New owner first long trip

jpcornett

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
First of all, love my new GT Lucid. We had our first 250+ mile trip to Pittsburgh last weekend. 235 mile trip, driving normal interstate and mountain roads, used about 320 miles of battery. Only two locations in Pittsburgh market for Electrify America, but found one and charged on a 350kw station to full at 468 miles in about 45 minutes. On another note: 1. why no Sirius/XM in a car this expensive? 2. again, for the price, only one of the two phone slots charge phone. This did not make my wife happy. Anybody know when the wall charging unit to be available? Anyone find a floor mat (really, cream white floor carpet???) Having fun along the way. Cheers!

Anyone find a floor mat (really, cream white floor carpet???) Having fun along the way. Cheers!
I’m looking for a clear set that I can put on top of the Lucid mats. The Lucid mats are so pretty, I would like to keep them in the car and see them.

I have just driven from NJ to DC, to Chattanooga, then Atlanta and now Birmingham. I used ABRP to locate EA charging stations even though I was driving an ice because I wanted to test how convenient charging was along this route that I drive frequently. In the 1200 miles I have traveled, I have found EA at convenient intervals along the route. (ABRP won’t accept Pure as an option, so I put in GT and discounted the range accordingly). Even in very rural East Tennessee I found a variety of charging stations. Next to EA, the most common was EVGo. I even got off the interstate to check out each one and found them very accessible. This certainly relieved my range anxiety. The rest of my route will take me from Birmingham to McDonough, GA to Eufaula, Alabama then back through GA, SC, NC, VA, and MD to NJ. I will be using ABRP to check out these routes as well.

I have just driven from NJ to DC, to Chattanooga, then Atlanta and now Birmingham. I used ABRP to locate EA charging stations even though I was driving an ice because I wanted to test how convenient charging was along this route that I drive frequently. In the 1200 miles I have traveled, I have found EA at convenient intervals along the route. (ABRP won’t accept Pure as an option, so I put in GT and discounted the range accordingly). Even in very rural East Tennessee I found a variety of charging stations. Next to EA, the most common was EVGo. I even got off the interstate to check out each one and found them very accessible. This certainly relieved my range anxiety. The rest of my route will take me from Birmingham to McDonough, GA to Eufaula, Alabama then back through GA, SC, NC, VA, and MD to NJ. I will be using ABRP to check out these routes as well.
I grew up in Chattanooga. The VW plant they built there is building the ID4, and VW is the reason we have EA cuz they lied about emissions, so it’s funny cuz TN is both the land of lifted Ram drivers who will ICE the EV charging stations, and land of plentiful EV charging stations.

1. why no Sirius/XM in a car this expensive?
Nobody knows, but it’s been brought up to Lucid so maybe they’ll do something about it?

2. again, for the price, only one of the two phone slots charge phone. This did not make my wife happy.
The one that does charge the phone isn’t very good at it either. But you’ve got both types of USB slots at least right there.

Anybody know when the wall charging unit to be available?
Hopefully by Xmas? It’s in the new Lucid tech talk video briefly.

Having fun along the way. Cheers!
Yeah that’s what I love about the car. There’s some frustrations but the fun outweighs them all for me.

I grew up in Chattanooga. The VW plant they built there is building the ID4, and VW is the reason we have EA cuz they lied about emissions, so it’s funny cuz TN is both the land of lifted Ram drivers who will ICE the EV charging stations, and land of plentiful EV charging stations.
I grew up in Ringgold. Though they have VW producing ev’s there and by court order have invested in EA, the only EA charging station in the area is in Ooltewah.

I grew up in Ringgold. Though they have VW producing ev’s there and by court order have invested in EA, the only EA charging station in the area is in Ooltewah.
Funny, small world, and only having one EA station in the area is gonna make people slow to adopt EVs though it’s good they have other options. I could picture the F150 lightning and MachE being more popular there than the ID4. Is there a Wal-Mart there in Ooltewah for the EA charger? I went to Ooltewah High School for two years then CSAS. I haven’t been back there in a bit but my dad said Ooltewah got built up like crazy.

