Ordering and Delivery: Lucid Air Touring

After expressing my displeasure for a second instance of not receiving a call from my delivery advisor, I did get a call back from another advisor at the Scottsdale studio. He let me know that my car is built and awaiting transport from Casa Grande to Scottsdale. Despite it being so close, he still didn't provide any assurance it would be delivered this year. He mentioned how closely the Scottsdale delivery center will go over the car, and if they find issues, it would push out the delivery. I told him that while I understand and appreciate their thoroughness, there's $7,500 riding on the delivery, and unless there was something major, I'd be fine taking delivery with minor issues that could be addressed in 2023.

He did update the account with a link to make payment. I'll probably hold off a bit until I hear the delivery is imminent.

I have to say, the communication issues with the delivery folks has soured me a bit on the car. That, combined with the quick depreciation of the GTs, and the issues with the charging infrastructure, has me doing a review of my decision-making. I do have a Model S on order, scheduled for delivery in mid to late December. While buying a car is not a wise investment, I am struggling with the huge depreciation and now immediate availability of GTs, compared to the very low depreciation on Teslas and seemingly lower availability for their cars. The Touring doesn't seem like a popular model, and I'm expecting it to quickly lose value just like the GTs.

At the end of the day, I'll probably click on that payment button. Now that delivery/payment is more real, I just need to convince myself I'm making the right decision.
You are right in most of your concerns. However buying a luxury car with resale value in mind may not be a good idea. Tesla's resale value for now may be there because of its unique place as the first to the market, however as more and better EV's come on the road, I doubt that resale value will be there few years down the road.

You are right in most of your concerns. However buying a luxury car with resale value in mind may not be a good idea. Tesla's resale value for now may be there because of its unique place as the first to the market, however as more and better EV's come on the road, I doubt that resale value will be there few years down the road.
My investment in Lucid is purely for personal pleasure. In five years, the current Lucids will be considered prototypes IMO.

My investment in Lucid is purely for personal pleasure. In five years, the current Lucids will be considered prototypes IMO.
Agreed. I keep my cars for 8 to 10 years. This one will be no different. Which is another reason why I'm comfortable with the $100k+ price tag.

Agreed. I keep my cars for 8 to 10 years. This one will be no different. Which is another reason why I'm comfortable with the $100k+ price tag.
I'm pretty much the same. The car I am replacing (Acura TSX) is 16 years old. Drove that car into the ground. My other car is 10 years old. I'm in it for the long game.

I'm pretty much the same. The car I am replacing (Acura TSX) is 16 years old. Drove that car into the ground. My other car is 10 years old. I'm in it for the long game.
I haven't had a car note in about 7 years. Talk about jumping back in the game! 😂😂😂

After expressing my displeasure for a second instance of not receiving a call from my delivery advisor, I did get a call back from another advisor at the Scottsdale studio. He let me know that my car is built and awaiting transport from Casa Grande to Scottsdale. Despite it being so close, he still didn't provide any assurance it would be delivered this year. He mentioned how closely the Scottsdale delivery center will go over the car, and if they find issues, it would push out the delivery. I told him that while I understand and appreciate their thoroughness, there's $7,500 riding on the delivery, and unless there was something major, I'd be fine taking delivery with minor issues that could be addressed in 2023.

He did update the account with a link to make payment. I'll probably hold off a bit until I hear the delivery is imminent.

I have to say, the communication issues with the delivery folks has soured me a bit on the car. That, combined with the quick depreciation of the GTs, and the issues with the charging infrastructure, has me doing a review of my decision-making. I do have a Model S on order, scheduled for delivery in mid to late December. While buying a car is not a wise investment, I am struggling with the huge depreciation and now immediate availability of GTs, compared to the very low depreciation on Teslas and seemingly lower availability for their cars. The Touring doesn't seem like a popular model, and I'm expecting it to quickly lose value just like the GTs.

At the end of the day, I'll probably click on that payment button. Now that delivery/payment is more real, I just need to convince myself I'm making the right decision.
Even I am kind of concerned now. I am also looking forward for the tax credit. Also hearing about lot of issues with the car like shutdown, going forward while on reverse etc. What happens if we buy the car and some point later Lucid motors shuts down? How are we going to do maintenances and all? Sorry if these are dumb questions

Even I am kind of concerned now. I am also looking forward for the tax credit. Also hearing about lot of issues with the car like shutdown, going forward while on reverse etc. What happens if we buy the car and some point later Lucid motors shuts down? How are we going to do maintenances and all? Sorry if these are dumb questions
Not dumb questions at all. It's always a possibility with a company that has just started shipping cars. Lots of people have different ways of comforting themselves over this, but the fact of that matter is that it is possible. I don't personally think it likely Lucid will fail, but how could I be sure?

It will be like those dystopian movies where people salvage or wreck other cars for parts to fix theirs. This tracker list will be handy for finding Lucids to hunt for parts.

It will be like those dystopian movies where people salvage or wreck other cars for parts to fix theirs. This tracker list will be handy for finding Lucids to hunt for parts.

That totally made me laugh out loud! Some much needed levity.

Not dumb questions at all. It's always a possibility with a company that has just started shipping cars. Lots of people have different ways of comforting themselves over this, but the fact of that matter is that it is possible. I don't personally think it likely Lucid will fail, but how could I be sure?
Two things that attracted me to Lucid other than the thrilling test drive. Rawlinson for his street creds and Saudis for their money 💰 😆! Not a guarantee, but not a bad start either.

By all accounts Lucid is nicely engineered car. So they put the effort and skills to make a good car which is the basic requirement. Now they have to build a company to support that product and bring a product that is economical and attract more customers. If they can do that as the company matures, they will survive. If not they can be an attractive takeover target because of the product.

I was wondering about this as well. For instance, how did Fisker Karma owners get service or replacement parts in 2013 after they filed for bankruptcy and furloughed all of their workers?

Two things that attracted me to Lucid other than the thrilling test drive. Rawlinson for his street creds and Saudis for their money 💰 😆! Not a guarantee, but not a bad start either.
I can't lie, I think about my GT test drive often and I had mine in June. It took me a few days to process everything especially with it being my first time ever driving an EV. My Mom and Aunt were with me during the drive and were equally blown away by the experience. I need my car BAD! I'm Jonesin' over here!! 🤪🤪🤩🤩

I buy an extended warranty for my vehicles. When it expires, I buy another. Does anyone know if there is an extended warranty available for Lucids?

I buy an extended warranty for my vehicles. When it expires, I buy another. Does anyone know if there is an extended warranty available for Lucids?
Have you ever had to use the extended warranty? I was always under the impression that these were useless cash grabs by legacy automakers so I've never purchased one.

I am not a fan of extended warranties, however, in this case with the technology across the EV market being new I would get one regardless of manufacturer. This is coupled with the fact that I am buying the car - not leasing - and I tend to keep vehicles for at least 5+ years.

I am not a fan of extended warranties, however, in this case with the technology across the EV market being new I would get one regardless of manufacturer. This is coupled with the fact that I am buying the car - not leasing - and I tend to keep vehicles for at least 5+ years.
If we're considering extended warranty for EV tech then those parts are already covered (battery and electric motors) beyond what extended warranties can cover (8 yrs/100K miles)

If we're considering extended warranty for EV tech then those parts are already covered (battery and electric motors) beyond what extended warranties can cover (8 yrs/100K miles)
Great to know. What's Lucid's warranty on the battery pack and dual motors?

From Lucid's web site.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 1.14.40 PM.png

Back