Frunk? “Turtle mode”?

Gil

Cars
Lucid Air
1. The car warned incessantly that the frunk was open, though it was not. Electronically opening and closing the frunk didn’t silence the error. Physically pushing down on the frunk finally convinced the car that the frunk was closed.

2. Got on the highway a few minutes later. The car accelerated to 36 mph and no higher. Terrifying!

Are these faults related? I’m aware of rumors of a “turtle mode”; is there any official acknowledgement or documentation of such a thing?

There is no warning or indication. The car simply refuses to accelerate past 36 mph. I did a reset via X+microphone+brake, but no change. It’s Sunday, so no one will begin to consider the issue till tomorrow.

(I know that many here dislike angry complaints about Lucid and respond defensively, but I am irate. For the second time, I have an undrivable car. Last time it was in the repair shop for three weeks. What a mistake this was.)

Not sure if it’s related, but I accidentally opened my frunk today when I meant to open the trunk. Rather than letting the thing fully open, I immediately tapped the button again to close the frunk. But it didn’t fully close. Then I put it into gear, and it warned me the frunk was still open, even though it looked closed. So I fully opened it again, and then closed it, and it secured this time. But then when I put it back into drive, I got the “turtle” warning on the left side of my center cockpit screen. I panicked for a second, but then put it back into park, and then drive again, and the warning went away. Hasn’t come back yet.

So there may be some software connection between open funks and turtle mode, in other words. And perhaps your car’s computers are in a state they can’t get out of easily. Hopefully Customer Care can do a remote reset for you and get you back on your way. If the standard resets aren’t helping.

Have you tried resetting it? I am still waiting for delivery of mine but I have read that if the frunk latch isn't adjusted right that the car thinks that the frunk is open and won't let you go above 35 MPH for safety reasons. Sounds like you fixed the frunk by manually pushing on it but maybe the error hasn't reset? I would try the reset methods and then report it to Lucid so that they can adjust your Frunk latch. Good luck!

I've had this happen to me ~3 times. The frunk partially unlatches (mechanically) and then gets stuck in a state where it's neither obviously open nor can it close completely. But if the car thinks the frunk isn't fully closed it caps your speed. Pushing down on the frunk until the mechanical latch works resolves the issue. Then I don't see it happen again for weeks.

It's frustrating and unnecessary but manageable. Use the frunk and drive the car, push down the frunk if it does this again--but arrange service through Customer Care.

Amazing. I did push down physically on the frunk until the mistaken warning went off. It boggles the mind to think that there’s a separate, continuing frunk warning invisible to the driver that causes a sudden acceleration halt at 36 mph, again with no warning to the driver. It’s hard to imagine a crazier set of design choices—if that’s what they are.

Having experienced the unexpected acceleration failure while entering a fast highway, I never want to experience that again. (My spouse is more adamant. She wants me to get rid of the car.)

I’m awaiting service.

Amazing. I did push down physically on the frunk until the mistaken warning went off. It boggles the mind to think that there’s a separate, continuing frunk warning invisible to the driver that causes a sudden acceleration halt at 36 mph, again with no warning to the driver. It’s hard to imagine a crazier set of design choices—if that’s what they are.

Having experienced the unexpected acceleration failure while entering a fast highway, I never want to experience that again. (My spouse is more adamant. She wants me to get rid of the car.)

I’m awaiting service.
I can’t speak for your experience, but I definitely got a very visible warning on the left side of the center cockpit panel. Not sure why that wouldn’t be showing for you. Sounds like you definitely need service to check it out.

1. The car warned incessantly that the frunk was open, though it was not. Electronically opening and closing the frunk didn’t silence the error. Physically pushing down on the frunk finally convinced the car that the frunk was closed.
Bad latch, call service.

I had the issue of the frunk exactly as you are having the day of delivery. The issue was, for me, the passenger side latch would not engage without someone pushing it down at closing. Lucid replaced both latches and never had an issue since then.

To follow up (five days later; car still awaiting repair): Lucid confirms that "turtle mode" exists. I think it should be documented—what do you think?

Turtle mode can be triggered by a frunk warning, whether or not the warning is a false alarm. I don't know what else can trigger turtle mode (it's undocumented). There may or may not be a tiny yellow turtle icon visible in the glass cockpit (I saw it briefly but then it went away). In my case, at least, there was no other warning. I think there should be! What do you think?

I had a turtle experience over Christmas. They took a month to determine it was a bad cooling pump that set it off. Have had the car back for a couple of weeks now and everything is fine but I haven't put many miles on it.

To follow up (five days later; car still awaiting repair): Lucid confirms that "turtle mode" exists. I think it should be documented—what do you think?