Yep, it’s at a Walmart. Actually, it was the hardest one to find of all the one’s I had on ABRP. It is camouflaged by a screen of cedars in a far corner. and yes, Ooltewah is developing As Chattanooga grows

First of all, love my new GT Lucid. We had our first 250+ mile trip to Pittsburgh last weekend. 235 mile trip, driving normal interstate and mountain roads, used about 320 miles of battery. Only two locations in Pittsburgh market for Electrify America, but found one and charged on a 350kw station to full at 468 miles in about 45 minutes. On another note: 1. why no Sirius/XM in a car this expensive? 2. again, for the price, only one of the two phone slots charge phone. This did not make my wife happy. Anybody know when the wall charging unit to be available? Anyone find a floor mat (really, cream white floor carpet???) Having fun along the way. Cheers!

I am lost on why everyone asks about no car play or Sirius/XM. Can you not run it from your phone and play the sound through the car speakers???

I would never use Sirius/XM, I would stream music I want to hear or listen to podcasts...that's just me.

Supposedly, you can stream Sirius/XM radio from your phone, but it is not satellite radio. You will lose the signal more often relying on cell service than you would if it were true Sirius/XM Satellite Radio. Depending on where you live/drive, this can be a big difference. I have never really used CarPlay, so the only reason I am interested in it is for a replacement to Sirius/XM.

Heck, I listen to Sirius/XM radio via bluetooth in both my 1968 and 1973 Mustangs. So I guess I will be doing the same in the Lucid should it ever actually deliver.

I am lost on why everyone asks about no car play or Sirius/XM. Can you not run it from your phone and play the sound through the car speakers???

I would never use Sirius/XM, I would stream music I want to hear or listen to podcasts...that's just me.
CarPlay, even the wireless variety, streams at a much better quality than Bluetooth can achieve.

All the folks here complaining the stereo sounds average at best? Most of them are likely streaming average quality over Bluetooth via Spotify. That’s like buying a fancy imported Italian chef’s oven and cooking cheap ground beef in it.

Also, CarPlay is about a lot more than listening to music. Navigation, integration with all the info on your phone, etc. I can see why it’s a big request.

Also, something like 98% of all cars on the road made in the last few years have it. So people are very used to having it.

CarPlay, even the wireless variety, streams at a much better quality than Bluetooth can achieve.

All the folks here complaining the stereo sounds average at best? Most of them are likely streaming average quality over Bluetooth via Spotify. That’s like buying a fancy imported Italian chef’s oven and cooking cheap ground beef in it.

Also, CarPlay is about a lot more than listening to music. Navigation, integration with all the info on your phone, etc. I can see why it’s a big request.

Also, something like 98% of all cars on the road made in the last few years have it. So people are very used to having it.
Very good point on streaming quality. I have mine set to the highest in all my apps, but it's nowhere near close to Tidal HiFi Plus.

I don't disagree with you on what Car Play offers, but you can get by for the time being. Our phones do work and they do have BT. I am not saying we never need these features, but I understand why they are not available yet. It takes time, money, and resources...Lucid needs to sell more cars folks. Tell your friends to buy! The more cars sold, the more money they have for SW dev.

1st world problems with a 6 figure car 😉 #growingpains

Whenever I read a comment like that means you probably don’t drive on many trips or live in a big city. Sirius is awesome when you travel a lot like I do, as you have a constant signal. Streaming Sirius or anything else from your phone when traveling can go in and out depending on cell coverage. Plus having Sirius on your car makes it easier/safer to use, as looking at your phone takes your eyes away from the phone and hard to select stations. Even the cheapest cars offer Sirius, so a $100k plus car should as well. My wife won’t purchase a car without Sirius, as that is all she uses.

CarPlay is a no brainer too for me, since I love using Waze, Apple Music, etc. through the cars system.

