North Carolina Rally: Tail of the Dragon + More

Rogue

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT-P
I have done the initial research on possibilities of such an event. As would be expected, charging options are potentially few and far between. This event is centered around driving enthusiasts who will not mind a longer car rally. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Charging Stations: Waynesville, NC; Cherokee, NC; Chattanooga, TN; and Southwest of Knoxville.

All Trips: Based out of Cherokee, NC.

Lunch/Brunch in Robinsonville, NC or Cherokee, NC
Option 1 (Tail of the Dragon + Lake Santeetlah): Shared route
From Cherokee, North Carolina to Cherokee, North Carolina via NC-28 N.

3 hr 9 min (126 mi)
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/qaDjFphkCDhspY6v9

Lunch in Tellico Plains, NC
Option 2 (Tail of the Dragon + Cherohala Highway + Lake Santeetlah + Hiking Opportunities): Shared route
From Cherokee, North Carolina to Cherokee, North Carolina via NC-28 N.

4 hr 37 min (196 mi)
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/cugKuGuTcor73W6u6

My idea is that most people would be headed to Nantahala National Forest, Gatlinburg, Great Smoky Mountains, Cherokee National Forest, or Asheville afterwards.

It is late, but I plan on researching food options. Ballpark timeline would be spring, but it may be closer to summer to finalize. I plan on reaching out to Lucid to see if they would be interested in helping, sponsoring, or some other form of partnership. Even a sticker/stamp in the Owner Club books would be cool.

Last notes: I easily imagine folks peeling off throughout the ride to tackle hikes. There are plenty of places to take pictures along these routes with some of the most beautiful shots being on short, easy hikes to a vantage point. My idea would be just a few stops in the beginning at the easier places. Staying together will not be an issue as most, if not all, of the roads are two lanes.

I did the first route in my 1965 Cobra Replica (Superformance) and it was great fun and a beautiful drive. My lake house is the other side of Asheville from there so I am up in that area often.

Very much looking forward to this! As I'm not local there's probably nothing I can do to help with the planning/preparation, but if there ever is please let me know. I'll start planning my route for the trek out from Utah.

Very much looking forward to this! As I'm not local there's probably nothing I can do to help with the planning/preparation, but if there ever is please let me know. I'll start planning my route for the trek out from Utah.
Wait, you're joking, right? In a car, it would take 27 hours for SLC to the TOTD!

Wait, you're joking, right? In a car, it would take 27 hours for SLC to the TOTD!
If nothing else this car has certainly brought out my adventurous side, and this is definitely one adventure I don't want to miss. Plus, I've already gone to California and back a bunch of times in the past year, so I've already got plenty of road trip miles under my belt. That said, if Lucid wants to loan me a GT or GT-P so I can fly out and keep up with everyone else I certainly won't say no!

If nothing else this car has certainly brought out my adventurous side, and this is definitely one adventure I don't want to miss. Plus, I've already gone to California and back a bunch of times in the past year, so I've already got plenty of road trip miles under my belt. That said, if Lucid wants to loan me a GT or GT-P so I can fly out and keep up with everyone else I certainly won't say no!
Wife has offered you the shotgun seat. She wants to be in the back and the middle for the glass roof views, music, and kids.

Pack your motion sickness bags for those in the backseat. Backseats for TOTD can be uncomfortable, no matter how large or roomy they may be.

Wife has offered you the shotgun seat. She wants to be in the back and the middle for the glass roof views, music, and kids.
My wife loves being driven around sitting in the back seat on longer trips. Driving Miss Daisy style. I get it. It’s quite comfortable back there.

the drive is great but not really good for a group of EVs because of limited places to charge

There are a total of 22 level 2 chargers in Cherokee, NC plus the fast chargers. I do not disagree with you, but I am actively compiling information to alleviate some of the pains.

Unlike some motorcycle rallies and car rallies, the primary group ride will be until Tellico Plains for lunch. Once people have lunch, I expect folks will disperse in smaller groups to finish up on the highway, do a few hikes, and/or split off to their final destinations.

The entire trip (as planned currently) will be 200 miles starting and stopping in Cherokee, NC. That is plenty to keep going to the next set of chargers. I do expect and will advise people to top off the afternoon/evening/night before or early before the start.

There will be a document link shared once I finish ironing out the stops, places to eat, notes, things to do, etc.

There are a total of 22 level 2 chargers in Cherokee, NC plus the fast chargers. I do not disagree with you, but I am actively compiling information to alleviate some of the pains.

Unlike some motorcycle rallies and car rallies, the primary group ride will be until Tellico Plains for lunch. Once people have lunch, I expect folks will disperse in smaller groups to finish up on the highway, do a few hikes, and/or split off to their final destinations.

The entire trip (as planned currently) will be 200 miles starting and stopping in Cherokee, NC. That is plenty to keep going to the next set of chargers. I do expect and will advise people to top off the afternoon/evening/night before or early before the start.

There will be a document link shared once I finish ironing out the stops, places to eat, notes, things to do, etc.
L2 chargers are great if at the hotel you are staying at otherwise they aren't very good for road tripping

L2 chargers are great if at the hotel you are staying at otherwise they aren't very good for road tripping
Agreed. More information will be available in the document shared, including fast charger locations.

Agreed. More information will be available in the document shared, including fast charger locations.
Porsche club does a similar trip but I decided that it isn't well suited for my taycan, especially if there are other ones there

@Rogue you are a saint for putting this together. I'm seriously contemplating making a drive to attend this =)

@Rogue you are a saint for putting this together. I'm seriously contemplating making a drive to attend this =)
WTF.. you guys are a different breed! Do enjoy if you actually do go that far, that would be absolutely insane.
1708036376743.png

Wow :) Perfect for Lucids long range! You’re being very thorough, much appreciated by all who will attend, I’m sure!

Back