• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Music Streaming Quality

experiment458

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Dream P
DE Number
So I started doing some research into the music quality on the Lucid Air and discovered something interesting. When using Tidal via the built-in application, the stream is limited to 320kbps. However, if you use Alexa to play the same song via Tidal, it seams to play at max quality > 1411kbps. This applies to other services as well, Tidal, Amazon Music, etc. If you play the same song using each method, the version playing via Alexa is noticeably better quality. My guess is Lucid limits the stream quality with the built in application so they do not use as much data but is not able to with Alexa. Thoughts? https://lucid324632209.wordpress.com/.../24/media-overview/

Last edited:
So I started doing some research into the music quality on the Lucid Air and discovered something interesting. When using Tidal via the built-in application, the stream is limited to 320kbps. However, if you use Alexa to play the same song via Tidal, it seams to play at max quality > 1411kbps. This applies to other services as well, Apple Music, Amazon Music, etc. If you play the same song using each method, the version playing via Alexa is noticeably better quality. My guess is Lucid limits the stream quality with the built in application so they do not use as much data but is not able to with Alexa. Thoughts? https://lucid324632209.wordpress.com/.../24/media-overview/
So I have been using the built in Tidal app with Dolby Atmos recordings and when it is working properly it does sound quite good. Are you saying you are able to use Alexa to "stream" Apple Music? I have a "Playlist" on Apple Music with around 1400 Dolby Atmos recordings but I haven't been able to get the Dolby Atmos effect because I've been using it via Bluetooth. If there is a way to directly stream Apple Music using Alexa I would really like to know how to do it? Please provide step by step instructions if this is in fact possible.

So I have been using the built in Tidal app with Dolby Atmos recordings and when it is working properly it does sound quite good. Are you saying you are able to use Alexa to "stream" Apple Music? I have a "Playlist" on Apple Music with around 1400 Dolby Atmos recordings but I haven't been able to get the Dolby Atmos effect because I've been using it via Bluetooth. If there is a way to directly stream Apple Music using Alexa I would really like to know how to do it? Please provide step by step instructions if this is in fact possible.
Okay I read the attachment you had in your posting but I guess I don't know how to use Alexa to play Dolby Atmos recordings on Apple Music???

Okay I read the attachment you had in your posting but I guess I don't know how to use Alexa to play Dolby Atmos recordings on Apple Music???
Hey sorry I just tested Apple Music with Alexa and it says it’s not currently supported in this device :/ just Spotify, Tidal, and Amazon Music

Hey sorry I just tested Apple Music with Alexa and it says it’s not currently supported in this device :/ just Spotify, Tidal, and Amazon Music
Okay so I have Amazon Music through my Prime membership. It is the basic Alexa service so I'm not sure if it includes Dolby Atmos recordings? Anyway, how do you stream Amazon Music using Alexa in the car? Also how do you stream Tidal at the higher kbps rate using Alexa? I do have Tidal connected and it works okay but according to your article it appears if I use Alexa with Tidal I will get a much higher streaming rate, correct?

Okay so I have Amazon Music through my Prime membership. It is the basic Alexa service so I'm not sure if it includes Dolby Atmos recordings? Anyway, how do you stream Amazon Music using Alexa in the car? Also how do you stream Tidal at the higher kbps rate using Alexa? I do have Tidal connected and it works okay but according to your article it appears if I use Alexa with Tidal I will get a much higher streaming rate, correct?
For UltraHD, you have to be subscribed to Amazon Music Unlimited. As for linking the accounts through Alexa, here is my guide: https://lucid324632209.wordpress.com/2022/04/24/alexa/

Didn’t know you could do this. Thanks for the guide!

I got all excited for a minute and linked SiriusXM but even though it says it’s playing SiriusXM in the car it’s just silence

I got all excited for a minute and linked SiriusXM but even though it says it’s playing SiriusXM in the car it’s just silence
Haha that would have been awesome. You can play through Bluetooth right?

Dude this works! It’s now playing Tidal master quality tracks via Alexa, it sounds noticeably better than the native Tidal app. This forum rocks! I hate having to use voice commands to control it, but I’m getting used to it.
Maybe you could clue me in about this - how is the on-screen display different between playing Tidal through Alexa and playing directly using the Tidal app in the car?

Maybe you could clue me in about this - how is the on-screen display different between playing Tidal through Alexa and playing directly using the Tidal app in the car?
I did try this and set up the Alexa app on my iPhone to connect Tidal. However, when I use Alexa to request a recording even saying "Alexa Play Tom Sawyer by Rush Dolby Atmos" it doesn't play the Dolby Atmos version, or at least the Dolby Atmos doesn't light up on the display. Yet when I play it directly from my "Playlist" using the built in Tidal app it does light up on the display and it sounds better.

I think the command would be "Alexa play Tom Sawyer by Rush on Tidal" . But I think the main difference is getting Alexa to play higher bitrate versions rather than the built-in Tidal app which limits the bitrate

I think the command would be "Alexa play Tom Sawyer by Rush on Tidal" . But I think the main difference is getting Alexa to play higher bitrate versions rather than the built-in Tidal app which limits the bitrate
I think the summary of this whole discussion is that when your cellular data connection is spotty, the bitrate is more restricted on apps other than Alexa (?)

Yeah but the problem with that command is you don't get the Dolby Atmos version. I guess what I'd like is to get the higher bit rate and also have the Dolby Atmos effect.

I think the summary of this whole discussion is that when your cellular data connection is spotty, the bitrate is more restricted on apps other than Alexa (?)
Perhaps. But I don't know how to determine what is the actual bitrate being received??

Yeah but the problem with that command is you don't get the Dolby Atmos version. I guess what I'd like is to get the higher bit rate and also have the Dolby Atmos effect.
Yea I think this workaround is for the songs that aren't encoded in Dolby in the Tidal app.

So I started doing some research into the music quality on the Lucid Air and discovered something interesting. When using Tidal via the built-in application, the stream is limited to 320kbps. However, if you use Alexa to play the same song via Tidal, it seams to play at max quality > 1411kbps. This applies to other services as well, Tidal, Amazon Music, etc. If you play the same song using each method, the version playing via Alexa is noticeably better quality. My guess is Lucid limits the stream quality with the built in application so they do not use as much data but is not able to with Alexa. Thoughts? https://lucid324632209.wordpress.com/.../24/media-overview/
While I don't own a Lucid Air yet, I'm not sure I'd ever want to use an app from the car for audio. I use an Onkyo DP-X1 which can play Tidal Master Files and convert MQA which I'm pretty sure Lucid cannot do. If Lucid's Bluetooth supports the Qualcomm aptX standard, the sound quality through Bluetooth streaming should be very good. You can only get the Onkyo DP-X1 used now through sites like eBay, but an alternative would be any of the Digital Audio Players (DAP) made by Astell&Kern. There are many other DAPs on the market too. I think Sony still makes one or two of them. I've ripped my entire old CD library using DP Poweramp into FLAC files and put the music files on micro SDXC cards I slide into the DAP. But must of these DAPs can work with the major music streaming services. If the ultimate sound quality is important to you consider this option. It will certainly be the best sound. The DACs and processing power in these DAP will be far superior to anything a car maker will supply.

Back