NTSB chair says EVs are getting too big and heavy

MoniputerLM

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream Edition Performance
DE Number
That extra bulk may be dangerous in a collision.

Yeah, I actually agree. I will say, driving the Lucid makes me a lot more comfortable because I’m *in* the heavier car, generally speaking, but once everybody has an EV I hope we will have figured out how to make them lighter.

For now, it’s certainly better to be in a heavy car than a light one. p = mv, after all

C'mon guys, plenty more heavier vans/suvs/trucks on the road.
None of them are electric

I agree that weight reduction would be a great thing to prioritize across the board. I also find it curious we suddenly are supposed to care about this now that we’re talking about EVs instead of SUVs.

I agree that weight reduction would be a great thing to prioritize across the board. I also find it curious we suddenly are supposed to care about this now that we’re talking about EVs instead of SUVs.
Oh, I agree with that too. There are plenty of heavier cars on the highway. All I’m saying is as more EVs get popular, it’s very nice to be in a heavier car.

This became quite clear in a recent collision with an ‘05 Camry. Her vehicle was totaled, and mine had barely any visible damage and drove without issue - still plenty of parts to replace, but nowhere near hers. Also, in my cabin I felt barely a jolt (it was a low speed collision).

Being in the heavier car is definitely safer.

On the heavy car aspect in my old model S I got rear ended by a Denali and was barely touched.

Evs are tanks

Attachments

• DDC93201-385C-410B-A21A-F913CCFDC0FC.jpeg
    DDC93201-385C-410B-A21A-F913CCFDC0FC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 74
  • D06BD560-2F7C-40A7-8520-21DA7F0312DE.jpeg
    D06BD560-2F7C-40A7-8520-21DA7F0312DE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
Back