Mojave mats in a Santa Cruz interior

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
My Mojave mats arrived today so I tried them in. At first I was torn thinking should I have gone with black but the more I study them I think the grey works well with the grey material on the doors as well as the seats which are not a “black “ black. As the big Lebowski would say” I think the carpet really pulls it together”. Bunny you can weigh in. What say the rest of you Airheads? I’m already tired of cleaning the white carpets every time I glance at them. They will be for special occasions.

Attachments

• 3201455F-689F-4591-B174-1466226B7406.jpeg
    3201455F-689F-4591-B174-1466226B7406.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 369
  • FA664C10-CCBB-4617-A211-84DA98F11803.jpeg
    FA664C10-CCBB-4617-A211-84DA98F11803.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 350
  • E1AFAA11-E3B2-4AD1-9B0F-5035E93C8ABA.jpeg
    E1AFAA11-E3B2-4AD1-9B0F-5035E93C8ABA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 380
  • 9520E41F-BF1F-436E-8CFF-C590E17B82C1.jpeg
    9520E41F-BF1F-436E-8CFF-C590E17B82C1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 340
My Mojave mats arrived today so I tried them in. At first I was torn thinking should I have gone with black but the more I study them I think the grey works well with the grey material on the doors as well as the seats which are not a “black “ black. As the big Lebowski would say” I think the carpet really pulls it together”. Bunny you can weigh in. What say the rest of you Airheads? I’m already tired of cleaning the white carpets every time I glance at them. They will be for special occasions.
Thanks for posting these. The look great and I have been thinking of doing the same when I finally get my car.

I’ve ordered the same set, so off course I think yours looks great.

Why would you put such cheap carpet into your $150k car?!

I don’t mind them either. Thanks for posting, I’m still waiting for mine to come in.

They appear pretty modest-sized! I may deface my Air with a deep rubber mat from Tuxmat, Maxpider, or whoever will step up to make them. I have a tendency to get dirt on the vertical carpet on either side of the footwell. Tuxmats are great for covering these areas.

I know I’m going to be in the minority here, but this entire discussion reminds me of my grandmother, who used to keep the plastic cover on the living room couch years after it was delivered.

I live in Colorado. My car carpets get dirty quick. Rocks, dirt, debris from snow, and on and on. Hiking and snowboarding trips are murder on a car.

To me, dirt is dirt. Doesn’t matter if it‘s dirt on black or dirt on white. It still looks like dirt. The majority of the dirt here doesn’t “blend” in to any carpet, unless you have ”dirt brown” carpets.

My Tesla’s mats are black. The carpet is black. Still looks terrible when it‘s dirty.

So I clean my mats regularly, and I have the carpet of the car around the mats cleaned regularly, too, because the dirt never confines itself to the mats.

I guess I don’t see the point in buying giant, black rubber mats that will make my beautiful Santa Cruz interior ugly 100% of the time just so I can keep the cream carpet underneath—that no one will ever see—clean.

The Mojave mats are an interesting idea, but they come close enough to matching that the fact they are off by just a teeny bit would bug me. And again, dirt on dark grey vs dirt on cream? Still dirt.

But by all means, ignore me and carry on.

I know I’m going to be in the minority here, but this entire discussion reminds me of my grandmother, who used to keep the plastic cover on the living room couch years after it was delivered.

I live in Colorado. My car carpets get dirty quick. Rocks, dirt, debris from snow, and on and on. Hiking and snowboarding trips are murder on a car.

To me, dirt is dirt. Doesn’t matter if it‘s dirt on black or dirt on white. It still looks like dirt. The majority of the dirt here doesn’t “blend” in to any carpet, unless you have ”dirt brown” carpets.

My Tesla’s mats are black. The carpet is black. Still looks terrible when it‘s dirty.

So I clean my mats regularly, and I have the carpet of the car around the mats cleaned regularly, too, because the dirt never confines itself to the mats.

I guess I don’t see the point in buying giant, black rubber mats that will make my beautiful Santa Cruz interior ugly 100% of the time just so I can keep the cream carpet underneath—that no one will ever see—clean.

The Mojave mats are an interesting idea, but they come close enough to matching that the fact they are off by just a teeny bit would bug me. And again, dirt on dark grey vs dirt on cream? Still dirt.

But by all means, ignore me and carry on.
I’m mostly with you on this opinion. I also don’t think darker colored mats ‘hide’ dirt better. Dirt is dirt. Nothing beats pre-treatment plus regular after care and cleaning.

That being said, I did end up getting and keeping the Motor Trend car mats because the color turned out to be an exact match for my Tahoe interior. And I think the rubber is hardier and easier to clean than the carpet. Still, I waffle back and forth because although the color match is exact, it’s still not the original elegant look of the carpet with embroidery and leather trim.

Nothing beats pre-treatment plus regular after care and cleaning.
what type of pre-treatment are you guys using? and what type of after care/cleaning do you guys do and at what frequency? i don't drive a nice car, so a lot of these cosmetic "care" efforts are foreign to me. thanks!

what type of pre-treatment are you guys using? and what type of after care/cleaning do you guys do and at what frequency? i don't drive a nice car, so a lot of these cosmetic "care" efforts are foreign to me. thanks!
I use Scotchguard for the mats and the car’s carpets. You actually can also use the shoes’ water repellent stuff from Walmart, $4,5 per canister. Two should suffice for a sedan. Depending on my OCD status, sometimes I also apply 303 UV protectant on the external rubber gaskets. I like the Griot’s garage interior cleaner, safe for all surfaces and not shiny.

I just did several layers of Scotch Guard and then periodic vacuuming. Pretty simple and pretty effective so far!

I just did several layers of Scotch Guard and then periodic vacuuming. Pretty simple and pretty effective so far!
I’ve never used Scotch Guard. Does it leave behind any strong chemical scent? Off-gassing, etc?

Not to get all hippy-dippy, but I don’t want to sit in a cloud of chemicals every time I get in my car.

I’ve never used Scotch Guard. Does it leave behind any strong chemical scent? Off-gassing, etc?

Not to get all hippy-dippy, but I don’t want to sit in a cloud of chemicals every time I get in my car.
Newport, still smells like leather in my car after scotchguarding and having those rubber mats everywhere lol

I went 1000% overboard with the Scotch Guard several times but after letting it air dry, zero odor that I could detect personally.

Spraying with all windows down and outside the garage should not leave any lingering chemical smell after a few hours.

Or you can follow CDC guidelines and wear triple masks!

I wish Lucid would have made the carpet on the floor black. Easiest to keep clean.

Back