Mobile or Service Center appointment for wind noise

Reaction score
Cars
Tesla Model Y, Acura MDX
I just picked up a 2024 Air Pure from Roswell GA. The car was in great condition.
On my 30-minute ride home I heard whistling noise from the front of the car. This was more prominent over 60 miles per hour.
I am not handy so I cannot implement some of fixes suggested by some members.
I am coming for Tesla Model Y which is not as nice as Lucid Air so I hope this is not with in "spec" type of response.
Is this a mobile appointment or a service center appointment?

Have same issue after my first service. Let me know your findings.

Guys, There are whole entire threads of several people including myself trying to fix this issue. I've personally sent my car in to service 4 times..they replaced rubber gaskets around the doors, window seals, applied clips etc etc. And I tightened the door myself by moving in the door striker. Nothing worked and I've now resigned to living with what is a whistling sound at 60mph. I hate it. If you can fix it please let me know!

I noticed the same as well after picking up the air pure in July. Did a test drive with mobile tech and observed that it is only pronounced when driving against a headwind. Going in the opposite direction on the same highway didn’t produce the issue. Tech felt it is within spec but asked me to contact back if it is bothering me too much. I am on a wait and watch mode to see experience of others. Tech mentioned there were initial issues with mirrors and door seals but he didn’t find any issue with mine. My current take is it is within the spec but will go back to them if others have more success in getting rid of the issue.

Guys, There are whole entire threads of several people including myself trying to fix this issue. I've personally sent my car in to service 4 times..they replaced rubber gaskets around the doors, window seals, applied clips etc etc. And I tightened the door myself by moving in the door striker. Nothing worked and I've now resigned to living with what is a whistling sound at 60mph. I hate it. If you can fix it please let me know!
@Bobby put some weather stripping on his door frame he showed me this past weekend. He said he's making a video about it!

looking forward to Bobby’s video!

@Bobby put some weather stripping on his door frame he showed me this past weekend. He said he's making a video about it!
I tried some weather stripping too and it didn't work. I also tried filling the channel against which the window closes with foam in order to create a tighter seal. No dice. I tried keeping the rubber seals moist via Gummi fledge. Nothing. Hopefully Bobby can solve it for us !

I swear there was a thread that talked about some foam above the headlights right where the hood openings/air flow channel is ..I can't find that discussion anymore...

There are multiple fixes for "wind noise". I think some people perceive wind noise as a gap in the weather stripping but it really is some buffeting coming from a different source that makes its way into the cabin. For me, mine was the black trim on the hood. A clip had broken and so there was a small gap between the hood and the trim of about 1/8" and that caused my noise issue. It's touch to pin down but Bobby said his cabin is whisper quiet now.

Thanks hydbob..in case you have before and after pics of your hood and trim etc..ie the fix..please do share...if I can achieve a whisper quiet cabin...I'll be ecstatic..it's literally the only issue I have with a car I love otherwise

There are multiple fixes for "wind noise". I think some people perceive wind noise as a gap in the weather stripping but it really is some buffeting coming from a different source that makes its way into the cabin. For me, mine was the black trim on the hood. A clip had broken and so there was a small gap between the hood and the trim of about 1/8" and that caused my noise issue. It's touch to pin down but Bobby said his cabin is whisper quiet now.
This is the problem I am experiencing. I have an appointment to address in a few weeks - second one.

This is the problem I am experiencing. I have an appointment to address in a few weeks - second one.
I emailed them today for a 5th appointment about this issue.

I just made a service appointment. Coming for Tesla I was shocked that I was able to talk with someone.
I was also surprised that I can go in this weekend to get it looked at. It was taking a minimum of 40 days to get a Tesla service appointment in its Atlanta locations.

Today I drove to the service center to get wind noise fixed. I drove at speed reaching 80 mph but there was no wind noise. So I canceled the appointment in person. On the way back there was no wind noise. Perhaps one of my windows may have been slightly open when I took the delivery and it caused the wind noise

Today I drove to the service center to get wind noise fixed. I drove at speed reaching 80 mph but there was no wind noise. So I canceled the appointment in person. On the way back there was no wind noise. Perhaps one of my windows may have been slightly open when I took the delivery and it caused the wind noise
Curious if wind direction played any role? When I drove with the mobile tech to troubleshoot my issue, wind direction was a huge factor. Noise going southbound and no noise opposite direction on the tollway. I really don’t know the wind direction that day - I should have notes it! But it was night and day with regards to what was observable.

Curious if wind direction played any role? When I drove with the mobile tech to troubleshoot my issue, wind direction was a huge factor. Noise going southbound and no noise opposite direction on the tollway. I really don’t know the wind direction that day - I should have notes it! But it was night and day with regards to what was observable.
Not complaining...but a car, not a Lucid but any car worth driving, I would hope is designed in a manner where the direction of the wind outside would not play much of a role in the level of buffeting sounds entering the cabin. Not asking for Rolls Royce levels of sound insulation, but at least BMW level expectations should be fair game at this spend band. My 2013 BMW should not be my benchmark for buffeting in the cabin, my new 2023 $110K+ car should be.

Not complaining...but a car, not a Lucid but any car worth driving, I would hope is designed in a manner where the direction of the wind outside would not play much of a role in the level of buffeting sounds entering the cabin. Not asking for Rolls Royce levels of sound insulation, but at least BMW level expectations should be fair game at this spend band. My 2013 BMW should not be my benchmark for buffeting in the cabin, my new 2023 $110K+ car should be.
Totally agree!

Please respect the guidelines, especially:
  • BE HELPFUL: Try to stay true to our goal of helping each other. Posting problems just to vent is not helpful to anyone. If you had a poor experience, post something that others will benefit from. Think: constructive criticism. Refrain from “entitlement” attitudes by avoiding narratives such as, “I spent $xxxxxx on this car so therefore…,” etc.

Back