More Software Bugs

This site is a mix of real owners who are generously sharing their experiences to help other owners, and also to help prospective buyers who want to know what they're getting into. It's also members who have reserved, maybe confirmed, who might or not buy, depending on what they learn here. I'm guessing the number of the latter is growing much faster than the former, at least because new deliveries have ground to a halt.

As a reserver who is here to learn as much as possible before a send a 6-fig wire, I'd really like to know how prevalent the problems/bugs are (let's face it--no owner has said she's been disappointed by the drive characteristics---they've met/exceeded early expectations). But the complaints strike me as a bit of a shock in terms of their variety and severity.

On this score, I dismiss the frequent qualifies: "we knew it was a start up", "you should have seen Tesla 8 years ago", ("you should see Tesla now!"), "they're only software problems"...etc.

Nope. It's 2022, Lucid started raising serious money 6 years ago, tech has only evolve in your favor over that time, your key people came from Tesla and left because they knew better (which I believe), market acceptance is greater than you could have predicted (30,000 @ $100K!)

Someone posted here--w/o any comment--the opinion that Lucid released the car to the public before it was ready. To me, this is key--but what does "ready" mean? For the people who's car when turtle for no reason, or screens went black on the highway, or whose doors locked them out (or IN!!)--THEIR cars weren't ready to be released to them. But are these outliers, or the norm, within the the maybe 1500 cars that have been delivered? If the majority of new owners are having serious problems I want to know it before I buy

I think Lucid is at a tipping point...vs Tesla, Lucid is supposed to be Next-Gen...if they disappoint in important ways, buyers like me will simply wait it out for the new offerings coming from all over the world in the next few years.

Lucid has seduced a lot of people (me so far) with great aesthetics and diving characteristic....but it can't be less reliable than a Honda Civic..at least for a a lot of us
Like Parachute, I am trying to decide whether to make the jump to confirm my reservation. I am most concerned about software bugs. Some of the problems reported on this site are much bigger than I would expect from a car like this. My question is how prevalent are they and are they being dealt with by the OTA updates? Does every car have bugs where the software does not work as intended? Does anyone have a problem-free car?

Like Parachute, I am trying to decide whether to make the jump to confirm my reservation. I am most concerned about software bugs. Some of the problems reported on this site are much bigger than I would expect from a car like this. My question is how prevalent are they and are they being dealt with by the OTA updates? Does every car have bugs where the software does not work as intended? Does anyone have a problem-free car?
Is there a such thing as a problem-free car? EV or not?

Yes. Car infotainment systems are notoriously terrible.

My Porsche will randomly refuse to load the cameras, often won't let go of my phone from Carplay when I leave the car and/or won't connect when I get in the car. Sometimes it will take 5 minutes to start as the car seemed to totally shut down instead of go to sleep. It has had over 45 days in service at the dealership. I've had an issue before where I could not even get it to start and it had to be towed to the dealership. Oh, and Google POI search vanished for 2 months after a backend server update.

My Tesla (no longer have it) would randomly get updates that would make Autopilot barely usable. It would occasionally reboot all interior displays while driving (which means losing air conditioning, speedometer, map, etc).

Going further back: My car with Ford MyFordTouch (MFT) 2 it would randomly crash and go into "scheduled system maintenance" (their shotty attempt at hiding a reboot) and be unusable for 10+ minutes at a time. They actually took away features from the time I bought the car to the final revision. They had to rebuild the entire OS after their subcontractor screwed it up and made it unusable and slow. When it was rebuilt, it was missing many features (but significantly more stable)

The system on Lucid needs work, yes. However, the car itself is fantastic, support takes care of you, and they are giving significant OTA updates (That are actually OTA), in contrast to what my Porsche, old ford, etc, etc had. (I think the OS in the Mustang Mach-E and F-150 does OTA also now)

There may be a tendency to magnify problems when reading the forums. I mean, how many of us owners wake up on a daily basis, have an uneventful to great drive that day, then are rushing to post the topic "My Lucid worked great today"? As opposed to something annoying happening, which a lot of us (me included) might immediately either post about it for whatever reason or search the forums to see if it happened to anyone else and what the resolution was. Just naturally a higher level of attention to the negatives.

Maybe we should poll current owners whether they think the car is undrivable, drivable but bugs make it intolerable, very annoying but tolerable, mildy annoying but mostly great, or just fantastic all the time. Or ask an even simpler question, would you buy it again? That might give an interesting gestalt perspective of current user experiences.

Also, as pointed out in other threads be sure to report bugs you find to Lucid via the Customer Care email. From what i've seen with the OTA updates so far and the next one that is coming in the next day or so, they're clearly listening to customers and updating the system with things we want along with fixing issues. After 3 years of reporting bugs to Audi and doing nothing about fixing them at least Lucid is listening and doing something.

Re: OTA, yes, they do update. See, for example, the massive nav overhaul in the latest 1.2.6.

