Mirror auto unfold?

Sorry for not being clearer in my post - this isn't about driving at speed. It is about slowly pulling out of a tight space. To park in my garage I have to close the mirrors because the passenger side of the car is too close to the wall (passengers have to exit the vehicle before pulling into the garage). On an MS, you can disable auto-fold so that the mirrors stay closed when you unlock, and while you are slowly pulling the car out of the garage. I think whatever federal law applies allows for that type of experience, because it has been a feature on all of the Teslas for a while, and someone else in this thread noted that it was their experience with a non-Tesla DD.
My point exactly, i just want control of the side mirrors in tight spaces and at very slow speeds, but 5 mph is too slow.

Unfortunately, you'll get the whole, "that's not a problem because you shouldn't have a problem with it" a lot around here.

The whole point of Lucid imho is to surpass other cars. It absolutely should have these basic functions. They REALLY need to start regular small software updates incrementally adding these very basic things. If we have to wait months and months only to get an update to highway assist, my frustration will grow.

Not that this helps you, but Teslas can disable the auto fold on unlock. Additionally, they will not unfold automatically until you reach 31 mph. You can also turn on/off lowering the mirrors when in reverse. Lucid will likely add these things... at some point.

In very cold climates it is also important to be able to disable the auto fold since they can freeze easily.

How skinny are so many garages? I have never parked in one without a one foot clearance on each side. Aren’t they a standard width? Even my F250 with the mirrors out clears the doors.
Unfortunately, not here in Philly. I think many of these garages were originally for carriages (built in the late 1800s / early 1900s). Through the garage doorway, I have about 1" of clearance on each side of the folded mirror, and then once inside maybe 3" of clearance against the passenger-side wall. Pics below....

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
Unfortunately, you'll get the whole, "that's not a problem because you shouldn't have a problem with it" a lot around here.

The whole point of Lucid imho is to surpass other cars. It absolutely should have these basic functions. They REALLY need to start regular small software updates incrementally adding these very basic things. If we have to wait months and months only to get an update to highway assist, my frustration will grow.

Not that this helps you, but Teslas can disable the auto fold on unlock. Additionally, they will not unfold automatically until you reach 31 mph. You can also turn on/off lowering the mirrors when in reverse. Lucid will likely add these things... at some point.

In very cold climates it is also important to be able to disable the auto fold since they can freeze easily.
Thank you! That's all I'm saying - I was very excited about Lucid making up for some of the shortcomings of an MS - unrefined interior, rough ride for the price point, etc. If what the DA told me is correct, then it will be quite a disappointment. Also, I am not throwing in the towel. As you've noted, this could be fixed with a minor software update. Maybe that software update happens before my order becomes completely non-cancelable? I'm already past the point of refund on that first $1k, so I might as well let it ride to see how this plays out. Also, we'll see how Saturday's test drive goes. Who knows how the logic is coded - maybe the DA was wrong and if you manually fold the mirrors then they don't auto-unfold? They only auto-unfold if auto-folded?? 🤞🤞🤞

Thank you! That's all I'm saying - I was very excited about Lucid making up for some of the shortcomings of an MS - unrefined interior, rough ride for the price point, etc. If what the DA told me is correct, then it will be quite a disappointment. Also, I am not throwing in the towel. As you've noted, this could be fixed with a minor software update. Maybe that software update happens before my order becomes completely non-cancelable? I'm already past the point of refund on that first $1k, so I might as well let it ride to see how this plays out. Also, we'll see how Saturday's test drive goes. Who knows how the logic is coded - maybe the DA was wrong and if you manually fold the mirrors then they don't auto-unfold? They only auto-unfold if auto-folded?? 🤞🤞🤞
Yeah, sucks that such a small thing (that should already be there) might prevent you from getting one. In better news, the car definitely feels and drives more evolved than the Model S. Maybe there is away to disconnect the mirror's motor power cable 😂?

I’m sure if customer care is emailed explaining the situation with examples and the recommendation it should be considered. The button is already on the pilot panel so could just be a minor software tweak. In other words it’s not impossible just whether Lucid will add it to the list.

They should create a site to put suggestions and upvote on the software to know what to focus on.

My DA responded. As far as he knows, there is no way to disable this feature and the mirrors always auto-unfold, regardless of whether they were manually folded or they automatically folded. This is head-smackingly stupid and I'm in denial. Test drive scheduled for Saturday morning, so I'll see for myself. Potential workaround would be to never lock the car when it is parked in the garage, but I have a feeling that I'll find out on Saturday that the car also always auto-locks. So very very sad right now.
the car will automatically lock after a certain period of time of being inactive. So leaving it unlocked is not an option either.

Yeah, sucks that such a small thing (that should already be there) might prevent you from getting one. In better news, the car definitely feels and drives more evolved than the Model S. Maybe there is away to disconnect the mirror's motor power cable 😂?
Dude, I sh$t you not - I'm over here weighing the pros and cons of knocking a mirror-sized hole in my garage wall. Because I can close the mirror again, right? It is just that initial open that will mess it up. So if I make a little pocket in the wall......

