should be enough for day to day charging at super off-peak times. It would be one that I would consider if I need a second charger. It can definitely be an outdoor charger

I have a ChargePoint Flex which I really like. It can do up to 50amps if needed (hardwired for that output) which can do up to 12 kW per hour. It can also be used outdoors, although we have it installed in our garage. I really like the details on the app which provide scheduling and charging info - both historical and in real time for cost and kWs delivered. If you are needing it to lock to prevent others from using, the Grizzl-E might be the better unit. The only thing preventing me from buying a second one is the fact that you can only attached 1 charger to the app.

I have a ChargePoint Flex which I really like. It can do up to 50amps if needed (hardwired for that output) which can do up to 12 kW per hour. It can also be used outdoors, although we have it installed in our garage. I really like the details on the app which provide scheduling and charging info - both historical and in real time for cost and kWs delivered. The only thing preventing me from buying a second one is the fact that you can only attached 1 charger to the app.
Thanks for the input on the ChargePoint. My concern for having a smart charger outdoors is security - are there no external USB ports or other connections on it?

There are no external ports or other connections on the ChargePoint Flex. The J1772 plug attaches to the unit after use and there is not a locking mechanism for it like the Grizzl-E has. Although one could probably attach a locking cable to the cord to prevent someone else from charging. However, if it is just the presence of other USB or other connectors, there are none and it is secure.

There are no external ports or other connections on the ChargePoint Flex. The J1772 plug attaches to the unit after use and there is not a locking mechanism for it like the Grizzl-E has. Although one could probably attach a locking cable to the cord to prevent someone else from charging. However, if it is just the presence of other USB or other connectors, there are none and it is secure.
Great to know - thank you.

Try Enel-X. I have been happy with mine. Or Clipper Creek.

I'm going to be installing a charger on the side of my house as I don't have a garage that can take the Lucid. Currently I'm planning on using a Grizzl-E charger (with the optional locking mount). Since this is a no-frills charger I'll be relying on the car to do charging scheduling once that is in the software so I don't get hosed with peak hour electricity rates.

Anyone else in the same boat with an outdoor charger have experience with Grizzl-E or have other recommendations?
Just so you know, right now you cannot schedule to charge through the car or app

Just so you know, right now you cannot schedule to charge through the car or app
Yep. I was told by my DA that it would be coming within the next few months and I'm ok without a smart charger until it lands.

So just had a hiccup with my ChargePoint last night. i have had it for 1-1/2 years and it has had two times that id did not charge FWIW. Otherwise it has been reliable. I unplugged and replugged to reset and it seems to be fine now. For our Leaf, we really do need to charge every night So any issues are bad. I look forward to the Lucid having the ability to charge other cars so if we needed to top off the leaf during Peak electricity time, we could without paying through the nose. Anyone know if there are car to car cables by Lucid?

My friend who bought a VW ID.4 installed the Grizzl-E in his garage, based on InsideEVs rating it the best non-smart EV charger on the market, particularly in regard to its physical robustness. He's been very pleased with it so far.

So just had a hiccup with my ChargePoint last night. i have had it for 1-1/2 years and it has had two times that id did not charge FWIW. Otherwise it has been reliable. I unplugged and replugged to reset and it seems to be fine now. For our Leaf, we really do need to charge every night So any issues are bad. I look forward to the Lucid having the ability to charge other cars so if we needed to top off the leaf during Peak electricity time, we could without paying through the nose. Anyone know if there are car to car cables by Lucid?
The only issue I've had with my ChargePoint is that a couple of times a year it seems to lose its wifi connection. A quick reboot solves the issue. However even during the loss of wifi, charging is possible.

The only issue I've had with my ChargePoint is that a couple of times a year it seems to lose its wifi connection. A quick reboot solves the issue. However even during the loss of wifi, charging is possible.
Yeah. It should still charge. However it turned red overnight while on a scheduled charge for midnight and when I checked this morning, nothing had dispensed. Second time it has happened. I reset and it works, but now the electricity rates are 4x the night ones. For the odd times this happens, would love to add some power from the Lucid instead of paying SDG&E who has the highest electricity rates in the country. Does anyone know about the car to car cable / unit?

Yeah. It should still charge. However it turned red overnight while on a scheduled charge for midnight and when I checked this morning, nothing had dispensed. Second time it has happened. I reset and it works, but now the electricity rates are 4x the night ones. For the odd times this happens, would love to add some power from the Lucid instead of paying SDG&E who has the highest electricity rates in the country. Does anyone know about the car to car cable / unit?
That'll likely be at least Q2 probably Q3 since stuff seems delayed. Probably lower on their list of stuff to get done...

Finish all the DreamDrive Pro features
CarPlay/Android Auto
Overhaul the UI
Overhaul the app
Get approval for home charge
V2G

Is all stuff I want to happen before they worry about C2C charging

Supposedly they were having issues with getting their wall charger completely approved. Which is why it was delayed to Q1, but I'm guessing later Q2 or Q3.

My friend who bought a VW ID.4 installed the Grizzl-E in his garage, based on InsideEVs rating it the best non-smart EV charger on the market, particularly in regard to its physical robustness. He's been very pleased with it so far.

The InsideEVs review initially sold me on it. We have the higher tier pricing from 5-9pm here but I can always just plug it in when I go to bed for now until scheduled charging is available.

Edit: I‘m definitely curious about the Grizzl-E smart one too.

Apparently the Grizzl-E smart connects directly to ChargeLab and their app very easily. [PDF]

Back