Whenever I read a comment like that means you probably don’t drive on many trips or live in a big city. Sirius is awesome when you travel a lot like I do, as you have a constant signal. Streaming Sirius or anything else from your phone when traveling can go in and out depending on cell coverage. Plus having Sirius on your car makes it easier/safer to use, as looking at your phone takes your eyes away from the phone and hard to select stations. Even the cheapest cars offer Sirius, so a $100k plus car should as well. My wife won’t purchase a car without Sirius, as that is all she uses.

CarPlay is a no brainer too for me, since I love using Waze, Apple Music, etc. through the cars system.
I agree 100%. Just because you have access to Sirius/XM Radio does not mean you have Sirius/XM SATELLITE Radio. There can be a huge difference between the two depending on your use case.

Having a second home in the foothills of NC, we are in rural areas and mountainous rural areas at that and lose cell signal quite often. I can think of exactly two places up there where we lose satellite signal, for about 5 seconds each time.

Clearly, you don't have a paid subscription to a music app then, if we are going to play the assume game ;) (I'm joking)

You can download music and never loss signal as you can with Sirius/XM. I would always lose signal with S/XM in tunnels and certain spots. I have never lost connection with my paid music app on any of my trips. You can download music, have music offline, and download podcast after podcast. My wife wants to see turn-by-turn directions and the map in carplay so she likes both. If they never have it then you know what you have to do, but when you know it is coming I can wait.

Again, I am not saying we/you won't have them or shouldn't have them, but I am speaking for a short period of time if this is the car you want you can get by UNTIL they update the SW. It's coming, be patient. New car brands have quirks and kinks that is just how it is.

That’s funny, because to me Sirius XM has always been a drawback. It’s an extra button I never use and when I hit it, it annoys me because I didn’t mean to.

to each their own? :p

That’s funny, because to me Sirius XM has always been a drawback. It’s an extra button I never use and when I hit it, it annoys me because I didn’t mean to.

to each their own? :p
Yes, it's all what you are used to. Like I have said before, at least give me the option to choose. Taking away that option takes away choice. Listening to anything over BT though is not going to be optimal in my opinion. Either way, I now have yet another subscription (Tidal) and have downloaded/converted my playlists to Tidal.

Yes, it's all what you are used to. Like I have said before, at least give me the option to choose. Taking away that option takes away choice. Listening to anything over BT though is not going to be optimal in my opinion. Either way, I now have yet another subscription (Tidal) and have downloaded/converted my playlists to Tidal.
I hope there will be more streaming options, for sure. I have no intention of signing up for Tidal when I already have Apple Music. The more built in apps, the better.

Sirius is different because of the separate hardware component needed for true Satellite. I don’t know what happened behind the scenes. Whether Lucid just didn’t want to add more hardware, or Sirius never approached them about a deal on hardware. (I know they were basically giving the antennas away to manufacturers just to get people hooked on the service. Maybe they stopped that?) Whatever the case may be, it’s going to be harder to add true Satellite service to the car after the fact. But that doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen. If there’s enough demand for it.

Clearly, you don't have a paid subscription to a music app then, if we are going to play the assume game ;) (I'm joking)

You can download music and never loss signal as you can with Sirius/XM. I would always lose signal with S/XM in tunnels and certain spots. I have never lost connection with my paid music app on any of my trips. You can download music, have music offline, and download podcast after podcast. My wife wants to see turn-by-turn directions and the map in carplay so she likes both. If they never have it then you know what you have to do, but when you know it is coming I can wait.

Again, I am not saying we/you won't have them or shouldn't have them, but I am speaking for a short period of time if this is the car you want you can get by UNTIL they update the SW. It's coming, be patient. New car brands have quirks and kinks that is just how it is.
Ha - I have Apple Music and Tidal, but I use Sirius and so does my wife to listen their talk, sports and news stations, which is mostly what we both listen too. Sirius is just a no brainer for how much we use it and travel and don’t want to use it from our phones. Again, any $100k car should have it and I would guess majority do. FYI - if you ever lose signal with Sirius it is for a brief couple secs, not for minutes when streaming the same thing if you are in a rural area.

Back