Mirror auto unfold?

This is ridiculous. I have a 2016 Model S and from the get go it had the capability for me to exit the car and have it park it in my tiny 1 car garage as well as being able to have it exit the garage with either the key or app. Why in the world doesn’t the Lucid have this capability?
Probably because it's low on the list of importance for the majority of people. I think the ability for people to park and summon from a 1 car garage is a niche case. There are many more "important" features for Lucid to focus on rather than a summon feature.

Probably because it's low on the list of importance for the majority of people. I think the ability for people to park and summon from a 1 car garage is a niche case. There are many more "important" features for Lucid to focus on rather than a summon feature.

+1. These cars are complex beasts with many features. Each consumer has to decide which combination of features, and at what cost, will work for that consumer. For some it might be a Tesla; for others it might be an Ionic 5, and for others it might be a Lucid; etc.

For me the Lucid feature list is not perfect but if it figures out how to make its features work, it is a good combination for me. Perhaps not for LucidHerb but it is great that we have choices.

+1. These cars are complex beasts with many features. Each consumer has to decide which combination of features, and at what cost, will work for that consumer. For some it might be a Tesla; for others it might be an Ionic 5, and for others it might be a Lucid; etc.

For me the Lucid feature list is not perfect but if it figures out how to make its features work, it is a good combination for me. Perhaps not for LucidHerb but it is great that we have choices.
That let's 'em off a little easy, to me. One big benefit of a startup is the opportunity to sit back and cherrypick the best features of all the existing manufacturers. You can bootstrap their R&D and market research and duplicate the ones that the market most likes and that are most cost effective.

Lucid has missed that opportunity in a few ways.....

That let's 'em off a little easy, to me. One big benefit of a startup is the opportunity to sit back and cherrypick the best features of all the existing manufacturers. You can bootstrap their R&D and market research and duplicate the ones that the market most likes and that are most cost effective.

You are assuming that everyone agrees on the best features. An example: I love a headup display and I have it on my BMW. On the BMW forum, there are a number of folks who state that they hate it and won't buy a car with it (even though you can turn it off); others, like me, love it. I have been turned off by the Bugs Bunny grilles on many new BMWs; but some folks like them.

I love adaptive cruise control; there are others who despise it and want traditional dynamic cruise control.

The list could go on and on.

You are assuming that everyone agrees on the best features. An example: I love a headup display and I have it on my BMW. On the BMW forum, there are a number of folks who state that they hate it and won't buy a car with it (even though you can turn it off); others, like me, love it. I have been turned off by the Bugs Bunny grilles on many new BMWs; but some folks like them.

I love adaptive cruise control; there are others who despise it and want traditional dynamic cruise control.

The list could go on and on.
Fair points---I too love HUD---and SiriusXM. Maybe L did the research and figured people like me (who won't buy w/o SXM) are such a minority that it doesn't pay to cater to them

Of course a lot of OEMs came to the opposite conclusion...

(BTW I've looked for every video I can find of the iX to see of there is some color/trim combo that might erase the effect of the grills to a barely-acceptable point...still searching)

It's not letting them off easy, it's just with limited resources, that feature is not at the top of their priority list.

Fair points---I too love HUD---and SiriusXM. Maybe L did the research and figured people like me (who won't buy w/o SXM) are such a minority that it doesn't pay to cater to them

Of course a lot of OEMs came to the opposite conclusion...

(BTW I've looked for every video I can find of the iX to see of there is some color/trim combo that might erase the effect of the grills to a barely-acceptable point...still searching)
I know. Except for the looks the IX is a great car with mature software.

The excuse BMW uses is that it is selling a lot of cars so it must be doing something right on design. But that is a flawed analysis. Right now everyone is pretty much selling everything they can make; what BMW has done very well is figure out how to keep making cars with some features missing because of the parts shortage. What BMW has done very well, and much better than others, is manufacturing, not design.

It's not letting them off easy, it's just with limited resources, that feature is not at the top of their priority list.
Certainly not limited financial resources---obviously limited programming resources

I know. Except for the looks the IX is a great car with mature software.

