Options pricing available on website now

There will be a limit to the patience for some of the Touring & Pure reservation holders. There are too many nice alternatives that will be available in the very near future.

As you get older you are faced with the reality that your ’window of patience’ grows smaller with each advancing year.
So very true!

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. If you assume that a 2 month delay in DE production will lead to some delay in production of all models going forward, would you give up your guaranteed but slightly delayed production slot for a different car? Just about all the desirable cars (and even the undesirable ones) are subject to waiting lists and dealer markups.

Furthermore, the Lucid Air in any trim is a luxury good and not a necessary one. Hopefully, people who can afford to buy one can also afford to wait a for a few additional months if needed.

I’m a Rivian R1S reservation holder, and my slot for delivery is first half 2023. With the current market environment, there are no BEVs equivalent to the Rivian that I would choose over waiting until then, even if the timing slips a little. And even if I wanted a Hummer or a F150, I don’t think I’d get them any sooner than the Rivian. The Rivian isn’t a strictly necessary purchase as my wife likes to remind me. My Subaru Outback with 105K miles is perfectly adequate. So, I can afford to wait.
I was originally told the Pure would begin production during the summer of this year. We know that's not happening.

I also put a deposit down for a BMW i4. In some ways I actually prefer the i4 for features it offers and in other ways I prefer the Lucid. When I look at the 2 cars objectively, fitted to my needs, it's definitely not a slam dunk for either car. So I have flexibility in making that decision. With that said, I still have no production # for the BMW, but other U.S. reservation holders are beginning to get theirs. Communication from BMW isn't a whole lot better than it is with Lucid. The bottom line is I really have no idea when I would get the i4, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't significantly sooner than the Pure.

Time will tell, but I am very comfortable with either decision other than a degree of uncertainty about Lucid's future. That wouldn't prevent me from going with the Lucid, but reality is reality.

I have been looking at both as well. I am a BMW driver and the BMW store is only a few minutes from my house which makes it very convenient to get service. And, of course, BMW offers me a loaner when they take in my car.

BUT...the range is much less and there is the ugly snout on the BMW. If they could add a little more range, I might be able to live with the snout by buying a blacked out version to minimize the visual impact.

I did the BMW autocross event this past year and it is a hoot.

I have been looking at both as well. I am a BMW driver and the BMW store is only a few minutes from my house which makes it very convenient to get service. And, of course, BMW offers me a loaner when they take in my car.

BUT...the range is much less and there is the ugly snout on the BMW. If they could add a little more range, I might be able to live with the snout by buying a blacked out version to minimize the visual impact.

For what it’s worth, if Lucid needs your car for service (and it can’t be done via mobile service) they offer a loaner as well.

Keep in mind that German cars typically beat their EPA estimates, so there's that. At this point there's really not enough data out there to substantiate any range claims, so that will have to wait. I agree though, for me range is the number one Lucid advantage. However I can manage with 250-300 miles since we have a hybrid whose range is actually almost 600 miles on a full tank. So for the very very rare long trips we'd take, we've got that. Hey, I made a relatively long trip in my range-challenged e-Tron this past summer and we did fine with the EA charging system. We don't take long trips in the winter, so I don't have a concern about reduced range in the cold weather either.

I like the look of the i4, the snout doesn't bother me at all. Having taken a close look at the 4 series that's currently at my dealer, I actually think it's quite a nice looking car. So no aesthetic issues with either car for me. Ironically, the only thing that does bother me about the Lucid aesthetically, though again it wouldn't be a deterrent, is that its looks are so unique, it attracts a lot of attention. That's not the kind of person I am, so I'd rather not have my car call attention to itself.

As I've said prior, each car has its pros & cons for me, so there's no clear cut winner/loser for my needs.

At this point there's really not enough data out there to substantiate any range claims, so that will have to wait.

I mean, Tom Moloughney did do his range tests and Lucid hit almost their intended range (500mi) very well, and those are pretty consistent across all of the cars he tests…

But I agree the German cars (and Ford, lol) tend to beat their estimates due to the 2-cycle EPA test.

