More Software Bugs

Procedure I have become accustomed to in the Lucid: walk out to garage and car recognizes phone and unlocks within 3 seconds. Climb in and immediately step on brake pedal to get the systems started. Grab and fasten seat belt, put car in reverse, back out using ONLY the backup camera because the 360-surround view is not ready yet. Once out of the garage, curse the stupid system because surround view has come on, preventing use of garage opener buttons. Hit “X” to close surround view, hope to hit the little house symbol to make garage door choices pop up, hit garage door button. The Homelink programming is stupid and I’m convinced the programmers don’t have a car or a house, but it’s a relatively minor stupidity that you learn to live with.
Haha my exact process as well!

I have carefully read this entire thread and would like to offer my opinion. I was a little bit earlier to the non-Tesla EV world when I purchased a 2019 Jaguar I Pace in late 2018 ($92k). I have about 35,000 miles on the car now and here are some impressions that might sound reminiscent of those of Lucid.

The software is terrible. I takes a good 30 seconds to boot up. Most button presses are followed by at least a two second delay before anything happens. The car does have CarPlay, but it only connects about 50% of the time. The other 50% I have to unplug my phone wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Once connected, it works well. Sometimes it locks up and needs to be reconnected. By contrast, the CarPlay in my “beater”, a 2016 Explorer, boots up instantly when I get in the car and has never failed me.

If I stop the car and get out (like to get the mail), it completely shuts off as soon as my butt leaves the seat. Can be avoided by putting it in Park and manually setting the parking brake. Then, when getting back in, I must put on the seatbelt in order to manually release the parking brake and put it back in drive. Easier to just start it up again. Problem is, the air conditioning turns off so if anybody else is in the car it gets suddenly uncomfortable, especially here in the summer.

Several times, I’ve gotten in the car and no screens have come on. I turn the car off, locked it, waited a few minutes, and re-entered and everything was fine again. That happened to my wife once, and she drove about 20 minutes with absolutely no speedometer, radio, or climate control. It fixed itself. That, the car always fixes itself and has never been back for any necessary service except updating software, which was supposed to be OTA but that didn’t quite happen. OTA seems to work better now, but since they entirely replaced the system with a new one beginning in 2021, we older users aren’t getting updates anymore. No upgrade path is available.

The menus and navigation system are so convoluted and bad that I literally have never use them. I always use CarPlay. I find that works very well unless it decides not to.

Like the Lucid, the Jag has a full glass roof and I live in San Diego where I can get quite hot, but it is tinted very well and although the glass might be pretty warm to the touch, the inside of the car feels good. It does take longer than my other cars to cool down, but once I get going it works well. The car has a huge windshield, and although it doesn’t come over the top like the Lucid, it still has a lot of area for sunlight to enter. I’ve been meaning to get it tinted but haven’t yet had a chance.

The car is stupid fast. And that’s with only 400hp as stated by the manufacturer. It goes 0 to 60 in 4 1/2 seconds, which I now know is a snail compared to the Lucid.

It is very comfortable but kind of small inside. The back door opening is really small and anyone over 5 feet has to bend awkwardly to get in, and is then comfortable. The legroom and cargo is pretty small for an SUV. The frunk can hold only a lunchbox, a child’s one.

The iPhone app is fairly non-functional. It will tell me if it’s charging and I can unlock and lock the doors, but each of those operations takes about 30 seconds and requires a PIN to be entered. That makes it pretty useless to me. In fact, a secondary developer has made an app for the iPhone and another one for android. These are better, but really don’t do a heck of a lot more than give information about the car.

It charges at a rate of about 16 additional miles per charge hour on the 50 amp charger I have at home. That’s very slow compared to the Lucid, but fast enough for me. I plug it in at night and I have a full battery in the morning. I have rarely charged the car elsewhere other than home, but the few times I did it at Electrify America it was kind of a pain in the ass. One charger wouldn’t work, I’d have to move to a different one, etc. I think this is more of a function of the car, because friends of mine who drive other brands of electrics don’t experience the same problems at EA. It’s frustrating, one time I plugged it in and everything looks good, and my wife and I went and had a long lunch. I came back and no charging had occurred.

