RESOLVED Retainer Latch Retention Pin won't reliably withdraw

Ry4an

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring 2023
There's a small black pin, retracted and circled in red on the photo below, that extends to hold the J1772 retainer latch down, so you can't raise the latch by pressing the button on the charger. With each of the original Lucid charger, my Grizzl-E, and a few public chargers I've found myself in a situation where I can't press the button and can't detach even after charging is done and the phone app says "Remove cable". Previously I've started charging again, then stopped charging, and after a few tries it actually would retract and I'd be able to unplug.

Today I figured out that pin that's supposed to retract isn't reliably doing so, but that I can push it back in with a Popsicle stick and then I can press the button, lift the latch, and remove the charger.

I'll contact service on Monday, but has anyone had this same fault before? I'm going to put just a smidge of white lithium grease on the pin in case it's just a friction issue -- clearly it's not entirely broken as it does retract one in three times.

PXL_20231216_224304259.MP~2.jpg

There's a small black pin, retracted and circled in red on the photo below, that extends to hold the J1772 retainer latch down, so you can't raise the latch by pressing the button on the charger. With each of the original Lucid charger, my Grizzl-E, and a few public chargers I've found myself in a situation where I can't press the button and can't detach even after charging is done and the phone app says "Remove cable". Previously I've started charging again, then stopped charging, and after a few tries it actually would retract and I'd be able to unplug.

Today I figured out that pin that's supposed to retract isn't reliably doing so, but that I can push it back in with a Popsicle stick and then I can press the button, lift the latch, and remove the charger.

I'll contact service on Monday, but has anyone had this same fault before? I'm going to put just a smidge of white lithium grease on the pin in case it's just a friction issue -- clearly it's not entirely broken as it does retract one in three times.

View attachment 17056

The car has to be unlocked in order to remove the cable. Is this happening when the car is unlocked?

Goddamit! After repeated testing I think @Adnillien is entirely right, and I was mistaking "door handles have lifted up invitingly" for "unlocked". The times when the door was actually open were probably right before the "stop charging"/"start charging" cycles that "worked". Thanks for saving me a service call, @Adnillien.

Back