There may be a tendency to magnify problems when reading the forums. I mean, how many of us owners wake up on a daily basis, have an uneventful to great drive that day, then are rushing to post the topic "My Lucid worked great today"? As opposed to something annoying happening, which a lot of us (me included) might immediately either post about it for whatever reason or search the forums to see if it happened to anyone else and what the resolution was. Just naturally a higher level of attention to the negatives.

Maybe we should poll current owners whether they think the car is undrivable, drivable but bugs make it intolerable, very annoying but tolerable, mildy annoying but mostly great, or just fantastic all the time. Or ask an even simpler question, would you buy it again? That might give an interesting gestalt perspective of current user experiences.
After three months and 1500 miles in my DE, I vote “mildly annoying but mostly great.” I’ve grown accustomed to the dash reflection and brake-release “thunk.” I still curse at the designers when it comes time to 1) close the garage door after backing out, as it requires so many levels of closing out screens and opening other screens; 2) do anything to change music; or 3) clean the cream-colored floor mats.

1) You have to open your nav, then hit the charging button on the main box
2) It's listed in your app, Settings -> Lucid Charging Plan -> Plan Summary
3) They will be sent to your car and then you will either get a notification on your phone, or inside the car, there will be a dot on the settings wheel button when there is an update
Where do I find the Electrify America enrollment code? Did Lucid send one? I’m planning a trip this weekend and wanted to stop at one of their chargers.

Where do I find the Electrify America enrollment code? Did Lucid send one? I’m planning a trip this weekend and wanted to stop at one of their chargers.
There is none. You're automatically enrolled at the time of purchase. Just pull up to the EA charger and plug it in to your car. It should automatically start charging after the handshake. Worked for me the other day in Santa Barbara.

There is none. You're automatically enrolled at the time of purchase. Just pull up to the EA charger and plug it in to your car. It should automatically start charging after the handshake. Worked for me the other day in Santa Barbara.
Thank you!

After three months and 1500 miles in my DE, I vote “mildly annoying but mostly great.” I’ve grown accustomed to the dash reflection and brake-release “thunk.” I still curse at the designers when it comes time to 1) close the garage door after backing out, as it requires so many levels of closing out screens and opening other screens; 2) do anything to change music; or 3) clean the cream-colored floor mats.
My service tech said they have Grey colored floor mats coming out soon.

Yeah the plug and charge at EA has worked flawlessly for me every time. I’d say second most convenient is Chargepoint. For Chargepoint you just have the app on your phone and hold it in front of the charger, and then plug in and it works so it’s one step then plug and charge. Sometimes the EA charging handshake can take a couple minutes to start charging so be patient. Most Chargepoint “fast” chargers peak at 62kw though so they’re only useful if you’re gonna leave your car for a bit.

Is there a such thing as a problem-free car? EV or not?
Yes there are plenty unless you buy the super expensive ones then they are supposed to only be driven on weekends after they have spent the weekdays in the shop 😀. Even my lowly suburbans. Two of them only required oil,changes until 100K miles THEN All Hell breaks loose on them. Same thing on my “Used“ Q45 and LS430 and a QX80. I know a lot of you are used to the exotics but there are some regular folk here who bought these thinking they would at least get us from point A to point B without any issues.

certainly should not have trunks and frunks flying open, know maybe a bit melodramatic but we also have a small number of Cars on the road. Can understand blank screens and software issues but basic functions should have been thoroughly tested And functional. And yes we knew this was a start up and their first model. 🙏

I end with cant wait to get the car back tomorrow from front PPF and Graphene on the rest and drive and have all the fun experiences you guys have been having Including updating to 1.2.6

My vote would be the same on my GT after 2 months and 2000 miles - mildly annoying but mostly great. Agree with the garage door closing - I just use the clicker attached to my sun visor. I’m not thrilled with the general slowness of the UI especially the initial boot time. And unlocking the door as I approach the vehicle with just my phone as mobile key seems to have taken a step back with the latest update. Still serviceable but now a second or two behind and more times where I have to wait around twiddling my thumbs before the door recognizes my proximity and opens. Debating on going back to carrying the fob because door unlocking notwithstanding, it’s also much easier to access the frunk and trunk with the fob.

unlocking the door as I approach the vehicle with just my phone as mobile key seems to have taken a step back with the latest update
I have to agree with this. I just can’t pinpoint what the trigger is. Sometimes it’s flawless and other time I’m fumbling around at the door trying to get it to open.

I have to agree with this. I just can’t pinpoint what the trigger is. Sometimes it’s flawless and other time I’m fumbling around at the door trying to get it to open.
Yup. I’m finding myself doing a lot more ‘hard presses’ to trigger the door handles now.

Yup. I’m finding myself doing a lot more ‘hard presses’ to trigger the door handles now.
While I've only had my car a few days, I too have noticed a difference since updating last night. Less sensitive to detect the phone key and sometimes takes 5 seconds or so of standing next to the door waiting for it to open.

Back