The car does air suspension it is convenient to raise it up a little bit when parking near a curb. I kind of wish that Lucid had some sort of front lift system, but I will have to get used to that. The Homelink controls are on the mirror like mqny cars, and they always work. I do find I have to hold the button for about twice as long as any of my other cars to get it to function. The range is super short and I have to have the nose of the car pointed right at the garage and at no greater than 20 feet away for it to work.

There is no wireless charging. The dashboard is configurable but only has a few configurations that are basically rearrangements of the same lack of information. I wish, for example, that I could get a display of how many miles per kilowatt hour I am getting. Instead I get kilowatt hours per mile. I have to do a conversion to compare that to other cars.

AM radio has a terrible buzzing sound that varies with the speed. It goes from a low buzz at low speeds to a high-pitched buzz at about 70 miles an hour. This makes it nearly impossible to listen to it. I use satellite radio all the time, and that works well. I truly hope that Lucid gets their act together on that one.

The cupholders are so small that anything greater in diameter than a 12 ounce can gets completely stuck. I have to pull it out with such great force that I risk splashing everything when it finally releases. Storage in the car is pretty bad except an exceptionally deep (but small opening) center console, which sounds like a good idea, but results in things just simply getting lost in there.

The seats are reasonably comfortable, but have no adjustment for bottom seat length so my thigh support at 5‘10“ is lacking.

The car has about 220 miles of range, although it was advertised as 273. I make numerous trips to Los Angeles and back and that’s why I’ve ordered the Lucid. Currently, I need to charge at my in-law’s house, which involves unplugging their dryer and running a long wire to the car. It’s only 30amp (old house) so the car charges at only 10 miles per charge hour. Needless to say, I am forced to stay overnight every time I want to visit unless I go to Electrify America which is not a sure bet.

But here’s the interesting thing: despite all the complaints and quibbles I have, I absolutely love this car. The driving experience is excellent and I’m thrilled that I have it. When I test drove Lucid, the driving experience was similar. Of course, with a much higher horsepower so acceleration is much faster. But the smoothness and solid feel of the car felt remind me of the Jaguar. That’s why I have a confirmed order for a GT. I’m not in any rush, and I ordered the 20” wheels and will receive it, I hope, by the end of this year. Or not. While I hope they work out all the software bugs, especially the extra couple keypresses to access home link (Tesla functionality is best to this, it is aware of where the car is and opens and closes the door automatically without any key presses) and the absence of CarPlay and sat radio. For me, a car like this is about the driving experience. I want the software to mature and speed up but it is not a dealbreaker.

Attachments

• 37684712-D0A9-48C1-A925-FCB8277E1157.jpeg
    37684712-D0A9-48C1-A925-FCB8277E1157.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I have carefully read this entire thread and would like to offer my opinion. I was a little bit earlier to the non-Tesla EV world when I purchased a 2019 Jaguar I pace in late 2018 ($92k). I have about 35,000 miles on the car now and here are some impressions that might sound reminiscent of those of Lucid.

The software is terrible. Most button presses are followed by at least a two second delay before anything happens. The car does have CarPlay, but it only connects about 50% of the time. The other 50% I have to unplug my phone wait a few minutes and plug it back in. Once connected, it works well. Sometimes it locks up and needs to be reconnected.

Several times, I’ve gotten in the car and no screens have come on. I turn the car off, locked it, waited a few minutes, and re-entered and everything was fine again. That happened to my wife once, and she drove about 20 minutes with absolutely no speedometer, radio, or climate control. It fixed itself. That, the car always fixes itself and has never been back for any necessary service except updating software, which was supposed to be OTA but that didn’t quite happen.

The menus and navigation system are so convoluted and bad that I literally have never use them. I always use CarPlay. I find that works very well unless it decides not to.

Like the Lucid, the Jag has a full glass roof and I live in San Diego where I can get quite hot, but it is tinted very well and although the glass might be pretty warm to the touch, the inside of the car feels good. It does take longer than my other cars to cool down, but once I get going it works well. The car is a huge windshield, and although it doesn’t come over the top like the Lucid, it still has a lot of area for sunlight to enter. I’ve been meaning to get it tinted but haven’t yet had a chance.