Turtle mode can be triggered by a frunk warning, whether or not the warning is a false alarm. I don't know what else can trigger turtle mode (it's undocumented). There may or may not be a tiny yellow turtle icon visible in the glass cockpit (I saw it briefly but then it went away). In my case, at least, there was no other warning. I think there should be! What do you think?
Not sure of all the issues that triggers this icon. However, the icon itself is noted as "Limited Power Mode active" in the user manual - leave it to Lucid not to place a version number on the pdf manual. I can say this manual predates software 2.xx.

More info:

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 1.23.58 PM.png

I am assuming that any issues that signal a drive safety issue triggers this icon. What I don't get is that when I first had my car delivered, I had a faulty frunk latch. The car would show it as open and provide an annoying sound, however no other warning including the turtle. I would assume that turtle should be activated since the safety is in the frunk opening all they way when driving would be a catastrophic issue. They did fix that within a week after delivery by replacing the latches.

Aha! It‘s not undocumented after all. It’s called Limited Power Mode. Thank you.

This is my take on Turtle Mode. I have had the car since Dec 30th 2022. Do not get me wrong I am in LOVE with it. The issue I have been dealing with is Turtle Mode. On Feb 5th - Sunday. I was leaving on a business trip. Was leaving town and getting onto the interstate when I couldn't accelerate faster than 51 MPH. I have seen post on here with much lower speed thresholds. I pulled off onto next exit and called service. It was a Sunday. But was on hold for 40 minutes. I had been googling other options while I waited on hold. So did a few of the resets as I understood them. Nothing would work. Got the service person on the line and he had me do the resets with Key going completely out of area as well as the valet key option. Noting worked. He said he would schedule to have taken to a nearby facility early in the week. Keep in mind I live in South Dakota. I took another car and left on my business trip - giving them my husbands number to contact for pick up. They called back on Monday and had him try a few options as well as making sure Trunk, frunk and all doors were closed. Nothing would take it out of Turtle Mode. They then deiced to have it picked up and taken to Chicago Service Center. This all took a bit. So they picked up my car on Feb 11th It got to the service center on Monday the 13th. They texted me that morning to sign the service approval doc and that a technician would be assigned. Took until Thursday the 16th for a technician to be assigned. Then it went into diagnosis status. Today the 20th I asked for an update and they are telling me that an order was placed for a coolant pump and it should be there tomorrow for installation. They said the technician after inspecting the wiring believe the pump has an internal fault resulting in Turtle lite to appear on cluster. The word that worries me is believe! Wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience. I looked and saw post about the turtle mode but none with the Pump issues. Thanks!!!!

It’s all too clear that Lucid has underinvested in service. The infrastructure is not there, and they are understaffed, even for the small number of cars on the road. I pray that this shortsightedness doesn’t kill the company.

It’s all too clear that Lucid has underinvested in service. The infrastructure is not there, and they are understaffed, even for the small number of cars on the road. I pray that this shortsightedness doesn’t kill the company.
I know they promised a service center in Northern Virginia and I received a text message from my service advisor today:

"I just wanted to give you a quick update. Our Tyson’s service center will be opening soon. I have you on the queue for the recall as well as the B-pillar repairs. I hope all is well."

Seems like they are making progress. It still a relatively new company and the infrastructure will take some time.

This is my take on Turtle Mode. I have had the car since Dec 30th 2022. Do not get me wrong I am in LOVE with it. The issue I have been dealing with is Turtle Mode. On Feb 5th - Sunday. I was leaving on a business trip. Was leaving town and getting onto the interstate when I couldn't accelerate faster than 51 MPH. I have seen post on here with much lower speed thresholds. I pulled off onto next exit and called service. It was a Sunday. But was on hold for 40 minutes. I had been googling other options while I waited on hold. So did a few of the resets as I understood them. Nothing would work. Got the service person on the line and he had me do the resets with Key going completely out of area as well as the valet key option. Noting worked. He said he would schedule to have taken to a nearby facility early in the week. Keep in mind I live in South Dakota. I took another car and left on my business trip - giving them my husbands number to contact for pick up. They called back on Monday and had him try a few options as well as making sure Trunk, frunk and all doors were closed. Nothing would take it out of Turtle Mode. They then deiced to have it picked up and taken to Chicago Service Center. This all took a bit. So they picked up my car on Feb 11th It got to the service center on Monday the 13th. They texted me that morning to sign the service approval doc and that a technician would be assigned. Took until Thursday the 16th for a technician to be assigned. Then it went into diagnosis status. Today the 20th I asked for an update and they are telling me that an order was placed for a coolant pump and it should be there tomorrow for installation. They said the technician after inspecting the wiring believe the pump has an internal fault resulting in Turtle lite to appear on cluster. The word that worries me is believe! Wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience. I looked and saw post about the turtle mode but none with the Pump issues. Thanks!!!!
When you’re troubleshooting, you make your best effort to fix the problem, but you can rarely guarantee nothing else is wrong. I highly doubt that there’s *nothing* wrong with the coolant pump, but that doesn’t guarantee that it’s the only thing.

That’s probably what they mean by “believe.” It’s not a guess

Back