Rivian Engineering

Everyone drops MSRP to stoke demand, Rivian actually increased price. Product speaks itself from ownership experience. I haven’t met a disgruntled Rivian owner in EA station. They are always smiling chin to chin. That’s best marketing!
Smiling at an EA station??? Now that is a great achievement by Rivian. Hope Lucid ramps up its software team for more rapid improvements.

Agree, Rivian seems to have no demand issues, unlike Lucid. But again, SUV's are the craze right now. Gravity when it starts delivering next year should fix that problem for Lucid. By then, I'm sure Lucid will be a household name.

Many criticized Lucid for not making an SUV or smaller car first. But the more I think about it, their approach is correct. Imagine coming out with your expected volume seller first and noone heard of the company before! Imagine if the Gravity came out 2 years ago with the horrible 1st iteration software. that would be the end! Lucid seems to be the tortoise in this race.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Lucid board room when they discuss pricing of the Gravity. I really hope that they start with an option under 6 figures and other options at the higher trim levels.

I think they are learning a lot about the market with the Pure rollout and I love that they seem to be offering more a la carte options to appeal to a wider population. I think they will crush it if they adopt something similar with the Gravity. I think it would also be helpful if the launch a few new Dream Drive features across all models. That would definitely help support higher prices for DD Pro.

Smiling at an EA station??? Now that is a great achievement by Rivian. Hope Lucid ramps up its software team for more rapid improvements.
Heck, even the actual CAR smiles. Now THATS an ownership experience!
1696611714102.png

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Lucid board room when they discuss pricing of the Gravity. I really hope that they start with an option under 6 figures and other options at the higher trim levels.

I think they are learning a lot about the market with the Pure rollout and I love that they seem to be offering more a la carte options to appeal to a wider population. I think they will crush it if they adopt something similar with the Gravity. I think it would also be helpful if the launch a few new Dream Drive features across all models. That would definitely help support higher prices for DD Pro.
Gravity should be under 85k for price parity with the R1S. Yes, they are for different target audiences. No, most people will not care.

Everyone has different tolerances for risk. But I have no qualms about the tiny amount of Rivian stock I picked up earlier this year. They’re not going anywhere bad.

Come to Boulder sometime. Rivians are well on their way to being as common as Model Y there already. Which is really saying something.

I’ve had my AGT for a full year and my R1S since Spring. Both great, though very different vehicles.

The R1S is extremely practical. Comfortable to drive, easily hauls a light trailer or hitch bike rack, nice sound system, great UX, but meh range. (Mine only gets 280 on a full charge because of initial buyer’s wheel choice). It’s a great gateway EV for those used to driving ICE SUVs like Explorers or Yukons.

The Air is visually stunning , fantastic to drive and wonderfully efficient, offering world class range. Interior materials are elegantly understated. UX…meh. Granted it gets better every week, but I’ve done 5-6 resets on the Lucid for every 1 on the Rivian.

It’s like any other purchase…decide what your needs are and buy the best you can afford that meets them.

I see Rivian succeeding because the average American loves SUVs and when the R2S releases at a midrange price, I think folks will flock to them. I see Lucid succeeding because of their efficiency, looks and the fact that the Gravity should be a great people hauler. …and Saudi financial backing doesn’t hurt.

All I know is I love driving both of them. Jumped into EVs with both feet and not regretting a thing.

Yep agree, they should launch the customery ( 410-420 based on range) Gravity Dream editions and then pivot immediately to the base model with options. Dont mess around with....well I'm going to make the most expensive model that hardly anyone can afford for 2 years and then trickle down to the model that is expected to sell the most. They messed the Air launch bigtime! Hope they learned the lesson.

I’ve had my AGT for a full year and my R1S since Spring. Both great, though very different vehicles.

The R1S is extremely practical. Comfortable to drive, easily hauls a light trailer or hitch bike rack, nice sound system, great UX, but meh range. (Mine only gets 280 on a full charge because of initial buyer’s wheel choice). It’s a great gateway EV for those used to driving ICE SUVs like Explorers or Yukons.

The Air is visually stunning , fantastic to drive and wonderfully efficient, offering world class range. Interior materials are elegantly understated. UX…meh. Granted it gets better every week, but I’ve done 5-6 resets on the Lucid for every 1 on the Rivian.

It’s like any other purchase…decide what your needs are and buy the best you can afford that meets them.

I see Rivian succeeding because the average American loves SUVs and when the R2S releases at a midrange price, I think folks will flock to them. I see Lucid succeeding because of their efficiency, looks and the fact that the Gravity should be a great people hauler. …and Saudi financial backing doesn’t hurt.

All I know is I love driving both of them. Jumped into EVs with both feet and not regretting a thing.
Yep, both Lucid and Rivian are the future of the American car industry, and of course Tesla. The new big 3 in EV land? I see Detroit becoming less relevant everyday. They have too much baggage.

Well said. I’m also an AGT and R1S owner. The R1s is a soccer mom/dad machine, which satisfies all of our needs. The AGT is a dirty little vixen, who satisfies my wants. Combined ownership is EV bliss.

On the R1S we are getting closer to 300-320 on a full charge with the 21s. I try not to use conserve mode, but I think I can get 340+ when I really need it.

Yep, both Lucid and Rivian are the future of the American car industry, and of course Tesla. The new big 3 in EV land? I see Detroit becoming less relevant everyday. They have too much baggage.

I wouldn't count out the traditional car makers as yet. MB, BMW and Audi are all making multiple EV models. The same applies to GM and soon to Ford and Stellantis. I think it is still a wide open battle for supremacy and customer acceptance.

Yep agree, they should launch the customery ( 410-420 based on range) Gravity Dream editions and then pivot immediately to the base model with options. Dont mess around with....well I'm going to make the most expensive model that hardly anyone can afford for 2 years and then trickle down to the model that is expected to sell the most. They messed the Air launch bigtime! Hope they learned the lesson.
It seems that Lucid now has the capacity and sense to cycle through quickly. I expect ALL trims to be produced in 2024.

Also, am I the only one who wants the gravity to become a baller SUV? It has potential with how low it is.. looks downright menacing in wrap pictures so far.

That seems a little unfair. When Lucid made those plans we were in a bull market and money was flowing around like crazy, pre-pandemic. It made absolute sense to start at the top high-end premium model, because at the time, people could pay for it and had disposable income.

Then a pandemic happened, and those pre-pandemic assumptions no longer held true.

Well said. I’m also an AGT and R1S owner. The R1s is a soccer mom/dad machine, which satisfies all of our needs. The AGT is a dirty little vixen, who satisfies my wants. Combined ownership is EV bliss.

On the R1S we are getting closer to 300-320 on a full charge with the 21s. I try not to use conserve mode, but I think I can get 340+ when I really need it.

I have never thought of my Lucid as a dirty little vixen; but because of your characterization, my relationship with her has reached a new level . Thank you.

That seems a little unfair. When Lucid made those plans we were in a bull market and money was flowing around like crazy, pre-pandemic. It made absolute sense to start at the top high-end premium model, because at the time, people could pay for it and had disposable income.

Then a pandemic happened, and those pre-pandemic assumptions no longer held true.
They could have pivoted earlier. Base pure with full complement of oprtions should have been released a year ago when everyone realized things were not going good. Now many who wanted a Lucid base model have moved on. Lucid dragged their feet for too long in my opinion. Hope they don't do the same with Gravity. Otehrwise the Germans will swallow them again despite Germans making inferior EV's.

Back