The car is stupid fast. And that’s with only 400 hp as stated by the manufacturer. It goes 0 to 60 in 4 1/2 seconds, which I now know is a snail compared to the Lucid. It is very comfortable but kind of small inside. The back door opening is really small and anyone over 5 feet has to bend awkwardly to get in, and is then comfortable. The legroom and cargo is pretty small for an SUV. The frunk can hold only a lunchbox, a child’s one.

The iPhone app is fairly non-functional. It will tell me if it’s charging and I can unlock and lock the doors, but each of those operations takes about 30 seconds and requires a pin number to be entered. That makes it pretty useless to me. In fact, a secondary developer has made an app for the iPhone and another one for android. These are better, but really don’t do a heck of a lot more than give information about the car.

It charges at a rate of about 16 additional miles per charge hour on the 50 amp charger I have at home. That’s very slow compared to the Lucid, but fast enough for me. I plug it in at night and I have a full battery in the morning. I have really charge the car elsewhere other than home, but the few times I did it at Electrify America it was kind of a pain in the ass. One charger wouldn’t work, I’d have to move to a different one, etc. I think this is more of a function of the car, because friends of mine who drive other brands of electrics don’t experience the same problems at EA. It’s frustrating, one time I plugged it in and everything looks good, and my wife and I went and had a long lunch. I came back and no charging had occurred.

The car does air suspension it is convenient to raise it up a little bit when parking near a curb. I kind of wish that Lucid had some sort of front lift system, but I will have to get used to that. The Homelink controls are on the mirror like lesser cars, but they always work. I do find I have to hold the button for about twice as long as any of my other cars to get it to function. The range is super short and I have to have the nose of the car pointed right at the garage and at no greater than 20 feet away for it to work.

There is no wireless charging, the dashboard is configurable but only has a few configurations that are basically rearrangements of the same lack of information. I wish, for example, that I could get a display of how many miles per kilowatt hour I am getting. Instead I get kilowatt hours per mile. I have to do a conversion to compare that to other cars.

AM radio has a terrible buzzing sound that varies with the speed. It goes from a low buzz at low speeds to a high-pitched buzz at about 70 miles an hour. This makes it nearly impossible to listen to it. I use satellite radio all the time, and that works well. I truly hope that Lucid gets their act together on that one.

The cupholders are so small that anything greater in diameter than a 12 ounce can gets completely stuck. I have to pull it out with such great force that I risk splashing everything when it finally releases. Storage in the car is pretty bad except an exceptionally deep (but small opening) center console, which sounds like a good idea, but results in things just simply getting lost in there.

The seats are reasonably comfortable, but have no adjustment for bottom seat length so my thigh support at 5‘10“ is lacking.

The car has about 220 miles of range, although it was advertised as 273. I make numerous trips to Los Angeles and back and that’s why I’ve ordered the Lucid. Currently, I need to charge at my in-law’s house, which involves unplugging their dryer and running a long wire to the car. It’s only 20amp (old house) so the car charges at only 10 miles per charge hour. Needless to say, I am forced to stay overnight every time I want to visit unless I go to Electrify America which is not a sure bet.

But here’s the interesting thing: despite all the complaints and quibbles I have, I absolutely love this car. The driving experience is excellent and I’m thrilled that I have it. When I test drove Lucid, the driving experience was similar. Of course, with a much higher horsepower so acceleration is much faster. But the smoothness and solid feel of the car felt remind me of the Jaguar. That’s why I have a confirmed order for a GT. I’m not in any rush, and I ordered the 20” wheels and will receive it, I hope, by the end of this year. Or not. While I hope they work out all the software bugs, especially the extra couple keypresses to access home link (Tesla functionality is best to this, it is aware of where the car is and opens and closes the door automatically without any key presses) and the absence of CarPlay and sat radio. For me, a car like this is about the driving experience. I want the software to mature and speed up but it is not a dealbreaker.
Fantastic I-pace review, thank you! Love the looks of the I-pace, so it’s nice to get an owner’s perspective on the car’s faults. You are correct about the Air providing a similarly satisfying experience, despite a few glaringly stupid software design features. You’ll be glad to know that a lot of the complaints you have about the I-Pace don’t exist in the Lucid. It doesn’t get hot in the sun. The back seat is huge and the entry is easy (with soft-close doors all around!). There is plenty of cabin storage, the frunk is huge, it charges fast and has enormous charge capacity. The virtues of EV driving are the same…instant brutal acceleration, no transmission or lag. These cars (all EV manufacturers) are the future, and we can all be proud to be helping usher it in.