Dude, I sh$t you not - I'm over here weighing the pros and cons of knocking a mirror-sized hole in my garage wall. Because I can close the mirror again, right? It is just that initial open that will mess it up. So if I make a little pocket in the wall......
Now you absolutely have to do that. Lol

Sorry for not being clearer in my post - this isn't about driving at speed. It is about slowly pulling out of a tight space. To park in my garage I have to close the mirrors because the passenger side of the car is too close to the wall (passengers have to exit the vehicle before pulling into the garage). On an MS, you can disable auto-fold so that the mirrors stay closed when you unlock, and while you are slowly pulling the car out of the garage. I think whatever federal law applies allows for that type of experience, because it has been a feature on all of the Teslas for a while, and someone else in this thread noted that it was their experience with a non-Tesla DD.
Sorry, I didn't truly understand your concern. Yes, it would be very useful if auto mirror unfold could be disabled when the vehicle is parked in a very tight spot or the driver is pulling into, or backing out of, a very tight parking spot. I wasn't trying to be flippant about your issue; it seems perfectly valid.

What other brands don't have the mirrors auto unfold when unlocking the car? Every Audi i've owned has done this and if I want them to fold back in I needed to manually flick the switch to do so.
On my BMW if I lock the car, the mirrors fold and when I unlock the car they unfold. But if I use the button to fold the mirrors, they stay unfolded until I either use the button again or start driving faster than 14 mph.

Since maximum reversing speed seems to be 12mph per another thread, perhaps it would be sensible for Lucid to set 12mph (rather than the current 5mph) as the auto unfold threshold.

#firstworldproblems :)

Unfortunately, not here in Philly. I think many of these garages were originally for carriages (built in the late 1800s / early 1900s). Through the garage doorway, I have about 1" of clearance on each side of the folded mirror, and then once inside maybe 3" of clearance against the passenger-side wall. Pics below....
Damn that’s tighter than my 1940s brick garage. They could easily do a software fix where just like how you can press and hold on smooth Mode and you get the soft/strong regeneration, maybe you could press and hold on the mirror close button and get a “disable auto-fold” function. Also are we 100% certain the mirrors would full open into an obstacle? Maybe if the car auto brakes for cross traffic and the frunk won’t chop your arm off, the mirrors won’t open into an object?

I’m thinking your GT deserves a new house/garage. ;-)

Damn that’s tighter than my 1940s brick garage. They could easily do a software fix where just like how you can press and hold on smooth Mode and you get the soft/strong regeneration, maybe you could press and hold on the mirror close button and get a “disable auto-fold” function. Also are we 100% certain the mirrors would full open into an obstacle? Maybe if the car auto brakes for cross traffic and the frunk won’t chop your arm off, the mirrors won’t open into an object?
That's a great idea! It is possible the DA doesn't have the details, and the system is actually "smart" and won't unfold the mirror if it detects an obstacle next to the car. Will add that to the list of things for Sat's test drive. Thanks for the suggestion!

So….no clear answer. Pre-test drive, the SA was confident that if the mirrors were manually folded, they would stay. He worked for Tesla for a few years, and his response was very much like “of course that’s what will happen, that’s just a thing that smart cars do.” We could not actually get this to happen during test drive. Mirrors always opened on approach to car. But, the car was not configured with a driver profile, and SA thought that maybe that piece of information was stored in the driver profile. He promised to check with the dev team and follow up with me. Will keep everyone posted!

So….no clear answer. Pre-test drive, the SA was confident that if the mirrors were manually folded, they would stay. He worked for Tesla for a few years, and his response was very much like “of course that’s what will happen, that’s just a thing that smart cars do.” We could not actually get this to happen during test drive. Mirrors always opened on approach to car. But, the car was not configured with a driver profile, and SA thought that maybe that piece of information was stored in the driver profile. He promised to check with the dev team and follow up with me. Will keep everyone posted!
Your SA sounds like he used to work for other car dealers with stretching the truth a bit. Could you test the auto-unfold feature by putting an object very close to the mirror to see if it would unfold into it? While mirror position definitely is part of a driver profile, I seriously doubt folded state would be, like how would the car know to stay folded while you approached in the garage? The other issue you’re going to have is the proximity “stop” alerts are going to go off like crazy for you, it does with my garage but does not auto-brake thank goodness.

Forgot to mention that point - I asked about testing whether the car would sense an object and not open the mirror. SA said he was sure it didn’t do that, and didn’t want to try for fear of messing up the mirror. On the bright side - the test drive was fantastic! Much quieter and smoother than an MS (test drive car had 19” wheels on it). Totally worth cutting a small hole in the garage wall.

This is ridiculous. I have a 2016 Model S and from the get go it had the capability for me to exit the car and have it park it in my tiny 1 car garage as well as being able to have it exit the garage with either the key or app. Why in the world doesn’t the Lucid have this capability?

Back