New OTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like anot

few months more like it. The guy tweeted this back on August 24th and one month on we're still waiting for this "dramatic" boot time improvement.......

View attachment 4972

It may be that I am blessed with the wonderful ability to comprehend written language, but what he said was that it was one of many updates coming. That means "a series of updates". And that series of updates that is planned is going to happen within weeks.

We have absolutely had a series of updates. Satellite maps and traffic came out. Lots of smaller incremental updates came out in preparation for this "big one". It's only been 4 weeks and we've had how many OTAs? Obviously it's coming...

I don't understand you guys sometimes. Why you have to be so cynical to the point of taking personal offense to a teaser tweet, I will never comprehend.

You can sit there and say "oh this is what happens when I complain on the forums, I get raked over the coals for it", but that's not really what happened here. What happened here is that a Lucid employee who has a track record of posting update teasers shortly before they come out has posted another teaser, and the only reaction you could think of was "dismissive cynicism".

Sometimes I think people need to take mandatory short breaks from the forum.

I think it's a bit more vexing: surely they wouldn't release software they knew wasn't stable..so the fact they thought it was, and it turned out not to be, is concerning. It raises doubts whether the same team can actually fix it...esp when they seem unable to bake in years-old stuff like CarPlay, SXM, etc.

How tolerant any individual should be of the "glitches" is very subjective. A lot of owners here have had Teslas, and should be taken at their word that they saw all this coming (been there/done that). I also think it's very fair for those who've never owned an EV to feel suckered into being a beta-tester.

Many will disagree, but my sense (a not-yet-owner) is that they rushed to market before the product was ready...wouldn't be the first time, esp in the tech space

Ever heard of Microsoft Windows?

Then let's hope Different + Better....

I think just regional differences will make software impossible to make perfect.

That’s the hope. :)

Yes

It may be that I am blessed with the wonderful ability to comprehend written language, but what he said was that it was one of many updates coming. That means "a series of updates". And that series of updates that is planned is going to happen within weeks.

We have absolutely had a series of updates. Satellite maps and traffic came out. Lots of smaller incremental updates came out in preparation for this "big one". It's only been 4 weeks and we've had how many OTAs? Obviously it's coming...

I don't understand you guys sometimes. Why you have to be so cynical to the point of taking personal offense to a teaser tweet, I will never comprehend.

You can sit there and say "oh this is what happens when I complain on the forums, I get raked over the coals for it", but that's not really what happened here. What happened here is that a Lucid employee who has a track record of posting update teasers shortly before they come out has posted another teaser, and the only reaction you could think of was "dismissive cynicism".

Agreed. It's a material possession.

I think it's a bit more vexing: surely they wouldn't release software they knew wasn't stable..so the fact they thought it was, and it turned out not to be, is concerning. It raises doubts whether the same team can actually fix it...esp when they seem unable to bake in years-old stuff like CarPlay, SXM, etc.

How tolerant any individual should be of the "glitches" is very subjective. A lot of owners here have had Teslas, and should be taken at their word that they saw all this coming (been there/done that). I also think it's very fair for those who've never owned an EV to feel suckered into being a beta-tester.

Many will disagree, but my sense (a not-yet-owner) is that they rushed to market before the product was ready...wouldn't be the first time, esp in the tech space
Even Apple has update issues (and any other company that sells hardware coupled with software). The latest IOS 16 caused the camera on the new iPhone 14 to shake the camera when using Tiktok and 16.0.2 has caused some phones to brick. It is very difficult for developers to screen every scenario and that is why it's critical to perform updates in batches (limited numbers, models, regional, etc.) so that potential issues can be addressed before the entire assets out there have the issue.

With CarPlay, Apple's current CarPlay only handles fixed screens sizes and if the manufacturer does not have a screen size that fits into one of the fixed sizes of CarPlay then you may not have the entire CarPlay displayed properly on the screen. Lucid's screens are unique and I don't think the current version of CarPlay will work. The next generation CarPlay will be adaptive and work with virtually all screen sizes since it will no longer have fixed screen sizes and will conform to the screen size of the infotainment system. Right now, this won't be available until later in 2023. If Lucid does rollout CarPlay now it will more than likely look awkward as it relates to the rest of the infotainment system and may only reside in the lower console screen.

