hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Although I can still play Tidal music in the Air by keying in selections, I can no longer access Tidal through Alexa voice commands. When I try, I get a voice prompt telling me to go into my Alexa mobile app to reestablish the connection. When I ask Siri to open the Alexa app, I get a voice response saying the app cannot be opened while the phone is in the car. When I open the Alexa mobile app while in the car by keying it in, it does open but then gives me a message that the "Tidal connection has expired". When I open the Alexa mobile app outside the car, I get a prompt to "Link to Tidal" by going into "settings". When I do that, I get a prompt saying my Alexa app needs updating. I can find nowhere in the app to do an update.

How the deuce do you restore a connection between Alexa and Tidal?

Although I can still play Tidal music in the Air by keying in selections, I can no longer access Tidal through Alexa voice commands. When I try, I get a voice prompt telling me to go into my Alexa mobile app to reestablish the connection. When I ask Siri to open the Alexa app, I get a voice response saying the app cannot be opened while the phone is in the car. When I open the Alexa mobile app while in the car by keying it in, it does open but then gives me a message that the "Tidal connection has expired". When I open the Alexa mobile app outside the car, I get a prompt to "Link to Tidal" by going into "settings". When I do that, I get a prompt saying my Alexa app needs updating. I can find nowhere in the app to do an update.

How the deuce do you restore a connection between Alexa and Tidal?
Redownload the newest Alexa app through the App Store.

I just uninstalled and re-installed Alexa for the second time on my iPhone. Once again, when I tried to link Tidal I got the message "Unable to link accounts. Your Alexa app needs an update."

I've been going back and forth with Tidal customer service for four days. (They have no phone number. You can only communicate with them through e-mail, with each response taking almost 24 hours, so it's excruciatingly slow.). I'm on the verge of canceling my Tidal subscription, as I'm so frustrated with this.

Here is the most recent list of questions they sent me and my answers to them:

- What is the exact model of your Alexa device?

My mobile is an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS version 17.4.1. My car that is running Alexa is a 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition running software version 2.1.62.

- What is the exact version of TIDAL running on your device?

- When did you first notice this issue? Did this happen after an OS update? Or did this happen after a TIDAL version update?

A week ago. Both have been updated recently.

- Do you have this issue when using any other TIDAL client - desktop application/web player/mobile application?

No. I can still play Tidal in my car by opening the Tidal app on my screen and then manually picking a selection. Tidal was my default streaming source on Alexa, but Alexa voice commands will no longer open Tidal or make selections from Tidal.

- Does this happen with other streaming services?

No. Alexa now defaults either to Spotify or Amazon Music, both of which are still working with Alexa.

@hmp10 a few things, most of which are repeats and “dumb” but just covering the bases.

The version of tidal on your phone is irrelevant, as is the car. Has nothing to do with any of that, as you may already know.

I’m on an iPhone 15 Pro also running 17.4.1. Because I’m a masochist, I just went and unlinked and relinked Tidal just to make sure it works - I had no issues.

Here are the screenshots of what I did. I assume you did the same, but worth confirming.

IMG_8501.jpegIMG_8502.jpegIMG_8503.jpegIMG_8504.png

Just in case, I checked my version of the Alexa app:

IMG_8505.jpeg

Can you post some screenshots of what’s going on for you? I assume you’ve tried signing out of and back into Alexa?

When you link, it pops open a Safari webview from inside the Alexa app and you log in through the web interface; that’s why your version of the Tidal app doesn’t matter.

Also worth noting Tidal *did* just release a new version (2.110.0) with “bug fixes and performance improvements” (of course, lol) so maybe try updating that again too, even though I have absolutely no idea why that would make any iota of difference.

Thanks, Borski. I've deleted and reloaded both my Alexa and Tidal apps but am still having the problem. Here are screen shots of what happens on my phone:

Here's the Alexa screen used to Link New Service:

IMG_2077.PNG

I select "Tidal" and then get this screen, telling me the link between accounts has expired and to click "Settings":

IMG_2078.PNG

I then go to "Settings" and get this:

IMG_2080.PNG

I then log in, and my account opens up, whereupon I get this:

IMG_2081.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2078.PNG
    IMG_2078.PNG
    273.1 KB · Views: 12
Borski, I noticed you went in through "Skills & Games" to access the Tidal link, whereas I went in through "Music & Podcasts". I just tried going in through "Skills & Games" but still got the same failure-to-link notices.

Never mind. I've canceled my Tidal subscription.

I refuse to pay for a service that, after four days of back of forth vie email and automated chat, still will not make a human available to resolve a technical issue despite my asking.

Never mind. I've canceled my Tidal subscription.

I refuse to pay for a service that, after four days of back of forth vie email and automated chat, still will not make a human available to resolve a technical issue despite my asking.
I assume you've tried *disabling* the Tidal link before relinking as well?

This is also really dumb @hmp10 but when you go into "More" -> "Settings" -> "Alexa App Settings" is your language explicitly set to English? Someone on Reddit reported that that fixed it for them.

Otherwise, I'm pretty out of ideas. <3

This is also really dumb @hmp10 but when you go into "More" -> "Settings" -> "Alexa App Settings" is your language explicitly set to English? Someone on Reddit reported that that fixed it for them.

I checked after seeing your post. Yep, it was set to English explicit. Also, after digging through more menus I finally found a feature for signing into Tidal through my Amazon ID. I tried that, but Tidal still would not link to Alexa.

I assume you've tried *disabling* the Tidal link before relinking as well?

Yep, that, too. We went to dinner with a friend who runs an IT help desk for a software development firm. He was able to log into my Tidal account on his Android phone and link Alexa to Tidal. But he had the same experience using my iPhone that I did. We reloaded the Alexa and Tidal apps in the car and on the phone, rebooted the phone, checked it again for updates, were sure all cookies were accepted, etc. Still the same result: Tidal would play in the car with manual selections made on the Pilot Screen, but it would not respond to Alexa commands, although Spotify and Amazon Music would.

After one last round of reaching out to Tidal customer service, I got yet another "we'll respond within 24 hours" answer. So I've canceled my Tidal account and upped my Amazon Music account to "unlimited", which brings Atmos -- which was the main reason I had Tidal set as my default streamer, anyway.

Although it's not strictly a matter of money, on principle I will not pay for a service that provides no customer support for such issues.

Thanks much, though, for taking the time to try to help me work this out.

I hear you. Tidal support has always sucked. If the Lucid had first-party support for Atmos via Apple Music, my Tidal sub might be dead in a heartbeat.

but it doesn't, so here we are. :)

Back