Motortrend's yearlong Air review ends!

Lots of praise for the car, but there were also some bugs that I assume were earlier. Still an overall positive review in my eyes!
Not sure I’d agree that it’s still an overall positive review. While I can say I’ve owned many cars and the Lucid is still my favorite, I find it very hard to look past fundamental flaws like vehicle entry (i.e. unlocking) that is so inconsistent and unpredictable. It gets old standing outside your vehicle for many seconds hoping it will detect the key and open. This is also a black eye for the brand when the automotive press review the vehicle and they all consistently experience this problem. I do hope Lucid can get these kinds of flaws resolved with Gravity.

Latest Motor Trend review of electricity: what is it? how does it work ?

These writers discovered ... a battery loses charge when you use it.

1709300639227.jpeg

1709300443228.jpeg

Here is my one-year, 12000 mile review:

" I love this car." "I'm going to get another."

I tend to agree with ChatGPT, which suggests the article leans towards being mixed or slightly negative. Fortunately seems that most of the issues are items that have or can be addressed via OTA updates.

Positive aspects of the Lucid Air include its powerful performance, luxurious cabin, practicality, exclusivity, and relatively low charging costs. The car is praised for its impressive range and driving dynamics, making it a standout option in its class.

However, the article also points out numerous reliability issues and bugs experienced during ownership, including problems with the steering wheel, key fob connectivity, power loss, error messages, and various other technical glitches. These issues, along with poor charging experiences and some design flaws, detract from the overall ownership experience.

Overall, while the Lucid Air is celebrated for its innovation and beauty, the tone of the article leans towards being mixed or slightly negative due to the significant reliability concerns raised.

I’ve said for a long time that I’m unsure if Lucids software is ready for mass adoption… reviews like this prove the point I was trying to make. I don’t think this review helped Lucids image. And if 20 sites came out with the same type of review, it could really sink the trust of most potential customers.

It’s also a bummer that I have faced a lot of the fit and finish issues that luckily were fixed but it took a couple of attempts.

I am hopeful that Lucid will fix some of the bugs in software but not optimistic for some other issues pointed out in the article.

I haven't been told to buy a faraday pouch by Lucid, but if they did I would laugh at them. That's an unacceptable workaround for a poorly designed entry system.

I love my car, but "use a faraday pouch to store your key" is ridiculous.

I use the Faraday Pouch and have not had any more issues with respect to the fob battery draining, but I agree, it is ridiculous to even consider that requirement. As far as the assumption that silence equates to "no complaints", that would be a big mistake for Lucid to believe that ASSumption. I have plenty of complaints, but I have gotten to a point where I just accept the shortcomings and live with the fact that the car is great fun to drive, but has it's faults. It's is absurd to have something happen and just be complacent with "perform this reset" or just "delete your phone and re-add it" or any of the other workarounds that competitors just do not have. Peter R has said many times that the S-Class was his benchmark. Well, he still has room for improvement if that is the case.

I had a Lucid service tech once tell me that he thought they just tried to do too much and ended up making things that had worked just fine for others more High tech, ended up making things more buggy in hopes of being too innovative. I believe they will sort things out over time for the better, but probably not for my car.

My biggest complaint is the access and the inconsistency in the car unlocking. I, too often, walk up to the car and have to wait for it to unlock, or I have to take my phone out and open it (not the app, just the phone, big pain at times. It just doesn't work as well as any other car I have owned recently, including some older models.

Apparently the key fob signal messes with my brain and short term memory function, ‘cause since I’ve been using a stylish Faraday pouch I’ve not misplaced my keys :) . Shops working on my car haven’t lost my key either, which has happened in the past, as it is not mixed about with other black fobs. Also, as soon as I remove the key fob from the pouch and double click, the car has responded every time.

I’ve gotten used to it but having friends or family stand there while i try to get my car to unlock is…embarrassing at best.

Combine that with the um, quirky software, really hard to recommend it to other people.

I use the Faraday Pouch and have not had any more issues with respect to the fob battery draining, but I agree, it is ridiculous to even consider that requirement. As far as the assumption that silence equates to "no complaints", that would be a big mistake for Lucid to believe that ASSumption. I have plenty of complaints, but I have gotten to a point where I just accept the shortcomings and live with the fact that the car is great fun to drive, but has it's faults. It's is absurd to have something happen and just be complacent with "perform this reset" or just "delete your phone and re-add it" or any of the other workarounds that competitors just do not have. Peter R has said many times that the S-Class was his benchmark. Well, he still has room for improvement if that is the case.