I mean, Tom Moloughney did do his range tests and Lucid hit almost their intended range (500mi) very well, and those are pretty consistent across all of the cars he tests…

But I agree the German cars (and Ford, lol) tend to beat their estimates due to the 2-cycle EPA test.
Yup, there's certainly more data on Lucid than the i4. But just judging from owner's reports here, let's be honest, nobody is getting 500 miles of range. Tom's tests were very nice and well controlled, but in day to day driving, not as useful as they could be. I'm thinking in typical driving, from what I'm seeing here, 400-425 miles of range is a better average to consider for the longer range iterations of the Lucid. Nothing to sneeze at. :)

I'd be willing to wager that the reason that Lucid chose the test cycle they did was because it was the same test cycle Tesla uses. And since I believe that Lucid is trying to provide a direct competitor to the Model S, it was better for Lucid to go with the "overly optimistic" test than the test that is better grounded in reality. For many EV buyers, they may not research out what the real world range is. They may just look at the slick advertisement that states 400 mile range and assume that is what they will get (they never consider the "your mileage may vary" part of the equation.

Honestly, I'd rather have the less optimistic resulting test cycle, but I understand why Lucid didn't go that way.

I was originally told the Pure would begin production during the summer of this year. We know that's not happening.

I also put a deposit down for a BMW i4. In some ways I actually prefer the i4 for features it offers and in other ways I prefer the Lucid. When I look at the 2 cars objectively, fitted to my needs, it's definitely not a slam dunk for either car. So I have flexibility in making that decision. With that said, I still have no production # for the BMW, but other U.S. reservation holders are beginning to get theirs. Communication from BMW isn't a whole lot better than it is with Lucid. The bottom line is I really have no idea when I would get the i4, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't significantly sooner than the Pure.

Time will tell, but I am very comfortable with either decision other than a degree of uncertainty about Lucid's future. That wouldn't prevent me from going with the Lucid, but reality is reality.

My deposit for the BMW i4M50 was converted to an actual order yesterday. As you say, no timeline for delivery other than being told sometime this summer.

My deposit for the BMW i4M50 was converted to an actual order yesterday. As you say, no timeline for delivery other than being told sometime this summer.

When I was given the option to convert my reservation into an order for the iX, the dealer already knew the production slot that it represented with rough production and delivery timelines.

I would wager Lucid chances of selling and servicing cars in the US market in 2045 is greater than BMW's.

Yup, there's certainly more data on Lucid than the i4. But just judging from owner's reports here, let's be honest, nobody is getting 500 miles of range. Tom's tests were very nice and well controlled, but in day to day driving, not as useful as they could be. I'm thinking in typical driving, from what I'm seeing here, 400-425 miles of range is a better average to consider for the longer range iterations of the Lucid. Nothing to sneeze at. :)

I have a MYP, and a Lucid GT (and also a R1S) on order. In my day-to-day driving (local), which is mostly 40-50 mph since most of the miles are local & snail-pace SoCal traffic, I often got the near or above the EPA range (low 300s). I guess this has to do with Tesla's awesome regen and the nature of EVs at low speed. On the weekend when we often head for out-of-town or Vegas trips, we rarely get beyond 240. Guess that 80 - 100 mph doesn't help :).

My neighbor's Audi eTron never gets beyond 200 miles range. Most of the time she got 150-160. This hinders her enjoyment of the otherwise fantastic car.

So yes, range matters. Not only how far can you go, but how often you have to plan for charging - whether it's SC or not, no charge is better than having to stop and charge. I would say for an EV, the most important factor is a range, and hopefully Lucid aces it.

I'd be willing to wager that the reason that Lucid chose the test cycle they did was because it was the same test cycle Tesla uses. And since I believe that Lucid is trying to provide a direct competitor to the Model S, it was better for Lucid to go with the "overly optimistic" test than the test that is better grounded in reality. For many EV buyers, they may not research out what the real world range is. They may just look at the slick advertisement that states 400 mile range and assume that is what they will get (they never consider the "your mileage may vary" part of the equation.

Honestly, I'd rather have the less optimistic resulting test cycle, but I understand why Lucid didn't go that way.
Both Tesla and Lucid chose the 5 cycle test vs the 2 cycle. The 5 cycle test involves urban/city rush hour simulation, highway speed, aggressive driving simulation, 95 degree simulation with AC on (hot weather), and 20 degree simulation (cold weather). This should yield a more realistic number. Most manufacturers only perform the first 2 cycles. The EPA conducts tests indoors on a dyno so a car designed like a brick would do as well as the most aerodynamic one. The 2 cycle test results are so optimistic that a 30% penalty is assessed.