As far as being "suckered" into being a beta tester, I don't understand why people believe that a completely new car company with its first offering are setting expectations that just because car cost a lot of money it will be perfect out the gate (and those that believe that are the suckers).

Some things cannot be fixed easily. For example, my coworker has a Model 3 and has been one of the very early users granted FSD. He has already had a mishap on his driveway using FSD, every update seems to fix one issue but creates new issues - those are true beta testers since they opted to use FSD clearly marked as beta. What cannot be fixed with the current Tesla is the turning of the car from angled intersections or intersections that are obstructed by a car or tree, Tesla's cameras cannot see out and therefore creeps forward and sometimes goes in the wrong direction or tries to go out and finally notices an oncoming car and then alarms you to take over. The way to fix this is to have a camera more forward on each side of the fender to see oncoming traffic.

If I were buying an EV from Tesla, Mercedes, Ford, BMW, etc. (established automakers) I would definitely expect a lot more. EVs from Lucid, Rivian, Fisker, Faraday, etc., I am making the choice to purchase something that is work in progress.

If anyone is concerned or upset by the software rollout and have not ordered your car, just don't order it until maybe a year or two down the road once the software is more stabilized and to your liking.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Even Apple has update issues (and any other company that sells hardware coupled with software). The latest IOS 16 caused the camera on the new iPhone 14 to shake the camera when using Tiktok and 16.0.2 has caused some phones to brick. It is very difficult for developers to screen every scenario and that is why it's critical to perform updates in batches (limited numbers, models, regional, etc.) so that potential issues can be addressed before the entire assets out there have the issue.

With CarPlay, Apple's current CarPlay only handles fixed screens sizes and if the manufacturer does not have a screen size that fits into one of the fixed sizes of CarPlay then you may not have the entire CarPlay displayed properly on the screen. Lucid's screens are unique and I don't think the current version of CarPlay will work. The next generation CarPlay will be adaptive and work with virtually all screen sizes since it will no longer have fixed screen sizes and will conform to the screen size of the infotainment system. Right now, this won't be available until later in 2023. If Lucid does rollout CarPlay now it will more than likely look awkward as it relates to the rest of the infotainment system and may only reside in the lower console screen.

As far as being "suckered" into being a beta tester, I don't understand why people believe that a completely new car company with its first offering are setting expectations that just because car cost a lot of money it will be perfect out the gate (and those that believe that are the suckers).

Some things cannot be fixed easily. For example, my coworker has a Model 3 and has been one of the very early users granted FSD. He has already has a mishap in his driveway using FSD, every update seems fix one issue but creates new issues - those are true beta testers since they opted to use FSD clearly marked as beta. What cannot be fixed with the current Tesla is the turning of the car from angles intersections or intersections that are obstructed by a car or tree, Tesla's cameras cannot see out and therefore creeps forward and sometimes goes in the wrong direction or tries to go out and finally notices an oncoming car and then alarms you to take over. The way to fix this is to have a camera more forward on each side of the fender to see oncoming traffic.

If I were buying an EV from Tesla, Mercedes, Ford, BMW, etc. (established automakers) I would definitely expect a lot more. EVs from Lucid, Rivian, Fisker, Faraday, etc., I am making the choice to purchase something that is work in progress.

If anyone is concerned or upset by the software rollout and have not ordered your car, just don't order it until maybe a year or two down the road once the software is more stabilized and to your liking.

Just my two cents.

Well said

One interesting tidbit regarding Apple CarPlay. The tech made a comment about that on his visit to me a couple weeks ago. Take this with a grain of salt though as it really doesn't help expectations too much. He said that Lucid was done with "it" on their end and just waiting for an update from Apple that would allow multiple screens (maybe varying shapes) and that this update was, wait for it, "coming soon from Apple".

Based on my experience with Nav this past weekend, I can see why some are anxiously awaiting CarPlay. I hardly ever use NAV, but there are times like last weekend where it is necessary. Having the car think I was not where I was and giving me directions from some place I wasn't while my wife was in the car did not help.