I know the ifttt one, and there is one that requires a subscription. Probably go the ifttt route if myQ doesn't get their alexa support together.
That’s what I did - an Alexa routine to get MyQ to close the door. You only need IFTTT if you want to open the garage door, but that’s a security risk - plus, homelink works fine for opening.

Haha my exact process as well!
After getting the HOOBS homebridge and setting everything up to work with Apple HomeKit via Siri, I have zero of these problems anymore. When I get close to home, my Apple Watch pops up with an open the garage door alert and so I just tap it and it’s already opened the door before Lucid’s Homelink even pops up. As I’m backing out I just tap my watch and it closes the garage door. Or I can say “Siri close the garage door” and it always works. Using Siri commands to open the Lucid frunk/trunk is a bit more inconsistent, seems to depend on whether the car is asleep or not but sometimes it works when the car is asleep and other times not.

That’s what I did - an Alexa routine to get MyQ to close the door. You only need IFTTT if you want to open the garage door, but that’s a security risk - plus, homelink works fine for opening.
Is it really that much of a security risk? Its easier to just grab a rock and break a window.

A lot of home security is security theatre. Its not unusual for someone to have a several inch thick reinforced door.... next to a glass window.
If you want real security, find a lock that the LPP doesn't hate, and get this glass:

Procedure I have become accustomed to in the Lucid: walk out to garage and car recognizes phone and unlocks within 3 seconds. Climb in and immediately step on brake pedal to get the systems started. Grab and fasten seat belt, put car in reverse, back out using ONLY the backup camera because the 360-surround view is not ready yet. Once out of the garage, curse the stupid system because surround view has come on, preventing use of garage opener buttons. Hit “X” to close surround view, hope to hit the little house symbol to make garage door choices pop up, hit garage door button. The Homelink programming is stupid and I’m convinced the programmers don’t have a car or a house, but it’s a relatively minor stupidity that you learn to live with.
Great post!! I hope I can find it 15.5 months from now when I (maybe) get my car.

Have you considered just clipping the transmitter to the visor until L does a workaround on Homelink?

So hilarious!!!! :)

3 Questions:

1. How do I access where to find the charging stations on the pilot screen?

2. How do I find out the expiration date of my free 3 years of charging for Electrify America?

3. How do I download a new update when they are available?

Thank you in advance from an old dinosaur when it comes to the latest in computers. I believe I have everything else down so far.

3 Questions:

1. How do I access where to find the charging stations on the pilot screen?

2. How do I find out the expiration date of my free 3 years of charging for Electrify America?

3. How do I download a new update when they are available?

Thank you in advance from an old dinosaur when it comes to the latest in computers. I believe I have everything else down so far.
1) You have to open your nav, then hit the charging button on the main box
2) It's listed in your app, Settings -> Lucid Charging Plan -> Plan Summary
3) They will be sent to your car and then you will either get a notification on your phone, or inside the car, there will be a dot on the settings wheel button when there is an update

1) You have to open your nav, then hit the charging button on the main box
2) It's listed in your app, Settings -> Lucid Charging Plan -> Plan Summary
3) They will be sent to your car and then you will either get a notification on your phone, or inside the car, there will be a dot on the settings wheel button when there is an update

Thank you. They should hire you as a SA for the company.

I have carefully read this entire thread and would like to offer my opinion. I was a little bit earlier to the non-Tesla EV world when I purchased a 2019 Jaguar I Pace in late 2018 ($92k). I have about 35,000 miles on the car now and here are some impressions that might sound reminiscent of those of Lucid.

