Opening door from the outside without power

tmwong

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
So… in the event that the power fails, how does one open the doors from the outside? I don’t see how this is possible unless there’s a physical way to bypass the electronic lock, which seems insecure.

- T

You have to tap the 12v. Otherwise break the window

You have to tap the 12v. Otherwise break the window
Having been in this situation before.... you can't tap the 12v because you can't open the trunk to get to it. Breaking a window would work. With the way the door lever pulls backwards to open, we were able to use the old coat hanger thing where you wedge behind the window and pull the lever back to get the front door open.

Having been in this situation before.... you can't tap the 12v because you can't open the trunk to get to it. Breaking a window would work. With the way the door lever pulls backwards to open, we were able to use the old coat hanger thing where you wedge behind the window and pull the lever back to get the front door open.
Tap the 12 v from the rear passenger wheel well pigtails.

Tap the 12 v from the rear passenger wheel well pigtails.
This is an instance when the forum is more helpful than Lucid. I was at the car, trying to figure out what to do. I called Lucid CS, they took half an hour to answer. And when they did, the person told me he didn't know any way to get into an "offline" car.

So… in the event that the power fails, how does one open the doors from the outside? I don’t see how this is possible unless there’s a physical way to bypass the electronic lock, which seems insecure.

- T

I still wish all EVs should continue to have a backup physical key like Nissan Leaf and Kia EV6...

It's less of a headache and cost for manufacturers to skip the physical key feature but it's a step backward in redundancy and safety.

I still wish all EVs should continue to have a backup physical key like Nissan Leaf and Kia EV6...

It's less of a headache and cost for manufacturers to skip the physical key feature but it's a step backward in redundancy and safety.
It's the cost of one key.

My Corvette (electric doors) has an emergency key that can be used to open the trunk. From there I can open the driver's door and then the hood where I can deal with the dead battery. Much nicer than getting on the ground, opening a wheel well cover (can this even be done without tools?) and connecting a voltage source.

It's the cost of one key.
And the lock to put it in, and mechanical linkage to the door mechanism, and assembly and adjustment time for those, plus logistics costs.

Back