I had a Lucid service tech once tell me that he thought they just tried to do too much and ended up making things that had worked just fine for others more High tech, ended up making things more buggy in hopes of being too innovative. I believe they will sort things out over time for the better, but probably not for my car.

My biggest complaint is the access and the inconsistency in the car unlocking. I, too often, walk up to the car and have to wait for it to unlock, or I have to take my phone out and open it (not the app, just the phone, big pain at times. It just doesn't work as well as any other car I have owned recently, including some older models.

Generally the doors to my Lucid only experience “performance anxiety” when I’m trying to show it off and impress people. Especially people who are determined to remain unimpressed.

I had my antennas replaced and now my doors unlock and open every single time as long as I keep the fob in my pocket and the batteries pretty fresh. In fact, it’s been so reliable that my girlfriend even noticed and brought it up this weekend.

I have a strong hunch that the revisions made over these past two years have made huge strides on fixing the issue. I wish they would have had a proactive outreach though to do some damage control with current owners.

My phone key is still pretty bad but I’m content with carrying the fob since its been working flawlessly.

I had my antennas replaced and now my doors unlock and open every single time as long as I keep the fob in my pocket and the batteries pretty fresh. In fact, it’s been so reliable that my girlfriend even noticed and brought it up this weekend.

I have a strong hunch that the revisions made over these past two years have made huge strides on fixing the issue. I wish they would have had a proactive outreach though to do some damage control with current owners.

My phone key is still pretty bad but I’m content with carrying the fob since its been working flawlessly.
So glad to hear this. I've suspected a lot of people who are having issues with their fobs are in fact having antennae issues. Of course, service would prefer to always try and fix everything with software. But sometimes, it really is a hardware problem.

Not sure I’d agree that it’s still an overall positive review. While I can say I’ve owned many cars and the Lucid is still my favorite, I find it very hard to look past fundamental flaws like vehicle entry (i.e. unlocking) that is so inconsistent and unpredictable. It gets old standing outside your vehicle for many seconds hoping it will detect the key and open. This is also a black eye for the brand when the automotive press review the vehicle and they all consistently experience this problem. I do hope Lucid can get these kinds of flaws resolved with Gravity.
The best way to ensure consistent lock unlock performance, is to disable all proximity features, and just use the key fob as a normal key fob. It works every time, and seems to at a better distance. Just hit the button a bit early as you're walking towards the car.

The best way to ensure consistent lock unlock performance, is to disable all proximity features, and just use the key fob as a normal key fob. It works every time, and seems to at a better distance. Just hit the button a bit early as you're walking towards the car.
That's archaic. Keyless Access technology has been around for about two decades. Telling people to use their keyfob like a normal key in their $100k luxury car is not a good look

That's archaic. Keyless Access technology has been around for about two decades. Telling people to use their keyfob like a normal key in their $100k luxury car is not a good look
That is archaic. Should be able to use your phone as a key every time without issues.

Proximity works extremely well for me, virtually flawless.

That is archaic. Should be able to use your phone as a key every time without issues.
I haven’t used my key fob in a very, very long time. I did take it out once because I was going to a place that had valet. Other than that, never. My mobile key works very well. I do keep the key card in my wallet as a back up, but haven’t pulled it out in a long time.

Reactions: DBV
Proximity works extremely well for me, virtually flawless.
Owning an i4, I trust you know what consistent behavior means, I’m shocked! You’re telling me the lucid proximity works just as well as BMWs? You can walk up to your lucid trunk, press the trunk release button and expect it to open on the first try? This never works for me, I usually have to walk around to the side of the car do a dance and then doors open and THEN I can open the trunk

Owning an i4, I trust you know what consistent behavior means, I’m shocked! You’re telling me the lucid proximity works just as well as BMWs? You can walk up to your lucid trunk, press the button and expect it to open on the first try?
With mobile key, pressing the trunk button does not open it unless the doors are already unlocked. So, you need to get in the habit of walking around the side first to let the doors unlock. Silly, I know, but that’s the way it works. There is no antenna in the rear of the car. If you take your phone out of your pocket and hold it up by the rear window, it will detect it, but I have a tendency to leave my phone in my pocket all the time so walking around the side is easier. The fob makes this process a bit easier. Since I rarely use the trunk, it’s not a big deal for me.

Back