The software is terrible. Most button presses are followed by at least a two second delay before anything happens. The car does have CarPlay, but it only connects about 50% of the time. The other 50% I have to unplug my phone wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Once connected, it works well. Sometimes it locks up and needs to be reconnected.

Several times, I’ve gotten in the car and no screens have come on. I turn the car off, locked it, waited a few minutes, and re-entered and everything was fine again. That happened to my wife once, and she drove about 20 minutes with absolutely no speedometer, radio, or climate control. It fixed itself. That, the car always fixes itself and has never been back for any necessary service except updating software, which was supposed to be OTA but that didn’t quite happen.

Like the Lucid, the Jag has a full glass roof and I live in San Diego where I can get quite hot, but it is tinted very well and although the glass might be pretty warm to the touch, the inside of the car feels good. It does take longer than my other cars to cool down, but once I get going it works well. The car has a huge windshield, and although it doesn’t come over the top like the Lucid, it still has a lot of area for sunlight to enter. I’ve been meaning to get it tinted but haven’t yet had a chance.

The car is stupid fast. And that’s with only 400hp as stated by the manufacturer. It goes 0 to 60 in 4 1/2 seconds, which I now know is a snail compared to the Lucid.

It is very comfortable but kind of small inside. The back door opening is really small and anyone over 5 feet has to bend awkwardly to get in, and is then comfortable. The legroom and cargo is pretty small for an SUV. The frunk can hold only a lunchbox, a child’s one.

The iPhone app is fairly non-functional. It will tell me if it’s charging and I can unlock and lock the doors, but each of those operations takes about 30 seconds and requires a PIN to be entered. That makes it pretty useless to me. In fact, a secondary developer has made an app for the iPhone and another one for android. These are better, but really don’t do a heck of a lot more than give information about the car.

It charges at a rate of about 16 additional miles per charge hour on the 50 amp charger I have at home. That’s very slow compared to the Lucid, but fast enough for me. I plug it in at night and I have a full battery in the morning. I have rarely charged the car elsewhere other than home, but the few times I did it at Electrify America it was kind of a pain in the ass. One charger wouldn’t work, I’d have to move to a different one, etc. I think this is more of a function of the car, because friends of mine who drive other brands of electrics don’t experience the same problems at EA. It’s frustrating, one time I plugged it in and everything looks good, and my wife and I went and had a long lunch. I came back and no charging had occurred.

The car does air suspension it is convenient to raise it up a little bit when parking near a curb. I kind of wish that Lucid had some sort of front lift system, but I will have to get used to that. The Homelink controls are on the mirror like mqny cars, and they always work. I do find I have to hold the button for about twice as long as any of my other cars to get it to function. The range is super short and I have to have the nose of the car pointed right at the garage and at no greater than 20 feet away for it to work.

There is no wireless charging. The dashboard is configurable but only has a few configurations that are basically rearrangements of the same lack of information. I wish, for example, that I could get a display of how many miles per kilowatt hour I am getting. Instead I get kilowatt hours per mile. I have to do a conversion to compare that to other cars.

The car has about 220 miles of range, although it was advertised as 273. I make numerous trips to Los Angeles and back and that’s why I’ve ordered the Lucid. Currently, I need to charge at my in-law’s house, which involves unplugging their dryer and running a long wire to the car. It’s only 30amp (old house) so the car charges at only 10 miles per charge hour. Needless to say, I am forced to stay overnight every time I want to visit unless I go to Electrify America which is not a sure bet.

I have a MY22 I pace!

They black screen issue was common at the beginning when you didn’t give the car time to boot up. You will just have to wait in your lucid as well! Jaguar fixed this in later models. I’m glad I don’t have to wait, but agree that it is a minor inconvenience. In newer models you can just get in and drive. Hopefully Lucid will fix it quicker.

I agree the frunk is essentially useless. I use it carry a backup cord for trickle charging in case of emergencies. That’s all that fits! I feel like Lucid’s frunk is too big though. Would have preferred a shorter car! But I understand Lucid did that because the trunk is more limited. Tough to beat a hatchback

Haven’t had any issues charging at EA stations (other than having to pay) lol

I have a MY22 I pace!