I am a numbers guy and quite detailed, drives my wife crazy when I have to interject specifics into her generalities. She is late and I am an "on-time if five minutes early" kind of person. So, words like "soon" sometimes drive me crazy as it is undefined. Does "soon " mean by the end of the month, next month, quarter, 1Q next year??? The marketing guys always drove me crazy with "oh, it will cost around XXXXXXXXXXX" when it was really 49% more than that so they wouldn't have to round up.

One interesting tidbit regarding Apple CarPlay. The tech made a comment about that on his visit to me a couple weeks ago. Take this with a grain of salt though as it really doesn't help expectations too much. He said that Lucid was done with "it" on their end and just waiting for an update from Apple that would allow multiple screens (maybe varying shapes) and that this update was, wait for it, "coming soon from Apple".

Based on my experience with Nav this past weekend, I can see why some are anxiously awaiting CarPlay. I hardly ever use NAV, but there are times like last weekend where it is necessary. Having the car think I was not where I was and giving me directions from some place I wasn't while my wife was in the car did not help.

I am a numbers guy and quite detailed, drives my wife crazy when I have to interject specifics into her generalities. She is late and I am an "on-time if five minutes early" kind of person. So, words like "soon" sometimes drive me crazy as it is undefined. Does "soon " mean by the end of the month, next month, quarter, 1Q next year??? The marketing guys always drove me crazy with "oh, it will cost around XXXXXXXXXXX" when it was really 49% more than that so they wouldn't have to round up.
Oh I believe it, maybe @joec Or @thecodingart can chime in on the validity of a statement like this.

How insulting can one be. I comprehend English very well!

I’m done here. @Joe / @hydbob - delete my account. I want nothing to do with this forum anymore. It appears I can’t delete it myself.

Maybe we should all just take a step back and realize we are arguing over philosophical differences in how we receive information. Our hearts are all in the right place, we want Lucid to succeed and deliver a great product. WOOSAH....WOOSAH

Everyone is discussing Apple CarPlay. What's the status of Android Auto? I am not dissing Apple, but some of us prefer Android. Any word on Lucid's relationship with Google and implementation of Android Auto?
Thanks,
Rich

I’m done here. @Joe / @hydbob - delete my account. I want nothing to do with this forum anymore. It appears I can’t delete it myself.

Just take some time away, remember there's NOTHING OFFICIAL about this forum.

Everyone is discussing Apple CarPlay. What's the status of Android Auto? I am not dissing Apple, but some of us prefer Android. Any word on Lucid's relationship with Google and implementation of Android Auto?
Thanks,
Rich

I don't have any apple products either, every time this comes up as "a solution" I'm always thinking that's rather one sided...

Seems instead something like hardwire USB should be a priority. Can't airplay work that way?

Otherwise, Lucid needs to buy me an iPhone.

Maybe we should all just take a step back and realize we are arguing over philosophical differences in how we receive information. Our hearts are all in the right place, we want Lucid to succeed and deliver a great product. WOOSAH....WOOSAH
I agree.

I remember my first few weeks here with a new GT that wasn’t drivable. I was angry and begged Lucid to take it away, only to find out there is no return policy. I decided to give it a chance once they fixed it and drove it side by side with my 2 year old Model S. I started with alternating days between them but after a couple weeks was only driving the Lucid. The Tesla software is worlds better, has features that make driving it a pleasure (like auto open/close garage door and very decent highway assist integrated with navigation). The Lucid not only doesn’t have those features yet, what it does have is actually a step backward from conventional cars in terms of garage door, lane keep, phone and navigation. Admittedly ACC is decent. But I chose to drive it over the Tesla.

I’m as hopeful as any here that an update is coming. But that is tempered by decades of experience with medical software/hardware companies promising features that are still vaporware to this day.

Honestly, I enjoy all of the banter and useful information. It’s just a car, and a nice diversion from my high stress, life and death profession.

I agree, hc_79 adds to the conversation. Please don’t delete the account.

Please don’t. You provide a lot of very useful information. Much of this stuff is just banter and is not intended as insults.

Oh I believe it, maybe @joec Or @thecodingart can chime in on the validity of a statement like this.
I think @thecodingart has more expertise in this area than I do. Having said that, what we do know for sure is next year sometime, Apple will be releasing their much-anticipated "big" update to CarPlay, which will allow complete customization of how information is displayed across multiple screens and such. In their presentation, they suggested a "late next year" release, which in Apple parlance usually means November or December, with the first cars to ship with the new CarPlay in early 2024.