EPA testing is performed using default settings on the car. So if the DE came with Sprint and low regeneration as the default, the result would have been much different than the default being Smooth and high regeneration. This is one of the reasons the Taycan EPA results are so much worse than InsideEVs or Edmunds range test. Real world range tests are performed with settings optimized for range, not the default. Tesla engineers have figured out how to optimize for the EPA test - almost hints at VW dieselgate.

I agree that Tesla using the 5 cycle probably influenced Lucid but InsideEVs achieving 500 miles resulting in just 4% variance from EPA estimate is just phenomenal. With ACC enabled now (at least for owners able to download the latest update), it will be interesting to see what owners report in their real world longer distance trips.

Both Tesla and Lucid chose the 5 cycle test vs the 2 cycle. The 5 cycle test involves urban/city rush hour simulation, highway speed, aggressive driving simulation, 95 degree simulation with AC on (hot weather), and 20 degree simulation (cold weather). This should yield a more realistic number. Most manufacturers only perform the first 2 cycles. The EPA conducts tests indoors on a dyno so a car designed like a brick would do as well as the most aerodynamic one. The 2 cycle test results are so optimistic that a 30% penalty is assessed.

EPA testing is performed using default settings on the car. So if the DE came with Sprint and low regeneration as the default, the result would have been much different than the default being Smooth and high regeneration. This is one of the reasons the Taycan EPA results are so much worse than InsideEVs or Edmunds range test. Real world range tests are performed with settings optimized for range, not the default. Tesla engineers have figured out how to optimize for the EPA test - almost hints at VW dieselgate.

I agree that Tesla using the 5 cycle probably influenced Lucid but InsideEVs achieving 500 miles resulting in just 4% variance from EPA estimate is just phenomenal. With ACC enabled now (at least for owners able to download the latest update), it will be interesting to see what owners report in their real world longer distance trips.
Yea, it would be nicer, but it doesn't even matter. When I drove from LA to Phoenix, I stopped and the chargers had a line so I just ended up driving another 100 miles until the next charger. No hypermiling, cruising around 80 or so, there is no range anxiety...although I did make it to the charger with only 3% left...

Yea, it would be nicer, but it doesn't even matter. When I drove from LA to Phoenix, I stopped and the chargers had a line so I just ended up driving another 100 miles until the next charger. No hypermiling, cruising around 80 or so, there is no range anxiety...although I did make it to the charger with only 3% left...
I drive from Phoenix to LA multiple times a year and I look forward to not worrying about finding charger busy or even the food choices nearby. With the Lucid range and the multiple charging sites on the way, I am hoping for no anxiety.

Last edited:
I drive from Phoenix to LA multiple time a year and I look forward to not worrying about finding charger busy or even the food choices nearby. With the Lucid range the the multiple charging sites on the way, I am hoping for no anxiety.
Nice, I made it from Pasadena to Buckeye on 1 charge so...

I have a MYP, and a Lucid GT (and also a R1S) on order. In my day-to-day driving (local), which is mostly 40-50 mph since most of the miles are local & snail-pace SoCal traffic, I often got the near or above the EPA range (low 300s). I guess this has to do with Tesla's awesome regen and the nature of EVs at low speed. On the weekend when we often head for out-of-town or Vegas trips, we rarely get beyond 240. Guess that 80 - 100 mph doesn't help :).

My neighbor's Audi eTron never gets beyond 200 miles range. Most of the time she got 150-160. This hinders her enjoyment of the otherwise fantastic car.

So yes, range matters. Not only how far can you go, but how often you have to plan for charging - whether it's SC or not, no charge is better than having to stop and charge. I would say for an EV, the most important factor is a range, and hopefully Lucid aces it.
Interestingly, in the nice weather I routinely get about 220 miles on my 21 e-Tron. In the winter, not so much, more like 180 miles. Range is definitely not the e-Tron’s strong point. However keep in mind that the e-Tron is also one of the fastest charging EVs out there. That’s why in timed long distance challenges, the e-Tron often beats EVs with greater range.

Reactions: FFT
Interestingly, in the nice weather I routinely get about 220 miles on my 21 e-Tron. In the winter, not so much, more like 180 miles. Range is definitely not the e-Tron’s strong point. However keep in mind that the e-Tron is also one of the fastest charging EVs out there. That’s why in timed long distance challenges, the e-Tron often beats EVs with greater range.
Same here. I get similar numbers with my 2019 e-Tron, Frankly, I love everything about the car other than the range.

Back