They black screen issue was common at the beginning when you didn’t give the car time to boot up. You will just have to wait in your lucid as well! Jaguar fixed this in later models. I’m glad I don’t have to wait, but agree that it is a minor inconvenience. In newer models you can just get in and drive. Hopefully Lucid will fix it quicker.

I agree the frunk is essentially useless. I use it carry a backup cord for trickle charging in case of emergencies. That’s all that fits! I feel like Lucid’s frunk is too big though. Would have preferred a shorter car! But I understand Lucid did that because the trunk is more limited. Tough to beat a hatchback

Haven’t had any issues charging at EA stations (other than having to pay) lol
With a model year 22, you have the new software. I’m super jealous! The old system is a slow and convoluted mess. The funny thing is, it really doesn’t detract from my love for this car. I still love the way it drives and I enjoy it every day. Hell, my DB9 has AM/FM/CD and nav that makes a 20 year old TomTom look amazing, but I still love it! The fact is, we all complain about software, but in reality I only adjust the music and that’s pretty much it. CarPlay solves almost all of the problems with any car‘s user interface (especially navigation) as far as I’m concerned. If there’s anything that Lucid needs, it’s CarPlay… especially the wireless version. Hopefully that’ll be soon! My GT with 20 inch wheels likely won’t be ready for delivery until late this year or even early next year. I’m going to keep the Jag and get rid of a different car (928). It’ll be fun to make the comparison. Can’t wait!

Other than underdeveloped infotainment software and a creaky steering wheel (which will eventually get replaced), my car has been pretty much perfect (1,200 miles). If the software is not greatly improved over the next 12 months, my opinion might drastically turn. The truth is that if the Plaid didn't have a yoke, that's probably what I would have bought. Regardless, I believe Lucid (even as it is right now) is the best luxury EV... at least my car is :).
Could not agree more on Yoke being a problem with Plaid and that forced me to buy older 100D. Eventually, i
Will buy lucid once issues are resolved.

With a model year 22, you have the new software. I’m super jealous! The old system is a slow and convoluted mess. The funny thing is, it really doesn’t detract from my love for this car. I still love the way it drives and I enjoy it every day. Hell, my DB9 has AM/FM/CD and nav that makes a 20 year old TomTom look amazing, but I still love it! The fact is, we all complain about software, but in reality I only adjust the music and that’s pretty much it. CarPlay solves almost all of the problems with any car‘s user interface (especially navigation) as far as I’m concerned. If there’s anything that Lucid needs, it’s CarPlay… especially the wireless version. Hopefully that’ll be soon! My GT with 20 inch wheels likely won’t be ready for delivery until late this year or even early next year. I’m going to keep the Jag and get rid of a different car (928). It’ll be fun to make the comparison. Can’t wait!

I agree that all I need is CarPlay. The native functions for nav, media, aren’t that important as long as I have my phone to do those things for me. I find that once I settle into a car the only things I change are the climate and driving modes.

I wish my Jaguar saved the seat heating/cooling functions. I find myself turning on the ventilated seats every day! Does Lucid do this?

My other big gripe is that it doesn’t auto lock when you leave it. My last car did and I have never gotten used to locking the I Pace when I park. I’m looking forward to having that functionality!

I agree that all I need is CarPlay. The native functions for nav, media, aren’t that important as long as I have my phone to do those things for me. I find that once I settle into a car the only things I change are the climate and driving modes.

I wish my Jaguar saved the seat heating/cooling functions. I find myself turning on the ventilated seats every day! Does Lucid do this?

My other big gripe is that it doesn’t auto lock when you leave it. My last car did and I have never gotten used to locking the I Pace when I park. I’m looking forward to having that functionality!
It should auto lock. Ask service if it is not.

(Also, mine saves my heating/cooling settings, but strangely not auto wipers)

Is it really that much of a security risk? Its easier to just grab a rock and break a window.

A lot of home security is security theatre. Its not unusual for someone to have a several inch thick reinforced door.... next to a glass window.
If you want real security, find a lock that the LPP doesn't hate, and get this glass:
No, it’s easier to just yell at Alexa through an open window or through the door, and yelling at Alexa doesn’t trigger the alarm.

Back