The excuse BMW uses is that it is selling a lot of cars so it must be doing something right on design. But that is a flawed analysis. Right now everyone is pretty much selling everything they can make; what BMW has done very well is figure out how to keep making cars with some features missing because of the parts shortage. What BMW has done very well, and much better than others, is manufacturing, not design.
Yeah, but that grill is Really in-your-face---and they've expressed it beautifully in the past (eg those 90's 6 Series---they Must have focus-grouped it (?).

Yeah, but that grill is Really in-your-face---and they've expressed it beautifully in the past (eg those 90's 6 Series---they Must have focus-grouped it (?).
I can't believe they focus grouped it unless the focus group is Adrian van Hooydonk looking in the mirror.

China/Indonesia is the largest sales volume area for BMW and Mercedes and the large grills are very popular there…

China/Indonesia is the largest sales volume area for BMW and Mercedes and the large grills are very popular there…

IMHO it is not just size. It is orientation. Look at these two MB versions:

To me...the first one looks aggressive and I like it; the second one looks fat and bulbous (I don't like it). My biggest problem with the newer BMW bugs bunny grilles is that they look fat like the second picture.

My point was that they are catering to their largest market.

IMHO it is not just size. It is orientation. Look at these two MB versions:

To me...the first one looks aggressive and I like it; the second one looks fat and bulbous (I don't like it). My biggest problem with the newer BMW bugs bunny grilles is that they look fat like the second picture.
The MB 63 GT is really, really great looking...I hadn't seen it...

I saw the newest BMW Grille in person, how absolutely revolting looking, even worse than the pictures. There’s no excuse for ruining an otherwise good car like that. Aside from the Taycan, ETron and maybe Genesis, Lucid appears to be the only company making a good looking car these days. EV6 is ugly. ID4 is even uglier. BMW iX looks like a cheese grater mated with a Jeep. EQS looks like a rectal suppository. Thank goodness for the artists at Lucid making something cool to look at. I guess the Ioniq5 is kinda cool in a retro way, but it’s still too boxy and angular. Still to this day when I see 1950s Corvettes and Mercedes I wonder why those absolutely beautiful pinnacles of design didn’t end up in the future. 🥲

I saw the newest BMW Grille in person, how absolutely revolting looking, even worse than the pictures. There’s no excuse for ruining an otherwise good car like that. Aside from the Taycan, ETron and maybe Genesis, Lucid appears to be the only company making a good looking car these days. EV6 is ugly. ID4 is even uglier. BMW iX looks like a cheese grater mated with a Jeep. EQS looks like a rectal suppository. Thank goodness for the artists at Lucid making something cool to look at. I guess the Ioniq5 is kinda cool in a retro way, but it’s still too boxy and angular. Still to this day when I see 1950s Corvettes and Mercedes I wonder why those absolutely beautiful pinnacles of design didn’t end up in the future. 🥲
I still love to look at my I Pace, even though it is actually really five years old now. It’s a bit odd looking, but not ugly from any angle.

I still love to look at my I Pace, even though it is actually really five years old now. It’s a bit odd looking, but not ugly from any angle.
Yeah that’s a fair point. And I forgot the MachE looks pretty good, though I cringe with every cell in my body of somebody making a Mustang into an SUV, but hey Porsche and Lamborghini jumped that shark awhile ago so ok, that’s the reality in which we exist.

1654719003934.png

My DA responded. As far as he knows, there is no way to disable this feature and the mirrors always auto-unfold, regardless of whether they were manually folded or they automatically folded. This is head-smackingly stupid and I'm in denial. Test drive scheduled for Saturday morning, so I'll see for myself. Potential workaround would be to never lock the car when it is parked in the garage, but I have a feeling that I'll find out on Saturday that the car also always auto-locks. So very very sad right now.
I dare not drive into or out of my garage with the mirrors out, but it just requires that I press the button on the screen (before placing in reverse) to close them.

Back