New Lucid Video: Wunderbox

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
This is early...... normally they don't come until after some bad news has been released in order to re-direct peoples attention 😂

Give them some credit, they are young and trying. Luxury market is not easy to be pleased. 😂

That mother board is a exact duplicate to the inside of my front gate remote!

Give them some credit, they are young and trying. Luxury market is not easy to be pleased. 😂
I actually like the videos. I think they're quite informative but i'm a tech guy so this stuff interests me. Not sure how many luxury owners will find these valuable but they're interesting for sure. The Wunderbox and the tech behind it seems to be something Lucid is very proud of so definitely interested to here more about this. It's also good to see that Peter won't be doing all these videos also and getting a bit of variety.

So when are those V2V adapters available? First time I have seen it. Looks like you just swap out the pliug end with that. Should not take them long to have that available. I have been wanting that to charge the Leaf during peak time as the range isn’t as good and sometimes it runs low during the day.

The WunderWhyMyFanRunsAlltheTimeBox.
I live in hot Arizona and my car is a PHEV (BMW 530e). My garage is not air conditioned although it does not have a lot of exterior walls and I did have the garage door insulated. But the temperature in the garage (east facing) does get into the 90s regularly. I plug in my car from the 240 box and while it is charging (from empty it takes about 2 hours) I will often hear the AC turn on the cool the batteries, sometimes a couple of times.

I would be more worried if Lucid didn't cool the batteries while charging or preparing to charge.

With their thermal management on the batteries, I expect that they will last a lot longer than others. The real key is keeping the temperature optimized. Heat is a killer on the battery.

I live in hot Arizona and my car is a PHEV (BMW 530e). My garage is not air conditioned although it does not have a lot of exterior walls and I did have the garage door insulated. But the temperature in the garage (east facing) does get into the 90s regularly. I plug in my car from the 240 box and while it is charging (from empty it takes about 2 hours) I will often hear the AC turn on the cool the batteries, sometimes a couple of times.

I would be more worried if Lucid didn't cool the batteries while charging or preparing to charge.
If your garage has multiple interior walls, you might have existing ductwork aside or above it. If your air-conditioning system is big enough to handle it, oftentimes an additional register and return can be put into the garage itself.

If your garage has multiple interior walls, you might have existing ductwork aside or above it. If your air-conditioning system is big enough to handle it, oftentimes an additional register and return can be put into the garage itself.
I know. That thought has occurred to me. My home was a model home and the builder had his showroom in the two car part of the garage and two offices in what would have been the third bay. When he finished building, I asked him to leave the two offices when he converted the space back to a garage. So there is ductwork running from the air handler (which is in an air handler closet in the garage) right through the garage to the two offices (one for my wife; one for me) I have a 5 ton unit for my first floor so that probably has enough capacity although I would have to ask.

I would be hesitant to do that though as I would worry about how much AC I lose every time I open the garage door.

But the point to my post is that if one is in a hot area, it is good that Lucid is running the battery cooling system.

This was a good video with at least two pieces of good information:

- The DC to DC boost capability is limited to 50kW (two 25kW circuits). This is important the discussion around using Tesla Superchargers unless Tesla increases the voltage of their chargers, the Lucid will be limited to 50kW.

- The bidirectional output V2X is AC. This is different than the Ford backup power system that is DC out with the DC to AC converter in the Ford wall charger. It likley makes the Lucid solution a bit less expensive than the Ford solution.

This was a good video with at least two pieces of good information:

- The DC to DC boost capability is limited to 50kW (two 25kW circuits). This is important the discussion around using Tesla Superchargers unless Tesla increases the voltage of their chargers, the Lucid will be limited to 50kW.

- The bidirectional output V2X is AC. This is different than the Ford backup power system that is DC out with the DC to AC converter in the Ford wall charger. It likley makes the Lucid solution a bit less expensive than the Ford solution.
Interesting. I am not up on the electrical engineering side of things. About how fast would you get, say, 100 miles out of a Tesla charger, then, at only 50 kW?

Interesting. I am not up on the electrical engineering side of things. About how fast would you get, say, 100 miles out of a Tesla charger, then, at only 50 kW?
Let's assume your car averages 3.2mi/kWh (this varies by wheel size and DE versus GT and driving style). That implies the need to add 31.3kWhr to the battery. Assuming 85% charging efficiency, you will need about 37 kWhr into the car which would take about 45 minutes. Not terrible if nothing else is available.

Let's assume your car averages 3.2mi/kWh (this varies by wheel size and DE versus GT and driving style). That implies the need to add 31.3kWhr to the battery. Assuming 85% charging efficiency, you will need about 37 kWhr into the car which would take about 45 minutes. Not terrible if nothing else is available.
Thanks. Not terrible. Certainly good in a pinch. But given you’d have to pay whatever rates Tesla wants, you’re much better off with EA until your three years of free charging is up, I guess. Unless any EA charger nearby is broken or being used.

I wonder if Tesla will do anything with their chargers other than changing out the cable, knowing this? In other words, will they start to see their network as less of a “perk” for Tesla owners, and more of a profit center for the company?

I am curious, for instance, if they will leave some chargers at some locations as “Tesla Only” and add some additional or convert just some of the existing ones for use with other cars?

Anything is possible, I suppose. Depending on Elon’s whims.

Interestingly the Taycan does a better job at this. standard is 70Kw I believe and for an upgraded inverter you can go to 100Kw.

It's possible that Tesla's V4 chargers will be 1000V capable on their CCS port wheil remaining at 500V max on the Tesla port. Time will tell.

We'll definitely need to find out whose CCS charging stations are only capable of 500V. Likely Chargepoint 50kW stalls, but who else?

Man the V2V! We also need a V2 whatever the Ioniq 5 calls it where you can power a 110 and 220 off the plug

Man the V2V! We also need a V2 whatever the Ioniq 5 calls it where you can power a 110 and 220 off the plug
I was surprised you can bring an electric cooking stove to camping with Ioniq5. 😂

Back