There has been suggestion on this forum that perhaps some cars might be released with the new CarPlay before that, but 2024 is what Apple has disclosed publicly.

I doubt Lucid wants to wait until 2024 to make CarPlay available on the Air. That would be a looooong wait that would make current customers pretty upset.

Meanwhile, the current version of CarPlay can indeed be displayed on more than one screen. It's a bit more limited, as I think it can only have one screen that accepts touch, and the second is display only? (@thecodingart can correct me on that) But both interfaces would still need to be conformed to a rectangle of some sort. So the upper right cockpit screen could maybe display maps and such in a box, but you'd be controlling the main interface of CarPlay from the Pilot Panel below. I HOPE that is the plan, as I think that would be a perfectly acceptable temporary solution.

It's possible Lucid has gone that route in order to get something out before Apple releases their new CarPlay, and they ran into a bug or limitation that prevents them from doing something they'd like to do with it. In that case, it's perfectly believable they would be in contact with Apple, hoping to get a fix or enhancement that would allow them to get past that issue. Depending on their relationship with Apple, they may have even been promised a fix for that issue in some minor release of iOS 16. (They do have a prominent exec who has a 23-year relationship with Apple, so that can't hurt.) This may be what the rep was referring to.

Or, the rep could have heard something from one of Lucid's CarPlay team members that they misinterpreted. It happens.

Either way, it's encouraging to hear Lucid is taking CarPlay (and hopefully Android Auto) very seriously. That they want to do the best possible implementation.

Sorry to just refer to CarPlay. I really expect both to be around the same time so maybe a generic reference to both might be more appropriate. I really have not used either to a great extent, nor do I really know much about either. I just want my music and nav to work a bit better/reliably.

I know how Android users must feel when people default to CarPlay. I tend to glaze over and skip anything that references Tesla in any way, shape or form as I have no experience with Tesla, nor do I want a Tesla, nor do I view it as a comparison reference as I know nothing about it, nor do I care to.

Please don’t. You often provide very useful info, and are a great member! Sometimes wires get crossed, and sometimes people get emotional, but we’re all here with high hopes.

Please don’t. You often provide very useful info, and are a great member! Sometimes wires get crossed, and sometimes people get emotional, but we’re all here with high hopes.
I agree with Borski!! I'm of the strong opinion that the message we intend to send with our written words are not always what the reader takes away from it. I've had problems over the years communicating with my children via texting to the point I only use it with them for very brief informational purposes (time of meeting, place, etc.) and I avoid any content that could be emotional. Verbal communication is much better because you can hear the cadence and tone of the words but obviously that isn't an option with a Forum such as this one. So for my personal communications here I try to keep it to non-emotional subjects and stick to hopefully helpful information whenever possible.

How insulting can one be.

I agree. I'm finding it increasingly insulting that simply because I'm trying to interpret news and updates as objectively as possible, I can be accused of "defending" Lucid as though I'm some kind of illogical fanboy, and how by choosing to use logic to process something as innocent as a tweet, I'm somehow creating an environment where you think it's okay to say:

I'll shut up now because "we all should know what we got ourselves into"

You know what I'm sick of? I'm sick of the fact that on this forum, there are certain people that don't want to let anyone be excited or optimistic about anything. There are certain people who feel like they need to be the "Bring You Back Down To Earth" police, and on every single opportunity, they find ways to turn anything that could be remotely positive into cynical negativity.

Under the guise of "I'm just sharing my opinion for the benefit of others" or "I paid $$$ for this car therefore it's okay for me to be like this", an increasing number of people on this forum just want to bask in negativity, amplify perceived (and real, admittedly) failures of Lucid and the car, and "dump" on others whenever they feel like the conversation is getting too positive.

I don't want a forum where we all put on horse blinders and stick our fingers in our ears when there's problems. But the cynicism in every single thread is starting to get really, really tiring. Was a I bit snarky in my reply to you before? Yes. Yes, I was. Can you understand my frustrations though?

Like me, you should take breaks from the forum and take some time to just enjoy your car for what it is instead of what it could be. If you really want to leave the forum, that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back