Not in Turtle Mode, yet

I told them what I was doing and no one seemed to care. It was always, "just send us the receipts". The only guidelines I received, and they were just comments in passing, were "whatever you want, short of a Ferrari" and "something comparable to the Lucid". The Audi was about as close as I could get. I could have gotten a 7-Series, or a Ghilbi or something like that, but they were no cheaper and would have required me to make a trip to the airport. I have two board meetings tomorrow and the Audi is going to deliver in the hour between them.
I hope something is in writing.

Aren't all cars rented through Turo insured through Liberty already?
Liberty provides the insurance but as a renter you still need to add it during checkout. One of those hidden costs you don’t see until checkout.

I got the upgraded insurance option as the deductible on that was similar to my personal policy. The all-in price was approximately the same as renting a "luxury vehicle" (Ghilbi or BMW 5 Series) from Enterprise.

I have screen shots of all the receipts and comp pricing. Based on my conversations with Lucid personnel, I would be shocked if they blink an eye. If they do, you guys will be the first to know...;)

Liberty provides the insurance but as a renter you still need to add it during checkout. One of those hidden costs you don’t see until checkout.
Actually, Insurance is set at a minimum automatically. My choice was either to stay at the minimum or get "standard" coverage. I love how the choice is "Minimum" or "Standard".

Well, car should redeliver on Monday if they can find a transport.

Well, car should redeliver on Monday if they can find a transport.
If by some absolute miracle your Lucid is actually returned on Monday, and your Turo rental car owner doesn't want to shorten your rental term, will Lucid still pay the whole thing?

Well, they were the ones who originally told me to book a car for two weeks, so we'll see. I had actually only boked it for ten days, so it could have been worse.

Yes, a metal clamp/zip tie that held part of the coolant tubing in place broke, causing the tubing to either bend far enough that it kinked or rubbed against the axle enough that it started leaking. I had taken the car on a very short errand, so the coolant did not end up on the road, but rather on my garage floor. He said the coolant is both for the batteries nd the motor, so who knows what it might have presented as had I been driving a longer distance. All things considered, I think I caught it quite early after the leak started. They also took care of a couple very minor issues while it was in, a very slightly misaligned charging door, a couple pieces of trim that seemed a little loose and a very tiny spot on the paint that looked like either tar, glue or whatever. I just wanted it off before I surrender the car once again for PPF/Ceramic/Tint.

And they guy from Turo accepted my modification, so no worries there.

Yes, a metal clamp/zip tie that held part of the coolant tubing in place broke, causing the tubing to either bend far enough that it kinked or rubbed against the axle enough that it started leaking. I had taken the car on a very short errand, so the coolant did not end up on the road, but rather on my garage floor. He said the coolant is both for the batteries nd the motor, so who knows what it might have presented as had I been driving a longer distance. All things considered, I think I caught it quite early after the leak started. They also took care of a couple very minor issues while it was in, a very slightly misaligned charging door, a couple pieces of trim that seemed a little loose and a very tiny spot on the paint that looked like either tar, glue or whatever. I just wanted it off before I surrender the car once again for PPF/Ceramic/Tint.

And they guy from Turo accepted my modification, so no worries there.
Wow if this had been a longer road trip or you weren’t as astute to catch it so quickly, sounds like both battery and motor could have theoretically been at risk.

Nothing is ever easy. Got a call from the transport company asking my address. Things looked good until I asked them to confirm an enclosed trailer. At that point, the woman on the phone asked me to wait while she got “her superior”. They told me their enclosed trailer “was in Florida, but they had an open flatbed”. This was the same Company that was supposed to pick up the car early this week, but said their trailer was in an accident and had an open flatbed show up at my house. I am not having this car transported four hours in the open, uncovered.

So, I let Lucid know and there has been no word since. Monday is hopeful, but somewhat unlikely.

• Angry
Reactions: DJL
Wow if this had been a longer road trip or you weren’t as astute to catch it so quickly, sounds like both battery and motor could have theoretically been at risk.
Maybe, hard to tell, but seems like a reasonable conclusion.

Nothing is ever easy. Got a call from the transport company asking my address. Things looked good until I asked them to confirm an enclosed trailer. At that point, the woman on the phone asked me to wait while she got “her superior”. They told me their enclosed trailer “was in Florida, but they had an open flatbed”. This was the same Company that was supposed to pick up the car early this week, but said their trailer was in an accident and had an open flatbed show up at my house. I am not having this car transported four hours in the open, uncovered.

So, I let Lucid know and there has been no word since. Monday is hopeful, but somewhat unlikely.
They should comp you an official lucid outdoor car cover at the very least!

Or they can comp you something better than what I comp’d myself this week.
CBBDF959-3F5A-4851-AE95-DE668595E114.jpeg

When you had your car originally shipped from Riviera Beach was it in a covered hauler? If so, did they also cover the car inside the hauler with a car cover?

It Was in an enclosed trailer and I am not sure if they put a cover over it in the trailer or not. They unloaded the trailer in a church parking lot down the street and the DA drove it over.

when they picked my car up for service, the driver of that enclosed trailer had his own covers and covered it while in the trailer.

Given these delivery/transport guys are independent contractors, I would say it depends on the driver.

I have used 4 independent car haulers over the years. Three were excellent and one was pretty sloppy in his job. One of the advantages of old car forums is you can go on them and ask for recommended haulers and get honest answers from forum members.
The large national chains zig zag from state to state picking up and dropping off cars and the wait can be really long. To make a profit they want to be full at all times. I asked a corporate driver one time what he hauls the most and he said by far cars for folks in the military. As they are transferred across the U.S. many have more vehicles than family members to drive everything to the new location.

We’ll, it really made me angry that for both of these service trips the carrier tried to pick my car up in an open flat bed. I even had to tell the driver that showed up to my house that he had no business being there. Lucid states on their requirements that it must be enclosed, yet these guys are trying to slip it by the owners and pick up a car, probably telling Lucid that the owner said it was OK. I really hope Lucid takes the extra step to contact the owner before releasing the vehicle with only the tow guy’s word.

These companies are taking jobs, removing them from the “board” so that others who actually fit the requirements can’t take the work. So, beware of these transport companies and make sure you see your car get loaded, if possible.

We’ll, it really made me angry that for both of these service trips the carrier tried to pick my car up in an open flat bed. I even had to tell the driver that showed up to my house that he had no business being there. Lucid states on their requirements that it must be enclosed, yet these guys are trying to slip it by the owners and pick up a car, probably telling Lucid that the owner said it was OK. I really hope Lucid takes the extra step to contact the owner before releasing the vehicle with only the tow guy’s word.

These companies are taking jobs, removing them from the “board” so that others who actually fit the requirements can’t take the work. So, beware of these transport companies and make sure you see your car get loaded, if possible.
Thanks for the tip on this. I’m certain that’s why my car was delivered quite dirty when I took delivery. The two times it went to service I didn’t see the truck myself because I wasn’t home when I picked it up, but I’ll request an enclosed carrier next time, although hopefully there will be no “next time” since the Natick service center should be open soon that’s not too far from me (30 miles).

Back