New feature request when driving with full charged SOC

PCorkett

Cars
Dream Edition
DE Number
As everyone is probably aware if you charge the LUCID to 100% SOC you will temporarily loose the regenerative braking when lifting the throttle until the battery is drained sufficiently to have capacity to draw power back in. This can be quite disconcerting when you have regen set to high and are accustomed to one pedal driving.

Apparently on Tesla vehicles (perhaps other EVs as well) a warning message is displayed on the dash to give the driver the heads up to anticipate the need to use brake pedal.

At first I was thinking to myself LUCID should do the same. But I think Lucid should do one better.

Here’s the idea:

When SOC is 100% and regen is set to high the car should automatically ease on the physical brakes at a rate that will emulate the high regen braking that is experienced when lifting the throttle pedal. This way the driver is never caught off guard by a change in the regen. Once the battery is sufficiently drained the feature is automatically disabled.

What do you think?

Funny, while I was doing testing EPA today from 100% SOC, I didn’t experience any regen brake issue or perhaps I was driving too slow to notice it. My driving tonight was 35 miles distance, never once had I use brake pedal. EV car is just way better than ICE car in energy waste prevention.

I think the likeliness of noticing it really depends on the manner you happening to be driving immediately after a full charge and the road you pull out on to. I first noticed it when I left the charger and almost immediately entered an on ramp. I started speeding up then the light changed so I started to raise the accelerator like I normally do but I wasn’t slowing down. By no means any sort of crisis, because it’s not like one forgets to use the brake, but I like the idea of consistency in the driving profile, and I really like one pedal driving. With the AC going and a few quick starts the battery drains quickly enough that the high regen returns on in no time. so it doesn’t happen for long nor very often. Still though, I’d like it to not happen at all.

As everyone is probably aware if you charge the LUCID to 100% SOC you will temporarily loose the regenerative braking when lifting the throttle until the battery is drained sufficiently to have capacity to draw power back in. This can be quite disconcerting when you have regen set to high and are accustomed to one pedal driving.

Apparently on Tesla vehicles (perhaps other EVs as well) a warning message is displayed on the dash to give the driver the heads up to anticipate the need to use brake pedal.

At first I was thinking to myself LUCID should do the same. But I think Lucid should do one better.

Here’s the idea:

When SOC is 100% and regen is set to high the car should automatically ease on the physical brakes at a rate that will emulate the high regen braking that is experienced when lifting the throttle pedal. This way the driver is never caught off guard by a change in the regen. Once the battery is sufficiently drained the feature is automatically disabled.

What do you think?
Great idea. Make it an option so you can turn it off if you don't like it.

Or turn off regen between 95% to 100% so it’s brakes only at the top 5%

How about a 1% slack for lack of a better term. It says 100% to the user, but in reality it’s only at 99%. Therefore the 1% remaining will allow for regen to be functional.
That might be the simplest approach. It can then be an option “Retain max regen” on the slider for selecting charge capacity. If you drag the slider past that point you won’t have regen initially when you drive off, as long as you stay below it you’re good. (I know this is super minor thing, but it’s fun thinking up ways to solve it.)

The app now allows you to set SOC% by 1% increments, so just set it to 99%. My car gives full regen if charged to 99%, or at least it did the two times I charged that high.
Ya. So the idea would be to mention it on the same display.

Here’s the idea:

What do you think?
Polestar and Tesla have the option to do as described- basically blending the brakes and regen braking so in theory the user experience is the same whether you are at 10% or 100% SOC.

I haven’t experienced either so don’t know how seamless this is, but haven’t seen complaints (although I think most people may never charge to 100%).

The app now allows you to set SOC% by 1% increments, so just set it to 99%. My car gives full regen if charged to 99%, or at least it did the two times I charged that high.
I just noticed that. I always wanted that detail % SOC charge set like Tesla does. Not sure which version they changed it? That is very cool new setting. Is it Mobile 1.19 new feature? I couldn’t find it in release note.

Yeah the feature must have been in 1.19, just not in the release notes, because I do remember in 1.18 it didn’t give you individual percentages. What’s funny is the app is ahead of the car software, as the charging screen in the car still doesn’t give incremental percentage SOC% options, just daily or range and anything else is just guessing with the slider.

Showing the exact percentage number for charging as you adjust is new and much appreciated.

They could add a shunt circuit, that shunts the regen power to ground when it’s not required. It’s a hardware fix.They probably felt bad wasting the power, and chose to modify the braking instead.

Back